Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#496672 Mar 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Yeah, no.
Description of Straw Man
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
Ya, like you saying I'm dishonest & ignorant.

Here:

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when scar simply ignores RR's actual position and substitutes his distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

Location hidden

#496673 Mar 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible isn't open to interpretation to "make it whatever you want". It is what it is.
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:Some folks just misinterpret it.
<quoted text>
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
LMAO!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#496674 Mar 1, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>**SNIPPED FOR SPACE**Why haven't people got the right to play with an eagle's egg? And yet they have the right to kill as many babies in their lifetime as they can?
.. Serah, are you a mom ??..

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#496675 Mar 1, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What does it matter who Hitler killed? It's OK to kill sinners? I don't see where you are going with that.
Anyway, thanks and I appreciate the dialogue. You certainly have a different perspective on Christian ideology than many others I've talked with.
You mean St. Adolf who sent 6 million Christ killers to Hell ?

The only thing more evil than the Christian deity are the millions of humans that kill and hate for it.

Location hidden

#496677 Mar 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know much about the history of the Hebrews.
You should read their ancient history books or talk to a Rabbi. <smile>
Either way, the "laws" in Leviticus were written strictly for the Levites, the Hebrew tribe of Levi. There are still a few hundred thousand Levites in existence today....

Care to point out the error?

Location hidden

#496678 Mar 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Jesus said to avoid people like you.
Where did you read that?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#496680 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's not true, "only Jews aren't allowed to be gay". There are several other passages in the bible that talks about homosexuality, most notably the 7th Commanment.....
Please post where it says homosexuality.

I can only assume that you are trying to choke YHWY to death.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#496681 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If by "mythos", you mean the bible, yes. It does say that you choose & that God gives you the freedom to choose.
But another fallacy of false dichotomy, scar? Really?
Maybe you'd like to explain how the - false dilemma - applies to what I said.

Please, do so.

Location hidden

#496682 Mar 1, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If "live or die" is a false dichotomy, what is the other option?
Would you like to retract or clarify at this point?
To merely live is to be not dead or inanimate.

To die is to stop living.

If that is all you think their is to life, you got issues.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#496683 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True but it shows respect.
Do you not stand?
Agreed!

If I enter a Christian Church I take my hat off. If I enter a synogogue I cover my head.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#496684 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you read that?
"do not keep on babbling like pagans" Matthew 6:7

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496685 Mar 1, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we believe a rabbi? He is just as much human as the ones who wrote the bible. You know..the ones you keep calling a liar. Maybe your rabbi is lying. Rabbi's are religious leaders. PERIOD..........
<snicker>
Let's just throw the bible out then.

All in favor?

Say...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#496686 Mar 1, 2013
Agreed.

The Strawman Fallacy is one of the most misnamed and misunderstood rhetorical deciets in recent history.

Even academics use the term incorrectly.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, no.
Description of Straw Man
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:
Person A has position X.
Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
Person B attacks position Y.
Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.
Examples of Straw Man
Prof. Jones: "The university just cut our yearly budget by $10,000."
Prof. Smith: "What are we going to do?"
Prof. Brown: "I think we should eliminate one of the teaching assistant positions. That would take care of it."
Prof. Jones: "We could reduce our scheduled raises instead."
Prof. Brown: " I can't understand why you want to bleed us dry like that, Jones."
"Senator Jones says that we should not fund the attack submarine program. I disagree entirely. I can't understand why he wants to leave us defenseless like that."
Bill and Jill are arguing about cleaning out their closets:
Jill: "We should clean out the closets. They are getting a bit messy."
Bill: "Why, we just went through those closets last year. Do we have to clean them out everyday?"
Jill: "I never said anything about cleaning them out every day. You just want too keep all your junk forever, which is just ridiculous."

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Location hidden

#496687 Mar 1, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, the book called "Leviticus" was intended for all three-- Aaron and his descendants, the Levites, and the nation of Israel.
As we read Leviticus, we'll read who the command was intended for. If it was for Aaron and his descendants alone, it was written that way, specifically. It would say, "And say unto Aaron and unto his sons..." with none others included. If what was commanded was meant for the Levites only, then it most likely says, "And say unto the Levites..." with none others included. But, if what was commanded was intended for the nation, all included, it would most likely say, "Speak unto the children of Israel and say unto them..."
Leviticus 18:1-2 says, "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...
Leviticus 18:22 says, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
Leviticus 20:1-2 says, "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel..."
Leviticus 20:13 says, "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."
None of the above commandments were commanded to, strictly, Aaron and his sons, or just the Levites.
To add to that... Israel literally means="he strives with God". So, in effect, that would translate to = thou shalt say to the descendants(generations) of those who strive with God.
Notice it doesn't say "nations", but "children"

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#496688 Mar 1, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
no
simplicity is blindness,doubt, and dependency from other leader,teacher,or church
You as PW doesn't fail in this category
Inever glorify someone who horible contradict his own writien post,and each day is talking differently,he is like wave of the ocean rambling different directions dependent from the blow south,north,east,or west wind?
He is like boat with holes without of someone who can direct him only ne way
God bless you my dear PW
Thank you dr shrink...
But many - including G - will always be a friend... and I'll let God be their judge when the day comes. Just as He is mine, and knows 'why' I even speak to anyone... as you already know!
God Bless you also

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#496690 Mar 1, 2013
Mark was not one of the Twelve Disciples, and therefore he didn't "hang around with Jesus for three years." Both Matthew and JOHN qualify because they were both among the twelve disciples. They were eyewitnesses to Jesus life and crucifixion. With regard to authorship, the crucial factor of credibility was eyewitness testimony: that is, the writers of the gospels either had to have personally witnessed these events or they had to have an intimate association of and verification from those who had witnessed these events (from the baptism of John to the Resurrection).

Though not an apostle, Mark had the best opportunity in his mother's house in Jerusalem and his personal connection with Peter, Paul, Barnabas, and other prominent disciples for gathering the most authentic information concerning the gospel history. And we also know that Mark was the travelling companion of Peter, who is the real eyewitness reflected throughout Mark's gospel. The document has been called by some the "Gospel of Peter"! Papias, a Church Father, mentions Mark in the early 100's as the "interpreter" of Peter, "writing down" the personal reminiscences of Peter's discourses/sermons delivered over the course of their journeys together.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.421...

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#496691 Mar 1, 2013
The four gospels are eyewitness portraits of the life and events of Jesus Christ. They do, however, reveal somewhat different purposes with respect to emphasis. The Gospel of Matthew without doubt was intended for the Jewish community and a primary focus on Jesus as the Messiah who historically fulfilled the prophetic predictions and promises mentioned throughout the Old Testament Scriptures.

The Gospel of Luke portrays Christ as the "Son of Man," that is, with an emphasis on the humanity of Christ, and it was written primarily to the Gentile world.

The Gospel of John has yet a different focus. John clearly identified that his primary purpose was to prove that Jesus was God Himself. When John wrote his gospel near the end of the first century, Gnostics and other sects were beginning to question the divine nature of Christ, and John's major intent in his Gospel was to answer these critics.

The Gospel of Mark was written to demonstrate Christ as the Servant: "For the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). The Nativity accounts in Matthew and Luke make sense, because they would be important to establish both Messianic and human lineage. It does not, however, suit Mark's purpose, as the lineage of a "slave" or a "servant" is unimportant.

This answers your question about why one would not expect Mark to mention the virgin birth in his gospel. It did not suit his purpose.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.421...

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#496692 Mar 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's just throw the bible out then.
All in favor?
Say...
>>>S-t-o-p<< <

It will be needed to verify my book when it finally gets to the end!
There is 'good reason' for this...

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#496694 Mar 1, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry Seen, you have been away from the forum for awhile, so are not aware that there is a self appointed leader (pastor, I think he last referred to himself as) and he has a list he is leader of. I don't think he will want you on his list, even though he is definitely not a Christian.
But, then again, there is another just like you who gets some sort of perverse pleasure in calling Skom names, so perhaps you two are peas in a pod, like cousins so to speak. I'm sure the two of you will be best friends in no time LOL
.. you remember SKOM started the insult game by calling AIN a lying, bigoted hypocrite, right? AIN was gentle, just calls him DIM now. Don't you think that's rather classy ??..

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#496695 Mar 1, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
read Bible,
you will find in Job statement about Eart hanging on nothing in darkness?
read Bible,read Bible read Bible read Bible
and after this reading 7 times,return here and opne your empty without of teeths mouth
I would have never thought it possible, bur Dr shrink may be Divine Alien's love child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 3 min Aquarius-WY 3,107
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 542,587
Next Time Someone Says "HILLARY CLINTON 2016" 4 min Bev Jamison 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min ROCCO 739,585
are alex jones fans retarded? 13 min Bev Jamison 6
Only REAL LOOZERS don't love their mothers who ... 20 min Bev Jamison 2
Do you LOVE 'the Price is Right!' ?? What's you... 22 min Bev Jamison 2
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min Pegasus 259,526
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr well 95,508
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 5 hr Joana 150

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••