Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#494037 Feb 24, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It was then that the merry duo embarked on the last journey of their lives, each looking forward to his secret prank of removing the other's parachute, and replacing it with dirty socks.
Each confident that they could save their friend by sharing his own parachute, they dove headlong into the wind, oblivious to their fates. One can only imagine the looks on their faces, the roller coaster of emotions, and the last thoughts they held before greeting the Earth.
I for one, would like to believe that they each respected the other's awesome prank, and could not fault each other for doing the same thing. What are the odds? Surely they held no ill will towards each other. How could they? Yes, I believe they died as friends, laughing and smiling, performing as much physical comedy as they could given the situation, like flapping their "wings" or doing a cannonball pose. That is what I choose to believe.
The Sperm whale greets the Earth.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#494038 Feb 24, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Please explain to me where these "people" who used copper and bronze tools(or lesser tools) were able to design and construct such structures with just slightly more intelligence than cavemen who could barely construct a proper wheel, to tolerances of hundredths of an inch(in materials much harder than their tools) over acres of footprint all over the world...much of which was not even known at the time...yet they were all nearly identical in layout and structure.
How is it that they all followed the "divine" principal of the 4 pillars?
Please try to do it without stooping to defamation and name calling.
Hunter gatherers built elaborate structures, actually.

People of the past were as intelligent as we are today. They simply lacked our knowledge and technology. They were equally innovative as any of us are - perhaps more so, since their environment was technologically impoverished and difficult to survive in.

However, there are all kinds of ways to use ancient technologies to get accurate measurements. Pendulums give relatively accurate measurements using light and shadow (and you can measure distant objects with shadow), jade is harder than steel, obsidian finer than surgical steel, wood expands with water and cuts rock, leverage allows you to lift much heavier objects.

Pyramids are pretty easy to build - you just stick less big rocks on the second level, less on the third, and so on, and you get a pyramid. It's the easiest structure to build out of stone and that's why the ancient world has a lot of them. For most dig sites, archaeologists have evidence of how buildings were built and they've often found the tools used to do so.

Which structures do you think people could not have built?

The thing is, if you're going to suggest that we couldn't do it, you're going to have to provide evidence for your remarkable hypothesis. As it stands, there's absolutely no reason to think people could not have built any human structure on this planet.

If, however, we found a robot or spaceship or something from 3000 BC, that would change.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#494039 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave said I was pretty.
Buck called me an idiot.
Eagle wants to save my soul.
Just another day in paradox.
And Catcher cares for you.

Some stable somewhere

#494040 Feb 24, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>iyai!
False comparison.
If I was insecure about Jesus Christ and scared of Vishnu, I would be on a Hindu billboard trying to drag Vishnu down.
That reason you grossly insecure about your philosophy secular humanism, and on a Christian billboard, because you scared to death the Christian God Jesus Christ, is the only way to get to the one true God.
And you here trying to drag down the God of Christianity.
So you [squirm] claim is a lie. Its you that is squirming, that why you nervous fright want the Christian God Jesus Christ to be imaginary. If you was secure in secular humanism, you would not be on this billboard trying to drag down Christianity. You is nowhere as smart, as you think you are.
Nope. I'm just trying to open your eyes with respect to other peoples.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#494041 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Because all believers subjectively know their religions are correct. And if any other religion is correct, yours is not. Also, my subjective reality includes no deities - and it is the only version of reality that explains all the others.
In my opinion, the evidence from the social sciences demonstrates that religions are entirely the products of humans, no divine agencies required. Additionally, the actions of religious institutions and people demonstrate a morality no different than any other peoples - more evidence that none of you are in contact with a perfectly moral being. If you were, your actions would be different.
Last, how do you KNOW that any other deity isn't real? How do you know you're not worshiping a false idol of, say, Vishnu?
My only reason for writing the last two sentences above is to reflect your logic back at you.
No one is trying to make you believe in Jesus Christ, so don't even go there. You have to be 'drawn to Jesus Christ.

I know I am not worshiping a false idol.

I guess all that is left for you , is when you die, you will find out what you do not know about your Spirit.

I guess that you DO believe you will die, one of these days , don't you?

Some stable somewhere

#494042 Feb 24, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>sleep well.
Thanks. You too :)

Some stable somewhere

#494043 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hurt.
Except for you, baby! I enjoy all your posts.

“Painters Find Beauty in Life ”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#494044 Feb 24, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Seraphine.
It is a truth that the words we speak are not new, and all through time, that which is Divine – has been a part of mankind... passing on God's Wisdom to the new generations. We live in a time with more urgency to share this. That... is the easy part.
We can foster love, peace, compassion, tolerance and respect for human beings everywhere... but when it comes to rescue work, none are asked what their belief system is. It would be like taking the hand of a drowning child and letting them go...' just because'! Or hearing another under the rubble of an earthquake... and turning a deaf ear.
At such a time of so many world wide disasters along with those man made... it would be a vacation for a peace warrior to comfortably settle down and live in such harmony. But the work goes on... where the children's cries are the loudest... and we can only pray that once rescued, they too will know True Peace. The Peace that passes all understanding...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sjulzGRgsXsXX
Justice
This also is our Cause!
God Bless you both in your work. You wrote you had just begun...
Greetings to you both!
Bonsoir mon ami, thank you. In regards to the belief system is has been damaged by hypocrisy hence the reason why no person aks. Many are surprised when we say that we are Christian. Indeed we are Christian Humanists to be more precise. One can share anything they wish but your actions shall determine if others shall follow, in my humble opinion. Our words kill people every day in every sense imaginable Sora and I are here to change this our words shall provide life and inspiration. Our work shall not be easy but again nothing in this world is it merely seems so consider the event Gandhi put into motion the frreing of India was not an event that happened overnight it took time and patience. Although we see much evil in the world we are eternally optimistic about humanity and this is what makes our work more fruitful.

Some stable somewhere

#494045 Feb 24, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually ...to me it's quite simple; those with the money make the rules.
Yeah. That kind of sucks.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#494046 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, right, sorry. I'll start with "there must have been a nuclear war in the past because that's what I see, as a contemporary person, when I take out snippets of past mythology and ignore entirely their context, language and all the information we have on them."
To be a good anthropologist, I need to be like you, right? Start with some deeply held idea, ignore all evidence around me, cherry pick supporting myths, and tell everyone they're wrong unless they agree with me. Then, when they produce evidence, I'll tell them "you didn't explain it perfectly, so I'm right! Nya!"
Yes, that will make me a good scientist just like you. I'm glad you cleared that up for me, thanks.
I believe the site BT is refering to is Rajasthan, India where an ancient layer of radioactive ash was discovered.
It has been postulated, based on Hindu religious documents that a metor with a high uranium content struck there around 8000 years ago.

"A single projectile charged with all the power in the Universe...An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as 10,000 suns, rose in all its splendor...it was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death which reduced to ashes an entire race." - Mahabharata

Some stable somewhere

#494047 Feb 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I for one am still teary eyed.
The brute.
I thought that Skom and I would become good drinking buddies, like Eagle12 and I. Oh, well. Not to be.

Location hidden

#494048 Feb 24, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
CONT...
<quoted text>
Article 24.
Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.
Article 25.
(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
(2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
Article 26.
(1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
(2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
(3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
Article 27.
(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Article 28.
Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realised.
Article 29.
(1) Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.
(2) In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
(3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.
Article 30.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.
<quoted text>
www.un.org
There are many many many good people and groups in this world, of every race, creed, religion, preference, groups etc... That are doing and will continue to do, everything they can to put a stop to anything that conflicts with these rights.
Constantly ranting on topix for 'entertainment', about things you do not know, will get you nowhere and just perpetuates the problem.
Bonsoir Luciana, keep up the good work cher. We need more like you in this world.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#494049 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I make the rules and then I break them.
Damn you deities! You're all alike!

Some stable somewhere

#494050 Feb 24, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is trying to make you believe in Jesus Christ, so don't even go there. You have to be 'drawn to Jesus Christ.
I know I am not worshiping a false idol.
I guess all that is left for you , is when you die, you will find out what you do not know about your Spirit.
I guess that you DO believe you will die, one of these days , don't you?
Yes, as we know, all believers "know" their deities are the "real" ones. I'm not surprised, even slightly, that you "know" yours is "real," too.

Oh, Simply, I know all too well that I am going to die. To date, no one has survived life.

:)

Location hidden

#494051 Feb 24, 2013
Seraphine wrote:
<quoted text>
Sora and I definetly would.
Of course you would..Right?
Who wouldn't welcome- anyone- everyone?
Gay Christian, non Christian, Christian..etc..

Location hidden

#494052 Feb 24, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Seraphine.
It is a truth that the words we speak are not new, and all through time, that which is Divine – has been a part of mankind... passing on God's Wisdom to the new generations. We live in a time with more urgency to share this. That... is the easy part.
We can foster love, peace, compassion, tolerance and respect for human beings everywhere... but when it comes to rescue work, none are asked what their belief system is. It would be like taking the hand of a drowning child and letting them go...' just because'! Or hearing another under the rubble of an earthquake... and turning a deaf ear.
At such a time of so many world wide disasters along with those man made... it would be a vacation for a peace warrior to comfortably settle down and live in such harmony. But the work goes on... where the children's cries are the loudest... and we can only pray that once rescued, they too will know True Peace. The Peace that passes all understanding...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sjulzGRgsXsXX
Justice
This also is our Cause!
God Bless you both in your work. You wrote you had just begun...
Greetings to you both!
Bonsoir, I meant to say amie, forgive me cher. I apologize.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#494053 Feb 24, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Some men don't need the props, though it is nice to know they are there.
Evenin captain-Just keep in mind only sharing is all.I never been one to demand or tell any man how to do the walk thru life.But then I not the keepable type either just to free in the heart.But will share with you have beautiful snow falling here and tempt is going to be a low of 16 tonight.Expecting eight inches to hit the ground and make a winter wonderland around here.Hope handsome jibber is doin grand.That bird of yours hold a special place with this critter lover.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#494054 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hunter gatherers built elaborate structures, actually.....
Gobekli Tepe for example. It puts all of prehistory in question. A 12,000 year old 'ritual' complex built by hunter gatherers prior to the invention of agriculture and animal domestication.

It questions the long held academic doctrine that religion and agriculture were the prime movers of civilization.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeo...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#494055 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
How am I being bigoted to dismiss your fantasies? Could you please read up on the word bigot, just to get it straight in your mind.
Just to clarify: your contention is that early civilizations collapsed because of nuclear war? And you believe that if I cannot provide you with exact details of their collapse then your hypothesis is supported?
And you are calling me a fundy here? The logic you are invoking is that of the dogmatic.
No it's not. I simply wish that ALL the evidence be examined objectively.
You are putting words in my mouth.
The nuclear evidence is just a part of it all. One that is entirely possible. It is planet wide...some can and has been explained...but not conclusively. That is why it is still a haunting question.

Git over yerself yer honor!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#494056 Feb 24, 2013
Sora wrote:
Bonsoir Monsieur, yes of course I am familiar with him and his philosphy. Yes, ideologies must adapt to survive and my Christian Humanism contains elements of many different teachings I am also very strong on inter-faith and dialogue, something that Christian fundamentalists shun which is why I believe they shall go extinct. Religions and people who push their weight around are bullies. Jesus was no bully so why have so many Christians become bullies?
Good question. I may try to answer it at another time. It's quite complex. It would only be my opinion though.
Sora wrote:
It is an epidemic that must change. Seraphine and I are masters of Aikido so yes water is the best strategy. I believe in pacifism and non-violence but I also believe in self-defense we were drawn to Aikido for its philosophy of spherical movement and redirection of the opponent's energy we learned it in Kyoto, Japan years ago under the same Sensei. She was barely five feet tall and a Shintoist.
I know quite a bit about Japan, though I've never been. I want to learn to speak Japanese. I watch anime, a lot. I really like Japanese culture.

Have you talked to Hidingfromyou? If I remember correctly, she knows Aikido.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Nohweh 110,803
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min PRES DONALD TRUMP 675,933
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 52 min Voyeur 184,777
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 57 min Voyeur 39,232
Taking my kids 1 hr advicemama 1
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr NotSoDivineMsM 288
Hell Angels motor cycle group (Jul '11) 3 hr Luscious 107
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 hr waaaasuuuup brother 982,119
More from around the web