Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#501496 Mar 10, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL... I once envisioned him sitting on the toilet caressing the rifle on his lap.
:-)
The only thing I can envision is this kid in 2nd grade that would eat wild onions during recess. These wild onions are really strong. He'd eat mass amounts, and he would be slobbering, red faced, and watery eyed from them, and almost seemed intoxicated.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#501497 Mar 10, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
her posts are clearly bragging her "moral superiority" to the tread, and of course to her ego.
They are plagiarized .
I exhibit no surprise.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#501498 Mar 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<
.. yes, we know what happens within the brain however you cannot say a spiritual experience is all in the brain because the resulting interpretation of the experience is subjective ..
Brain experience is *always* subjective. Spiritual experience is brain experience - it, too, is subjective. The feeling of being filled with the Holy Spirit differs from having the Hands of the Buddha touch you.

It's subjective because the religions interpret and understand spirituality different from each other - their languages and ways of communication differ.
.. yes, to a degree the end result may be based on some enculturation but in other instances, it is not (determinism)..
For example?

What about humans is deterministic?
.. some people having near-death experiences survive their journey with an entirely new prospective on the meaning of life, a new spirituality. Therefore, we cannot point to enculturation as the sole operating mechanism ..
I didn't make that claim - I claimed that neurons, in concert, are the sole mechanism of comprehending reality. Enculturation is how brains become producers and reproducers of culture.
.. until science can prove consciousness is simply a gaggle of neurons, Newberg's statement remains true and does not require proof ..
False. Why should we accept any claim as "true" and not requiring of "proof" just because some of us like it?

If your statement were true, the miasma theory of cholera would have won out against the germ theory of cholera.
.. I do not think science will ever be able to confirm or eliminate the possibility of an afterlife and religion will never be able to prove a soul ..
I agree with you here.

:)
.. because of your education, most of the posters here are no match for you. For that matter, when debating science, neither am I. In that arena, you are my superior. This leads me to my final question ..
.. should humans abandon hope for an afterlife, their very faith, because science says there's no evidence ??..
Good question. That's a tough question to answer because of our enculturation (cultural baggage).

The Yanomami don't envision an afterlife as we do. They ingest the ashes of their deceased so that they embody their ancestors - in this way, their ancestors live on. But not in some sort of paradise. I can only imagine they would think "heaven" to be childish.

So do we really need, as cognitive, emotive, moral beings an image that may be false? I don't think so. None of us should live for an afterlife, but for our lives now.

Our friends, families and dreams matter now, not some false image that rests solely on the desire for eternity.
<< suffering the morning after great sex syndrome, missing you >>
I miss you, too, HL. Lots and lots.

:(

Thanks for being challenging without being petty. Sorry for my answers - perhaps I am grossly mistaken and taken in by only what I know.

:)

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#501499 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
I know you and all Christians/religions do.
Not meant as a slight, and that I mean, but all theists say that. If it makes you happy, please, continue, you don't need my permission, just understand atheists and all other people who fall outside of your religious beliefs are good people, who are part of the world and contribute, positively.
We work in stores where you buy things. We are Doctors. We are auto mechanics. We are Parents, sons and daughters. Maybe even a Grandparent that never said nothing to anyone because they know what's up.
Even a guy who cuts wood for a living and one night when tornadoes were all over, got in his truck with his boy and went to try and get some people and and a baby out of a bad spot who I'm pretty sure were Christians and it never crossed my mind.
But you know, there are times I think about it, lots about them that didn't you know, make it, but ever so often I think about if it'd just been me, or say an old atheist, living alone, and if as the guys got close to the wrecked house, and they knew, might have said.
"Eh. Fnck that godless motherfncker."
Maybe not all, but maybe one. The others might be horrified, but one might not be. You know it's possible.
That isn't right. No way, no how. Not even to think it. Not just one.
Stop with the dEmOn/aBoMINaTioN/unHolY cRaP. We're just people, like you.
I'm pretty sure if your deity did turn out to be real, from what I know, it's not gonna hold it against you if you treat everyone like you'd like to be treated.
Let it hold anything I do against me.
I've not anything to say except that I agree with you 100%. Before we're anything, we're human. And every human-being deserves to live the life that's been given them.

Some stable somewhere

#501500 Mar 10, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>I gave you the author's name, the book, Nobel Scientists that back the claim and the AWARE scientific study. Why don't you look into it for yourself?
Why do you deny science? is it because science threatens your beliefs?
Why are you so closed minded?
Sorry, baby, a name isn't evidence. Sorry, baby, claiming that Nobel Scientists backed up a name you gave me isn't evidence. You didn't even write any Nobel Laureates' names down, you just made the same empty claim as you do above.

You didn't present a scientific study. I presented two academic papers by the author who's opinion you presented that were not hypothesis testing research - they were simply descriptive. I further critiqued them for you and demonstrated they weren't scientific studies.

But you don't know anything about science, which is why you write the above - and, worse, you're not honest about it.

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#501501 Mar 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
And you would be dead wrong in your beliefs as I came here almost an atheist over a year ago and through study and discussion with several people, atheists and theists alike, have come to accept Jesus as the final Levitican Atonement for all mankind.
Try again, BLL. <smile>
And although I can accept that that's definitely a step in the right direction, that still says absolutely nothing regarding your belief in "God."

Now, it's your turn to "try again."

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#501502 Mar 10, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dr parnia book has nothing to do with religion.
I did not bring up this scientific discovery for you to somehow choose religion.
I already told you only YHWH God makes the Jesus Follower. It is none of my business whether you become religious or choose Jesus or Krishna or Whoever.
The Scientific Fact, is that You. Your "self", what plato called the "psyche" known more broadly as the "soul" is a separate and distinct entity from the human brain.
All the NDE'S and ADE's that have been documented for decades where people scoffed and say it was hallucinations or a chemical reaction or drugs from the resusitation process, Science now says there is no way, the brain had anything to do with that.
Yes NDE's and ADE's have been around forever. But it was always in the realm of the religious, now its scientific Fact.
Also the the AWARE research. many ADE's experience interaction with a higher being.
That is a game changer writer.
Because the soul of a person comes back to them when they body is fixed so that the soul can come back into that body. The conclusion really is since the soul and psyche is not part of the brain, if you die and did not get resuscitated, what happens to your soul?
This is now my summary, but I say that soul will be judged, by a higher being, namely God.
Your soul exist, outside of your brain. Scientific Fact.
What happens to that soul if your body is destroyed, you can believe your soul floats around forever in a bed of roses if you like.
From what I'm gathering, it hasn't even reached what is considered scientific "fact". Just a reminder; Scientific fact is a very narrow category.
Noun: scientific fact
1. An observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)

WordWeb Pro 6.6

So far, from what you've asserted or presented, it's just a supposition.

Please, provide evidence that states it(NDE) is a scientific fact.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#501503 Mar 10, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Pi means 3, right?
3 hair pies are better than 2, que no?

Some stable somewhere

#501504 Mar 10, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>So as an atheist, you do not believe once your body dies, that is the end of the "I"?
Is that like when you say there is choice on one hand, but on the other hand you say choice is an illusion?
If you seriously can't understand my position by now, and you need to misrepresent it so, you're just never going to understand it.

1. You are your brain and body. It's a false dichotomy to suggest otherwise. When your body dies, you are dead.

2. Yes, we have the illusion of choice. I've explained this to you so many times, I'm not going to again.

Sorry that you cannot understand. I suspect it has to do with willfully ignoring information that doesn't fit your religious beliefs, that you don't like.

Oh, well.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#501506 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then, amazingly, Christians must be atheists now.
http://www.cupofwrath.com/risen-dust/03-heave...
http://www.learnthebible.org/three-heavens.ht...
All three heavens, located above.
Christian sources.
The "spiritual" component, while invisible, supernatural, unseeable...
Still above.
Sky.
Next time, supply counter evidence.
Christian sources.
You atheists crack me up. First you say God isn't real, then you try to prove to me or convince me that He lives in the sky....

Which is it?

God has no address, so I can't tell you, based on the Bible, exactly where He is, but i know He's beyond the sky.

Science will not enable us to be closer to God or to find the true whereabouts of God's location.

“The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say,‘Here it is,’ or ‘there it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you.”
-Jesus

Luke 17

Location hidden

#501507 Mar 10, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>boo..
Hey Doc :-) what's happening on the news today? I haven't looked yet.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#501508 Mar 10, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Abortion is MURDER. Therefore abortion is OF THE DEVIL.
Murder is defined as an unlawful killing of another human.

Abortion is legal and therefore cannot be murder.

It's a legal killing of another human.
mike

AOL

#501509 Mar 10, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> You are projecting your own miserable feeling and failings onto other people, there is no frustration involved anywhere in my beliefs IN Christ Jesus, so stop lying dejected and frustrated one, in this post you said something to me that you recently said to Epiphany2 concerning 'helping real people' and what makes you a idiot for saying these things to us is that you have no idea what it is what we do in our personal as it pertains to other people and we treat others.
The more you spout, the more foolish you reveal yourself to be and it says all so much for you, the starter of this thread may not have intend for his / hers post to sound testimonial, but it had that blend to it in their desire to overcome the human nature road blocks to God and to become a much better person IN Christ, it is re-posted below........
Just Wondering wrote:
I'm human and without thinking, I probably sin once or twice a day. One of my worst is impatience. Another is gossip. Let's face it, we all gossip and sometimes don't even realize we're doing it, like "did you hear about so and so whos name is in the paper" and that's after it's been passed along nine or ten times. Another is envy, especially when I hear of someone who has won the lottery and I think "Why them instead of me?" Laziness is another. I find myself picking up the tv remote instead of picking up the Bible and searching for the answer to a question that is bothering me and asking for guidance. I could go on and on but in my heart, Jesus and God are very important to me and I feel that I am loved in spite of the fact that I have to apologize to Him every day, sometimes more than once even though I feel in my heart that I don't deserve the love and peace that follow. Anyhow, JMHO. Blessings to all, I for one am going to work on those that I have mentioned and hopefully be a better person for it.
THAT set the tone for this thread right there as the scripture below all so much applies to you..........
Psalms 14:1-2
14The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
Thanks

I feel your frustration, a GOD is not real, so there is no interaction with something that is not real. Your weakness shows when you call me names it is an indication you too know a GOD isn't real. Otherwise you would be slow to anger, claims without work is void.

The first post on this thread suggest improvement comes from the effort of oneself, not some holy-spirit, or a GOD doing the make-over, it's all you.

Believing in a GOD doesn't guarantee anything, it's simply for self preservation if in fact it actually works and you as a finished product would speak for itself,...so far you don't look so good.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#501510 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaa, Only if he takes my 16 year old boy.
Not permanent.
He eats like a horse.
A big horse.
Maybe two...
Okay, deal.
The foot odor in his room should be gone in a couple weeks or so.
Probably.
Your son's gonna looooove that!

I know my 16 year old boy would love to loan his bed to a cute 19 year old girl....

Make sure you change the sheets.

Location hidden

#501511 Mar 10, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
when people in a relationship fight, there is sufficient blame " to go around".
Juicy is manipulative, deceptive, deluded, and aggressive, I certainly would not wish to live with her.
LOL @ angry karl troll thinking it knows me better than Epi does.... LMAO!
You sure are funny today, that's a good quality in a troll. I hope you never have a relationship like my marriage, no one deserves that, not even you.
:-)

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#501512 Mar 10, 2013
Henry wrote:
The capitalist system is on the verge of humanity
You don't say....
mike

AOL

#501513 Mar 10, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I guess there are Mike ~ are you in need of one?
Hello Serah

Not at this time.

Location hidden

#501514 Mar 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I can envision is this kid in 2nd grade that would eat wild onions during recess. These wild onions are really strong. He'd eat mass amounts, and he would be slobbering, red faced, and watery eyed from them, and almost seemed intoxicated.
LMAO!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#501515 Mar 10, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of the 73% agree about the message?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nl_8r7WG3g4XX
For clarification or just a good laugh.
How'd you get my family video??

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#501516 Mar 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I must not be making myself clear. We have all been encultured, each and every one of us, and we cannot escape that.
Enculturation is the human brain learning a social way to interpret the world around them, to understand their place in it and the goings-on in it (like to differentiate between grass and trees *or* to differentiate between usable and not usable plants).
The human brain is a learning thing (~organic machine). It adopts the social as patterns of reverberating circuits (connections between neurons in the 3-d matrix of your brain). Yes, your thoughts and experience feel that much more, but the reality is that when you stroke (neuronal death occurs) you lose faculty. Those social pathways fail - you become less able to perform in culturally appropriate ways. Hence, psychology and neuropsychology are, in part, culturally specific.
Your sum total of neuronal connections and brain are you. When you lose them, the "you" part fades and, ultimately, ceases. But by all means demonstrate otherwise - who wouldn't like to know that the "I" will out-last our body's mortal coil?
.. won't deny that stroke victims suffer from brain dysfunctions but cannot understand how that is culturally specific ..

.. for instance, the loss of impulse control is the inability to control emotions. How is that enculturation? Feelings are part of who we are and all humans (and other animals) exhibit emotions ..

.. if we are nothing but neuronal connections, why do we perform yoga, pray or meditate? Why ingest shrooms or pop an LDS tab? Are humans simply seeking a cheap thrill or a higher understanding of what is? Please, no brain science, simply address why man strives to understand the human condition through prayer, yoga, meditation or mind altering drugs ..

.. my conclusion? We seek to understand the age-old questions: why am I here and what is life all about ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FBI is investigating the Clinton Foundation, so... 4 min C Kersey 87
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Please Read 51,720
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 45 min Tony 6,735
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr whatgod 991,933
Who are you voting for March 24th.. City council?? 1 hr Joejowiseman 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Michael 693,160
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Peter Ross 445,966
More from around the web