Since: Aug 12

Like Ice On planet Mercury

#497024 Mar 2, 2013

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#497025 Mar 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And I don't give a rats ass if you are telling the truth. It would be irrelevant to me that you've never heard any of this before.
See? You've brainwashed yourself. You don't care if I'm telling the truth.

Your mind is made up. It's "the church"!!!

DUNN DUNNN DUUUUNNNNNNNN......
That's also irrelevant. It doesn't need to be.
I don't remember if the Christian homophobia I heard in a church that Easter Day a dozen or so years ago was the focus of the sermon or not, but it's the only part I remember. It's shocking.
Funny. You say that my experiences with churches doesn't matter, but your experiences are necessary for your "thesis"...

It's spelled "hypocrite", BTW....
I know that and don't care. It's irrelevant to my thesis, like everything else you have mentioned. Christian homophobia doesn't need to be present in every Christian or every church to be the problem that I say is.
That is VERY relevant. VERY!

Have you ever tried to poll which churches promote & teach homophobia? And how often?

Have you ever tried figuring out if one denomination dies it more than another?

You'd probably be shocked at the results and would have to change your "thesis" about it. You might even have to stop calling it "the church" and blaming all evils on it.
I don't see any of those irrelevant comments as rebuttal to my claim that the church is homophobic and the largest or only source of homophobia in the West.
But you haven't yet posed an argument to suggest that you're right. You've only gone off of your own, personal experiences.

Have you considered that maybe it's just that you went to a bad church?

I doubt it.

But you're gonna sit here & say that "the church" IS homophobic. You're implying that ALL churches? Their leaders, their congregation, everything, is homophobic.

Here's a clue to tell you you're wrong:

I'm Christian, a part of "the church", and I'm not a homophobe. And nobody I know is either.
People who like justice more than organized religion will be glad to see the Christian church fade away because of that among other reasons.
???

People that like organized religion also like justice. We promote justice. We promote law & organization. We repel anarchy & the unlawful.

What the hell kind of church manipulated your brain?!

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#497026 Mar 2, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
No of course not, you are the very definition of moral...
Like these lovely humanists..
http://nambla.org.whoisbucket.com
What's it like in the gutter?

I've never been there.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#497027 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think so. Sadly, you appear to be defending the boy.
No, you missed my point altogether...

I should not have been told to lock my door ~ he should have been told not to steal!!

#497028 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
I began calling Dim "Dim" in response to his slandering. You seem to have forgotten that. I don't like name calling, and you might have noticed that I haven't treated any other poster that way. I get no pleasure in it. But Dim will remain Dim for as long as he continues to call posters "liar" without producing their alleged lies.
<quoted text>
Thanks. I don't expect people like Serah or Juicy to hold Dim accountable, just me. To them, my objection was to being characterized that way was reprehensible, which epitomizes the Christians response to skepticism in general. We're militant bigots to them for objecting to their hate speech and wanting to be free of its influence.
My hate speech? Object away.... I too would object if I were speaking words of hate!

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#497030 Mar 2, 2013
You said it like it was a bad thing:
No, I didn't.
Ians wrote:
BLL sez: "It's been my opinion that every person has a god. For the atheist, their god is themselves. You're proving my opinion to be accurate."
Actually, I said that just to generalize atheists. I don't actually believe that. If an atheist puts their wife before them in every aspect, then their wife is their god[dess].
Ians wrote:
In that is all you meant by "god," then you have cheapened the word.
Or, you're exaggerating the definition of the term to equate with the religious definition.
Ians wrote:
And yes, using that trivial definition, I am my own god, just like my dog is her own god.
Trivial? Alrighty, then. And what dog...? Wow.
Ians wrote:
Do you know what autonomy is, besides a cardinal medical ethic, as in patient autonomy? It's related to informed consent and agency. It's an essential aspect of personal development and self-actualization.
Look at its etymology and reconsider your comment: from auto- "self" (see auto-)+ nomos "custom, law." Self-rule is freedom and autonomy.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php...
Somehow, Christianity, whose cardinal value is submission, makes that a crime. When a Christian refers to you as your own god, you're being chastised. Or maybe you're different, and were commending me on my godhood.
I know what autonomy is. And used in a biblical sense and in Eve's mind, autonomy was "independence from her husband and by extension, "God." This is why it was said to her that her husband "shall rule over [her]." To Adam, it was said, "Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife." This, obviously, was Adam's fault. "God" had to re-establish the order He set up originally.

#497031 Mar 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to overlook some of the Hebrew fonts not showing correctly, if that happens.
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. Isa 40:22
Isa 40:22 BHT-Transliterated Hebrew Text
Isaiah 40:22 hayyb `al-Hg hrec wybʺh KaHgbm hann kaDDq mayim wayyimTHm Khel lbet (Isa 40:22 BHT)
Holladay Lexicon:
2391 gWx
gWx: circle; g hre, the earth conceived of as a disk Is 40:22; g al-pn thm horizon on the sea Pr 827; g mayim vault of the heavens Jb 2214.(pg 97)
TWOT Hebrew Lexicon.
2329 gWx chuwg {khoog}
Meaning: 1) circle, circuit, compass 2)(BDB) vault (of the heavens)
Origin: from 02328; TWOT - 615a; n m
Usage: AV - circle 1, circuit 1, compass 1; 3
GESENIUS' HEBREW GRAMMAR
[2867](Hebrew)(page 295)
gWx n.[m.] vault;only of vault of the heavens $lhth ~ymv gWx Jb 22:14; -l[ gWx AqxuB.~wht np Pr 8:27; #rah gWx-l[; bveyh Is 40:22
Definitions taken from BibleWorks 9.0 http://www.bibleworks.com/
^^ That's a handy software to have.^^ You should try it.
The verse in question is referencing a circle, specifically a disc. Other verses are also similar. Point one out if you'd like to look at another.
Whether you want to imply it meant a "vault"(which, again, in this context would mean all in sight to the horizon IE:circle or disc) or, compass, circuit etc...all of those variations do not mean "sphere".
The word in context and in meaning, as used, according to Hebraic lexicons denotes an old fashioned, flat, 2D circle. Just what you'd think primitive nomadic desert dwellers would use in describing a world they knew little about.
Not a 3D sphere.
Noun: circle
1. Ellipse in which the two axes are of equal length; a plane curve generated by one point moving at a constant distance from a fixed point
2. An unofficial association of people or groups
3. Something approximating the shape of a circle
4. Movement once around a course
5. A road junction at which traffic streams circularly around a central island
6. Street name for flunitrazepam
7. A curved section or tier of seats in a hall or theater or opera house; usually the first tier above the orchestra
8. Any circular or rotating mechanism
Synonyms: band, circuit, circulate, encircle, rotary, round
- WordWeb Pro 6.6
And yet, none of the synonyms for circle include "sphere". Circle is the word used. There was no mention of "sphere".
A sphere is circular.
A circle is not spherical
1 Chronicles 16:30:He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.
Psalm 93:1:Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...
Psalm 96:10:He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...
Psalm 104:5:Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.
Isaiah 45:18:...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...
None are referencing a sphere.
Cheers ~ I am still amazed at their knowledge of 6000 years ago and you aren't. I guess we can leave it there because I cannot tell you how many times those same scriptures have been posted supporting the argument that the Scribes and Prophets were wrong.

The 4 Directions of the earth still remain, though, and have never been altered to suit a more spherical object, and I still find that endearing :)

#497032 Mar 2, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Today's Prayer
Dear God of peace, make me perfect in every good work to do your will. Work in me that which is well-pleasing in your sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever (based on Hebrews 13:20-21). You are worthy of all praise, honor, and glory. Please see my worth through the blood of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer. Please forgive me of my shortcomings, and help me to live a holy life unto you, oh my God of peace. In Jesus' name, amen.
Prime time with God
Amen :)

“Saved. ”

Since: Aug 12

Like Ice On planet Mercury

#497033 Mar 2, 2013

#497035 Mar 2, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
Good morning everyone.
Good morning Lawest100, it is Sunday, nearly 8:30am and my chosen day of Sabbath!!

Not sure who recalls of when I quit my last job, just before Christmas in 2011, when the new CEO at the time was treating me pretty dreadfully. I put my Faith in GOD and started at the job I am in now on the 19th Dec 2011, but even I didn't think I would start work until sometime early in 2012, however, hospitality industries don't close for the Christmas period and I received my first pay before Christmas day.

Anyway, I received a phone call yesterday morning telling me that the CEO (the control freak as she called herself) didn't last a year, and that my replacement (in finances) has just been charged with embezzlement. Not saying stealing is a just desert for a company that didn't care for their employees as such, just saying what happened!!

Ahhh, and these days, I am well respected and well cared for in my role, and for that, I will always thank GOD :)

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#497036 Mar 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and maybe some of my effort here is to dispel that notion in some small way.
Do I think it'll be largely successful? No. But I've always been a dreamer.
If just a person or two gets it, and I don't mean leave Christianity, but understands that atheists or anyone who doesn't believe as the Christian does can be and are good people, then I'm good. The world is improved just a little bit more

QUOTE who="scaritual"
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/topstor...
Here are 5 posts, and in those, a person is called either a "demon", or, it's said they will "burn in hell".
Noun: demon
1. An evil supernatural being
2. A cruel wicked and inhuman person
3. Someone extremely diligent or skillful
4.(computing) a program that runs automatically or on a schedule without user interaction
Noun: hell
1. Any place of pain and turmoil
2. A cause of difficulty and suffering
3. Violent and excited activity
4. Noisy and unrestrained mischief
Noun: Hell
1.(religion) the world of the dead
2.(Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment
WordWeb Pro 6.6
Take from it what you will. I know what I take from it.
what a compilation.

So now wait a minute. According to you then, you here because you want to change even if is just one Christian, that just because you not think like the Christian, then you're a good person. And many atheists are good people even though they not think like the Christian?

OK.

Now. Worldly good, or good in the eyes of human beings, is not the same as good in the eyes God.

I think from what I see of you, that you're a good person. Even Catcher I think is a good person. Just because his worldview no match mine I no think he a bad person. But that me.

But to Jesus, we all no good:
Mark 10:18
And Jesus said unto him, Why call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.(that another place Jesus call Himself God, but that another matter)

[[[[[
So when you go get one of my post that I tell a writer they from Satan, that is based on Christian Theology taught by Jesus Christ. If you against the Christ, then you're of Christ enemy Satan.

So when you say you know what you take from it, to be correct in your perceptions, you must look at it from a worldly perspective, and a theological perspective.

Because worldly perspective I sure think you're a good person, based on the little writings I see you do.

But based on theological teaching, you're wicked damned and headed to an eternal Godless and Christ less hell and torment if you die rejecting Jesus Christ and His Spirit as the only true way to get to YHWH God.

Jesus say no one any good, that including you. So it not as cut and dry as you say. Now if you insist on it being cut and dry, then it may look like you on an agenda to criticize Christians, instead of looking into why Christians may say what they say based on Theology.

Trying to separate the Christian from Christian Theology, is like trying to separate the Pope from Christianity.

You can't tell the Christian that you good in the eyes of God, when the God of Christianity Jesus Christ say no one any good.

Now if you say you and your other atheists friends good in the eyes and opinions of the world and world system, then that another matter we may can find some common ground.

#497037 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
But they are both wrong.
<quoted text>
Why does that seem insightful to you? What are the apparent "facts"? The earth seems flat, unmoving, with a circular horizon/edge, and at the center of the universe.
<quoted text>
Of course we know what they thought. They told us.
And they had separates words for circles and globes or balls. They used the word for circle - chug - a two dimensional form. The Hebrew word for a sphere or ball is dur, which is used elsewhere in the bible.
Yes ....... but they still couldn't not travel the same way explorers traveled, however, this debate is old hat and there is no real point in continuing it. We each find that which we seek ~ you are satisfied with what you have found, and I am satisfied with what I have found, let us be happy with that?

On another note, how is your Pugeagle? I have put my name down for fostering or adopting another Pug, I didn't realise people didn't care for these doggies in Australia, and there are Puggies waiting for help.

Maybe none in SA, seeing as I had to get Prince Pugstar flown over from Sydney, but if I can put my hand out to help one of these little snoring beauties, I surely will :)

Perhaps too we can put down the issue of Christian v Non Christian and just take each other as we are?

#497038 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Straw man.
Christians tell us their book written by an omniscient and omnipotent god that also loves us and looks after us. Obviously not.
<quoted text>
The bible got the numbered part wrong. I have no idea what you mean by "our hair is unique" or why you mentioned it. And as for the genetic code, the bible authors clearly knew nothing of that.
Your book is as ordinary and mythological as the Iliad and Beowulf.
<quoted text>
No.
The earth doesn't have four corners. It has two poles. And every direction from the north pole, for example, is south. Would you say that the earth only has one corner there?
You can't make the bible seem like it's more than the myths and superstitions of ancient and primitive people without misrepresenting it.
We don't say GOD wrote the Bible, we say it is written by Scribes and Prophets; and of course, man(kind) has influenced the words doing the best they can to write it down, and doing the best they can to interpret it into a language of today.

When one uses the Bible for a purpose, as such, they perhaps gain more from it than when they are seeking Scriptures to criticize the writings of many thousands of years ago.....

#497039 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
My puggle responds with spinning and hopping to "go in the car" as well, along with "hungry," "breakfast," "treat," and "dog park." And she has to wear a harness as well - no neck.
Ahhh; I bet you love her knowledge as much as I love the knowledge of the little fella? Pugstar also shakes hands, gives little kisses, sits and will sit and wait with his treat in front of him until he gives eye contact and told 'good boy' and then he will eat it.

A couple of times he has run off, jumped out of the car when I opened the door, and not having a hope in hell of catching him, I yell out "good boy" and he stops and waits for me.

I thank GOD for our pets.... perhaps that is the only difference there is between us?

#497040 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm not Topix poster Oogah Boogah, if that's what you mean.
haha... I was referring to Topix Ooogah :) Haven't seen him/her around for some time LOL

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#497041 Mar 2, 2013
Lesser gods? Everybody that rules his own life is a lesser god?
In a sense, yes. But...

In the actual sense of the definition, a "god" is one that reflects the attributes of Father Yahoweh, making them capable of teaching others-- first, by example, and then verbally. Then...

We have "false-gods." These, within the confines of our discussion, are those that choose to live by their own rules. Simple.
Ians wrote:
You rely heavily on fallacies of equivocation, wherein the meanings of words shape-shift like clouds.
...says the one that, apparently, doesn't have knowledge of how certain terms should be defined according to the bible.
Ians wrote:
That doesn't make sense.
Yeah. Not the way I put it. Sorry 'bout that. What I was saying is that the term "worship," like "god," has numerous definitions that only make sense when used in the proper context.
Ians wrote:
When you use weasel words like "it's possible," you cannot be wrong,
Yeah. I'm nice like that.
Ians wrote:
..just as I'm correct to say that it's possible that you are planning to shoot up a school this week. It's possible.
You can say whatever you want. The difference between you and I, apparently, is that I say things are possible only when it makes sense according to the discussion. Nothing I've said would possibly lead you to believe that I might shoot up a school. But, you on the other hand...

#497043 Mar 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not Jesus words. It is the author's opinion.
Yes. Christianity has been based on the idiotic opinions of morons for 2000 years.
This is where the BS began.
Sadly no one seems to be able to tell the difference between Jesus and anyone else in the Bible.
It also proves that the author wasn't an an Apostle nor a Jew or they would have know the reference to Solomon and that Jesus was NOT saying his body is a building.
Oh, so you did understand what I meant? Sorry, I thought it went straight over your head :)

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#497045 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Lawest100, it is Sunday, nearly 8:30am and my chosen day of Sabbath!!
Not sure who recalls of when I quit my last job, just before Christmas in 2011, when the new CEO at the time was treating me pretty dreadfully. I put my Faith in GOD and started at the job I am in now on the 19th Dec 2011, but even I didn't think I would start work until sometime early in 2012, however, hospitality industries don't close for the Christmas period and I received my first pay before Christmas day.
Anyway, I received a phone call yesterday morning telling me that the CEO (the control freak as she called herself) didn't last a year, and that my replacement (in finances) has just been charged with embezzlement. Not saying stealing is a just desert for a company that didn't care for their employees as such, just saying what happened!!
Ahhh, and these days, I am well respected and well cared for in my role, and for that, I will always thank GOD :)
Just chiming in to say God does move in some mysterious ways.
He has a way of moving thoses he loves and cares for.

#497046 Mar 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
She was being sarcastic. She isn't an American.
Yes ~ it was in response to that posting comment "I'm not Jewish so I don't care" or however it was written.

I am often amazed at how many intelligent people don't seem to care about the starving in the world..... as if they have less right to be here and to be cared for than we do.

Even more sad is the fact that some of the richest countries in the world, resource wise, have the poorest and hungriest people in their care.

*** Mahi captained the Chennai Super Kings to two Indian Premier League (IPL) titles in 2010 and 2011, and in February of last year he led the Indian national team to its second ever Cricket World Cup championship. That success on the pitch helped turn Dhoni into Indias biggest celebrity, and the fame has paid off: last year, Dhoni made an unprecedented $26.5 million.

Only a small portion of that payout, about $3.5 million, comes directly from Dhonis on-field play. He has a Grade A national contract with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) that pays a base salary of about $200,000, though he also receives match fees and bonuses that boost his national pay well above $500,000 each year. Dhoni is also among the IPLs highest-paid players, earning about $125,000 per game played. Dhoni hasnt missed a single game for the Super Kings since June of 2011, including 19 in the last IPL and four in last years Nokia Champions League Twenty20.
World's Highest-Paid Athletes: Behind the Numbers Kurt Badenhausen Kurt Badenhausen Forbes Staff
100 images Photos: The World's 100 Highest-Paid Athletes
Tendulkar Hits 100 Centuries, But His Future Earnings Are Limited Chris Smith Chris Smith Forbes Staff

In Pictures: The Worlds Highest-Paid Cricketers

The remaining sum of $23 million comes from his impressive list of nearly 25 endorsements, including PepsiCo, Reebok and Sony. That incredible sponsorship income sets him apart not only in the cricket world, but in all of India.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/0... ***

Why is it that we keep giving the rich more? Why cannot Coke, Pepsi, Reebok etc etc endorse the starving? Ah, what the heck, that too is an old argument that not too many seem concerned with.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#497048 Mar 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just chiming in to say God does move in some mysterious ways.
He has a way of moving thoses he loves and cares for.
Thats for sure LW........

We've seen it time and again here..........When god wants us to move he sends in Dr. Shrink. The good Doctor farts and chases us all out of the room..........

;-b

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Tide with Beach 778,178
Gay snapchat names 18 min Somegr8fun 170
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min Rick in Kansas 265,444
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min truth 560,441
real music !!!! 4 r-e-a-l !!! 51 min Doctor REALITY 7
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr lovewithin 39,386
Scientific proof for God's existence 2 hr God Truth 48
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 2 hr Trannyfucker 136
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Lumajuice 441,821
More from around the web