“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#507859 Mar 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Consciousness is being aware of one's existence ..
I use the word "self-consciousness" for that. For me, consciousness means awareness of the environment without any implied awareness of the self. I lizard is conscious. Is it aware of its own existence? Maybe. How about a fish? They are probably not aware of themselves as such. If not, they are still conscious - except when sleeping. As I use the words, consciousness is more like sentience, vigilance or wakefulness than self-awareness.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. by juxtaposing the words, slanting his writing, Dr. Parnia is using slight of hand to convince the reader that he has proven a soul. For me, that's not science at its best ..
I'm not sure that Parnia is the guilty one here. He may be doing good science and using language appropriately. It may be only zealous Christians that are claiming that he is looking for the Christian soul, or that he claims to have found it.

I read several links by and about him, plus looked at a YouTube about him, and never saw him overstep the bounds of professional propriety, although he may well have done so elsewhere.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#507860 Mar 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If heaven and hell exist, then yes, I would, although I would like an escape clause. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to go on existing forever.
<quoted text>
I smell a string attached. And I suspect that it will be a far sight more costly than filling out a form. Let me guess: I have to believe something that is unbelievable to me. Am I warm?
Let me tell you about a free gift that I have for you: a million dollars. It's already yours. You've already won it.
What's that you say? You just expect me to give it to you. There one small proviso. Yeah, I guess that does mean that it' not really yours yet, is it. But it can be. All you have to do is ask for it, which must be done while earnestly believing that you are a beaver.
Or are you too proud, too rebellious?
Of course, it's not enough just to say that you believe that you're a beaver, even if you get buck teeth and a fat, flat tail grafted on. Nor is it enough to do good works, such as gnawing down trees or building dams. You have to believe that you are a beaver sufficiently to pass a lie detector test.
So, the billion is already yours - a free gift. All you have to do is ask for it, Bucky.
Is it enough to believe she HAS a beaver?

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#507861 Mar 22, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Morning....
It is.....F_R_I_D_A_Y
>>>ECHO>>> >ECHO>>>ECHO> >>
“Some people forget to plant in the spring,
idle away the summer hours
and then expect to reap in the fall.”
This days thought
Hi Epi :)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#507862 Mar 22, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey RT....
Are you 19? My Grandaughter is 19 (will be 20 next month)....1993 was a good year...:-)....We were blessed she wa born 2 and a half months premature and weighed 1 pound 10 ounces. Now she is normal weight and very smart (just doesn't know what she wants out of life right now)....
Do you go to college now...do you live in China?
Hey EP2

I'm 19. I'll be 20 on May 21st. I'm excited about not being a teenager any more and I'm also a little bit scared about not being a teenager.

I weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces. Black hair. Brown eyes. I'm Chinese but I was born in South Korea:)

I go to college. I have lived in China but I don't right now. My parents are medical doctors so I think I might be too but like your grand daughter, I'm not sure yet. We have some time to figure it out, right?

Fennario

#507863 Mar 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
LOL. I was waiting for that.

I posted this a few days ago, just before your arrival here:

Location hidden

#507865 Mar 22, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I would, very much, so I can't accidentally insult you :-)
LOL...yes I've changed my name... again... I still like it though!
It's cool Lupy. I don't have any other names. I get in enough trouble with this one.

BT doesn't like the friend thing so can we just be nice people?

Fennario

#507866 Mar 22, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
so called idiot"doctor"
Here's a new foreign phrase for you, Latka:

soi-disant - self-styled (as claimed by and for yourself often without justification) "the self-styled `doctor' has no degree of any kind"
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn...

Have we got this cleared up? I'm the doctor, and you're the completely insane and obscene wannabe.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#507867 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cool Lupy. I don't have any other names. I get in enough trouble with this one.
BT doesn't like the friend thing so can we just be nice people?
BT? I kid of do my own thing but righto...

Location hidden

#507868 Mar 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
^_-

I'm raising a female Asian eyebrow.

Location hidden

#507870 Mar 22, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
BT? I kid of do my own thing but righto...
I want to be "friends" with everybody here.

I think we can be.

As Lone Watie says: We must endeavor to persevere.

Fennario

#507871 Mar 22, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Lucky man,Emerson,Lake and Palmer song.
That's right.

It's one of my favorite ballads. Though the chord progression is simple and the lyrics basic, the song consistently brings a tear to my eye and energizes my spirit. You can't help but pity the soldier. The melody is hauntingly beautiful, and the synthesizer solo is one of the best and best known keyboard solos from that genre and era. I cant think of anything else close. There's the harpsichord solo in In My Life, which is a also very famous rock keyboard solo, but as nice as it is, it's lame by comparison.

My only criticism - the soldier was found by a bullet? That feels like an anachronism. To me, that was a song about knighthood and chivalry. He should have been killed by a sword.

==========

A song with a similar haunting feeling about a soldier's death is Knocking On Heaven's Door. Do you know it? That one's about a sheriff that has been fatally wounded in a gunfight and is fading away. He is talking to his wife as he dies. The lyrics are very sad:

Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down

Nice chatting about music with you rather than the other.

Location hidden

#507872 Mar 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right.
It's one of my favorite ballads. Though the chord progression is simple and the lyrics basic, the song consistently brings a tear to my eye and energizes my spirit. You can't help but pity the soldier. The melody is hauntingly beautiful, and the synthesizer solo is one of the best and best known keyboard solos from that genre and era. I cant think of anything else close. There's the harpsichord solo in In My Life, which is a also very famous rock keyboard solo, but as nice as it is, it's lame by comparison.
My only criticism - the soldier was found by a bullet? That feels like an anachronism. To me, that was a song about knighthood and chivalry. He should have been killed by a sword.
==========
A song with a similar haunting feeling about a soldier's death is Knocking On Heaven's Door. Do you know it? That one's about a sheriff that has been fatally wounded in a gunfight and is fading away. He is talking to his wife as he dies. The lyrics are very sad:
Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
Nice chatting about music with you rather than the other.
I know everything. Was that in doubt? It shouldn't be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#507873 Mar 22, 2013
Regarding well known keyboard solos from rock, I forgot the Doors' Light My Fire. That's probably the best known one of that era and genre. It was done on an electric piano.

Other very familiar keyboard solos that I could recall after thinking about it for a few minutes include the organ solos in the Zombies' Time Of The Season, Procol Harums' Whiter Shade Of Pale, Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride, and The Who's Baba O'Reilly.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#507874 Mar 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord? Save us from your followers.
The believers of christ? You and your followers of Satan are delusional idiots.
Adam

#507875 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're gay. I knew it.
Thanks for coming out.
I am against them you are with them. Who´s gay? It is really you and not me.

Fennario

#507876 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KRQAWfsHkCYXX
Thanks. Can you watch that and not suffer? The Spanish version not so much. It was beautiful musically, but the pathos didn't survive the translation.

Have you seen any of the extra verses that have been added over the years?

Mama, I can hear that thunder roar
Echoin' down from God's distant shore
I can hear 'em callin' out from my soul
http://www.ondragonswing.com/ninjababe/lyrics...
Adam

#507877 Mar 22, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Morning....
It is.....F_R_I_D_A_Y
>>>ECHO>>> >ECHO>>>ECHO> >>
“Some people forget to plant in the spring,
idle away the summer hours
and then expect to reap in the fall.”
This days thought
Hi Epiphany2. How´s going?
Rosa Winkel

Surry Hills, Australia

#507878 Mar 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KRQAWfsHkCYXX
The original version of that song is much better than the Guns n' Roses' cover.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#507879 Mar 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
Eye c 2

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#507880 Mar 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<< Click, click, click >>
<< The noise of stiletto heels as HL approaches ..
<< RT's breathing quickens >>
HL: Are you experienced?
RT: No.
HL: Good, I'll turn the camera on.
<< censored >>
Does the camera vibrate?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Hidingfromyou 773,497
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 4 min Ricky F 23,957
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Rick in Kansas 264,982
Technical Levent Profilo Levent Servis 342 OO 2... 10 min tenzanen 1
Magoo's Bar and grill (Jul '07) 10 min Ricky F 4,992
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 14 min Ricky F 53,249
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Estelle 558,858
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 28 min The Awakener 175,510
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Dolphin 441,751
More from around the web