mike

AOL

#494848 Feb 26, 2013
Pilgrim_ wrote:
Forgot to say, that the Church is not a building but the body of believers in Christ.
Will that body of believers ever gather as one in this life?

Can all the pastors/pimps gather their "nuts" and put them in one basket?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#494849 Feb 26, 2013
Sora wrote:
Bonsoir Monsieur, thank you. In my opinion my answer is no if we look at all the leaders they are not genuine they are sociopathic and merely appear to be so, I believe this is why many have left Christianity due to this reason it becomes difficult to tell the real from the genuine for some. Do you agree?
Do I think some of the people that *wander* into a cult are looking for something that they feel they are missing and yearn for? Yes, I do.

I wouldn't begin to try and identify all of the possible reasons. Suffice to say, they are likely susceptible to seeing something where there is no genuine benefit, effect or ... solace ... to be found.

Maybe those leaders have some insight into that state, can identify that within an individual, and use that to advantage. Who knows?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#494850 Feb 26, 2013
mike wrote:
Did a GOD really tell Moses to kill a man for picking up a few sticks, or was moses just an angry man?
Violence in the old testament is a problem for a lot of us. Or to put it another way, why does God get nicer in the new?

This might help. Blessed Julian of Norwich wondered about the wrath of God and how to square it with the God of love.

After one of her visions, she is reported to have said, "I saw no wrath except on man's part, and that he forgives in us."
mike

AOL

#494851 Feb 26, 2013
If jesus is the mediator between GOD and man, what is the purpose of a pastor/pimp?

To make one "Feel" good?

Excite the emotions, then get paid!
mike

AOL

#494852 Feb 26, 2013
Pretend there is a GOD to escape reality?

What one does in private is their business.

Express yourself in public, you get what you get.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#494853 Feb 26, 2013
Sora wrote:
My soulmate and I are Catholic and we are Classically educated Humanists as well. One can see a person by their actions, the words themselves can often be hollow. We also have met many that they were the Incarnations of Jesus, another problem that needs to be corrected.
Whew... Yeah. A multiple (re)incarnation of the Jesus is quite impossible from my understanding of the myth(as it is currently understood in modern times), and no offense, I do consider it myth. By that I mean I'm not going to argue against that it is possible a human identified or named Jesus may have lived, but the claim to deity I don't think is there, for numerous reasons. I was raised Christian, went/sent to private schools. Good ones, bible classes every day etc... No horror story. I wasn't molested or beaten - physically or mentally - by teachers or the religious institution. Whenever that comes up, concerning my past with Christianity, I feel I must point that out, since, it's often said that I must've had a horrific experience of some sort - "and that's why you are atheist!".

You know, sometimes people come to different conclusions through reason and in that process, do not find anything substantive in deities and/or the religion associated with those deities.
Sora wrote:
We are often said to be the voice of reason and self-control and we are not Christian apologists. If the Christian faith wishes to be better they must come to terms with their past and strive to do better especially in regards to the leadership as a Catholic I am fully aware of the abuses and history of The Church.
Well, yeah. I think for some people there are some advantages within religion, and I wouldn't dispute that in a sweeping commentary and condemnation concerning all religions.

I do think that sometimes, however, some think there is far more there than actually is. That's not a specific charge against Christianity, btw. I do understand some will think it is. That's fine.

Back to the initial point we are discussing. Maybe it's that expectation of finding some sort of *all encompassing and soothing balm* within mainstream religion and not finding it - because of that expectation of instant nirvana - and then looking about for something that really grabs them.

A charismatic and manipulative leader of a cult might just fit the bill.

That could also apply to religion in general, because I've seen leaders within accepted and *approved* religions that are really successful at tending their flock, and in looking, there is no more advantage available there than in an average and somewhat mundane group at a religious assembly just down the street.

It seems the mind is what creates the value, and if you think the value is fantastic, then you'll feel or think it's fantastic. Even if two identical religious groups are compared, the group with the really inspiring leader and group will appear to be much better when in reality the groups are both exactly the same as far as well being is concerned.

So, if you were to attend a service of each group, one might really seem better, and you'd go there if you were looking for that type of human interaction in a religious setting and becoming a member. Maybe that's where cults draw their power and members. In that look for something special or motivating, they(those people looking for spectacular inspiration) happened to visit a few religious groups that were flat out boring or uninspiring.

The entire process and phenomenon of belief - the how and why or the reasons - it is embraced or accepted within religion and as it applies to religion is a fascinating subject.

Be it cult or otherwise.

I'm interested in your observations and thoughts concerning this.

Good discussion and thought.

Thanks.

Location hidden

#494854 Feb 26, 2013
The Apostles Creed is an early statement of Christian belief. ""Let them give credit to the Creed of the Apostles, which the Roman Church has always kept and preserved undefiled." Ambrose 390 AD

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#494855 Feb 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Or a contusion.
Or a contagion?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#494856 Feb 26, 2013
Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.
mike

AOL

#494857 Feb 26, 2013
Pilgrim_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Violence in the old testament is a problem for a lot of us. Or to put it another way, why does God get nicer in the new?
This might help. Blessed Julian of Norwich wondered about the wrath of God and how to square it with the God of love.
After one of her visions, she is reported to have said, "I saw no wrath except on man's part, and that he forgives in us."
Thanks

Does that mean the old testament sholud be ignored?

How does a GOD show love to just his own?

The new GOD never materialize!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#494858 Feb 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
As it is in heaven.
For ever and ever.
Amen.
Amen...As it is in heaven

:-)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#494859 Feb 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
This THREAD is what I deem it to be.
I've only been here for a couple of days and so far I've seen little charity.
Serah called me a dickhead and accused me of being mean to her.
I'm here. Whether I'm welcome or not means little at this point.
River T.....You are welcome....>>>H_U_G_S <<<
mike

AOL

#494860 Feb 26, 2013
Pilgrim_ wrote:
The Apostles Creed is an early statement of Christian belief. ""Let them give credit to the Creed of the Apostles, which the Roman Church has always kept and preserved undefiled." Ambrose 390 AD
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
What does "Amen" mean?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#494861 Feb 26, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

Isaiah 40:31

Have a great day everyone....

Peace

Love

and

Brotherhood

Location hidden

#494862 Feb 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
As it is in heaven.
For ever and ever.
Amen.
:) Amen
mike

AOL

#494863 Feb 26, 2013
Why does a GOD use people to tell other people a GOD is real?

Does a GOD ever "thunder" on a cloudless day or
night?

Why must people rely on other people to learn about a GOD.

The good book states, in that day no man will teach another about a GOD, what day is that?

Location hidden

#494864 Feb 26, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>What does "Amen" mean?
www.google.com lol
mike

AOL

#494865 Feb 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging Words.....
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Peace
Love
and
Brotherhood
You must be the disciple a GOD love's, you seem to get everything you pray for......Wow

Location hidden

#494866 Feb 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging Words.....
Peace
Love
and
Brotherhood
Thanks for your posts Epiphany2. Nice to see positive thoughts and positive words of encouragement being made to this thread. Have a great day too.
mike

AOL

#494867 Feb 26, 2013
Pilgrim_ wrote:
<quoted text>
www.google.com lol
Thanks

I have dial-up service, it's way too slow.

Can you tell me what "Amen" mean?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min guest 548,471
bhains ki chudai liaise ki........ (Feb '14) 39 min Crazy Jaat 30
what are the physical differences between india... (Jun '09) 46 min fiz 36
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr nanoanomaly 750,282
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr RADEKT 261,623
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Molly the jewess 118,650
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr An NFL Fan 37,256
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 11 hr girls united states 125
Do you enjoy seeing your sister nude / naked? (Sep '13) 11 hr girls united states 387

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE