“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#502973 Mar 14, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
I see your presence as a warm and peace filled one Sister, and thanx for posting...

Are you a topix moderator?

Caring can be very passionate at times and guess we all hit the button and then think after... but nice to meet you too.

All is well, and about to have supper now.
7-45 pm Thurs.
God Bless, and hope to have more to share next time.
I was wondering that myself, about NS being a mod :-)

“The..”

#502974 Mar 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Really? You question that? All that I have said is that without religion, there would be less strife in the world. To me, the truth of that is obvious.

If you took the religious people out of this thread, there would be no or almost no fighting. Every single example of abusive language in this thread is either a Christian-to-Christian post or a Christian-to-unbeliever post. If you can find a single counterexample of an unbeliever calling another unbeliever liar, bigot, pervert, abomination or any other such term, I will reconsider my claim.

And if you can't, will you reconsider?
I got my hopes up with your lucid posts earlier... sigh...:(

“The..”

#502975 Mar 14, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Mooooooooooooooorning

“The day, water, sun, moon, night;
I do not have to purchase these things with money.”

~ Plautus

Thought for the day
Helloooooo :-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#502976 Mar 14, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Illuminatrix wrote:
Teddy, you've just reminded me rather strongly, of someone else...
Your brother?

“The..”

#502977 Mar 14, 2013
<quoted text>How do you account for that? And what does it say about the influence of the Christian church on people?
It's not the best influence in some places and it's a wonderful influence in some places. At the end of the day, haters are going to hate and people fight. You going to abolish politics and families as well? How about all the Scientists who don't agree on anything? What about drugs? What about Psychological Illness? What's the plan Teddy? Implant chips? Turn humans into cyborgs so we all think alike and are the same? I'm curious, how far are you going to take it? You must be very powerful, going by your speeches. Are you a Communist?

“The..”

#502978 Mar 14, 2013
Can you be more specific? I have many brothers...

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#502979 Mar 14, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I don't think so. I don't think that I gave it human characteristics.
Keep in mind that what I am defining is what I think most people mean when they use the word "god" or "God." My definition would acknowledge that such creatures might not exist.
Obviously, sometimes people mean other things that a universe creating deity when they say "god" - like non-creator entities such as Athena, or even distinguished men like a pharaoh or Eric Clapton.
What I have described is not man-like at all. It might be called an agent - it possesses agency. But this being is otherwise not like a human being at all. Isn't that what anthropomorphic implies - manlike?
<quoted text>
I thought that I gave you a decent approximation of what is usually meant by "god" and "God." Do you find my definitions lacking?
Why did you ask? And what is your definition of these words, capitalized and not?
If you make the word vague or meaningless enough, nobody can argue that such a thing exists. Or exists.
Are you familiar with the term "ignosticism"? From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism :
[Ignosticism] can be defined as encompassing two related views about the existence of God:
The view that a coherent definition of God must be presented before the question of the existence of God can be meaningfully discussed. Furthermore, if that definition is unfalsifiable, the ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the question of the existence of God (per that definition) is meaningless. In this case, the concept of God is not considered meaningless; the term "God" is considered meaningless.
The second view is synonymous with theological noncognitivism, and skips the step of first asking "What is meant by 'God'?" before proclaiming the original question "Does God exist?" as meaningless.
==========
What this means is that if one cannot give an operational definition of god - that is, if one cannot provide a definition of the word "God" in terms of "the specific process or set of validation tests used to determine its presence and quantity" or "in terms of the operations that count as measuring it" - discussion of the topic is meaningless metaphysical masturbation.
GOD is an ENERGY that humans cannot comprehend... in my opinion, of course :) Same as ANGELS are an ENERGY that there are different levels of comprehension for, again, in my opinion. For those that can see Auras, I believe, they have been really Blessed, for they can see the energy that we produce, and some can see the energy that ANGELS produce, and GOD has an energy above and beyond recognition, unless one recognises HIM from within.

My comparison to these different levels of energy and who has the 'sense' to see them to that of who ever it was who created the silent dog whistle. I can't hear it whistle, but in saying that, have no doubts that the whistle works...... for there are more than just the creator of the silent whistle that can hear it, and I believe it has proven that dogs react to it.

I have seen dogs put their heads up in the air and howl like a wolf when an ambulance or vehicle as such with sirens is somewhere nearby, although not necessarily in the immediate vicinity, and have never seen them howl apart from those times.

And yet other dogs ignore them! We need to see that there is more to more than meets the eye, and work with the more we know less of :)

#502980 Mar 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not mean to imply that everybody in the Catholic Church is a pedophile.
I do believe, however, that the Church, as an institution, and through its leaders worldwide, has engaged in a huge cover-up of the priest pedophilia scandals, and has done its utmost to protect the abusers from being uncovered and prosecuted, knowing that its failure to act responsibly would create additional victims.
And the reason for its horrific, inhumane record is that the Church places its "reputation", if you will, above all else. Justice, decency, and the protection of innocent children must yield to the Church's need to protect itself.
I can only agree with you ~ there is much history that is very shameful, but we must always remember it is the evil intentions of some, and not all, that has brought most powerful 'groups' to inhumanity and disrespect. I include amongst these groups governments, armies, in fact all walks of life, including judges and lawyers, and finance managers :)

The majority of most 'groups' have good, honest intentions and those whose intentions to us appear to be evil, may in fact be resolved at some time within the life span of that human being, and GOD. We can not tell anyone whether they are going to heaven or hell, and in fact, in my opinion, hell would be not knowing GOD, and there would be much gnashing of teeth, finding GOD and then not having the right to know HIM.

But, I know HIM so well, that I know what my life would have been without HIM, so it is easy for me to think of hell and gnashing teeth looking back to where HE has been when my life was really in the pits.

My objective in life is to know HIM more than I do right now, and the pathway of a Christian is the pathway of JESUS ~ JESUS is our SHEPHERD and we are HIS Flock. There must be other pathways to GOD - and different reals for different levels of Spirituality, for there would be no GODly reason for us to all come to earth, treat each other like carp and go to the same realm with the same flipping arguments? ANGELS are Teams, and they work together; obviously this is all my own opinions, gathered over the last 35 years but going back to when I was about 4 years old.

But it is a Topic of love and kindness, and caring for each other ~ when one seeks love and kindness :)

#502981 Mar 14, 2013
edit "and different realms for different levels"

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#502982 Mar 14, 2013
X 2 post ? topix fault!

Not sure what you mean by 'account for that' teddy?

But I would reckon that if a person makes a true report of a 10 year undercover exercise, that the record of account when given just in a brief drop of water summery here, says enough for a witness to speak.

I don't go to church - nor can I say anything more with this here of those who did, and treated me like a piece of rubbish - but that's their problem not mine. I don't hold grudges, but just carry on...

My report is not yet published... and they weren't to know that... were they?

Being an outcast was nothing new to me.
No Love Lost.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#502983 Mar 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
I see what you are sayingand agree with that.
I understood your point. Sometimes we don't get what we expect out of a conversation and it seems a waste. I tend to see all experience as valuable in some way, though. On balance, something might be more negative than positive, but history cannot be changed. I think we can scavenge benefit from anything.
NoStress4me wrote:
Should be interesting and I look forward to it. I hope you have a wonderful evening Tide.
I'll first have to bring you into my understanding of religion. I see it as a stage in human cultural evolution. If you go back far enough in time you'll find humans that weren't capable of building religions of any kind. The way I see it, you need three basic things to build a religion. You need language so you can communicate complex ideas. You need curiosity and a yearning to understand the world around you. You also need free time, time free from worrying about whether you will live another day.

I also need to address tribalism. Groups of closely related individuals represent the first tribe. The family looks out for the family, and anything that threatens the family is an enemy. Where humans were spread out, interaction between kin groups were probably not confrontational. What spurs conflict is the competition for resources. As populations get larger and closer together, or as resources are depleted, competition comes into play.

At some point it will become clear that forming larger than kin tribes has advantages. A larger group allows for the exploration of specialized skills. Eventually large tribes are formed. These tribes develop ways of living that they continue to teach new members. Protecting the tribe and the "truth" of the tribe becomes very important.

Forms of religion can be born in large continuous tribes. Hierarchies naturally form. The person who can explain mysteries of life will have a lot of power. This is also the birth of politics. In maintaining this system of power, religions are fleshed out. People discover several characteristics of humanity to exploit and add that to the power system as it develops. The formation of tribes and tribal religions was important. It provided some measure of safety and predictability. It allowed for technological progress and more.

If you scale up the tribes and tribal development you'll eventually reach a state where tribes stop fighting so much and band together, forming coalitions. This is how some nations are born. Some were founded by violent conquest though. Civilization is the next step. Religion and forms of tribalism survived this shift in culture. Today we have countless overlapping societies and cultures. Religion is unique in that it occupies space outside of reality. We can put religion aside to deal with public policy or understanding nature. Until recently, there wasn't as much pressure for religion to be discarded as an outdated system. Where understanding of reality increases, religion loses it's power to explain. The god of the gaps has fewer gaps to occupy.

Religion itself is still largely divisive. It can be the most important aspect of life to some. That's what makes religion dangerous. Competition will never reveal the right religion. They are all equally true and equally false to the various believers. They teach ideas that were born in less evolved cultures. The violence, intolerance, and ignorance being sold as truth by the biggest religions are a hindrance to human progress. Religious beliefs prevent learning. Dogma denies improvement. That's generally true of the individual. Human society on the whole still moves forward.

Removing religion from influence may not bring about a sudden world peace, but it's a step in the right direction. If there was ever any good to be had from religion, it can survive in another form. If we can't excise the bad, immediately, I see that as a bad sign, that the system itself is bad.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#502984 Mar 14, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayhap you be right, mayhap not.
Agreed 100%. My guess is as good as anyone's. I don't pretent to "know the Truth".

#502985 Mar 14, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yes ~ it is like the old saying, we can't see the trees for the forest.... It is sometimes hard to be humble :)
"While there is a problem of pedophilia in the Catholic church I don't think that it is any more right to label them all based on the actions of a few.
Does it sound familiar Catcher?"

What I meant here AnnieJ is that Catcher1 is so busy looking at all of the bigots that he can't see the bigotry of his own. Not just Catcher1, but all of us when we get focused on one particular belief that we dig our heels in and don't see all views that are presented.

It is an old saying down here that one is so busy looking at the forest, that they don't see the individual trees; not sure if you have it up there :)

#502986 Mar 14, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what you are implying Serah. Could you be a little clearer?
I was replying to this posting AnnieJ :)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#502987 Mar 14, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>....
For starters and according to scriptures, Joseph and Mary weren't rich. Whether or not we can even consider them "middle-class" is questionable.

Secondly, I wondered why, after all the work put into the carvings on the tomb, that the names looked like the wily works of a graffiti "artist."?...the ancient Hebrew alphabet, if memory serves me correctly, was no longer in use.
1. According to Scripture Joseph was a tradesman which would have put him well into "middle-class" in 1st. Cent. and tombs were family owned not individual's.

2. The 'scratching of the name' is common on all ossuaries of the period even expensive one's like Caiphus'(yes we have it as well and it is undisputed)the ossuaries in the Talpiot Tomb were fairly plain (not a rich families).

#502988 Mar 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to clarify.
I have no belief in a "Spiritual world," whatever that may mean.
My spiritual feelings all arise from my personal experience in this natural world of ours.
I do not believe in the supernatural.
Oh; that makes no sense to me at all, but thanks for filling me in. I thought that you didn't believe in the Spiritual world, but have no idea of what could be spiritual without being in the Spiritual world :)

#502989 Mar 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Like I said, this is hilarious. Aren't you enjoying your time spent here?
We find it hilarious too ~ thanks for sharing your time with us :) Obviously there are some with problems, but we don't laugh at them, and most times try to respond to those postings which are positive, when they are posted, than those that are bombastic and weird. There maybe people posting on here with all sorts of issues going on in their lives around them, and we are here trying to help those that are seeking our help.

You won't find sharing Scriptures and Prayers helpful in your life until you need them and use them..... but at least you are keeping those amused that like some feed back, it saves us from feeling guilty for not replying, and gives us the opportunity to get to know you all :)

#502990 Mar 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Shrink is fun, but on the other hand I feel a little sorry for the guy too. Imagine what it must be like to be in his head. Yikes.
Ahhh.... some empathy?

#502991 Mar 14, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Say it ain't so ...
One day shrink told us that he has keys to the White House ...you know, the one in the 51st State of the District of Columbia.
Bet ya didn't know the DOC was the 51st State did ya?
He also has keys to the NASA facility at Cape Huston, Fla. What he meant was Cape Houston, Fla ...no biggie, we all understand he comes up a little short in spelling ...not to mention geography.
This is why you'll sometimes see me refer to him as 007.
Shrink claims to be a German national. To my knowledge he has never let on which side of the wall he hailed from in his native Germany, or how long ago it was that he migrated to the USA.
Regardless, Shrink is a world renowned jet-setter and all around important person ...and should be treated as such.
Jus sayin ...
Hey HU :)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#502992 Mar 14, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>....
And lastly, based on the date given as to when this tomb was constructed, the ancient Hebrew alphabet, if memory serves me correctly, was no longer in use.
The Hebrew 'Alphabet' and language was used even long after the 70AD diaspora. Also note that the Hebrew Alphabet was used for Aramaic (a "street dialect" of Hebrew)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Buck Crick 743,361
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 544,836
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 10 min andet1987 1,546
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Dave Nelson 228,525
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min Charlie Sheen 260,121
How to tell when a Topix poster doesn't have a ... 24 min andet1987 9
Like Lincoln and FDR, Obama faces nation in cri... (Nov '08) 25 min yon 51
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 29 min Clearwater 174,184

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE