“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#505822 Mar 18, 2013
Continued:
Luke 10:25-37
New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”
27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”

I do not know Gods plan for you, all I know is what I feel God is asking of me. To me I am being called to treat everyone with the love as described in the Bible. It is also one of the hardest things for me to do. From the cashier that snaps at me to the guy that cut me off in traffic - I am not to be easily angered and need to show patients and kindness to all. In my opinion my life (and character) should be a testimony to what I believe Gods message is for all. Love. If one truly looks at the words of Jesus found within the Bible, how can they not truly know that unbelievers should not be treated with hate and scorn?

Continued:

Ann Arbor, MI

#505823 Mar 18, 2013
It is my belief that the Bible is intended as a guide for the believer, and should be used to personally learn and grow in faith as we apply the teachings to our own life. When you talk about your experience of believers calling you things such as dog vomit, it is inexcusable in my opinion. The Bible states clearly that a Christian living amongst pagans must live such a life that they can see the Christians good deeds, and to show proper respect to everyone.(In saving space I did not post the scripture but what I am referring to is in 1 Peter 2 11-25 a link to it will be at the end of my post for anyone wanting to reference it.) The Bible also tells us what we should produce as Christians:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Gal 5:22-23
In my opinion, the Bible tells me that I should behave exactly in the manner in which I do. Along with putting God first, it is the foundation that I am building upon, as I grow in my faith. You can find some very discouraging things in the Bible when it comes to sin and unbelief. I think that they are to be studied by believers to make sure that they are looking within and dealing with any issues that they personally have. As a Christian if I am sitting here calling you names, slandering you or dishonoring you, what am I accomplishing other than showing you that I do not have the personal character that I believe the Bible calls me to?

I hope that covered everything, and sorry if I was not clear in any way. If you need clarification on anything, please let me know. Ouch, my hands are cramping LOL!! I hope you are having a wonderful day today AnnieJ….I somehow lost my spot in here again, going to try to find it and catch up.

1 Peter 2 11-25:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#505824 Mar 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a perfect creator create a POS ?
AS for Elohim:
YHWY said to humans "You are all Elohim" in Psalm 82.
Elohim is "Gods".
Don't blame me. I didn't right the book. Chrisitnaity is the one claiming it is the perfect word of God. Maybe it just an IMPERFECT word of God ?
Psalm 82 is not addressing you & I. It was addressing civil governors, kings, pharaohs, etc that thought of themselves as gods.

Context is key, my friend.

Ann Arbor, MI

#505825 Mar 18, 2013
I think topix ate my middle post?:P

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#505826 Mar 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha! I wrote something, then deleted it, then wrote something, then deleted it.
You, sir, have me at a loss for words!
A happy heart needs few words. <smile>

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#505827 Mar 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The creative one.
That leads to several and for many thousands of years. Several before the Christian or Hebrew god(s).

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#505828 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Very easily. God created humans, not more of Himself. We are weak, fragile little things that need all sorts of things just to be alive - and much more to really live.
Ok, so you believe that God is Perfect and that He Created imperfect humans. And, when I ask you how is that possible, you're answer is to repeat that you believe Perfect God Created imperfect humans.

Yes, we established what you believe, RR :)

But not how you get around the logical problem here.
We humans create things all the time, but nothing we create is anything like us. Ever.
Really? Our technology is full of flaws, has personality, can be cute or ugly, changes throughout history and fashion - our technology is very, very human!

Haven't you ever yelled at your computer? Or said "come on baby!" to your car?
Of course He knew it would happen. If our lives were perfect and needed nothing, we'd all still be in the garden of Eden, ignorant and naive.
That's...uhm...exactly what the myth writes God wanted. Remember? God was pissed about the apple thing.
No, but I see why you're confused.
I live life confused.
What we know currently about malaria is besides the point.
Well, my original question was "why would a perfectly moral being, who is omniscient and omnipotent, create malaria? Recall that malaria mostly kills children under 5."
God created us in his own image, which does not mean God has a head, a torso, two arms and two legs.
If I were to sum up God in one word, that word would be knowledge.
I believe that God wants us to gain more and more and more in our knowledge to help us become more "in his image".
That would certainly not explain how the Bible God treats humans - remember the Tower of Babel? Or the Apple and the subsequent creation of the concept "original sin"? In that story He forbade the young protagonists from eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. That doesn't really sound like the Riverside deity you are describing.

But it's all good. You see, my argument boils down to "all humans live lives of subjective and not objective lives. Believers honestly subjectively experience their deities as real."

So, for me, you've got God in your life and He's an RR's subjective God.

My argument continues "since all believers of all religions subjectively experience their deities and not other religions' deities, we can claim that the deities of any particular religion are not objectively experienced by all humans. Further, the atheists' subjective realities includes no deities - and the subjective experience of no deities overlaps with all believers' in all religions experiences of religions other than their own.

Therefore deities cannot objectively exist."

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#505829 Mar 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. And that I am not a robot means we don't have a perfect Creator.
<quoted text>
I don't. It's a cultural construct. We don't have the concept in Japanese culture. So, when I moved to America, I was pretty stunned. It took me a while before I realized that Western cultures internalize ritualistic meaning to behaviors that makes them feel guilty.
<quoted text>
Good place to stop. Now I can tell you how silly that myth is.
First, it denigrates humans.
Second, it makes God look foolish and stupid as the Creator who "didn't know."
Third, it makes God look evil - as the Creator who doesn't want to share.
Fourth, it's just a myth. It's not real. Cute story and all, but it's exactly like Pandora's box - fiction.
<quoted text>
Yeah. Look, I already know you're a believer. I know you believe this stuff. For me, it's just one religion's mythology. It tells me a lot about your religion, but doesn't address the logical problems of your religion's claims.
<quoted text>
hahaha!
<quoted text>
That's awesome. You're right - what is the point in arguing with someone who cannot see their religious views from the outside?
We can't argue. All you can do is explain your religious beliefs again and again and tell me how I'm missing out - again, like all religious believers, you "know" you've got the right one. So I'm sorry to say, your mythological argument simply isn't convincing. And nor are the mental gymnastics you're required to believe so that you never confront the logical problems in your religion.
But, really, don't worry. All religions have logical failures and they all do the same thing - invent crazy scenario upon crazy scenario to avoid addressing the logical failure.
Are there behaviors or deeds in your pass or even in your present [behind and off this billboard] that you have guilty feelings about or am ashamed of?

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#505830 Mar 18, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware that youtube provides those video sidebar suggestions based on your viewing history?
huh oh...
Perhaps, and my viewing history on youtube is browsing other church based sermons just to poise time, and that was included as such, THAT is why it was there,lol.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#505831 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Psalm 82 is not addressing you & I. It was addressing civil governors, kings, pharaohs, etc that thought of themselves as gods.
Context is key, my friend.
So only special humans are Gods ?

Jesus, Pharoe, Caesar, Obama, Hitler,

BTW, in the Pslam God says "You are Gods. You are Sons of YHWY"

He does NOT say anything like "You THINK you are God"

Feel free to rewrite it any way you want. It is a Chrisitna tradition to do so. LOL

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#505832 Mar 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than an afterlife, spot on.
So you believe in some kind of unknowable divinity, but no afterlife?

No critique here - just curious.

And afterlives are cool! Though I'm almost 100% positive they don't exist, I want one, damnit!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#505833 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very easily. God created humans, not more of Himself. We are weak, fragile little things that need all sorts of things just to be alive - and much more to really live.
We humans create things all the time, but nothing we create is anything like us. Ever.
<quoted text>
Of course He knew it would happen. If our lives were perfect and needed nothing, we'd all still be in the garden of Eden, ignorant and naive.
<quoted text>
No, but I see why you're confused.
<quoted text>
What we know currently about malaria is besides the point.
God created us in his own image, which does not mean God has a head, a torso, two arms and two legs.
If I were to sum up God in one word, that word would be knowledge.
I believe that God wants us to gain more and more and more in our knowledge to help us become more "in his image".
Let "us" make man in our image does not boil down to "knowledge"...especi ally in light of the genesis account forbidding Adam from eating of the tree of "knowledge".

So who is it that is confused here?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#505834 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
So God didn't create the Universe and everything in it ?

Didn't create disease and rabid animals ?

Didn't make it so that life has to kill other life to live ?

Didn't give us the desires to sin ?

OK.

I don't believe in a that deity either.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#505835 Mar 18, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>A HOLY woman wouldn't expose herself.
Are you sure?

Have you asked and they refused you?

How many times? Be specific.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#505836 Mar 18, 2013
Tide with Beach

Are you saying the heavenly father of Jesus ordered Roosevelt, Churchhill and Stalin to bomb Berlin,Hamburg, Dresden, Cologne etc because Jesus hates Hitler?

Have you fogotten the rapes and killings which the red army comitted with the german Fräuleins?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#505837 Mar 18, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Hallelujah Areola Amen!
I would have never seen that woman's nipple mountains without your help. Thank you.
Do you have any more?
Hey Tide!

I'm outta here. Going to try not to log in tomorrow and for a while after that. Too much work I need to take seriously coming up, damnit.

So you, me, you, me, take over!

Tidingfromyou is going bye-bye for now. Take care, thanks for your lovely posts, except for the one above, but hey, it's honest.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#505838 Mar 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Says who ?
Why are you so hung up on flesh ?
If you were innocent you wouldn't even have noticed her anymore than one would gasp at the sight of a naked baby.
You should be ashamed of yourself! If thine eyes offend thee, pluck them out! The sin is in you, not the world around you.
Now go! And Sin no more!
Says the WORD, admonishing women to adorn themselves in MODEST apparel, and you really believe that super silly statement that you've just made "the sin is not in the world around you"?????.....you were joking right?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#505839 Mar 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Says who ?
Why are you so hung up on flesh ?
If you were innocent you wouldn't even have noticed her anymore than one would gasp at the sight of a naked baby.
You should be ashamed of yourself! If thine eyes offend thee, pluck them out! The sin is in you, not the world around you.
Now go! And Sin no more!
Or if he were in a culture where breasts weren't sexual objects.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#505840 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't believe we have free will?
Yep. It is a flaw built into us by an imperfect creative force.

Are man-eating sharks evil or good ?

Do whales have free will ?

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#505841 Mar 18, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure?
Have you asked and they refused you?
How many times? Be specific.
Have I asked them what?........I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 6 min Neelakaran 1,109
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 10 min Neelakaran 5,322
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min confrinting with ... 539,077
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min atheism is destru... 733,160
Last Word + 2 18 min Hannah V 527
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 34 min Just Think 117,990
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min Patrick 226,376
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min Charlie Sheen 258,044
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••