Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#506425 Mar 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> That is why we, as a society, have come up with this...
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
oy!, nicely played sir, or lady. Saved for future reference.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#506426 Mar 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess that pride is a sin, right?
Yes.. in the biblical sense it is talking about obstinant rebellion against God.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you actually thought "hey, I'm going to be among the very few who are saved" you'd automatically not be going, since they'd exclude the sinful.
Pride (obstinant rebellion against God) versus Joy & Assurance on trusting and obeying God.

Two very polar opposites.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know that there's a paradox

There isn't paradox when one understands the principles of it.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know that there's a paradox based on that principle that the Inquisition used to ask people? You see, it was nearly impossible to get it right (one very famous person did). It goes like this:
Are you now in God's grace?
As far as The Catholic Church of those times, it was a very different animal back then than it is now... and Christ would not have allowed a Spanish Inquistion to begin with. Now THIS may sound like a paradox to you but NOT ALL in the Catholic Church "back then" were true Christians. The politically correct church "at that time" (the RCC) actually persecuted the true pagans, the true Christians, and deemed them heretics (the Jews were already being persecuted at various times).

The RCC is a mixture of paganism and christianity - and whoever didn't join the pagan/christian merger (the RCC) "at that time" would suffer various scales of punishments. All Constantine's group did was take the idol worship and transferred it into Christianity. For example, they changed the name and followership of Jupiter into Peter and so forth. They did the same with the other idols to make the compromise more palatable for both groups to come into one house.

So anyways, I had to split hairs because there are some stark differences between what the RCC teaches and what I (as a former Catholic) believe... then again, there are some similarities when it come to Christ, The Cross and some other things.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#506427 Mar 19, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>This is where I basically left off yesterday before going to work.
Other questions... Which is better? A government that allows freedom of speech or a Fascist-type government which doesn't allow it? Obviously, there are consequences of both.
In a similar way, Which is better? God creating us with the autonomy of free will OR God creating us without free will?
I think God is Cool in that He gave us the ability to genuinely choose... whether we choose to be obedient or not.
I think it is cool and a trade off. It is still God's doing and we can't be blamed for the way we were created.

Not sure why everyone has this need to 'defend' God.

#506428 Mar 19, 2013
I have to add...

There are some stark differences also between what I and many Protestants believe. My beliefs are mostly pre-catholic and pre-protestant in getting back scripturally to the early points of Christendom.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#506429 Mar 19, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>This is where I basically left off yesterday before going to work.
Other questions... Which is better? A government that allows freedom of speech or a Fascist-type government which doesn't allow it? Obviously, there are consequences of both.
In a similar way, Which is better? God creating us with the autonomy of free will OR God creating us without free will?
I think God is Cool in that He gave us the ability to genuinely choose... whether we choose to be obedient or not.
Obedient to the scribbling of Iron Age men? I see no benefit there.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Location hidden

#506430 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>oy!, nicely played sir, or lady. Saved for future reference.
I'm just an ole' he.

:)

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#506431 Mar 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I started that conversation.
I said something along the lines of: Atheists always seem to blame God for all the evils in the world but never thank Him for the positives.
It's an odd belief they have.
Atheists don't blame gods for anything nor do they thank gods for anything.

We'll keep going over this until it sinks in.

:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#506432 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Dr Parnia spelled out the research and the findings clearly in the book. And the research shows that a soul or psyche or self, does exist.
I doubt it. Why do we have only your word to take for that? You haven't produced a single review of the book that supports that conclusion. Nor any journal article, nor any other resource.

When I showed you a YouTube with Parnia himself contradicting you, your only defense was that the YouTube was from the dark ages of 2011, and to wait for future publications of data that vindicate your claims.

But all we have are those claims from a zealous Christian with a potent confirmation - a sincere desire to believe that he will survive his death.

This has been a largely Christian thread until recently, so it's no surprise that few or none of you seem to know how to evaluate claims and the evidence to support them. Actually, it seems that few of you even care about evidence. Serah was reveling in having none recently, and Dim and Juice have no interest in providing evidence to support their slanders.

So we rationalists are doing you a great service by explaining to you what science is, how evidence relates to science, and how to evaluate evidence and arguments. It's what we do.

You should be bookmarking the links to those posts.

Fennario

#506433 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
you have not even read the [Parnia] book.
Why would I? On your say so? If the book was worth reading, it wouldn't be hard to find reputable sources saying so. For example, if you go to my profile, you'll find a book I recommend, "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter. From the Wiki:

"At a deeper level, the book is an exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence. Through illustration and analysis, the book discusses how self-reference and formal rules allow systems to acquire meaning despite being made of "meaningless" elements. It also discusses what it means to communicate, how knowledge can be represented and stored, the methods and limitations of symbolic representation, and even the fundamental notion of "meaning" itself.

"Gödel, Escher, Bach won the Pulitzer Prize for general non-fiction and the National Book Award for Science. For Summer 2007, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology created an online course for high school students built around the book."

'Nuff said? That's a book worth reading. Your stuff? It might make a great episode of In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy.

Fennario

#506434 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
So I will believe Dr Parnia, Nobel prize winners, global doctors involved with the same kind of research and concur with Dr Parnia, the AWARE study findings, and the latest book outlining scientific evidence that consciousness exist beyond medical death.
Don't believe it. What difference does it make whether you believe it or not?
Yes,I know what you will continue believing, and on what basis. And I realize that what I am writing here will not influence you even a little. I write it for a broader audience.

"Medical death" is a technical term, and as I have already told you, relates to dying, not death, which now needs to be called "biological death" to distinguish it from the very much still living state called "medical death." Physicians also refer to sudden cardiac death. It's obviously a hideous use of language, and bound to cause confusion and equivocation fallacy, as with you.

Wake up.
trifecta1 wrote:
Many would say its Pseudo-Science that is behind the evolution of this planet and mankind from gases appearing from nowhere.
They would, would they? Many what? Science rubes?

How about you? Do consider the idea that the solar system and life on earth evolved from supernova-enriched nebular dust and gas pseudoscience?

And if that is pseudoscience, what is real science to you? The Genesis myth? Don't be a science rube yourself.
trifecta1 wrote:
Now that sounds like pseudo-science to me. But I'm sure that is real science to you. lol.
Question answered. I should have looked ahead. And I should have known.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#506435 Mar 19, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Ain't you learned nothin' from last night ?
Them women is dangerous!
But they like seeing me naked.(and I like doing shots)

:)

#506436 Mar 19, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is cool and a trade off.
Yes.. God is Cool.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
It is still God's doing and we can't be blamed for the way we were created.
No one is getting blamed for the way they were created... people are going to be blamed "or judged" by their choices and actions.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure why everyone has this need to 'defend' God.
Say a Man is in the news and being falsely accused. And this person's son is in school and a classmate or teacher taunts the child on behalf of their father. So the son defends their father from the false accusations. Obviously, the father being accused is much, much stronger and wiser than their son's taunting classmate but is proud of his son.

Did the Son love his Father?

So it is with God's own children.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#506437 Mar 19, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
I have to add...
... pre-catholic and pre-protestant ....
Yet you hold the Catholic/Protestant collection of books as the "Word of God" and reject a few hundred pre-catholic and pre-protestant Christian texts.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#506438 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>You too, and come back tomorrow.
And set it straight if you think a person should feel shame over kicking an animal or having sex with the spouse of another married couple even if all four agree its ok.
Because in one writing you say no shame required. In this writing you claim depends on the perspective, and how I look at it from the basis of religion, and I never present a universal argument, and Vietnam etc, etc, etc.
I ask about [You]. Not culture, not religion, not based on country, but you.
Should you feel shame about those behaviors and deeds?
And if No, that says a lot to me, about who you are.
Why would I or anyone else feel shame because somebody else kicked a dog or had sex?

People can have sex with whomever they want to as long as the other party is a consenting adult. Why is that wrong to you?

People can kick dogs as well but if they do that where I can see them, they should run very quickly.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#506439 Mar 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly.
But perhaps God doesn't quite understand the way we have come to view good & evil...
<quoted text>
God "provides" the wonderful & nasty?
Hmm...
Ya, I'll go with that. He does give us free will, after all. That is provided by Him.
I don't think "God" gives a crap one way or the other. No more than lightening cares where it strikes or a volcano cares when it erupts.

I am not of the opinion that we are the "pinnacles of creation" that most think we are.

#506440 Mar 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Obedient to the scribbling of Iron Age men? I see no benefit there.
Everything comes with an Instruction Manual. We can choose to put it together our own self obviously... or we can get the most benefit by looking in depth within the manual.

#506441 Mar 19, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you hold the Catholic/Protestant collection of books as the "Word of God" and reject a few hundred pre-catholic and pre-protestant Christian texts.
In my own view regarding the putting together of the Bible itself... the Catholics did an excellent job here in filtering out the Gnostic canons.

Fennario

#506442 Mar 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What church does? You'll hafta be specific.
The Christian church. I'm not too interested in any of the others.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The theory says that the Big Bang exploded and started everything up. God's the same way, He created everything, made everything possible, but He's not creatING everything still.
Is this still part of an argument that your god is not responsible for sinful man, evil, or demons, because he didn't create them? You are aware that according to Christian doctrine, he created everything that exists, and saw it all before he did.

This argument reminds me of your argument for why free will can exist in a completely determined world in which every event is ineluctably fated. It's the kind of tortured argument you are eventually forced to make and defend when your position is self-contradictory and contradicts the evidence.

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense”- Edward Abbey

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#506443 Mar 19, 2013
A Solomonic Decision.

This phrase refers to a judicial decision in an extraordinarily difficult case that brilliantly reveals the truth or finds some middle ground.It comes from a case Salomon faced,where two women argued over the same baby.His solution was to cut the baby in half.The imposter was happy with this arrangement,but the true mother revealed herself by refusing and offering to let the other women have the baby.(1 King 3).

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#506444 Mar 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Read the book.
Hey dude, Q doesn't know what happened to Counter_Srike.

Do you have any information as to his whereabouts?

He seems to have vanished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 7 min Halle Berry Sister 4,494
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min kent 695,854
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 35 min Bear Claw 60,729
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RED ROVERS COME OVER 993,860
Baptists 4gave Trump WONT 4give J Swaggart 2 hr Just Wondering 11
News Trump: Dem Memo a 'Bust,' Confirms Actions That... 2 hr Retribution 13
Some fun 4 hr ara033023 1
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web