Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#501772 Mar 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I find it inetersing that non-christians are considered atheists by Christians.
It is either a deceitful or ignorant position to take.
Not all... but ignorance can be blissfully ignorant.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#501773 Mar 10, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
He may or may not, you don't know. There are those here that do. You're a fraud. I'll just leave it at that.
Here, for you, I found what I wrote. Given your airs, I imagine you can add insightful critical comments.

"Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is hypothesis testing for disproof. Hypotheses are ultimately drawn from the discipline's
What you presented is a book of opinion, not an evidence based science.
Here, I took his last name and plugged it into Google Scholar, to find some research articles from him. This is what I found:
http://folk.uio.no/benjamil/neardeath/neardea...
You'll like the paper, since you will interpret it as backing up your beliefs here, but I found it wanting. The first thing you'll note is that he's not actually doing hypothesis-testing science, but descriptive social science.
That's ok. All sciences have to start as collections of descriptions until a framework theory can be developed to explain the observed phenomena.
The danger of this phase in scientific research is that people draw false conclusions, based on their belief systems and enculturation rather than evidence testing. And he makes this mistake throughout the paper:
"If the occurrence of NDEs during a cardiac arrest, when the mind (the collection of all our thoughts, feelings and emotions) and consciousness (self awareness) appear to continue at a time when the brain is non-functional and clinical criteria of death have been
reached, can be proven objectively through large studies, then this will lend some support to this view." (that something exists after death).
The thing is, for him to show that, he'd have to demonstrate that all the neurons in a brain are non-functional. For, the functioning of one neuron can produce neurotransmitter that would set up a "reverberating circuit" (a memory) once the rest of the neurons begin to function - in fact, after reading his article and thinking things through, it appears that NDEs are the result of neurons shutting down at different times and then, slowly, restarting and interpreting the chemical signals around them.
Here's another paper by him - again, descriptive:
http://horizonresearch.org/Uploads/parnspearf...

The problems I see are twofold: first, he gives equal weight to scientific research as to untested, untestable "theories" of mind. Second, he doesn't seem to be aware of the larger field of neuroscience. For example, he writes "More recently some have suggested that the sensation of separation from the body (out of body experiences) may be related to a dysfunction at the temporo-pa
There's actually been quite a few studies on the temporal lobe and non-mundane experiences, like out of body experiences. But he doesn't reference them at all. That tells me he either doesn't follow the field or is selective in what information he uses. Neither make a particularly strong case for his ideas.
However, you are welcome to believe whatever you like.
:)"

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#501774 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The self-righteous wallow in filth, yet are impervious to it.
Sorry to be so harsh.
No kidding - I have to wash my boots!

Actually, going to take a break for a while and concentrate on getting my own stuff written.

But, hey, I hope you noticed that I successfully implemented the Catcher white sheet on one person (to date)! Woohoooo! Totally have ignored every post written by what's-his-name.

Ok, take care. See you in a while. Or maybe a drunk topix-stalk. Have a great time, good luck with the ladies (not that you need it).

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#501775 Mar 10, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>No its not. Hundreds of other scientists agree with him in this area.
Its not [my] position, its the position concluded by the research.
Read the book. Read the research material. Then you will be more credible to criticize.
Your criticisms now just look petty and you seem scared of the implications of the research, so you disregard them.
Many of the summations in the book are established scientific conclusions. It is science. You just feel better disregarding what you do not understand, because maybe you're petrified that your religi..I mean atheistic beliefs are under attack.
This?

http://books.google.com/books...

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#501776 Mar 10, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess I shall share.Back in 83 I drove a taxi for a living graveyard shift.Drove 26 miles just to get to work hwy 54.
Headlights pick up CFI semi turned over possible from the winds that night.I threw on those flashers on my car with a flashlight in hand to try to find the driver.I stuck that flash light thru the windshield as the tractor was also on it side to find a driver even searched the area abit but did not find anyone.About that time a hwy patrolman came along and stopped and explained that driver been transported to hospital minor injuries and that the terminal at Tucumcari had been informed.Now quite honestly do not know how I would have pulled a man from that truck but the hands,feet and the heart was in it anyway.Hope if I am ever in trouble on a hwy you be the fellow to stop and help.
Hey Lil Sister!
Scaritual had a valid point there, and was going to post him but saw you had.
Thanx for that.
I can just see you!

I'm sure between everyone in here we have volumes to share of when hands, feet and heart did t&#8203;heir best under the circumstances which they found by the side of the Life's road. Some are indelible memories that's for sure!

I didn't see you get back in last night... Was that walk outdoors good?
Stars must have their own magic on the snow... just as the desert. Do you have a wide view of them?

VERY hot here now with a heat-wave in full motion...
LUVU2!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#501777 Mar 10, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lil Sister!
Scaritual had a valid point there, and was going to post him but saw you had.
Thanx for that.
I can just see you!
I'm sure between everyone in here we have volumes to share of when hands, feet and heart did t&#8203;heir best under the circumstances which they found by the side of the Life's road. Some are indelible memories that's for sure!
I didn't see you get back in last night... Was that walk outdoors good?
Stars must have their own magic on the snow... just as the desert. Do you have a wide view of them?
VERY hot here now with a heat-wave in full motion...
LUVU2!
Evening Pw;

Awee know me well when I slip out a door.Yes, slipped on coat and boots took that walk to the sheds to check on critters as wind was up at fourty four miles a hour around three am in the morning.Found them all doin fine.Have a whole sky view of them beauties.Four inches of snow Mother nature knows how to give.
When it is hot here the people eat and then go find a cool place to nap.The spanish people taught us how to do that too.(nap when hot).God bless

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#501778 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Nice avatar.
My brother drew it. He's getting pretty good.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#501779 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Yeah, I've heard mountain lions here and in Arizona. This wasn't that. That sounds like a woman screaming bloody murder. It's spine tingling, because at first you don't think "mountain lion" You think A WOMAN! screaming! Bloody murder!
Bobcats sound like a baby or young child lost in the woods and crying.
I can't say what it is, or was. It was something I've only heard like I said 5-6 times, and each time it was absolutely as unidentifiable as could be, except that it "seemed" to be a vocalization.
I've been paced by a mountain lion, and you could hear it pant about 50 yds away, but never see it, and I've walked up on bear a few times.
I've heard bear "sound" or "beller"<(mountai n term you know)when they're supposedly trying to get the attention of a sow or claiming and marking territory.
This was nothing like that. I've got a good friend that hunts bear, and he says they don't make a sound anything like I describe.
Again, maybe I've never heard a bear make that noise, nor has he.
I dunno. I'm a lucid and calm person, not prone to flight or being startled etc..
I don't know what it was. I sometimes wonder if it might be a geological phenomena of some sort that I'm not aware of and rare, who knows.
BTW, if you hadn't guessed, I'm not a "Sasquatcher".
I'm just relaying some experiences that some people would immediately assume are.
I hope my brother makes a few Sasquatch comics. I think there's plenty of material there to explore.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#501780 Mar 10, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
What is established as scientific medical fact, is that when the brain has no flow of blood, the brain dies immediately.
Reason that a cardiac arrest is defined as medical death because once the heart stops, the brain stops almost immediately. Which means NDE's and ADE's cannot be a result of the brain. That is established medical fact.
What Dr Parnia with his AWARE study and hundreds of other scientists studying the same phenomenon, they have established real cases of NDE's and ADE's in hospitals where they have set up experiments to establish that the person had a ADE or NDE when cardiac arrest happened.
They have interviewed numerous cases in hospitals where these experiments were done, that these patient's saw things outside of their body that would be impossible for them to know lying on a hospital bed, while their brain was medically dead that proved an ADE took place.
The only reason its not in a peer reviewed journal as yet is that there has not been enough interviews in the the hospitals where these experiments have taken place.
But they have hundreds of other cases in hospitals outside of the experiments, they just have to established they own cases in they own control environment of the hospitals they chose then it will be in a journal.
AWARE Study Update January 2013
"The AWARE investigators have explained that owing to the exploratory nature of this study they do not anticipate there to be an end in the near future. Instead the study is likely to evolve into further research projects downstream with time. They are pleased to report the study is progressing well but have indicated that the results so far suggest more data and larger scale studies may be required. At this time, they anticipate being able to release the preliminary results obtained during the first five years of the study in September or October 2013 to mark the fifth anniversary of the launch of the study. This will be done through the appropriate scientific channels such as publications in scientific journals and possibly by means of a lecture, symposium or conference at a suitable venue if there is sufficient public interest. This would allow the data and results to be discussed in further detail."
http://www.horizonresearch.org/main_page.php...
trifecta1 wrote:
So my question to you writer is this, do you now believe based on the scientific evidence done so far, that your psyche/soul/I/self, exist independent of the brain?
Unless and until I see peer reviewed publications and other scientific verification surrounding your claims, I'm not going to commit a belief to something that has not been verified or substantiated.

If it is verified and substantiated?

I won't require belief.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#501781 Mar 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I am sorry to hear about your mother and your hands, but very happy to hear that she taught at the London Conservatoire. And who cares if it's spelled wrong!
I am not "on leave." I don't work for the military. I live and work as an anthropologist in Tokyo.
Interesting...
What do you mean 'won't work for the military'?

I did remember you were an anthropologist from that time back... I believe that was when you told me first your friend was going to - or had been - to Vanuatu.

I was watching the moment the first vision of that horror Tsunami came over Japan. So tragic! The other night a documentary on the Fucushima nuke plant.

So what then is 'safety' of one such plant, if no-one could see that wave coming.

One dear lady from the zone has left her home open for the stray cats, and still goes back 2 x week to leave food for them. But a lot of radiation probs!
Sad...

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#501782 Mar 10, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening Serah;
Gives you some idea what thoses critters out here get into.Some of them are real raskels too.I always have had a fond place in my heart for a raskel.Hope you enjoyed watching them.God bless.
Yes, I did, Lil Whispers ~ I love animals :)

Location hidden

#501783 Mar 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
http://youtu.be/3o2cMGCMK2c
turn up the volume!
check out these sounds, other links in here are good too, it also has the mountain lion
Yeah, good link. Thanks.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#501784 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Hiding: Give it up.
Trifecta is not worth the trouble.
Unless your aim is to educate others....
Educate in what? The art of lying? Trolling is really not that hard.

Location hidden

#501785 Mar 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Drug dealers prefer real money.
Thanks for your expertise in this area. I'm glad I don't do drugs. Don't even drink alcohol.

Just say no, RiversideRedneck. You can do it.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#501786 Mar 10, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Evening Pw;
Awee know me well when I slip out a door.Yes, slipped on coat and boots took that walk to the sheds to check on critters as wind was up at fourty four miles a hour around three am in the morning.Found them all doin fine.Have a whole sky view of them beauties.Four inches of snow Mother nature knows how to give.
When it is hot here the people eat and then go find a cool place to nap.The spanish people taught us how to do that too.(nap when hot).God bless
What time is it there?
4-30pm Mon here.
Ja... nothing like finding a cool grass mat and curling up under a mango tree. The American Indians too must have had their weather beaters? But 'manana' will always be the best excuse! >>>grin<<<

Your sticks and amo must be as big as you lil sister? Bet I could just do a great characture painting of you there with them critters, ja?

Be safe, an er, don't educate me too soon into them there things you been talkin' bout with others, casue I had to answer for your big stick last might!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
And you knows I much younger than this world things...
I get shocked!

Location hidden

#501787 Mar 10, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we need a definition of "dead"
people who are now alive, were never, in the past dead.
NDE is caused by brain chemistry during shut-down.
Yeah, and it hasn't been established when the "NDE" happens.

It could be a process of the brain 23 seconds or 2 minutes before "death", or a process 23 seconds or 2 minutes after resuscitation.

That hasn't been established, in the least.

Location hidden

#501788 Mar 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother drew it. He's getting pretty good.
Yeah, that looks good. I figured it was yanked off the net.

Location hidden

#501789 Mar 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope my brother makes a few Sasquatch comics. I think there's plenty of material there to explore.
You could suggest he use The Dave Nelson as a character in search of the elusive Sasquatch, sometimes known as a Yeti, but known to The Dave Nelson as a Thingy or Something Like That.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#501790 Mar 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And how do you know I'm a fraud? Because you are unable to articulate a position and really, really believe in your religion?
I won't say here how I know you're a fraud. Am happy to tm you if you like. Articulate a position? Really, really believe in my religion? Why would I believe in a religion? I'll believe in Buffy before a religion, or my coffee cup. Putting faith in mankind would be extremely daft, you really don't seem to know much about history at all. Those here slamming believers are far more religious about their 'beliefs','agendas','non beliefs' etc... than I have ever been.

To take seriously anything typed here would be rather foolish to be honest, except for the few honest people I know here. As for writing anything real or serious here again, I certainly won't repeat my mistake.

Awww...are you the only one who can denigrate others? Having a boo hop cause you don't like it done to you? You're super tough and utterly perfect aren't you? Deal with it.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#501791 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The self-righteous wallow in filth, yet are impervious to it.
Sorry to be so harsh.
Says the pot about the kettle.

Definition of SELF-RIGHTEOUS

: convinced of one's own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic
— self–righ·teous·ly adverb
— self–righ·teous·ness noun

Read your lil' support group's posts from when you graced us with your presence hypocrite. Full of $$hit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Catcher1 93,302
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Michael 668,343
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min WildWeirdWillie 183,781
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 42 min Pegasus 286,241
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr nanoanomaly 979,605
American Soldiers Rock 2 (Mar '08) 3 hr USA-1 34,334
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 9 hr USA-1 39,228
More from around the web