Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#496778 Mar 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The straw man is as good a source of fiber for decrypted logs as All-Bran.
Illuminatrix wrote:
So, you're saying that because some or probably most priests in the Catholic Church (good friends of the gay movement), molested children it's ok for the gay elite to have "secret" meetings online posting pictures of naked children being raped and in various other positions of abuse and talking about how delicious it all is?

I had a gay movement this morning.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#496779 Mar 2, 2013
My comment was that [harassed Mormon missionaries] are obviously unwanted by many who are willing to hurt them, and they should consider whether proselytizing is appropriate under such circumstances.
Serah wrote:
That's what I meant when I said, sadly, you appear to be defending those who bombarded and drugged them

Even though there was no lock on the door, and I was paying good board money for my room, and certainly did more than my share of cleaning and helping out with household expenses, she told me I should have kept my door locked. Can you see the picture here?
I think so. Sadly, you appear to be defending the boy.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#496780 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No, just in reply to whoever it was about not being Jewish and not caring.
No, you didn't comprehend what I was saying.

It had nothing to do with being Jewish and not caring.

The comment was to the point in that I had given accurate Judaic/Hebrew translation of the words within the biblical verses and what that meant in exegesis of the literal words used, not the words substituted in the inferior translation, the one he preferred.

The accurate Jewish translation did not support, match or align with a different, and what is often referred to as a "Christianized" translation.

It was about preferring the less accurate translation, since the less accurate translation and the words substituted added ambiguity and that in effect supported his view.

The accurate translation did not support the view he had at all. It negated the other translation.

So.

He said he didn't care what the (accurate)Jewish translation said:

"I'm not Jewish"

That is commonly known as confirmation bias.

That is something many Christians utilize.
Serah wrote:
You didn't really give any link or statement as to who the poster was, so in reality, it has to be in your hands, doesn't it?
Nice implication.

I'm looking for the post right now. Please understand, I've debated this particular subject on many occasions with many different posters, and that is often the response, or something to that effect.

The first search I've ran resulted in 843 posts.

I'm not known for making this stuff up.

I don't need to. Many Christians supply it for me.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496781 Mar 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Illuminatrix wrote:
So, you're saying that because some or probably most priests in the Catholic Church (good friends of the gay movement), molested children it's ok for the gay elite to have "secret" meetings online posting pictures of naked children being raped and in various other positions of abuse and talking about how delicious it all is?
I had a gay movement this morning.
PRAISE PANGU!

Fennario

#496782 Mar 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
when you have people who, just by knowing I am an atheist, will talk about the glee themselves and the deity will have while watching you burn/be punished/etc..., eternally, there's a disconnect there.
I've begun keeping a list of some of my favorite Topix Christians that like to revel in the suffering of others:

[1]Skombolis writer whatever you did to cause these freethinkers to be so unraveled in hate and frustration, you need to tell the rest of the Christians on here how you do it, because is fun seeing how you in they heads and affecting them.- Trifecta at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

[2] "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." - Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF...

[3] "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones." - KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

[4] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

What a beautiful religion!

Fennario

#496783 Mar 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
The Flat Earth Society bases its claim of a flat earth entirely upon biblical text.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
What the earth looks like according to the bible.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/enoch24.gif
And there's the snow globe universe again. Clearly the bible was written by a god. Only a god could have known all of that cosmology way back then.

And not just cosmology. The bible is also godlike in its prescience regarding medicine. Have you seen the regimen for leprosy in Leviticus 14:49-53? It was way ahead of its time:

"And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop. And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water: And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times. And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet. But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house and it shall be clean."

How would it be possible to know that without the help of an omniscient god? RiversideRedneck was being modest when he said that his bible wasn't an encyclopedia.

Who's up for a little biblical geometry? The circle of the earth has four corners, and pi equals three.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496784 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
I've begun keeping a list of some of my favorite Topix Christians that like to revel in the suffering of others:
[1]Skombolis writer whatever you did to cause these freethinkers to be so unraveled in hate and frustration, you need to tell the rest of the Christians on here how you do it, because is fun seeing how you in they heads and affecting them.- Trifecta at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
[2] "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." - Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF...
[3] "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones." - KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
[4] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
What a beautiful religion!
Yeah.

Those are just a few. Very few.

So beautiful.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496785 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
And there's the snow globe universe again. Clearly the bible was written by a god. Only a god could have known all of that cosmology way back then.
And not just cosmology. The bible is also godlike in its prescience regarding medicine. Have you seen the regimen for leprosy in Leviticus 14:49-53? It was way ahead of its time:
"And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop. And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water: And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times. And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet. But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house and it shall be clean."
How would it be possible to know that without the help of an omniscient god? RiversideRedneck was being modest when he said that his bible wasn't an encyclopedia.
Who's up for a little biblical geometry? The circle of the earth has four corners, and pi equals three.
Here's another you'll like, you may have seen it.

Genesis 30:37) Jacob, however, took fresh-cut branches from poplar, almond and plane trees and made white stripes on them by peeling the bark and exposing the white inner wood of the branches.

38) Then he placed the peeled branches in all the watering troughs, so that they would be directly in front of the flocks when they came to drink. When the flocks were in heat and came to drink,

39) they mated in front of the branches. And they bore young that were streaked or speckled or spotted.

There you have it.

Animal breeders of the world take note.

According to the bible, genetic expressions can be altered and are influenced by whittled tree branches in the water trough.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#496786 Mar 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thou shalt not kill basically means thou shalt not *murder*.
Killing an enemy in war isn't murder.
Killing a person in self defense isn't murder.
Capital punishment isn't murder.
(The Christie's will hate me, but....)
Aborting a fetus isn't murder.
Hey, thanks for the clarification. What is killing children out of anger? Is that murder? Or, killing someone else's kids b/c you're mad at them?

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#496787 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
"Can you explain why there are several hundred thousand gods accepted by different religious people, but only one periodic table accepted by different scientists?" - anon.
==========
I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"
He said, "Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
He said, "Baptist church of God!"
I said, "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist church of God!"
I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.
[Emo Philips]
I am not here for that nor do I worry about such things.
Obviously all the gods were formed by folk over millennia, where-as the periodic table of the elements over 2-300 years as more elements have been added.

As for the the joke you posted, it would be a standard one I guess. The same has already been done to me - for not following any of these - and speaking against the grain of such organised, power hungry dogma.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#496788 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And to show my gratitude, let me offer something of equal or greater value in return. Please tell me what you think of this:
"Wherein they will hear no unsuitable speech. Within it is a flowing spring. Within it are couches raised high." - Qu'ran Al-Ghashiyah 88:11-13
Now that is some wisdom there. Imagine: Couches will be raised high!
Yea, verily, davenports will be hoisted, settees will ascend, and divans and chesterfields will arise as well. I'm not as sure about ottomans, but I'm pretty certain that love seats will be elevated, futons will levitate, and chaises will also be raised. So sayeth the Flying Settee Monster. O holy! O so very holy!
Ja, you can smile... and if you want, also enjoy an Islam version of paradise.
But thanx anyway...
You can choose what you want, and so can I.

Fennario

#496789 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
there is another just like you who gets some sort of perverse pleasure in calling Skom names
I began calling Dim "Dim" in response to his slandering. You seem to have forgotten that. I don't like name calling, and you might have noticed that I haven't treated any other poster that way. I get no pleasure in it. But Dim will remain Dim for as long as he continues to call posters "liar" without producing their alleged lies.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. you remember SKOM started the insult game by calling AIN a lying, bigoted hypocrite, right? AIN was gentle, just calls him DIM now. Don't you think that's rather classy ??..
Thanks. I don't expect people like Serah or Juicy to hold Dim accountable, just me. To them, my objection was to being characterized that way was reprehensible, which epitomizes the Christians response to skepticism in general. We're militant bigots to them for objecting to their hate speech and wanting to be free of its influence.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#496790 Mar 2, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Ja, you can smile... and if you want, also enjoy an Islam version of paradise.
But thanx anyway...
You can choose what you want, and so can I.
Why would anyone choose an Islamic version of paradise, unless they were Muslim?

"Hi. Hiding here. No, I'm not Muslim. Or Christian. Hell, then?"

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496791 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
It being referred to as a circle and that it is hanging in/on nothing were pretty out there statements for 6000 years ago.
You'll have to overlook some of the Hebrew fonts not showing correctly, if that happens.

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. Isa 40:22

Isa 40:22 BHT-Transliterated Hebrew Text
Isaiah 40:22 hayyb `al-Hg hrec wybʺh KaHgbm hann kaDDq mayim wayyimTHm Khel lbet (Isa 40:22 BHT)

Holladay Lexicon:

2391 gWx
gWx: circle; g hre, the earth conceived of as a disk Is 40:22; g al-pn thm horizon on the sea Pr 827; g mayim vault of the heavens Jb 2214.(pg 97)

TWOT Hebrew Lexicon.

2329 gWx chuwg {khoog}
Meaning: 1) circle, circuit, compass 2)(BDB) vault (of the heavens)
Origin: from 02328; TWOT - 615a; n m
Usage: AV - circle 1, circuit 1, compass 1; 3

GESENIUS' HEBREW GRAMMAR

[2867](Hebrew)(page 295)
gWx n.[m.] vault;only of vault of the heavens $lhth ~ymv gWx Jb 22:14; -l[ gWx AqxuB.~wht np Pr 8:27; #rah gWx-l[; bveyh Is 40:22

Definitions taken from BibleWorks 9.0 http://www.bibleworks.com/

^^ That's a handy software to have.^^ You should try it.

The verse in question is referencing a circle, specifically a disc. Other verses are also similar. Point one out if you'd like to look at another.

Whether you want to imply it meant a "vault"(which, again, in this context would mean all in sight to the horizon IE:circle or disc) or, compass, circuit etc...all of those variations do not mean "sphere".

The word in context and in meaning, as used, according to Hebraic lexicons denotes an old fashioned, flat, 2D circle. Just what you'd think primitive nomadic desert dwellers would use in describing a world they knew little about.

Not a 3D sphere.

Noun: circle
1. Ellipse in which the two axes are of equal length; a plane curve generated by one point moving at a constant distance from a fixed point
2. An unofficial association of people or groups
3. Something approximating the shape of a circle
4. Movement once around a course
5. A road junction at which traffic streams circularly around a central island
6. Street name for flunitrazepam
7. A curved section or tier of seats in a hall or theater or opera house; usually the first tier above the orchestra
8. Any circular or rotating mechanism

Synonyms: band, circuit, circulate, encircle, rotary, round
- WordWeb Pro 6.6

And yet, none of the synonyms for circle include "sphere". Circle is the word used. There was no mention of "sphere".

A sphere is circular.

A circle is not spherical

1 Chronicles 16:30:He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.
Psalm 93:1:Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...
Psalm 96:10:He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...
Psalm 104:5:Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.
Isaiah 45:18:...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...

None are referencing a sphere.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496792 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
Even when it was considered flat, right up until a few hundred years ago, or so, it was not considered square.
The point of reference? You just have no comprehension of knowledge 6000 years ago, when they were just learning to write and to create words could be like. You just somehow appear to think that they had the dictionary as we know it today at their fingertips.
6000 years ago? Whu?

Where do you get that age? The oldest extant copy of the OT dates to around 200-300BCE. The OT isn't thought to have been compiled and assembled into a linear and complete "book" until the Babylonian exile period. Even then, that's disputed. Please provide some sort of referenced and legitimate information regarding the bible being 6000 years old.
Serah wrote:
What of Matthew telling us every hair on our head is numbered? What are your thoughts on that? Considering of course, that we know today, a couple of thousand years ago, and proven by the best scientists in the world, that our hair is unique, numbered and coded.
Wild and erroneous conclusions not supported by anything but your belief that it means means something?

What about this?

TNK Genesis 26:4 I will make your heirs as numerous as the stars of heaven, and assign to your heirs all these lands, so that all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by your heirs --

CJB Genesis 26:4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky, I will give all these lands to your descendants, and by your descendants all the nations of the earth will bless themselves.

WHOOPS!

Boy, that sure was an overstatement.

But, you want to think DNA was being referred to in the verse in Matthew~/. What a hoot.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496793 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
Know what else a seal is referred to?
An aquatic mammal?
"OH!" Maybe you mean....
Serah wrote:
**an embossed emblem, figure, symbol, word, letter, etc., used as attestation or evidence of authenticity.**
*** I love these old Scriptures..
Book of Revelation 7:7 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.........
Are you referring to the "Rapture" now?
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

If not please clarify.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496794 Mar 2, 2013
Serah wrote:
Ever wondered why we still have the four corners as such, considering we know the Earth is as round as a sphere? And four directions..... Amazing, donchathink?
Four corners to you, maybe.

Four directions to me. The bible had nothing to do with that knowledge, and the entire world has utilized "four directions" N>S>E>W(in whatever term or language), before the bible was ever written. Pre European contact Aboriginal Americans, Amazonian natives, Africans, etc... Everyone.

Also, the world was thought to have been spherical as early as 600BCE and possibly earlier.
Eratosthenes (276194 BC) actually estimated the circumference and did pretty good, only varying by 2%-20% depending on the length of the stadion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth#...

The bible is absolutely inaccurate concerning many things, and the flat earth is just one. That's a very odd thing , since it was supposedly inspired by an all powerful deity.

Just imagine how impressive it would have been if the Hebrew had know just exactly the earth was shaped as, and, it's circumference. and that had came from the bible.

Just one small verse could have made a huge difference in the final analysis.

Because, that kind of specific and detailed information, found in an ancient book would have certainly been godlike.

It wouldn't read like the musings of primitive nomadic desert dwellers unaware of just how big the earth was that they lived upon.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496795 Mar 2, 2013
<
The straw man is as good a source of fiber for decrypted logs as All-Bran.
Served with some Red Herring and it's a hoe down.

"Yeeehawww"

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#496796 Mar 2, 2013
M_O_R_N_I_N_G

Everything is changing.
People are taking their comedians seriously
and the politicians as a joke.

~ Will Rogers

Thought for the Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#496797 Mar 2, 2013
Today's Prayer

Dear God of peace, make me perfect in every good work to do your will. Work in me that which is well-pleasing in your sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever (based on Hebrews 13:20-21). You are worthy of all praise, honor, and glory. Please see my worth through the blood of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer. Please forgive me of my shortcomings, and help me to live a holy life unto you, oh my God of peace. In Jesus' name, amen.

Prime time with God

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min June VanDerMark 559,696
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Dally Mama 775,857
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 3 min andet1987 1,284
Scientific proof for God's existence 4 min capitalism 10
Last Word + 2 7 min andet1987 982
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 11 min andet1987 4,462
www.mygiftcardsite.com visa (Dec '12) 18 min Delores Little 5
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min Charlie Sheen 265,214
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr mannibterf 441,787
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 hr Chris Clearwater 175,684
More from around the web