Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

mike wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks
Often while in despair it is necessary to ignore the obvious, survival hinge on hope and determination.
This is an entertainment site, to express a GOD here would indicate you don't expect to be taken seriously.
Don't underestimate the power of the mind.
Fine mike... I don't underestimate any mind.

No-one can express God mike... no-one.
As for the mind?
Never!
Take Care

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
Maybe you're being facetious. Maybe you're trying in RiversideRedneck way attempting to illustrate a concept.
Nevertheless...
Actually, I was being flippant...
"Insist", implies that I'm doing something that isn't acceptable or normal, and by some sort of forbearance on your part, you accept that myself, atheists, or others will do that.
In the context of my post, "insist" had nothing to do with "acceptable or normal". It had to do with bring forceful or demanding.

I don't think atheists are unacceptable or abnormal, not at all. I'm sorry that you have that impression of me.

I think most atheists are pretty good people. It's the ones that seek to remove religion & change America to their "my way or the highway" attitude that I have a problem with.
I don't need your permission to point out the flaws in religious beliefs.
Nevertheless, you have it.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
Let's see how our collection plate stacks up.
And how successful our happy hours turn out.
Then we'll deduct Pastor Catcher's generous salary (I have to maintain the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed, you understand).
And we must also deduct the amount of our charitable donations to the community at large.
Come to think of it, we may run a little short. Should we perhaps create a TV program, a la Swaggert/Bakker et al.? With a good sales pitch and continual flashing of our 800 number, we may have something!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps I can help...or make things worse.
The open-mindedness of most people that accept religious claims are like the openness of a mousetrap. It's only open until a mouse comes in to take the cheese. Then it's shut. Some mice may only smell the cheese, or take a small bite. Only one mouse really grabs the cheese enough to close the trap, and then no other mice can get at that cheese.
**Clipped for space, no disrespect intended, full comment found here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Thank you for the time and effort you put into this post Tide, I appreciate it and am chewing on it. I don’t claim to be the brightest light bulb in the package, which is why I decided to look up logical fallacies for a refresher after my initial reading your post above…I find it particularly interesting that the site I pulled up states:
Ad hominem-
An ad hominem argument is any that attempts to counter another’s claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself. True believers will often commit this fallacy by countering the arguments of skeptics by stating that skeptics are closed minded.
http://theskepticsguide.org/resources/logical...
Does the above not suggest that stating that a person is closed minded is in fact attacking the person?(The comment that Christians are closed minded was what I was calling to attention *originally* as a character attack - I feel like my point is disappearing in the argument)
The claim to be open-minded is frequently used by people who wish to sound virtuous, and simultaneously make their opponent sound intolerant, while defending or promoting their ideas and beliefs.
This appeal to be 'open-minded' is a fallacious one. Its message is simply: be credulous.
http://www.ukskeptics.com/appeal-to-an-open-m...
I am sorry…I am not trying to argue here, but I feel that a simple point has been argued to death in an attempt to not address it for what it was. If I may restate the issue?
1. Statement that: No unbeliever is using slander or character attacks.
2. All believers are closed minded:“What do you think of a mind that accepts claims without sufficient evidence, the definition of religious faith? Is that an open mind to you? If so, you don't want that kind of open mind. That barely qualifies as a mind at all.”
I saw #2 as a character attack so called #1 to attention.
~Question~
Is #2 not a character attack?
Ok, going to go get dinner ready. Again thank you for your post Tide and I will read into it some more, it contained lots of information.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
The myth of PerfectDeity™, Perfection, TheDeal, Muh'ChosenPeople and...
MostImportantThing—Ever!
Once upon a time...
PerfectDeity™ made TheDeal with primitive nomadic desert dwellers to worship PerfectDeity™ in exchange for *favor* thousands of years ago in a far off, isolated land and called them Muh'ChosenPeople. The stories of the TheDeal were transmitted orally, and eventually became SketchyStories - although there was writing at the time.
Some of Muh'ChosenPeople finally learned to write and put SketchyStories in books. No one else could share in the TheDeal because it was just for Muh'ChosenPeople. That was part of TheDeal. PerfectDeity™ liked Muh'ChosenPeople better than RestOfTheWorld. RestOfTheWorld had to worship <blur> and it was fine they didn't have the TheDeal. Every so often, PerfectDeity™ decided the worshipers of <blur> who were living near Muh'ChosenPeople should die or suffer for being infidels and such, and not being Muh'ChosenPeople. So, he told Muh'ChosenPeople to attack and kill RestOfTheWorld, or in reality a very, very, very - very small part of it, many times, with no evidence left behind.
PerfectDeity™ grew tired of Muh'ChosenPeople, because the TheDeal improved them little to none, and they didn't worship PerfectDeity™ per - TheDeal. So, TheDeal with Muh'ChosenPeople was amended and PerfectDeity™ upgraded to Ver.3, because long before TheDeal, the FirstTwoPeople who were PerfectAndMadeInHisImage screwed up in Ver.1 of Perfection, renamed TheDeal in Ver.2 for Muh'ChosenPeople.
Ver.3 - MostImportantThing—Ever!
Premise:
PerfectDeity™ turns himself human to sacrifice himself to himself to save his own creations from the wrath of himself.
Just .·:*¨`*†BELIEVE†*¨`*:·. <(V.3 slogan)
PerfectDeity™ made MostImportantThing—Ever! available to {everyone}, but first entrusted it to somewhat literate itinerant laborers, drifters, and others with little else to do but join a cult. Human PerfectDeity™ was one of them, had himself killed(TheBigPlan), then vanished later on...
Similar to TheDeal, MostImportantThing—Ever! was transmitted orally, this time to PeopleWhoChoose=>Him© in a few languages, resulting in even more SketchyStories. It was all finally written down, edited, and put in one book about 300 years later.
PeopleWhoChoose=>Him© couldn't agree on what it meant or even be sure that they were getting the MostImportantThing—Ever!, because it was still SketchyStories and needed to be translated into a few more languages, untranslated, and retranslated into many other languages and decoded at times to understand just how unclear it was, which made it pretty clear, probably. Then people started to form DenomiNations.
Full of metaphor, hyperbole, allegory, and a few literal parts, it needs to be read with /INDWELLING\, or it's even better if PeopleWhoChoose=>Him© and KnowBeyondDoubt tell you what it means, even though they aren't sure, so some of those who KnowBeyondDoubt went to school for years to absolutely know beyond a doubt they weren't 100% sure.
There are some people who don't think it's PerfectDeity™ or the MostImportantThing—Ever! because no PerfectDeity™ can be verified or has, so they opted for noesis, however, just know that "all TrueHistorians&SeriousScho lars!" believe some parts may have happened so don't be saying, believing or thinking anything that people who KnowBeyondDoubt say you shouldn't say, think or believe because then you're just being an unreasonable ass...
...m'kay?
Now it's thousands of years after Ver.1 - Perfection, and Ver.2 - TheDeal, that PerfectDeity™ exchanged for worship to Muh'ChosenPeople and later upgraded so {everyone} can be the PeopleWhoChoose=>Him© in Ver.3 - MostImportantThing—Ever!, two thousand years ago, and incredibly...
Some people in the world today still haven't heard of PerfectDeity™, or the MostImportantThing—Ever!
Ahahahaha!!
That's great, scar.
Best part:
Just .·:*¨`*BELIEVE*¨`*:·. <(V.3 slogan)

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see childlike thinking actually: Your god, to me, is no different from the six-year-old's invisible friend sitting next to him on the bus seat.
But hey, if a god rocks your boat, knock yourself out.
I prefer to fly solo.
That's fine.

I respect your opinion.

Just leave mine alone.

And make me a sammich.
Adam

Bad Vilbel, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Homosexuals and their supporters argue that Jesus died for them on the cross. Mankind can do whatever they want? Mankind has got to know their limitations.

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Love you too...Lupy Lu
:-P~
Hi Epi :) how was your day?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
And responsible directly and indirectly for the lives of billions of innocent people.
And?
<quoted text>
No I'm not. He is *our* cure, not God's.
<quoted text>
Yes. I believe that.
<quoted text>
I see where you're going....
<quoted text>
I see....
You're another one that likes to blame evils on God.
Ugh...
Hardly. I am left no recourse but to accuse your deity because your religion has portrayed it's atrocities as the wish and/or orders of it's deity(s).

I blame those very bad behaviors on your religious institutions and therefor the people within it's paramaters who condone such atrocious activity and try to irrationally remove responsibility of that entity or justify the atrocious acts and continuation of the very thought process that is the cause of such worldwide misery.

Don't try to blame an invisible entity for the twisted and perverted actions of the subjugates of that institution(s). When you do that you are evading prosecution of the real perpetrators of the injustice...the religious institutions...and it will surely continue until you raise your voices in unison to stop it...or it is eventually outlawed as an incitement of injustice by world society.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Actually, I was being flippant...
Close enough.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
In the context of my post, "insist" had nothing to do with "acceptable or normal". It had to do with bring forceful or demanding.
Again, giving opinion and observation isn't being forceful or demanding.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't think atheists are unacceptable or abnormal, not at all. I'm sorry that you have that impression of me.
I think most atheists are pretty good people. It's the ones that seek to remove religion & change America to their "my way or the highway" attitude that I have a problem with.
You'd need to explain in a bit more detail concerning what you mean in that last sentence in order for me to respond in a meaningful way.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nevertheless, you have it.
Yeah.

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
**Clipped for space, no disrespect intended, full comment found here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Thank you for the time and effort you put into this post Tide, I appreciate it and am chewing on it. I don’t claim to be the brightest light bulb in the package, which is why I decided to look up logical fallacies for a refresher after my initial reading your post above…I find it particularly interesting that the site I pulled up states:
Ad hominem-
An ad hominem argument is any that attempts to counter another’s claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself. True believers will often commit this fallacy by countering the arguments of skeptics by stating that skeptics are closed minded.
http://theskepticsguide.org/resources/logical...
Does the above not suggest that stating that a person is closed minded is in fact attacking the person?(The comment that Christians are closed minded was what I was calling to attention *originally* as a character attack - I feel like my point is disappearing in the argument)
The claim to be open-minded is frequently used by people who wish to sound virtuous, and simultaneously make their opponent sound intolerant, while defending or promoting their ideas and beliefs.
This appeal to be 'open-minded' is a fallacious one. Its message is simply: be credulous.
http://www.ukskeptics.com/appeal-to-an-open-m...
I am sorry…I am not trying to argue here, but I feel that a simple point has been argued to death in an attempt to not address it for what it was. If I may restate the issue?
1. Statement that: No unbeliever is using slander or character attacks.
2. All believers are closed minded:“What do you think of a mind that accepts claims without sufficient evidence, the definition of religious faith? Is that an open mind to you? If so, you don't want that kind of open mind. That barely qualifies as a mind at all.”
I saw #2 as a character attack so called #1 to attention.
~Question~
Is #2 not a character attack?
Ok, going to go get dinner ready. Again thank you for your post Tide and I will read into it some more, it contained lots of information.
You are very sweet and very right of course. Character attacks only seem acceptable for those who came in here to 'take over the thread'... pffttbbbb

(((*()*)))

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine mike... I don't underestimate any mind.
No-one can express God mike... no-one.
As for the mind?
Never!
Take Care
Great post sweets. The human brain doesn't even perform at full capacity. LOL

(((*()*)))

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you lil sister.
I'll let Epi have the sweet dreams you sent me too...
>>>smile<<<
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Who am I
Did you get enough rest?
(((*()*)))
I <3 Casting Crowns!

Who are you? What? LOL

I got some rest, whether it was enough or not the day will tell, how about you?

I found a doggy yesterday, my neighbourhood is shocking with abandoned animals, he is soooo cute :)

(((*()*)))

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I can do an excellent impression of an old time Baptist preacher.
Maybe a "tent revival" is in order?
Hey, things appear to be falling into place.

Thank god.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Hardly. I am left no recourse but to accuse your deity because your religion has portrayed it's atrocities as the wish and/or orders of it's deity(s).
I blame those very bad behaviors on your religious institutions and therefor the people within it's paramaters who condone such atrocious activity and try to irrationally remove responsibility of that entity or justify the atrocious acts and continuation of the very thought process that is the cause of such worldwide misery.
Don't try to blame an invisible entity for the twisted and perverted actions of the subjugates of that institution(s). When you do that you are evading prosecution of the real perpetrators of the injustice...the religious institutions...and it will surely continue until you raise your voices in unison to stop it...or it is eventually outlawed as an incitement of injustice by world society.
"perpetrators of the injustice"??

"the religious institutions"?!?

"prosecution"?!???

Um.

Ok, lets go back in time, say about 4,000 years and get those religious people in trouble...

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Good evening everyone.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Lawest. How are you? Hope all is well with you and your family. Have a great week
Good E Grace, doing well thank you, how's everything with you?
Adam

Bad Vilbel, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well thank you, it's a bit cooler today which I appreciate. How are you brother?
Doing fine JLU, I haven't seen this avatar of yours before.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Blessings indeed my Brother. Even a crow - who's wing was broken, and no-one can catch!- has adopted us.'Little Wing'. His antics are as priceless as any puppy.
A pleasant home-office!
12 mid-day Turs here... and you?+- yesterday 15 hours?
Take Care, and God Bless
Very interesting my friend, I've always believed that most animals can become attached to human beings under the right circumstances.

Peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 487,581 - 487,600 of596,485
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

478 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min KiMare 89,507
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 18 min -USA-1 37,847
cannot satisfy my gf 20 min luvdoctor 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 26 min It aint necessarily so 679,814
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min -USA-1 168,953
Stop Chinese Immigration 27 min EmpireEarth 2
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 35 min Hillie Billie Boganed 109,512
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 54 min dragonrunner 232
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 56 min EdSed 216,691