“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#497954 Mar 4, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
A very good man, but imperfect like everybody else - not a god. Being good isn't good enough to be worshiped as a god. That distinction doesn't seem to matter to those committed to believing, but it's how an open and rational mind makes judgments. In some matters, a miss is as good as a mile.
You consider faithfulness a higher value than truth. The evidence for that is that if there was convincing evidence that you were wrong in your faith, you would prefer to go on believing than to be disabused of the false notion - right?
Do you remember this, which I shared with the tread a few weeks ago?:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
If you were wrong about religion, would you want to know?
Current Total 37
Yes (nonbeliever) 33
Yes (believer) 4
No (nonbeliever) 0
No (believer) 0
Not Sure (nonbeliever) 0
Not Sure (believer) 0
I'm glad you posted the link to that, and I'm also glad I made my position known concerning that before ever thinking about coming here - on that thread - and I'm also glad that I even made the distinction between "evidence", and, "proof".

“Painters Find Beauty in Life ”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#497955 Mar 4, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too Seraphine....Me too
Bonjour Epiphany 2, more will as will as time goes by.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#497956 Mar 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I will ignore you too from now on, you’re nothing more then a shit fly buzzing in front of the window.
Awwww..... I don't wanna be a shit fly.....

*stomps foot*

I don't! I don't! I don't!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#497957 Mar 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I think this about covers it.
“We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.”~ H. L. Mencken
There are limits even to that position.
HL's last name is Mencken? Aha !! Now I can track her down.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#497958 Mar 4, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
First, none are "innocent," technically. But, if Hitler killed anyone worthy of the kingdom, they'll be resurrected to everlasting life. As of now, those killed have no consciousness whatsoever. So, when resurrected, it'll seem like only a moment had passed-- like they blinked and voila.
I have to say that I find the whole concept of Original Sin to be one of the most unjust religious concepts since the idea that one tribe of humans was more worthy than any other, based on their ancestors. The whole rationale behind OS is simply to keep people beholden to the Earthly middle-men who presume to speak for the deity. Period. It certainly dismisses the idea of a just and benevolent deity.

Be that as it may, so you are really saying that it's all good for victims of Earthly atrocities? If they were "worthy of the Kingdom", then it's ll good, and if not, well, they were screwed anyway? How is an baby or child "worthy of the Kingdom"? You had mentioned before that they were treated specially because they had not time to demonstrate worthiness or not, but how is it determined who is child-enough to escape judgement, and who isn't? What's the criteria, and where is that founded in the Bible?

San Francisco

#497959 Mar 4, 2013
Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about a lousy understanding of scripture and biblical history. Do us all a favor Wild Rider and stick to your mediocre knowledge on evolution. It suits you more.
:)+)
CS.
Your lack of a refutation of what I said is noted, and is your un-Jesus-like behavior.

:)

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#497960 Mar 4, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
It's misguided to pray for an amputee's arm to grow back?
God fan do all things, and if you think that he can grow one's arm back ( which he could ) go right ahead and pray for it, be my guess.

Peace.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#497961 Mar 4, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
It was an experiment of sorts... I just don't think about labels that much... I am a Follower of Jesus as well, I just have my silly moments like anyone else and sometimes people are very hurtful.. You're right, our local churches do so much for the community, food parcels for poor families, volunteers after the floods and lots of other things.. It's a bit hard to take some people seriously here :D
:) I know what you saying. depending on who you talking to, the name [Christian] can either help or hurt. Sometime is best just to talk about Jesus and no mention Christian[ity] or the bible.

Sometimes you have to just laugh at some of the writings. But some of the writings want Christians on here to think a certain way about subjects like homosexuality atheism secular humanism and all that.

Some of those writings, not funny, but need a forceful rebuke and rebuttal to let the purveyors of such mental attitudes what is the Christian stance against it and why.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#497962 Mar 4, 2013
Good afternoon all.

San Francisco

#497963 Mar 4, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>You're very welcome. And thank you, as well, for remaining congenial and respectful. For the record, though, my religion is Mashiyachiym. I don't believe it was ever intended a new religion be founded. Rather, I believe Messiah came to reform the already-existing religion.
Wait, you are a messianic Jew and you claim the Hebrew Bible is inaccurate?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#497964 Mar 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Put lamb blood on the door?
LOL

“Love much, trust none”

There

#497965 Mar 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everybody may be my friend here but you sure are one of the most hated ones here.You evil liar and servant of Beezlebub.
May you receive all that you wish on others.

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#497966 Mar 4, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
CS...they didn't come here and start this discussion.

Really?
AnnieJ wrote:
They came because it was already going on.

There was no discussion here. There were conversations between myself, BLL, Quin, Steve (Skom), Storm Rider, Grace Walker and RA. We were at odds with regards to Law vs. Grace through Faith alone. One of them who believe the Law to be done away with asked about homosexuality. I vehemently lambasted the homoexuals and their reckless debaucherous acts. I was blasted for my remarks and I made myself crystal clear. All of the sudden and Lo and behold, teh 'Othersiders' on their muddy colored horses come riding in to defend very weakened position.
AnnieJ wrote:
They came to defend the other side.
The Othersiders defend a failing and morally wanting agenda. In other words, they have nothing to defend but lofty unrealistic dreams and mnisguided hope.
AnnieJ wrote:
The question is...who started it?
The question should be; when will we decide to finish it!?
AnnieJ wrote:
Who said the horrid things about a group of people that caused IANS, HL, Tide, Catcher, Scar...to feel the need to come to the defense of the gay community.
I care not of their worthless defense, their loose words and their little mind games that they oft times attempt to play. It is high time we ended this conversation about the gays. I speak clear without hypocrisy though many in here who say they are religious and uphold morality fail to speak. I give credit for the few in here who stand on principle and against evil.
AnnieJ wrote:
They didn't come because any of you think it is a sin...that it goes against God's word...they came because of the vile, nasty, derogatory remarks that were being made.
It is what it is Annie. We don't knock they for being people, but for the behavior they wish to publicize and legalize. They should tone it down and go back to the shadows from whence they came.
AnnieJ wrote:
I didn't start this conversation...they didn't start it...so wonder who did.
This was already answered above. And I urge those who stand for the right, to effectively end this conversation once and for all.
AnnieJ wrote:
Maybe that person that started this conversation only wanted his side to be represented...sit back and espouse his opinions and everyone else keep their mouth shut.
There's much assumptions within your post Annie. I would like to ask you not to do so. I still believe you're a wonderful person. Stop trying to force me to change my mind because it won't happen.
AnnieJ wrote:
Wonder who was responsible for the upheaval?
You haven't seen upheaval yet Annie, andc you know I don't jest. I do not want chaos to reign on this thread so I would like you to urge your gay and atheist friends to change the subject, as it is best for everyone.

Shalom and Love,

Andrew (CS).

San Francisco

#497967 Mar 4, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. I call it "The Divine Trickle Effect."
"God" is holy. In that, He gave Israel a law so that Israel becomes holy. To establish order, men are made heads of the tribes and households. Men are to sit as "God," that is, as not only physical examples of "God," but as verbal teachers, too. If men are forbidden from an act, then women are forbidden, too. Then, as Israel becomes holy, they receive blessings. These blessings serve not only as rewards for obedience and faith to Israel, but as incentives toward the other nations, too. As the nations witness the prosperity of Israel, this is to entice curiosity as to "How?" Then, the nations were to emulate Israel in order to receive the same.
The intention is to re-establish what Adam lost. But, with this comes the cosmic trial that began with the devil's accusation against "God." In order to prove His sovereignty, "God" allowed the devil time to prove his accusations against "God" true. As we read the bible, the one thing to keep in mind is "God's" initial intention, though. The intention is to re-establish what Adam lost.
There is no logic to the idea that you have to make men specifically in charge to impose order. Women are perfectly capable of doing that too.

As to the prosperity of Israel, well, that depends largely on the prosperity of the United States, and the US's willingness to continue funding/propping it up. Israel is pretty far from self-sustaining.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#497968 Mar 4, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it[observing the Sabbath] is only a COMMANDMENT, so it's optional, right? If you can ignore the Commandments, then the whole thing becomes Cafeteria Christianity; just pick and choose the parts you like.
I kept an eye out looking for a response, but I don't think that was ever answered. Maybe it was.

You know that particular Commandment in the myth, was the first thing the deity did after the creation. The deity felt so strongly about it, the deity sanctified it and made it holy. Then, decided it was important enough to reiterate and include as a Commandment. Law.

After you've read the bible 3 or 4 times, there are a few things that become very clear.

One is; The deity in the myth is a stickler for the details.

I know this, if I had the belief of the Christian theist, I'd want to follow it all very carefully.

Very carefully.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#497969 Mar 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, I know you're gay and I know you're having problems with society and I'm on your side in whatever way I can be.
But the plight of gays is in no way near the plight of blacks.
If you convince yourself otherwise, you're ignoring hisotry and putting gays on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on.
You do realize that I never made such a comparison, right? I simply made the statement that you are neither black or gay. The exact statement was:

"Perhaps because you are neither".

That's all it took to start this last little free-for-all.

I'm good, ain't I?

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#497970 Mar 4, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Today's Prayer
"For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God For, All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever. And this is the word that was preached to you" (1 Peter 1:23-25). Dear Father, help me to remember that my glory here will fade as the flowers. Remind me that my real glory will come in Heaven, where flowers never fade and grass never withers. Thank You for Your Word and Your promises. In Jesus' name, amen.
Prime time with God
Amen.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#497971 Mar 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I will ignore you too from now on, you’re nothing more then a shit fly buzzing in front of the window.
And you are the shit the fly eats.

Good point. Ignore me too please.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#497972 Mar 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilder may be gay, but he certainly isn't evil.
Do you understand that by your constant nagging of homos you're actually doing more harm than good?
You're making yourself seem very homophobic.
You're making us (theists) all look bad.
You need to understand that people come in many different colors & flavors and they are not all going to be just like you.
If you think he's hurting himself, fine. Keep it to yourself. If you think what he's doing is wrong, fine. Keep it to yourself.
Unless a gay person is literally harming you, verbally or physically, shut the fuck up.
Well actually you’re not worth it.
Nobody gave you any attention at all so now you’re trying me.
Go shave your womans beard…

San Francisco

#497973 Mar 4, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
"Gays Against Adam and Steve"
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/ga...
A Gay Person speaking: "Living in Massachusetts, where gay marriage is legal, this is one of the hazards of being gay. Everyone expects you to be pro-gay marriage, and I can’t say that I am."
LOL! I have to laugh at your attempt to make one gay person speak for all others, as if gay people were the Borg.

Critical thinking: FAIL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can anyone recommend me the best and affordable... 6 min uniqueutah 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min River Tam 818,436
i m in hot sex 41 min stemaxgizmo 2
sex (May '13) 55 min stemaxgizmo 117
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr karl44 579,442
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 2,203
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 2 hr andet1987 5,699
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 2,053
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr who 270,214
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr RiccardoFire 39,987
More from around the web