Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#497239 Mar 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I think that this topic of defamation of atheists deserves attention. ;)
I agree, and I'll use your comment as a segue to possibly illustrate something, if you don't mind.

All atheists - are aware of our status in society. We never have to mention the status if we happen to encounter a person and learn that they are atheist, and that's rare, to just run across an atheist, as we know, except in these venues. I know 4-5 atheists here locally. Maybe 6.

This is our status; The atheist is automatically suspect and whatever is suspected, the almost immediate conclusion is: "That's what atheists do!".

All it takes is to say: "I am atheist" - nothing else,- and almost literally, an entire population of a large country feels they must dislike, be suspicious of you, or eliminate you for just one word.

Atheist.

I am the father of a fine 16 year old boy, wait - young man - and have raised him since he was 15 months old with no assistance. Sole custody. Just me.

I am an atheist.

I am a Honorably Discharged U.S Army Veteran. Ft.Knox BCT.3rd Bn. Alpha 3/7 "Ram Rods", Ft.Campbell, 2nd Bn. 506th Infantry Regiment AA "Renegades", Ft.Lee, 1st Tng Bn. Whisky 2/9 Quartermaster., Ft.Bliss 1/65th, 11th ADA BN. DSMB Plt. ARSOP. Ft Clayton 193 Inf. Bde. DSP MBT., ARSOP <=That's not all.

I am an atheist.

After my service in the regular Army, I worked for a defense contractor and helped produce over 2000 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles, worked on the F-117, the F/A-18, components of the Space Shuttle, and various other military and Aerospace projects. A team leader.

I am an atheist.

I am a former Final Inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration, and was a special liaison responsible for inspection on the B-2, performed work on every major Airline, signed off on Airworthiness Certificates and never had a deficiency. Hundreds of people every day trusted and depended on my work and abilities. I received an award for "Most Integrity", voted on by 60 of my peers. Twice. A couple shiny little plaques. No idea where they are packed.

I am an atheist.

My son and I moved back to the NE Georgia/SE Tennessee area - where I grew up. I sold our place out west, and was fortunate enough to purchase a house with some land here. I went back to doing what I'd grown up doing because we heated with wood back then. I started a small tree service and also sell firewood to support ourselves, sometimes giving it to people who can't afford it.

It's a simple life, no pressure, it pays the bills. We're good. During the tornadoes a while back, the power was out. We listened to a small AM radio as all around us the tornadoes and storms were hitting and the radio announcer put out an emergency request for help because the local emergency rescue workers couldn't handle all the calls. They needed assistance from people who could handle a chainsaw or just help. Anything. Everywhere. There was a house with a newborn little girl, her Mother and Aunt, trapped, and rescue couldn't get to them. One of many announcements that night. All around was devastation and travel was already limited. It was just down the road, and I could get close to there so I went.

Others showed up too. We cut like madmen, relentlessly, with only the lights from vehicles to see by and there was tree after tree and we couldn't get there fast enough.

The mother survived.

I still think about it. That's the way things go, but we wanted to get them all. So bad.

I am an atheist.

I could tell you all kinds of things about myself, like how I open doors for the elderly, the young, and all humans, sometimes picking up my step just so I can.

I am an atheist.

I have been for close to 25 years of the 50 I've lived.

I am an atheist.

Some here may be reading along, and thinking:

"SO WHAT? YOU'RE AN ATHEIST! WHO CARES?"

Right.

I agree.

If only the status worked like that.

I am an atheist.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#497240 Mar 2, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>?? can you point to an example on the billboard of a Christian that think if a person does not think as a Christian they are wicked and not a good person?
Seriously. I never see any Christian on here say if you not part of the Christian Religion you wicked and no good. so please, endulge me.
Because I know a lot of Hindus and Muslims and most of them are good hard working law abiding people, so I want to know who you talking about.
A lot of Christians treated me differently when I announced I'm no longer a Christian, so did a lot of non Christians, there are bigots on both sides, I think, but there are wonderful peeps like you, Clownie, Doc, G, Gracie, Epi, Senecus, X (sometimes lol), Qu, Skom, Serah, RR (I think), Lil Whispers, Larry, backwards angel, water nymph, BT and a few others...

Most of us muck around but some here are just plain vicious and I would treat them the same for that reason, nothing to do with personal beliefs.

I <3 you Bro :-)

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#497241 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
No. Have you?
<quoted text>
I went to a good church. But it couldn't prevent me from seeing the lies of Christianity, especially the god lie.
<quoted text>
Yep.
<quoted text>
Nope.
When you claim that America is a Christian country, do you mean all Americans are Christians?
<quoted text>
But your church is homophobic, and as a result, so is much of America.
You need to get out more. Did you see the toddler Happy Lesbo linked to? He's already mouthing homophobic hate speech.
"Toddler Sings in Church 'Ain't No Homos Gonna Make It to Heaven'"
http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/30/indiana-toddler...
Where do you suppose he learned that? On Sesame Street? In day care? Maybe he learned it from one of these pastors:
"Kill Gay People - North Carolina Pastor's Outrageous Sermon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uu4q2-nbvrwXX
"Pastor Harris explains telling parents to punch girlish sons"
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Your claims that you've never heard of any of this are untenable.
<quoted text>
< Orange juice shoots through nose >
The Christians on this thread belie that claim. I find most of them extremely partisan and quite unjust.
Good post.

Also, I've seen it said a few times that the bible does not teach homophobia, or that is not a part of doctrine.

It is a part of doctrine. The codified doctrine of every last person who claims they are a Christian, and uses a bible - the bible being the codified doctrine of Christianity - no matter what other denominational doctrine a Christian may adhere to, or a personally developed doctrine they may also utilize.

There is one that all Christians use as a basis for the belief.

I'm just going to use one word from the codified doctrine - the bible - that specifies the nature of the homophobia that is taught.

Noun: abomination
1. A person who is loathsome or disgusting
2. Hate coupled with disgust
3. An action that is vicious or vile; an action that arouses disgust or abhorrence

WordWeb Pro 6.6

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#497242 Mar 2, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of Christians treated me differently when I announced I'm no longer a Christian, so did a lot of non Christians, there are bigots on both sides, I think, but there are wonderful peeps like you, Clownie, Doc, G, Gracie, Epi, Senecus, X (sometimes lol), Qu, Skom, Serah, RR (I think), Lil Whispers, Larry, backwards angel, water nymph, BT and a few others...
Most of us muck around but some here are just plain vicious and I would treat them the same for that reason, nothing to do with personal beliefs.
I <3 you Bro :-)
You're going to be treated different if you change your religion.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#497243 Mar 2, 2013
Video covering some common fallacies:

Location hidden

#497244 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
I am an atheist.
That video I posted gets FUNNY at the end.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#497245 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, and I'll use your comment as a segue to possibly illustrate something, if you don't mind.
All atheists - are aware of our status in society. We never have to mention the status if we happen to encounter a person and learn that they are atheist, and that's rare, to just run across an atheist, as we know, except in these venues. I know 4-5 atheists here locally. Maybe 6.
This is our status; The atheist is automatically suspect and whatever is suspected, the almost immediate conclusion is: "That's what atheists do!".
All it takes is to say: "I am atheist" - nothing else,- and almost literally, an entire population of a large country feels they must dislike, be suspicious of you, or eliminate you for just one word.
Atheist.
I am the father of a fine 16 year old boy, wait - young man - and have raised him since he was 15 months old with no assistance. Sole custody. Just me.
I am an atheist.
I am a Honorably Discharged U.S Army Veteran. Ft.Knox BCT.3rd Bn. Alpha 3/7 "Ram Rods", Ft.Campbell, 2nd Bn. 506th Infantry Regiment AA "Renegades", Ft.Lee, 1st Tng Bn. Whisky 2/9 Quartermaster., Ft.Bliss 1/65th, 11th ADA BN. DSMB Plt. ARSOP. Ft Clayton 193 Inf. Bde. DSP MBT., ARSOP <=That's not all.
I am an atheist.
After my service in the regular Army, I worked for a defense contractor and helped produce over 2000 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles, worked on the F-117, the F/A-18, components of the Space Shuttle, and various other military and Aerospace projects. A team leader.
I am an atheist.
I am a former Final Inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration, and was a special liaison responsible for inspection on the B-2, performed work on every major Airline, signed off on Airworthiness Certificates and never had a deficiency. Hundreds of people every day trusted and depended on my work and abilities. I received an award for "Most Integrity", voted on by 60 of my peers. Twice. A couple shiny little plaques. No idea where they are packed.
I am an atheist.
My son and I moved back to the NE Georgia/SE Tennessee area - where I grew up. I sold our place out west, and was fortunate enough to purchase a house with some land here. I went back to doing what I'd grown up doing because we heated with wood back then. I started a small tree service and also sell firewood to support ourselves, sometimes giving it to people who can't afford it.
It's a simple life, no pressure, it pays the bills. We're good. During the tornadoes a while back, the power was out. We listened to a small AM radio as all around us the tornadoes and storms were hitting and the radio announcer put out an emergency request for help because the local emergency rescue workers couldn't handle all the calls. They needed assistance from people who could handle a chainsaw or just help. Anything. Everywhere. There was a house with a newborn little girl, her Mother and Aunt, trapped, and rescue couldn't get to them. One of many announcements that night. All around was devastation and travel was already limited. It was just down the road, and I could get close to there so I went.
Others showed up too. We cut like madmen, relentlessly, with only the lights from vehicles to see by and there was tree after tree and we couldn't get there fast enough.
The mother survived.
I still think about it. That's the way things go, but we wanted to get them all. So bad.
I am an atheist.
I could tell you all kinds of things about myself, like how I open doors for the elderly, the young, and all humans, sometimes picking up my step just so I can.
I am an atheist.
I have been for close to 25 years of the 50 I've lived.
I am an atheist.
Some here may be reading along, and thinking:
"SO WHAT? YOU'RE AN ATHEIST! WHO CARES?"
Right.
I agree.
If only the status worked like that.
I am an atheist.
I commend you 'scaritual'- and if this is you - find it sad that anyone must give a such full rundown of their life, in order to be accepted. Thank you for sharing.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#497246 Mar 3, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I commend you 'scaritual'- and if this is you - find it sad that anyone must give a such full rundown of their life, in order to be accepted. Thank you for sharing.
I accepted him before I knew all that but I'm an atheist.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#497247 Mar 3, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That video I posted gets FUNNY at the end.
I'm watching right now. These guys usually have some pretty good stuff.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#497248 Mar 3, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
That really wasn't the point.

The point was that there are many people, who after they know I am an atheist will completely change their perception concerning myself.

For instance, I could have came to this thread, presented myself as a Christian and said the exact same things I provided above about myself - minus the statement: I am an atheist - and many here would see that as a great testimony.

But that isn't how it works, is it.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#497249 Mar 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
'xactly

Location hidden

#497250 Mar 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
My name is Tide, and I'm an atheist.

I've been sober for 11 years.

Location hidden

#497251 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
I'm watching right now. These guys usually have some pretty good stuff.
I've seen a lot of their videos.

Sometimes I think I'd like to interact with theists in a similar format, but then I remember how mean I am. I need time to compose my thoughts, to proofread, and to make sure I'm being considerate.

When somebody shares their most sacred beliefs with you, and you can't stop laughing, I think that might be offensive to them.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#497252 Mar 3, 2013
@ Scaritual in response to you being an Atheist;
If your country is really that awful, it would be like another planet for me. I don't see that kind of discrimination here. The worst we have is yuppies looking down on westies/bogans and vice versa. Everything else you've said also applies to many of the Christians you like to mock and ridicule and insult, just for their faith and then get lectures for giving back a little of the same.
I might be a Buddhist today.
Namaste :-)

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#497253 Mar 3, 2013
<quoted text>
[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8
[3]“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”- 2 Corinthians 6:14
So, now, topix posters wrote the Bible?

I did not know we were so honoured o pathetic one, I call you that because you are an incendiary & dishonest numbskull, not for your beliefs or what you do with your parts.

Location hidden

#497254 Mar 3, 2013
Magical thinking VS critical thinking:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#497255 Mar 3, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhh; I bet you love her knowledge as much as I love the knowledge of the little fella? Pugstar also shakes hands, gives little kisses, sits and will sit and wait with his treat in front of him until he gives eye contact and told 'good boy' and then he will eat it.
A couple of times he has run off, jumped out of the car when I opened the door, and not having a hope in hell of catching him, I yell out "good boy" and he stops and waits for me.
I thank GOD for our pets.... perhaps that is the only difference there is between us?
I am grateful to have my dog in my life as well, but of course, to the universe, which I do not consider to be awake (sentient). And that difference is why we fight at times. It doesn't seem like a good enough reason.

I find religion to be very divisive, and of course, I'd like to see less of it in the world. I don't expect you to see it my way, but as you know, I put the blame on the church and its teaching. It emboldens Christians to market the religion and to demonize whomever challenges it, which is why we fight.

I think that the problem will vanish when the church is so small and the religious so few in number, so unpopular, and so closeted that the subject never comes up. Religion needs to become a very private and personal matter like sex, not a subject fit for discussion with strangers.

This is why I blame the church and not the typical rank-and-file believer like you.

And no, Dim and RiversideRedneck, I do not hate Christians. I loathe your church for what it has done to us - to you and me. There will always be rancor there as people like me try to beat the beast back, and people like you feel compelled to attack us in defense of it.

But yes, Serah, if we were both unbelievers, we would have nothing dividing us. Notice that I didn't say that if we were both Christians or unbelievers, because as Christians, we'd fight over who is worshiping the god most properly as I see here in this thread. You don't see the unbelievers fighting like that. It's religion that makes people so bold as to angrily point the finger at virtually anybody else.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#497256 Mar 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So had I...
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That really wasn't the point.
The point was that there are many people, who after they know I am an atheist will completely change their perception concerning myself.
For instance, I could have came to this thread, presented myself as a Christian and said the exact same things I provided above about myself - minus the statement: I am an atheist - and many here would see that as a great testimony.
But that isn't how it works, is it.
I cannot speak for many people's decisions or acceptances, or even how it works... I don't. Maybe I am gullible, but do agree some might still see it as a testimony... One of the reasons why I said 'it is sad'. I too... can be misunderstood, or misinterpreted.

Fennario

#497257 Mar 3, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
In the actual sense of the definition, a "god" is one that reflects the attributes of Father Yahoweh, making them capable of teaching others-- first, by example, and then verbally. Then...
"THE definition"? Look at how ethnocentric you are. Obviously, that definition is worthless to an unbeliever. An analogous definition from my perspective would begin, "god - a fictitious creature thought to ..."

Dictionaries split the difference: "god - a being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people"

Father Yahoweh? Have you guys settled your blood feud over what this character's name really is, and how to spell it?
Brother Lee Love wrote:
We have "false-gods." These, within the confines of our discussion, are those that choose to live by their own rules. Simple.
Also ethnocentric, and offensive to boot.

Fennario

#497258 Mar 3, 2013
You rely heavily on fallacies of equivocation, wherein the meanings of words shape-shift like clouds.
Brother Lee Love wrote:
...says the one that, apparently, doesn't have knowledge of how certain terms should be defined according to the bible.
Why would I care about how your bible defines anything? If we can't be mutually respectful - if one of us is to usurp authority in the matter over the other, let it be me. I'll tell you what your bible means, not the other way around.

And how is that relevant to the charge that your definitions morph ad lib? Even if you consider my understandings of words wrong, they aren't changing from sentence to sentence. Look at your treatment of the word "god," which has varied from anybody that doesn't worship to "lesser gods" and now to "one that reflects the attributes of Father Yahoweh." Weren't we discussing your charge that I am consider myself my own god? How can we if your meaning shapeshifts like this. I still don't know just what it is that you are calling me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Buck Crick 49,028
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Rosesz 646,729
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 19 min USA-1 38,759
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 25 min Truthiness 4
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 44 min RiccardoFire 44,704
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Brian_G 445,727
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 1 hr Brian_G 21
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Not Him 971,736
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Annaleigh 105,636
More from around the web