Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#492748 Feb 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's a good question, and one that's been on my mind lately as well.
<quoted text>
Why not? Haven't we unbelievers been depicted in just those terms for centuries?
"The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." - Psalm 14
Not even one of us does a lick of good! But we're the bigots for objecting to such treatment. What comes 'round goes 'round. I am reminded of this:
This letter was sent to the principal's office at a Middle School inSafety Harbor, Florida, after the school sponsored a luncheon with door prizes for the elderly. This story is a credit to all humankind:
Dear Safety Harbor Middle School,
God blesses you for the beautiful radio I won at your recent senior citizen's luncheon. I am 84 years old and live at the Safety Harbor Assisted Home for the Aged. All of my family has passed away. I am all alone now and it's nice to know that someone is thinking of me. God bless you for your kindness to an old forgotten lady. My roommate is 95 and always had her own radio, but before I received one, she would never let me listen to hers, even when she was napping. The other day her radio fell off the night-stand and broke into a lot of pieces. It was awful and she was in tears. She asked if she could listen to mine, and I said f**k you. Life is good.
Sincerely, Edna
<quoted text>
I don't see any failing in you.
Besides, "Counter_Strike" sounds like Head_Desk anyway
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/201...
Awesome story about the dangers of maturity!

No kidding. I've taken a harder stance against the willfully ignorant today. Someone has to be the mirror.

:)
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#492749 Feb 23, 2013
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap... I've said it before,and I'm standing by my beliefs that Micheal Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats are such an awful team because God is PUNISHING Jordan for the way he did his wife,Juanita,and left her for that 'sweet 'lil' Mrs.Homewrecker'.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492750 Feb 23, 2013
The Christian church appears to be the only significant source of homophobia in the West. It's not originating with the news media, nor Hollywood, nor the government, nor the schools. It's the church. The church has defined that value for America, which makes people's lives more difficult and dangerous. It does so selfishly in order to promote itself, and as far as I can see, offers nothing of value in return to offset the huge societal burden it imposes. That's the definition of a societal parasite.
<quoted text>
You never thought of it that way? Really? I thought that I learned that from you. Glad I could help.
<quoted text>
That's the great responsibility that any institution that sits in the seat of determining societal values bears. The church has failed. It makes people worse.
<quoted text>
Absolutely. The great fictions of the church sustain it. It promotes itself as a source of love, wisdom, morality, and charity. Not, not, not and not. Instead, it promotes ignorance, fear, discrimination, self-loathing, alienation, nihilism, and a retained childlike state (psychological neoteny).
<quoted text>
Yes, yes and yes.
Those are humanist values. Education and freedom empower people, as do health and economic sufficiency. Fear, dependency, submission and ignorance - central values of the church - empower those that would exploit the fearful and ignorant.
"religion is an organizing feature of humans "tribes" or groups. It unites them in common understanding against an "evil" other."
That's you and I right now. That's the role we have been assigned. I think we can help fix that.
Hence wealthy nations' peoples are turning away from religion and embracing the way of the non-believer, if not outright atheism.

I don't believe religion will ever truly go - yet at best it will fall to a small minority in the future (assuming the continuation of education and free information).

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#492751 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher's credibility has never been an issue here. But you're quite fond of trashing your own.
PEACE
I already provided you with the post that shows I never said let alone gave my word that i would stop exposing bigots that attack the faith. So I am not concerned about my credibility as it has always been very good. You won't find any examples of me lying. Whether people like me or don't like me the thing they can't say is that I'm not honest. Although I am willing to say Catcher probably was simply mistaken.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. The secret is out. 2nd graders are smarter than me. I tried, oh, Buddha knows how I tried, to keep that a secret. Please don't tell anyone. It's quite embarrassing.
Pooh!!!
What? Don't you like my fingerpainting???
I am sure your finger paintings are very pretty

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492752 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
No, I don't think that all Christians are dangerous killers, but the ones in Afghanistan and Iraq tended to be, so that wouldn't be as good an idea as you think.
How about if instead of moving away from Christianity, we move it away from us?
How many of you have overtly encouraged my demise now? One of the pretty flowers in the Christian garden - Lil Whiskas, I believe - wanted me to meet a black bear. I have no idea what Dr. Shrink is trying to say most of the time, but I'm pretty sure that there were wishes for my violent demise in some of them as well.
And during that time, how many humanists have suggested anything like that to you Christians? None.
Don't any of you Christians think that we can do better than this? Just kidding. Of course you don't. To you, man is such a failure, right? So why should he even try to do better? Let us pray instead.
Don't forget all the smug promises of a hot tub in hell.

I was going to put a quip here, but it's sad that fear motivates them so.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492753 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
OK, and thanks for that.
It seems that you use the word "indoctrination" to mean learning overt doctrine that can be explicitly stated, such as "Jesus died for our sins," and "encultured" to mean things that are learned more subliminally, like for good girls to never experience an orgasm.
Well, maybe that last one isn't the best example, but I think you get my drift. Maybe a better example of subliminal learning would be grammar as understood by a five-year old, who, though never having heard of the parts of speech, knows the rules of syntax.
Is that correct?
I tend to use the words interchangeably.
Yes, that's how I was differentiating between them. The underlying structures are hard to change - who thinks deeply about the role of the sexes? Who wonders what thoughts we project onto newborns based on their sex? Or how far we "naturally" stand from another person? Those are tacit cultural constructions. The overt stuff is relatively easy to get rid of, but the underlying stuff - well, you only really notice it if you've lived in another culture and learned their language (or have had training or are simply exceptionally empathic and self-reflexive).

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492754 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
edit
rights not tights
It's ok, Skom. At this point, I'm just skipping your posts so no need to explain the grammatical errors.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492755 Feb 23, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging words....
Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.
Ephesians 4:2
K-Love
Good advice. Thanks.

:)

(I apologize for my failure here)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492756 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I am sure your finger paintings are very pretty
Nah. I'm about the worst painter in the world. Most children do better. Don't know why. 2-D has ever been a problem for me. I can do sculptures and pottery - my potter teacher calls me a 'tensai'- but not painting.

It's ok. I've come to accept that.

Location hidden

#492757 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
We aren't having a meaningful discussion here. It's because you're under the illusion that Jesus is a real deity, and that the Christian pantheon is the "one, true religion."
I don't think I can explain my position on enculturation any clearer than I did. But, hey, on the bright side, you're a perfect example.
Maybe you are allowing your bigotry to influence the discussion?

It is a shame your hatred of those of faith runs so deep that you can't even have a meaningful conversation with someone of faith because they believe in Christ

Do a little mental exercise just for fun

Read part of your post here to IANS

Hiding wrote

"Wow - wake up call! I never thought of it that way, but wow.
How true. Religion is organized stigma and hatred of the marginalized."

and then the next conversation you have with a Christian go into with even 1/100th of the same open-mindset to learning something and the possibility of being double wowed with a wake-up call to boot

It takes a combination of pride and ignorance to enter discussions assuming you can't learn anything because someone believes different than you. If nothing else it may at least help your bigotry by making an effort to find some common ground when talking to people of faith. Or I guess don't bother and stay on your tennis court and complain Christians don't leave you alone. But doing both just seems silly.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#492758 Feb 23, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Jesus died 2000 years ago!
AND..........was resurrected three days later.

Location hidden

#492759 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ok, Skom. At this point, I'm just skipping your posts so no need to explain the grammatical errors.
Your response indicates that isn't truthful

But I know the timing is no coincidence

You made a statement that was not true indicating you had answered me repeatedly and that I was stupid for not understanding you. I pointed out you did not answer me at all and posed a very relevant question to you whether someone is born gay or not. You claim they are yet also claim engaging in gay sex acts for sexual gratification doesn't make someone gay.

I guess your way of getting around answering is to suddenly claim you are no longer reading my posts despite replying that post and another one after it

If your own statements become so problematic for you that you have to run from them perhaps that should be some food for thought?
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#492761 Feb 23, 2013
WHY is it important for the Miami Heat to repeat as NBA Champions this year,in particular?? Mainly,to quiet the people saying that last year's Heat championship wasn't really REAL because it was a short season that had been tarnished by the player's union lockout. But let me say this: Even though I don't want to see the Heat against the Thunder in the Finals again,mainly because I think the Heat will trash them again,and I don't think I can stand the sight of seeing Durant crying again no more than I could take seeing Bosh on his knees like Saul of Tarsus being blinded by the Glory of the Lord Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus,after their stunning loss to the Mavericks the year before. But I truly believe that there's a BIG BRICK WALL that will be standing between the Heat and their return to the Finals this year:the INDIANA PACERS. And they know the Pacers are a REAL threat to send them on summer vaction EARLY. Just keepin' it REAL.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#492762 Feb 23, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> AND..........was resurrected three days later.
Well,what do you know,we do agree on that! How many times did you lose your salvation yesterday,'Bruh Man from the fiff flo'??
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#492763 Feb 23, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> AND..........was resurrected three days later.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#492764 Feb 23, 2013

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#492765 Feb 23, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
when will the purveyors of your failed philosophy Secular Humanism stand up against your atrocious and embarrassing behavior on the billboard?
Give them cause, and they will. Where is your argument? Do you have one?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#492766 Feb 23, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is time for "Christians to have a 'Christian Pride Parade!
They already do. They have a Christian Mardi Gras parade in Mississippi, New York has a Christian Youth Parade, Toronto has a Jesus in the City parade. There are more...google "Christian parades".

Don't forget about the Easter parades.

There are Christmas parades that have mainly religious themes.

Christians already attend Pride parades...most as protesters. Though there are those that attend to support.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492767 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you are allowing your bigotry to influence the discussion?
It is a shame your hatred of those of faith runs so deep that you can't even have a meaningful conversation with someone of faith because they believe in Christ
Do a little mental exercise just for fun
Read part of your post here to IANS
Hiding wrote
"Wow - wake up call! I never thought of it that way, but wow.
How true. Religion is organized stigma and hatred of the marginalized."
and then the next conversation you have with a Christian go into with even 1/100th of the same open-mindset to learning something and the possibility of being double wowed with a wake-up call to boot
It takes a combination of pride and ignorance to enter discussions assuming you can't learn anything because someone believes different than you. If nothing else it may at least help your bigotry by making an effort to find some common ground when talking to people of faith. Or I guess don't bother and stay on your tennis court and complain Christians don't leave you alone. But doing both just seems silly.
Bigotry is a difficult issue for you to grasp. I'm not displaying it by rejecting the purported reality of a believer of any religion.

The poster you refer to was engaged in a discussion with me about enculturation. That person subsequently acted as if their religion were real - and everyone else's were fiction.

What's the point in talking to someone like that? They quite clearly cannot understand anyone else's perspective - like you're displaying here.

For you, any critique of Christianity is bigotry. That prevents you from understanding anyone else's reality - any non-Christian point of view. And you call me a bigot for trying my best to explain how non-Christians are not like you.

You are so simple minded, it's incredible. Why are you this way? Did religion make you simple minded? If so, my gripe with your religion is justified.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#492768 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response indicates that isn't truthful
Nope. It was truthful at that point. And just now I read one of your posts in full - what a mistake. I just got my daily dose of simpleton.

Moving on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Bongo 817,574
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Christina La Vey 579,048
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 min Seentheotherside 1,971
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 7 min Tamizhan 5,922
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 14 min The_Box 9,239
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 42 min AN NFL FAN 121,450
Is it ever wrong to discriminate? 47 min Boom Boom Boom Bo... 2
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 54 min RiccardoFire 97,987
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 270,110
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 176,207
More from around the web