“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#497405 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, and I'll use your comment as a segue to possibly illustrate something, if you don't mind.
All atheists - are aware of our status in society. We never have to mention the status if we happen to encounter a person and learn that they are atheist, and that's rare, to just run across an atheist, as we know, except in these venues. I know 4-5 atheists here locally. Maybe 6.
This is our status; The atheist is automatically suspect and whatever is suspected, the almost immediate conclusion is: "That's what atheists do!".
All it takes is to say: "I am atheist" - nothing else,- and almost literally, an entire population of a large country feels they must dislike, be suspicious of you, or eliminate you for just one word.
Atheist.
I am the father of a fine 16 year old boy, wait - young man - and have raised him since he was 15 months old with no assistance. Sole custody. Just me.
I am an atheist.
I am a Honorably Discharged U.S Army Veteran. Ft.Knox BCT.3rd Bn. Alpha 3/7 "Ram Rods", Ft.Campbell, 2nd Bn. 506th Infantry Regiment AA "Renegades", Ft.Lee, 1st Tng Bn. Whisky 2/9 Quartermaster., Ft.Bliss 1/65th, 11th ADA BN. DSMB Plt. ARSOP. Ft Clayton 193 Inf. Bde. DSP MBT., ARSOP <=That's not all.
I am an atheist.
After my service in the regular Army, I worked for a defense contractor and helped produce over 2000 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles, worked on the F-117, the F/A-18, components of the Space Shuttle, and various other military and Aerospace projects. A team leader.
I am an atheist.

[Snip]

Some here may be reading along, and thinking:
"SO WHAT? YOU'RE AN ATHEIST! WHO CARES?"
Right.
I agree.
If only the status worked like that.
I am an atheist.
Nice post, my friend.

But to Christians, you are much less. And their church is the reason for that. Let's see what they have done to our public perception. From http://atheists.org/content/bigotry-worst-aga... :

"Bigotry Worst Against Atheists - The Ultimate Outsiders? New Report Casts Atheists "Others" Beyond Morality And Community In America

March 25, 2006

"A new study ... has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society.

"Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."

"Disturbingly, Atheists are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public," despite being only 3% of the U.S. population. Edgell said that Atheists "play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past" in that we provide "a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."

==========

Let's read some of that again:

Atheist are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public" and atheists "provide a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."

If that isn't defamatory in the worst way and utterly unacceptable, what is? Wouldn't you want such people as that article described to be prevented from teaching, adopting, holding high public office, serving o juries, and coaching? Atheists have been or still are prevented from doing those things because of this hate speech.

Are we really expected to sit for that? Should we not all object when Christians - including those on this thread - try to depict us in such terms? Do they not deserve our best contempt? Are we not justified in undermining the public's perception of people who speak about us like this? Should they not be shamed into STFU?

I just don't take that crap from anybody. Like you, I have worked hard, and lived an exemplary life of service, charity, and productivity, and I refuse to be demeaned like that without fighting back. I encourage others to do the same.

“Saved. ”

Since: Aug 12

Like Ice On planet Mercury

#497406 Mar 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul's words, not Jesus'.
Got anything from Jesus ?
Jesus: "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#497407 Mar 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
What will it take to be #1 ? LOL
.. gender reassignment ..

“Saved. ”

#497408 Mar 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you're just another fan who wants to have sex with me ..
.. it's contagious, happens to most everyone on Topix ..
ADYDAS

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#497409 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Good post.
Thanks.
scaritual wrote:
Also, I've seen it said a few times that the bible does not teach homophobia, or that is not a part of doctrine.
It is a part of doctrine.
RiversideRedneck is implying - he never actually avers - that there is no such thing as Christian homophobia. As you may know, I claimed that most or all Western homophobia derives from the church and Christian doctrine, which he implied was somehow wrong. He didn't want to play word games, which in this case means make a explicit statement of ones point, so I can't tell you what he actually would agree with.

But would you agree that he would be an example of what you say you have seen that we are seeing right now?

“Saved. ”

#497410 Mar 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang Quin! You need to stop thinking about sex so much.
Yeah right... smile.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Go buy a Corvette. It works great for midlife crisis. Trust me on that.
I haven't hit the Golden Years yet...
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not trying to be insulting but I like you and trying not to be a jerk but I sense something sad is going on in your life.
I'm fine... but I admit that it's sad to see what is going on with gay-affirming Christians in our nation (from my perspective at least). I didn't think the brainwashing would begin so soon... concerning the future legality of gay marriage. Oh well... means The Lord is returning soon, in my beliefs. The gathering of the wheat and tares analogy.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you one truth, the answers aren't on Topix. <hug>
Some are good answers, some aren't.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#497411 Mar 3, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>The gay person who wrote in that blog, "loudmouth gay friends" was just being honest of what he sees in his own gay lifestyle community. Obviously, I happen to agree with the gay person in this instance.
==========
Gays Against Gay Marriage
http://nogaymarriage.wordpress.com/
Why would you expect all gay people to be concerned about gay marriage? There are many heterosexuals that don't believe marriage is necessary to have a commitment.

As a black man Qu...have you supported ALL causes that the black community has campaigned for? Have you ever spoken out against any of those? If you have...it is no different.

Simply because one is part of a group does not mean that one will always agree with the majority of a group. That is true of all groups...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#497412 Mar 3, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus: "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62
Thank you!

A parallel to Lot's wife.

“Saved. ”

#497413 Mar 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to say, Seraphine, I don't respect the beliefs of people who promote divisiveness and hatred - and that includes what Qu is doing here. His bigotry is not respectable.
Right... your kind of bigotry is more respectable. As The Lord had said:

Jesus: "The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify that what it does is evil."

Another:

Jesus: "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

++++++++++

Sora/Seraphine is a humanist and ecumenist as he/she stated in earlier posts and. That is what the Bahais are... they believe all religions are equal. The world doesn't mind those kind of beliefs.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#497414 Mar 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. expose myself? No, it was a voluntary action, a response taken to expose your inaccurate and inappropriate slander of AIN ..
.. now, tell me again that you don't 'give a squat' about icons. You don't have to be honest with me but at least be honest with yourself ..
Inaccurate and inappropriate lol AIN does a good job all by hisself lol.You know like a needle stuck in a recorder singin the same verse over and over.It called starved for attention.lol lol.Much like you starved for attention.lol tis okay is a bit of child in all of us tis it not wonderful to be a child that belongs to God.Oh yea you one of his children too.You should be honest with your self right or wrong you belong to God.

Location hidden

#497415 Mar 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what all of us usually do. <smooch>
Is that a wet smooch or a dry smooch????lol lol

“Saved. ”

#497416 Mar 3, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you expect all gay people to be concerned about gay marriage? There are many heterosexuals that don't believe marriage is necessary to have a commitment.
As a black man Qu...have you supported ALL causes that the black community has campaigned for? Have you ever spoken out against any of those? If you have...it is no different.
Simply because one is part of a group does not mean that one will always agree with the majority of a group. That is true of all groups...
I'm just showing another side of the gay/gay marriage argument that others aren't aware of or "conveniently" don't want to talk about.

The anti-gay-marriage sentiments from gays should be heard also. They seem to be more reasonable than gay-affirming Christians.

Location hidden

#497417 Mar 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you have your crystal ball out? Again ??..
It in the eye of the tigeress.lol lol where you been anyhow???

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#497418 Mar 3, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>... but I admit that it's sad to see what is going on with gay-affirming Christians in our nation (from my perspective at least). I didn't think the brainwashing would begin so soon... concerning the future legality of gay marriage. Oh well... means The Lord is returning soon, in my beliefs. The gathering of the wheat and tares analogy...
I have hit my Golden Years and can honestly say that the same things were said about inter-racial marriage. I was there. Christains used the exact same arguements why Negroes were cursed by God and that inter-rational marriage was sinful formication, an abomination and even bestiality.

If we think something is a sin then we should avoid it. However, we should allow others to make their own choices to 'live in sin'.

We have freewill. Are we to be above God and take what God gave us away from others ?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#497419 Mar 3, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus: "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62
Anybody who believes that because they believe an ancient fairy tale they will rise from their grave, meet a ghost floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise to pass through pearly gates and float on gossimer wings while simply because I don't share their belief I will burn in a lake of fire and brimstone has their head up their ass and needs to finally accept their mortality.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#497420 Mar 3, 2013
Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son

18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about[d]: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[e] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said,“Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.”

22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[g](which means “God with us”).

24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Since: Sep 10

Mexico

#497421 Mar 3, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody who believes a 2000 year old fairy tale written by ignorant camel herders who believed in witches and thiought the earth was flat deserves exactly what they get. Clock me in with these two gentlemen:
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature"
~Dr. Albert Einstein~
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding" ~Thomas Jefferson~ excerpt from a letter to John Adams 1823
Hi there dude(ess).

Catcher welcomes you to the thread.. Enjoy..

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#497422 Mar 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Nice post, my friend.
Thanks. Just some rambling thought I have from time to time, as I sit and read some things said about people, and at times those things said by others place me at considering where I fit in this, and what is perceived, and what is the reality of the situation.

It's funny. I'm not going to mention the poster, but it was said - "and if this is you" - so, you know.

What is the implication there?

Anyway, I think that may relate in some way to your next comment.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
But to Christians, you are much less. And their church is the reason for that. Let's see what they have done to our public perception. From http://atheists.org/content/bigotry-worst-aga... :
"Bigotry Worst Against Atheists - The Ultimate Outsiders? New Report Casts Atheists "Others" Beyond Morality And Community In America
March 25, 2006
"A new study ... has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society.
"Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."
"Disturbingly, Atheists are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public," despite being only 3% of the U.S. population. Edgell said that Atheists "play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past" in that we provide "a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."
==========
Let's read some of that again:
Atheist are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public" and atheists "provide a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."
If that isn't defamatory in the worst way and utterly unacceptable, what is? Wouldn't you want such people as that article described to be prevented from teaching, adopting, holding high public office, serving o juries, and coaching? Atheists have been or still are prevented from doing those things because of this hate speech.
Are we really expected to sit for that? Should we not all object when Christians - including those on this thread - try to depict us in such terms? Do they not deserve our best contempt? Are we not justified in undermining the public's perception of people who speak about us like this? Should they not be shamed into STFU?
I just don't take that crap from anybody. Like you, I have worked hard, and lived an exemplary life of service, charity, and productivity, and I refuse to be demeaned like that without fighting back. I encourage others to do the same.
I agree. Completely.

You know we're seen by some as comparable to rapists.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/...

“Saved. ”

#497423 Mar 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!
A parallel to Lot's wife.
Right... she got calcified. Hardened. Reminds me of a person who turns back and they get a hard-heart against the Lord.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#497424 Mar 3, 2013
<quoted text>
The Visit of the Wise Men

2 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men[a] from the east came to Jerusalem, 2 saying,“Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose[b] and have come to worship him.” 3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; 4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They told him,“In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet:

6 “‘And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying,“Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” 9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. 11 And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12 And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.

The Flight to Egypt

13 Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said,“Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.” 14 And he rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed to Egypt 15 and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet,“Out of Egypt I called my son.”

Herod Kills the Children

16 Then Herod, when he saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, became furious, and he sent and killed all the male children in Bethlehem and in all that region who were two years old or under, according to the time that he had ascertained from the wise men. 17 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet Jeremiah:

18 “A voice was heard in Ramah,
weeping and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be comforted, because they are no more.”
<quoted text>

It's not spam, it's the Holy Word of the Lord, evil spirits get furious with these writings of saints.

<smile>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Stilgar Fifrawi 797,660
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Charlie Sheen 267,676
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 18 min Al Capone 5,331
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min guest 568,894
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 52 min Basque_Spaniards 17
sexy boobs (Jul '14) 1 hr LALIT KUMAR 4
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 4,574
Scientific proof for God's existence 2 hr Ooogah Boogah 660
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 10 hr Fred 178
More from around the web