Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#493521 Feb 24, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>You explain enculturation clearly, but totally Wrong when it come to making a connection between someone making Jesus Christ they personal lord and savior and blaming enculturation for that.
There is no true [religion], that like saying there is one true political party or one true country, that is your obvious ignorance talking. But there is a one true God YHWH, and only through Jesus Christ can a person get to Him.
And that no have anything whatsoever to do with enculturation, you're mis-informed.
I'm not blaming an imagined being. I'm blaming you. You, for all kinds of reasons already discussed, seriously act as if an imagined being was real.

It's not. It's imaginary. Once you accept that, my explanation will make a lot more sense to you. Since you cannot accept that, you're incapable of understanding other peoples in other religions and their spiritual experience. You will forever not understand them because you privilege your experiences and mistakenly believe they describe reality for all humans.

They don't.

Some stable somewhere

#493522 Feb 24, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>And what speech will you have prepared when you stand in judgement before that "mythology"?
Only a Christian believer could ask such a question. It's only real for people like you.

I don't worry about it. It's not real for me.

And it won't be real for any of us as we cease to function when our bodies die.

Some stable somewhere

#493523 Feb 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<
.. HFY tries to appeal to evidence through logical argument. She is trained as an anthropologist, skilled in understanding and comparing cultures, armed with knowledge about widespread diversity. She excels in biology, genetics and evolutionary theory ..
.. despite all her knowledge, all her posts, again and again, from a myriad of angles, some Christians maintain their antagonistic attitude about evolution and homosexuality only by systematically ignoring the evidence she presents ..
.. the harsh condemnation of homosexuality and rejection of evolution is not a reasonable or coherent position ..
AGAIN:
"When the teaching of scripture conflicts with any other idea, the teaching of Scripture will be accepted as truth and the other idea will not be accepted as truth." J.R. McQuilkin, past president of Columbia International University.
<quoted text>
.. there it is! Another SKOM moment ..
.. I've already found common ground with some Christians on this thread ..
<quoted text>
.. because it's fun? Do you know if Satan has a surname ??..
<quoted text>
.. another SKOM moment ..
<quoted text>
.. is it ever too early to talk about sex? Oppps, maybe I should ask Catcher that question ..
<quoted text>
.. daily? Another SKOM moment, huh ??..
<quoted text>
.. still another SKOM moment. My original post had nothing to do with HFY ..
.. the state of affairs on this thread raises troubling questions about the place of religion in a pluralistic society. How do we decide what is good? Are some beliefs true, just because someone believes them, and everybody else's beliefs, therefore, false ??
.. if opinions conflict, how does society decide what is good? Through cold calculated logic, scientific evidence and compassion or some church's dogma ??..
.. is it late enough to talk about sex ??..
Thanks. I'm also disgusted by willfully ignorant people that do their best to become and remain stupid.

You can identify them by their lack of argument, their appeal to dogma, their "well I wrote it down so it must be true" statements. And, in Skom's case, his open dissembling.

It's all quite unbecoming.

Yes, we can talk about sex now :)

But...hey...why just talk???

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#493524 Feb 24, 2013
And exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
Romans 1:23

Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity that their bodies might be dishonored among them.
Romans 1:24

For exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the creator who is blessed forever.Amen.
Romans 1:25

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#493525 Feb 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/T0N0LORUMAROFEJGO/post 492536
<quoted text>
The above was posted to Dr. Shrink. I don't believe that he has ever seen those words before - or most other words for that matter. You probably made him fart.
Yet, the Doc still has more experience, wit, intelligence, education and humour than you.

It must really suck to be you Teddy.

If all secular 'Humanists' are like you, I might change mind mind about the Roman Empire running the world.

<smile>

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#493526 Feb 24, 2013
Do you think that people are "good" because of a religious book, or because of an absence of a religious book?

Do you think that people are "bad" because of a religious book, or because of an absence of a religious book?

I don't think a bible, or any holy tome has anything to do with that. Religious people will credit those states to a holy book, the deity contained in that book, or the lack of a deity, found within some book or belief.

Certainly.

People do "good" and "bad" things, daily. From all walks of life, all religions, beliefs or lack of any particular religion or belief or ideology. Be it a Hindu, Muslim, Christian, atheist, Jainist or Jew. Just pick some name, or make one up. There is no difference.

What would you take from that? If you think the actions of a person have anything to do with an actual god, either by influence directly or indirectly, gleaned from a story in a book "divinely inspired" by whatever god is being spoken of or believed in....

Then that must mean all of the gods are real, since many different people from many different deity and religious beliefs do "good" things every day, and "bad" things too. Every day. The same holds true of those without deity or religious beliefs as well, which, in those instances, speaks nothing about a deity, except to say a deity belief or religion does not impact anything at all.

Do you really think a "god" or deity has anything to do with anything?

Or, does that even by the most remote chance give you reason to think that there are people who do "good" things, and "bad" things, and that humans make decisions that their beliefs or lack of beliefs in a god have nothing to do with what they do or have done, and by following that reason or logic just a bit further indicates there are likely no gods at all?

That a belief in a god or an absence of a belief has no bearing on anything, and that the book is a prop, a device, used purely to illustrate that folly, or could be easily said to do so, and, appears to illustrate that concept quite well all across the world.

Just as the theist will credit human actions to a deity in a book, the atheist credits human actions to the person in you.

So, the book or the idea or the deity contained in that book, or myth, to state it clearly, really has nothing to do with it at all, though I'm sure you believe it does.

Please, if you feel that your belief in a deity or religion in a book - that you truly believe is real - prevents you from killing the world, or that it makes you moral or provides you with morality, and stops you from comitting all sorts of crimes and heinous acts against your fellow man and society, do not drop that belief.

You must need it, and if your belief prevents that, then keep believing. Please, keep that belief, because the world cannot afford you going off the deep end and losing your belief a deity provides your sanity.

Some stable somewhere

#493527 Feb 24, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant - a simple concept ,and one I find myself hammering to the overzealous brethren (concerning eschatology specifically)-'Reader/Audience Relevance', along with hermeneutics as a whole.
Take care...
Thank you!

Explaining that to these people is impossible - their minds are not self-reflexive.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
(...Edited to isolate text for comment...)
6. Your interpretation of the writing, that it describes nuclear war, is only possible because of your familiarity with nuclear war. If you could read the writing in its original tongue and understand its audience-targeted meaning, you'd realize something else entirely.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#493528 Feb 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
When I give my word I will say I am giving my word.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Ah, I see. And when you just write that you're going to so something, you're just pretending. Got it, thanks.
He might have had he fingers crossed.

Dim thinks that the word of a man is an actual word that has to be stated explicitly. He didn't give you his word. He just said that he'd do something. You had no right to assume that he meant it without his word.

He learned his values in church. What do you think?

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#493529 Feb 24, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.. Free thinkers who want everyone to think like they do and unbelievers who can talk about nothing else.
Bollocks.
Also, hi, good post as always :D
lol. you understand me. they already show they defeat by coming on the billboard. Christians did not go and seek out they billboard to bash secular humanism, but they come here to bash christianity.

is because they so obscenely insecure with they philosophy, they angry and belligerent out heck why Christians so secure in theirs.

and they here to rage and rail. you see they can't help it. they start out raving of the virtues and good of secular humanism, but look at them now, openly hypocritical, hateful, frustrated, defeated and angry.

I have to admit I enjoy it, because I know how evil they philosophy is, when they show it themselves, its like treasure.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#493530 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not blaming an imagined being. I'm blaming you. You, for all kinds of reasons already discussed, seriously act as if an imagined being was real.
It's not. It's imaginary. Once you accept that, my explanation will make a lot more sense to you. Since you cannot accept that, you're incapable of understanding other peoples in other religions and their spiritual experience. You will forever not understand them because you privilege your experiences and mistakenly believe they describe reality for all humans.
They don't.
you desperately with nervous fright hoping the God of Christianity is imagined.

how that working out for you so far? you here everyday writing fervently to prove your point not getting nowhere, so obviously that mindset not working out for you so well.

I understand people from other religion have spiritual experiences, those experiences just not in they best interest. the only spiritual experience in they best interest, is the spirit of YHWH God through Jesus Christ. Take off the blinders of secular humanism, and maybe you will understand that.

Location hidden

#493531 Feb 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to take out a glass eye once. She wasn't as humorous as other eyes, but she sure could focus. Nevertheless, she got was continually getting cross with me. I tried to patch things, but eventually I had to drop her.
When you're out looking to find you some pink eye to poke, do you find yourself drawn more to a bushy brow, or to the trimmed? How do you feel about pierced brows?
Have fun, but don't forget to wear a lens.

http://www.cryoflesh.com/shop/images/UV%20Spi...

If only it would fit in my wallet.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#493532 Feb 24, 2013
For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions;for their women exchanged the natural functions for that which is unnatural.
Romans 1:26

And in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another men with men commiting indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
Romans 1:27

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer God gave them over to a depraved mind to do those things which are not proper.
Romans 1:28

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#493533 Feb 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>**SNIPPED FOR SPACE**The power of organized religion needs to be reigned in. It needs to be tempered by the spiritual benefits it shares with humanity. There are good, moral Christians - some of them are leaders. Churches need to be made, through social reform, more like these people. They need, as does government, checks and balances. Reform.
We are not going to accept the rape of children. The harassment of women. The denigration of science to produce ignorant followers. We expect maturity. Time to grow up.
.. WOW !! If that doesn't define some churches, nothing will ..

.. when any group influences a political structure, we're in trouble Houston. Consider the Evangelical influence in Uganda or the human rights violations throughout Africa. Christians constantly point to Africa as the bright hope for Christianity's future. What future? Killing gays, burning witches or buying politicians? And, this is considered moral ??..

.. when people recognize the strength of the church as a social and political force and understand that the goal of many church leaders is to reshape the world into a society based on their belief system, the situation becomes serious ..

.. the agenda of some church leaders has significant consequences when applied to other matters such as the teaching of evolution in science classes, homosexuality or women's rights ..

.. your mission has always been to teach, it's your passion. It's untenable to insist that the bible is the literal, inerrant 'word of God' when there are obvious mistakes and contradictions. Some church leaders can creatively explain away most errors to congregants, insisting it's a matter of faith ..

.. as a scientist, your job is to enlighten, remind people that rabbits do not chew cud and the sun and moon can't stand still for an entire day ..

.. keep up the good work ..

Location hidden

#493534 Feb 24, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You might think that I am Bollocks but here is why some see me in the light that they do...
http://www.redletterchristians.org/fbi-report...
http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/...
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-cri...
By bias motivation
An analysis of data for victims of single-bias hate crime incidents showed that:
47.4 percent of the victims were targeted because of the offender’s bias against a race.
20.4 percent were targeted because of a bias against a particular sexual orientation.
19.2 percent were victimized because of a bias against a religious belief.
12.2 percent were victimized because of a bias against an ethnicity/national origin.
0.8 percent were targeted because of a bias against a disability.
The percentage of hate-crimes against gays have increased after passing of the hate crime bill. We have to ask ourselves why.
The percentages are fairly close between sexual orientation and religious bias. You have to remember a couple of things here. There are far more religious people than homosexuals thus making it more likely as individuals for gays to experience violence than a religious person.
Another thing that we have to keep in mind...religious bias includes not just Christians but people of all religions...including violence against atheist for the purpose of this study.
Religious bias
Of the 1,480 victims of an anti-religious hate crime:
63.2 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
12.5 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
5.7 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
4.4 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
3.4 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
0.3 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
10.5 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).
Sexual-orientation bias
Of the 1,572 victims targeted due to a sexual-orientation bias:
56.7 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-male homosexual bias.
29.6 percent were victims of an anti-homosexual bias.
11.1 percent were victims of an anti-female homosexual bias.
1.5 percent were victims of anti-bisexual bias.
1.2 percent were victims of an anti-heterosexual bias.
JL...I am not part of some group...I do not label myself as a humanist. I do not belong to any gay organization. I am just a mom trying to make this world a little better place for my son and others to live in. I feel just as strongly for others as I do the gay community. I spent several years working with kids that weren't given a chance. I try to advocate against discrimination toward the homeless...unwed mothers...etc etc.
I am out of room so I will have to answer the rest of your questions in another post...if the words will come.
Yeah. Well put.

Some stable somewhere

#493535 Feb 24, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Greetings, salutations, and shalowm, Senecus.
So you understand, the misunderstanding was on Hidingfromyou's part and not mine. I never said I believed that the ancient records mentioned any nuclear weapons, or a nuclear holocaust. I was only sharing how that the theorists that propose the possibilities make good arguments that I believe are worthy of consideration. They only propose that its possible and that if it were true, there'd be no evidence of it today, 10,000 later.
Ok, first, I thought I was dealing with Black Thunder.

Second, no, the people who present their ideas about the past are not presenting theories. They're not even presenting hypotheses. I believe I already explained what would be necessary for that.

Third, why would anyone take an uninformed contemporary idea about the past and compare it to real archaeology? That demonstrates an absolute lack of understanding about scientific standards. The people who claim "look at this writing that has been translated into modern English, doesn't it just sound like a nuclear war? Let's ignore all the other stuff in it and just concentrate on the imagery we want to be there" is not remotely comparable to the scientific rigor that goes into dig sites.

Archaeologists carefully map out their digs - in 3D. They map out depth, longitude and latitude. They take measurements of the soil as they go and carefully preserve artifacts from contemporary contamination. Every last detail is planned, prepared. That's nothing at all like the rubbish presented to me in this thread.

It's like you're claiming "I believe the universe was created by a unicorn because that's how I interpret this ancient writing" is comparable to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

Sorry. Not even close. There's a reason people like Black Thunder are ignored by anthropology departments - they have no meaningful claims or knowledge to add.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#493536 Feb 24, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Thinking about that scripture, why do you think it was written "Thou shalt not suffer?" Indeed, we can turn to our Bible for guidance, I do it all the time; but I have never had the urge to run off, find a witch and burn them to the stake.
In fact, perhaps, I have been called a witch and others may want to burn me. Cheers, for the advice, but nonetheless, you didn't teach me anything. Not surprising, really :)
You might want to if you saw a witch cut up a child and pull out the innards in order to put a curse on the mother, or for releasing demons upon people who are not liked by someone, for money and/or goods.

If you were a Roman or insane that is.

Even though I'm a Humanist just like Teddy now, cause she has inspired me, in my experience and studies, true followers of Jesus would not harm anyone, ones that do are pretending.

<3

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#493537 Feb 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
You have comprehension problems
ZOMFG!
Skombolis wrote:
I know you are right and it was a mistake to indulge it from the beginning.
[Light bulb flares and flickers over Dim's head, then quickly burns out, as Dim almost learns something]
Skombolis wrote:
If it was motivated by something genuine or civil it would be different but most of it is just hate of faith
The war with you was motivated by hate of slander. But you're not accountable for anything, are you? You had no part in that. You were just keeping it real.

And there's no reason to trouble your tiny head over it. You're not perfect, just (self-)forgiven.
Skombolis wrote:
I guess it is ok to bash the faith in public
Why wouldn't it be?
Skombolis wrote:
Do you want Christians nowhere near you talking about their faith or do you want to seek out Christians online and argue with them? It seems like you think tights apply only to you huh?
Neither. False dichotomy.

You still have no idea what we want. And you clearly never will. It isn't necessary that you do.

Some stable somewhere

#493538 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It felt like sex to me. Was my camera off target?
HFY is cool but it's a Chinese/Japanese thing. I'm afraid she'll occupy me.
For as long as my imagination holds out.
mike

AOL

#493539 Feb 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you know I don't agree with God not being necessary but by in large I agree with most of what you said. I also put a lot more stock in real life interaction and the ability to shake a man's hand and size him up. People like to pretend on the Internet quite a bit. And obviously anybody can claim anything they want. There are some people I do trust. Epi is one of them. But for the most part I think it can be rather foolish and naive not to be at least somewhat realistic of the potential problems that can come from trying to make too much out of anonymous interaction
Have a good one mike
Thanks

Location hidden

#493540 Feb 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes.His eternal powers and devine nature have been clearly seen being understood through what has been made so that they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20
For even though they knew God they did not honor Him as God or give thanks;but they became futile in their speculation and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:21
Professing to be wise they become fools.
Romans 1:22
11) I looked, and mine eye saw Jethro of Bodine. He was crouched and cowering, of great sorrow, and muttering; "why!, OH WHY?" Now, Granny, of stern measure and temper in a loud voice shouted "DAGNABBIT!" and sought to strike Jethro with a heavy iron skillet. 12)It was then Jed saw this, and spake these words; "Now boy, ya hadn'ta oughta gone and done that" - 3 Venetians 4:11-12 Parable of Lye Soap and The Cement Pond - NHE(New Hathaway Edition)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min bad bob 16,676
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Michael 683,841
Venting Against FAKE Americans 13 min mama pat 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 42 min trifecta1 983,125
Looking for girls to snapchat 1 hr butterfly10161964 2
Chinese are dishonest, greedy and cold-blooded. (Jan '14) 3 hr Urka Burka Figurka 41
Why McGregor -Mayweather 'fight' is a stupid scam 6 hr Doctor REALITY 1
More from around the web