“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#503750 Mar 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Its Anthropology. Not anthorpology.
You can't even spell what you teach?
Oh. Sorry. I don't always spell properly when writing to abject idiots. You see, I just know you're so stupid that spelling is lost on you.

Uhm..."it's" is a contraction between "it" and "is."

As in "It's anthropology."

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh .

Once again, with feeling!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-du uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh!

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#503751 Mar 15, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
nostly dr Shrink points and goal is to shrunk all servants of devil inside of depraved moraly worldwide christianity,
and low educated punks called atheists denying basic nature of created life, not understandable by average stupid atheistic scientistic reasearches
also dr SHRINK POINT ALWAYS IS PROPER,GOOD, AND HANDSOME TRUTH FLOWN FROM ABOVE
and transalted in human ugly language,
but human ugly language is not Perfect language of dr Shrink
have good day mr mestro Lumi
Cheers, you too Doc :-)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503752 Mar 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Juice has plummeted into the gutter with her, "I won't say here how I know you're a fraud."
@ Juice:
Sorry, Juice, but slanders without evidence are reprehensible and are simply unacceptable - at least not with many of us. The flock don't seem to object, however, so you've got that working for you.
It may have worked in Junior High School, but here...yeah, no.

Either Juice gets some evidence or some maturity. Either way works for me.

“The..”

#503753 Mar 15, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
SEATING like parasite day and night on this topic
DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO HAVE A TIME TO LEARN ANYTHING,ESSPECIALY SAPANISH LANGUAGE?
IDOTS ON WALFARE LIKE YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SPEAK HIGH ENGLISH
"High english"... you crack me up...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#503755 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>
We don't use "gender" as a verb any more.
Was their also a vote to refer to oneself as "we"?

See if you can go one week being your own man

Talk for yourself and just for yourself without needing to prop your opinion or statements up by speaking in plurals. You might find at the end of that week you don't need to keep crying for other people to help you or may stop using the same recycled religious jokes looking for affirmation among the 5%. Unlike HL's experiment I have no hidden agenda. I won't be changing the rules or following your posts. Simply go one week without referring to yourself as "we"? I think the co-dependency runs so deep that you can't function without it. Whether your group or other people you imagine agree with you in society I have noticed you can't make any statements on your own.

This has nothing to do with belief or unbeliefs or morals or ethics or anything else but mental dependency. What is it you find so scary about your life now that you make comments like you are still practicing medicine and everything you say has to be propped up as if you are speaking for a group? Is being you and who you are today not enough for you?

“The..”

#503757 Mar 15, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Dammit! Now I have to go to Australia. < drags steamer trunk down from the attic >
<twirls hair> What is a steamer trunk? I may leave Australia...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503758 Mar 15, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Halfsies ?
Perfect! Totally fine! So...when is that coffee date happening?

Doubles is bad. Very, very bad!

Bad, damnit!!!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503759 Mar 15, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Where? I love ponies!
Ahhhh. I bought you one for white day. It's in the mail - should be there soon.

Buy some oats, sugar cubes, and be good to her.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503761 Mar 15, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry hiding.
It's cool.
Sweet. Me too. I'm kind of a loser and get all bitchy for tiny slights. So I'm glad we're ok that way. I just smashed a bowling ball into bits with a tiny hammer. Sure, it took a while, but boy, did that ball deserve it. Hey! If I want to wear my shoes, I will, damnit! And, no, I'm not going to move my plants around because it's the season to do so. They like the sun just they way they are, thank you.

:)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503762 Mar 15, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been a called liar many times. Usually I ignore it.
It is only when peole I love and respect that I take a good look at myself (eventually) when they accuse me of dishonesty. Usually it is misunderstanding and we work it out, sometimes though I have to admit they wer right, change my ways and ask them to forgive me.
Those folks are very few here anymore and I doubt they even knew how much they meant to me. I think the last was the most dishonest thing I did. I should have let them know how special they are.
Hey Annie, you are special.
1 down 11 to go.
The more I get to know you, the more I understand your honesty and thank you for it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503763 Mar 15, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right it's a tad unsettling ;-)
I'm not a pseudo-scientist. I'm a social scientist. I know, I know, the two can be confused sometimes...

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Ann Arbor, MI

#503765 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
We have seen how the unbelievers - all humanists, I believe - interact with one another on this thread, and how the Christians treat have treated one another. We've also seen some pretty disgusting behavior from the likes of Dim and now, unfortunately, Juice.
That's my evidence that there is a huge difference between the ideologies of the two camps not just on paper, but in practice. Apparently, you either don't see the difference, or don't consider it relevant.
I do see the difference and I do consider it relevant, as I am looking at behaviors on here myself. I question if you are truly trying to understand things, why you do not take into account the more moderate of Christians on the thread. What about those of us you do get along with? Should I take the non-Christians with the worst of attitudes and consider them to be the correct representatives of all non-Christians?
<quoted text>
I cannot comment on that without seeing to what you refer.
Even so, my argument is not that all Christians are bad and all unbelievers are good, so an example of an unbeliever acting badly wouldn't be evidence in favor of
So the bad behavior of some Christians can represent all of Christianity and its influence in the world, but the bad behavior of some non-Christians does not represent all that are not Christians? I don’t think I am following you right……
<quoted text>
Yes, education is a big factor. Christianity fares better in the "hollers" in the mountains of the South than it does in Northern cities, especially a college town like Ann Arbor.
The least educated of Christians are the product of places such as hollers, and they tend to be the most radical in my opinion.
<quoted text>
Once again, I'd need to see what you are talking about. And even then, it's not relevant. I am talking about tendencies, about statistics and trends - the relative behaviors of millions of people considered collectively - not anecdotes of what somebody once did to somebody else. If I told you that Seattle is rainier than Phoenix, would your rebuttal be that you have seen it rain in Phoenix, too?
No that would not be my rebuttal. Can you point me in the direction of some statistics when it comes to behaviors broken down by beliefs? Not being sarcastic and I am fully aware of atrocities that have been done in the name of religion. I would like to know if there are dissertation’s or book’s that you can recommend that cover this topic in depth?
<quoted text>
I think so.
Strife wasn't main point, anyway. Ethics was, and I used the collective behavior of the Christians on this thread compared to the rest of us as a platform to discuss that. Strife in the form of unpleasant words are about all that can occur on a message board. But in meat space, the stakes go way up. Atheists, like gays, have to choose between dealing with that "strife" or remaining closeted.
Thanks for a pleasant exchange.
Can you see what I am getting at? How many Christians are on this thread compared to non-Christians? How is looking at this thread, an honest view of Christians? When I go to atheist threads, I have to deal with that same strife if I want to remain on the thread. Thank you for the exchange as well, whether you realize it or not, wheels are turning on this end.

“The..”

#503767 Mar 15, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
My whimper was appropriate at the time…..my head hit the desk pretty hard <<rubs @ knot on forehead>> I find myself becoming discouraged <<shrugs>> I‘ll get over it at some point, no doubt. Thank you for the pep talk, I do appreciate it! I hope all is well in your slice of the world today :O)
Poor head :( all is well sweets... hope your day improves, hey if you're going to be doing something other than reading here, it's bound to!

:-)

Location hidden

#503768 Mar 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The concept of spirituality I do share, I'd say I have spiritual experiences daily.
The concept of a god for that, at least for me, is unnecessary.
Read some early Wordsworth poetry and you may capture it.
I am not saying someone can't have certain experiences without God. I am simply trying to show the gap between those experiences and God isn't that great imo. If someone can be in nature and tap into almost a consciousness of the universe or feel something on a deeper level than normal or can subscribe to certain 'natural laws' that don't have anything to do with science than that is the beginning imo of understanding and believing in a power greater than ourselves. Not to the extent of God but still.

There is no scientific proof of karma or fate but most people believe in some type of it whether they believe in God or not. The point of my reply wasn't to suggest you are missing out or anything along those lines but more was to try to set the stage in a way I felt someone like you might best relate to the idea of God.

When you strip away all the man-made trappings, God is as natural an idea as anything else that governs this universe. There are forces and laws at work that extend beyond man, of that I am certain. And like everything there is a food-chain so-to-speak. God would be at the top as far as a controlling force of the universe

Do I expect you to respond, "hmm, I see now. I do believe in God"? Of course not. You probably never will. But perhaps if you see the concept of God as not such a crazy thing it will help you relate to people who do believe when it comes to matters of faith. That is all I am going for

“The..”

#503769 Mar 15, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a pseudo-scientist. I'm a social scientist. I know, I know, the two can be confused sometimes...
I wasn't talking to you. Did not call you a 'pseudo scientist' and was not referring to you either. You're right, people do get very confused sometimes....

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503770 Mar 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Whoops!...Sorry Illuminatrix, I thought this came from the hiding from you atheist.
Could you be more spineless, cowardly and dishonest?

Here you are openly admitting you disagree with me just because I don't share your religious views. "Oh, sorry, I just wrote nasty words because I thought I was writing to Hiding, not because what you wrote had any substance at all. I'm just immoral, intellectually dishonest and scum. Don't take it the wrong way - we both believe in the same deity, right? Cheers, bro!"

I cannot imagine a more pathetic intellect than yours. I cannot imagine a worse deity than yours - anyone who would worship your god should castrate themselves in powerless pathetic worthlessness.

Tri-infection, in simple English: you suck. And you betrayed your homies.

“The..”

#503771 Mar 15, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
because low english is like AC MINUS
if minus is conected with + it is going to be dim light or crack you up,and shake you like small leaves on the tree during heavy wind?
dr Shrink High sophisticated english makes him completly apart from all those dummies bambling nonsesnes around?
Absolutely Doc, you are evolved.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#503772 Mar 15, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>No.... the rest of the Chrisitian nation.
Let us concede that Hitler wasn't a Christian. That still leaves a Nation of a few million Christians commiting attrocities in the name of Jesus and God.

Got Mit Uns (God is on our side) a popular Nazi Christian phrase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gott_mit_uns

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503773 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Maybe - that's controversial. But it's also irrelevant.
What matters is that Germany was a Christian country. Germany didn't backslide. Germans happily gassed Jews on their Sabbath by the millions, and then went to their churches on their own to thank their god, whom they imagined had been killed by Jews.
You may know that I have been making a point of emphasizing how weak a community of Christians can be, and using this thread to epitomize Christian moral courage.
The Christian people of Nazi Germany are a good example of that Christian moral courage as well. As you well know, if you were a Jew in a concentration camp waiting for the tens of millions of church trained Christians in Nazi Germany to stand up and say, "This is wrong! Stop, Herr Hitler!" you were a dead Jew.
We saw the same here with Dim's outrageous behavior. NoStress may have spoken faintly out in a post buried back in the annals of Topix somewhere - he/she said he did, although I never saw it. If so, that was it.
That's Christianity for you. If you want to demagogue a group of people to do horrible things, you can't do better than have a Christian nation. Hitler understood this, and played it to the hilt, whatever his private opinions may have been:
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”- Adolph Hitler
“I say: my Christian feeling tells me that my lord and savior is a warrior. It calls my attention to the man who, lonely and surrounded by only a few supporters, recognized what they [the Jews] were, and called for a battle against them, and who, by God, was not the greatest sufferer, but the greatest warrior...”- Adolph Hitler
“As a human being it is my duty to see to it that humanity will not suffer the same catastrophic collapse as did that old civilization two thousand years ago, a civilization which was driven to its ruin by the Jews... I am convinced that I am really a devil and not a Christian if I do not feel compassion and do not wage war, as Christ did two thousand years ago, against those who are steeling and exploiting these poverty-stricken people.”- Adolph Hitler
You can easily imagine the reaction to that from people like me, Hiding, Catcher, Happy Lesbo, Wilderide, Tide, River, Scaritual and others. It would be the same as it was to all the Christian homophobia here. A nation of humanists would be much more morally sound. We'd likely have ridiculed and rejected Hitler, not made him our leader.
Damn, you are a fine writer, IANS. Thank you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#503775 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>
This all looks so familiar. Isn't this the same thing that I just went through with Dim? Where do these people learn to be like this? Just kidding.
Christianity. Meh. We can do so much better than this. These people are taught to think like this from bibles that are basically workbooks in irrational, arbitrary, baseless judgment and condemnation - lists of whom to hate for no better reason than that it pleases some capricious and sadistic god.
They don't trash us. They trash their inferior values.
I don't know, IANS, I don't know.

My image of Christianity is of people like Al and Riverside. I know that Al doesn't understand science - and doesn't need to - and I know that you've had disagreements with RR (but he has a decent, if not amazing, understanding of science), but - and perhaps I'm overlooking details - from my experience, they seem to be normal Christians.

Not bigoted, not immoral, but decent people who invoke their religion as a way of communicating with others, understanding the world around them, and living what is for them a spiritual existence. I don't believer either of them speaks for churches or attend on a regular basis (though I could be mistaken about Al).

Those are the Christians I know - generally nice people. Not deep thinkers, never deep, never objective, never critical or reflexive about their religion.

So, in the end - yes. We do better. Better than their best. Sorry to normal, moral believers of any faith, but atheist humanism rises to the challenge. It's self-critical, self-reflexive.

I have to agree with you on this one, though I still maintain that religions offer a way to access spiritual experiences (that atheism could reach regardless).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix posters who are children of Satan the Devil 4 min Kid_Tomorrow 6
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min pusherman_ 744,472
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min KiMare 228,632
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min confrinting with ... 545,260
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 10 min Paul is dead 2,903
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min KiMare 95,774
Why do Women get tattoos when its so ugly! (Sep '11) 23 min Niko 50
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 39 min Pegasus 260,279
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 hr Roberta G 174,213

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE