Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#492739 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Rather than rely on wild interpretation, I rely on evidence. It has nothing to do with dogma.
You have convinced yourself that nuclear weapons existed 10 000 years ago and are now searching for anything, no matter how remote, to back up your claims. You're even willing to read only certain passages in mythological books and ignore all the stuff that doesn't speak to your ideas.
Sorry, but that's much more like fundamentalism than my position of relying on evidence. Show me the craters. Show me the radioactive battlefields. Show me the infrastructure early agriculturalists used to build their centrifuges and nuclear power plants. Or their mine shafts and refining centers for the uranium.
Please...the entire premise is laughable.
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Now you are capable of reading my mind?
Uh...no. Were you joking the entire time? I've just been going off what you're writing. And it's pretty fantastic, in the literal sense of the word.
If you relied on evidence, then you would be conducting studies into those findings that are unearthed rather than trying to bury them in misinformation and ridicule.
No, it's not my area of research. Those areas have been researched by archaeologists - and, guess what, no nuclear wars happened when people were just learning how to grow wheat crops.
Most of what you refer to is and has been available for years.
You experts ignore it at all costs.
Why?
hahahha!

Yes. We experts cover up the evidence that you non-experts "know" exists because you've read stories on the Internet tell you it exists! Therefore it must! Because we all know that everything written on the Internet and in books is 150% true. Plus 100% and more!

Why, just last week I had to re-bury the Enterprize NCC 1701-D because, gosh, we just couldn't let that get out, could we? Then we'd have to disclose our secret dealings with the aliens and tell the general public about how we learned to build skyscrapers. No, nope. We can't have that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#492740 Feb 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
????
How's this:
" am not bigoted against gays. I detest their infection. "
You're such a fluckin bigot. You just don't know it.
Are you saying that Christianity is bigotry? That is essentially what it teaches after substituting "sin nature" for "infection." What is sin nature to a Christian but an infection of the human spirit with something evil, right?
Doctor REALITY

Conway, AR

#492741 Feb 23, 2013
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id... Yeah,but if Kobe's WRONG,I guess we'll see pictures of him on the bench 'peering' out at the world in disgust,from between his fingers again,and dropping 'F' bombs at NBA referees,huh??

Some stable somewhere

#492742 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No I didnt. Do your credibility a favor. And sorry so long as you defend bigots and so long as your friends defend bigots I will continue to point it out.I dont know what gave you the idea your friends would have impunity to spread their bigotry in here but some Christians will always fight it. I stand up for what is right. Dont you remember when you tried to use that against me as a sleazy tactic? What now you dont like it? Interesting but not surprising
Catcher's credibility has never been an issue here. But you're quite fond of trashing your own.

PEACE

Some stable somewhere

#492743 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Lol...wow....have someone smarter than you, like a 2nd grader, help you understand I was merely taking an equally bigoted position to help u see your own bigotry. I would never actually think like u. But if I did I would say like u did here please keep homosexuals out of schools and politics and I dont want to see their singalongs or gay pride parades. You may be a bigger bigot than ians. No wonder Catcher wanted me to stop. Thxs for showing ppl who you really are
Yeah. The secret is out. 2nd graders are smarter than me. I tried, oh, Buddha knows how I tried, to keep that a secret. Please don't tell anyone. It's quite embarrassing.

Pooh!!!

What? Don't you like my fingerpainting???

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#492744 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered you over and over. You're too stupid to understand. I can't help that. I tried.
Please link your reply to whether or not you would believe your husband that he was not gay if you caught him in a sexual act with another man

You not only didn't answer over and over but you didn't answer at all

I know you gave some explanation of why (I wish you hadn't used this example but I unfortunately have no choice but to repeat it) if a man was having oral sex with another man in prison it wouldn't mean he was gay

I am trying to understand if you are limiting that strange, strange statement to within prisons or if it would apply equally to regular society

Truthfully I can't imagine anyone else making the argument a man having oral sex with another man doesn't mean he is gay but if that's your argument and if it applies to society as well then you are actually arguing homosexual sex is a lifestyle choice and doesn't even necessarily have to do with orientation correct?

I am sorry but if guys can have oral sex with other guys and not be gay in your opinion I don't know how you argue someone is born gay. And especially if your are making this argument in general and not limiting it to prisons. I personally think you are dead wrong and while a lot of people are born gay, in some rare cases people can choose to be gay. But any time you want to actually answer my question regarding your husband or provide the link showing you already did then let me know.

Some stable somewhere

#492745 Feb 23, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>what?
a person no have a choice but to protect they own subjective realty, because no one on the earth is like them. that no obvious lady? what in the name of star trek you talking about? We can empathize with someone yes, but you can never fully experience another person subjective realty. and if you disagree, tell me how [you[ do that?
So let me ask you this, whats to prevent someone enculturated in say the amazon from trusting in Jesus Christ as they personal lord and savior and have access to YHWH God through Jesus.
Now I never say Christianity, that different thing, that religion. read carefully. on the basis of what you write in this writing, what's to stop someone enculturated in another culture making Jesus Christ they savior upon hearing or reading of the Gospels? tell me.
We aren't having a meaningful discussion here. It's because you're under the illusion that Jesus is a real deity, and that the Christian pantheon is the "one, true religion."

I don't think I can explain my position on enculturation any clearer than I did. But, hey, on the bright side, you're a perfect example.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#492746 Feb 23, 2013
Old School Granny wrote:
Good Morning Just Wondering,
You have chosen a very good topic, we definetely don't deserve His constant forgiveness do we.
River Spirit emailed me a beautiful picture the other day of Jesus carrying the cross to calvary, that picture is so moving, just the thought of where He was going and for what reasons.
I've been op Topix since the end of July and to read all the sacriligious postings of Jesus is sometimes nearly unbearable for me, it sure makes my heart wonder how Jesus Himself feels. To know that He gave His all only to be interpretted so vile and malicious by many.
Hopefully we can meet soon and enjoy a nice dinner and strengthen our friendship. Until then may God be with you and keep you in His tender loving care.
Lovingly Sister in Christ -- Granny
Sorry, Jesus died 2000 years ago!
Doctor REALITY

Conway, AR

#492747 Feb 23, 2013
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id... Mark Cuban has a history is saying stuff that get's him in trouble,and quite frankly,I think he thrives on it,and he knows when he's going to likely be fined for saying certain things,and he doesn't care. But I have to agree with him that Kobe's league-leading salary is a problem for the Lakers,a team that is doing awful under his self-centered leadership.

Some stable somewhere

#492748 Feb 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's a good question, and one that's been on my mind lately as well.
<quoted text>
Why not? Haven't we unbelievers been depicted in just those terms for centuries?
"The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." - Psalm 14
Not even one of us does a lick of good! But we're the bigots for objecting to such treatment. What comes 'round goes 'round. I am reminded of this:
This letter was sent to the principal's office at a Middle School inSafety Harbor, Florida, after the school sponsored a luncheon with door prizes for the elderly. This story is a credit to all humankind:
Dear Safety Harbor Middle School,
God blesses you for the beautiful radio I won at your recent senior citizen's luncheon. I am 84 years old and live at the Safety Harbor Assisted Home for the Aged. All of my family has passed away. I am all alone now and it's nice to know that someone is thinking of me. God bless you for your kindness to an old forgotten lady. My roommate is 95 and always had her own radio, but before I received one, she would never let me listen to hers, even when she was napping. The other day her radio fell off the night-stand and broke into a lot of pieces. It was awful and she was in tears. She asked if she could listen to mine, and I said f**k you. Life is good.
Sincerely, Edna
<quoted text>
I don't see any failing in you.
Besides, "Counter_Strike" sounds like Head_Desk anyway
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/201...
Awesome story about the dangers of maturity!

No kidding. I've taken a harder stance against the willfully ignorant today. Someone has to be the mirror.

:)
Doctor REALITY

Conway, AR

#492749 Feb 23, 2013
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap... I've said it before,and I'm standing by my beliefs that Micheal Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats are such an awful team because God is PUNISHING Jordan for the way he did his wife,Juanita,and left her for that 'sweet 'lil' Mrs.Homewrecker'.

Some stable somewhere

#492750 Feb 23, 2013
The Christian church appears to be the only significant source of homophobia in the West. It's not originating with the news media, nor Hollywood, nor the government, nor the schools. It's the church. The church has defined that value for America, which makes people's lives more difficult and dangerous. It does so selfishly in order to promote itself, and as far as I can see, offers nothing of value in return to offset the huge societal burden it imposes. That's the definition of a societal parasite.
<quoted text>
You never thought of it that way? Really? I thought that I learned that from you. Glad I could help.
<quoted text>
That's the great responsibility that any institution that sits in the seat of determining societal values bears. The church has failed. It makes people worse.
<quoted text>
Absolutely. The great fictions of the church sustain it. It promotes itself as a source of love, wisdom, morality, and charity. Not, not, not and not. Instead, it promotes ignorance, fear, discrimination, self-loathing, alienation, nihilism, and a retained childlike state (psychological neoteny).
<quoted text>
Yes, yes and yes.
Those are humanist values. Education and freedom empower people, as do health and economic sufficiency. Fear, dependency, submission and ignorance - central values of the church - empower those that would exploit the fearful and ignorant.
"religion is an organizing feature of humans "tribes" or groups. It unites them in common understanding against an "evil" other."
That's you and I right now. That's the role we have been assigned. I think we can help fix that.
Hence wealthy nations' peoples are turning away from religion and embracing the way of the non-believer, if not outright atheism.

I don't believe religion will ever truly go - yet at best it will fall to a small minority in the future (assuming the continuation of education and free information).

Location hidden

#492751 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher's credibility has never been an issue here. But you're quite fond of trashing your own.
PEACE
I already provided you with the post that shows I never said let alone gave my word that i would stop exposing bigots that attack the faith. So I am not concerned about my credibility as it has always been very good. You won't find any examples of me lying. Whether people like me or don't like me the thing they can't say is that I'm not honest. Although I am willing to say Catcher probably was simply mistaken.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. The secret is out. 2nd graders are smarter than me. I tried, oh, Buddha knows how I tried, to keep that a secret. Please don't tell anyone. It's quite embarrassing.
Pooh!!!
What? Don't you like my fingerpainting???
I am sure your finger paintings are very pretty

Some stable somewhere

#492752 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
No, I don't think that all Christians are dangerous killers, but the ones in Afghanistan and Iraq tended to be, so that wouldn't be as good an idea as you think.
How about if instead of moving away from Christianity, we move it away from us?
How many of you have overtly encouraged my demise now? One of the pretty flowers in the Christian garden - Lil Whiskas, I believe - wanted me to meet a black bear. I have no idea what Dr. Shrink is trying to say most of the time, but I'm pretty sure that there were wishes for my violent demise in some of them as well.
And during that time, how many humanists have suggested anything like that to you Christians? None.
Don't any of you Christians think that we can do better than this? Just kidding. Of course you don't. To you, man is such a failure, right? So why should he even try to do better? Let us pray instead.
Don't forget all the smug promises of a hot tub in hell.

I was going to put a quip here, but it's sad that fear motivates them so.

Some stable somewhere

#492753 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
OK, and thanks for that.
It seems that you use the word "indoctrination" to mean learning overt doctrine that can be explicitly stated, such as "Jesus died for our sins," and "encultured" to mean things that are learned more subliminally, like for good girls to never experience an orgasm.
Well, maybe that last one isn't the best example, but I think you get my drift. Maybe a better example of subliminal learning would be grammar as understood by a five-year old, who, though never having heard of the parts of speech, knows the rules of syntax.
Is that correct?
I tend to use the words interchangeably.
Yes, that's how I was differentiating between them. The underlying structures are hard to change - who thinks deeply about the role of the sexes? Who wonders what thoughts we project onto newborns based on their sex? Or how far we "naturally" stand from another person? Those are tacit cultural constructions. The overt stuff is relatively easy to get rid of, but the underlying stuff - well, you only really notice it if you've lived in another culture and learned their language (or have had training or are simply exceptionally empathic and self-reflexive).

Some stable somewhere

#492754 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
edit
rights not tights
It's ok, Skom. At this point, I'm just skipping your posts so no need to explain the grammatical errors.

Some stable somewhere

#492755 Feb 23, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging words....
Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.
Ephesians 4:2
K-Love
Good advice. Thanks.

:)

(I apologize for my failure here)

Some stable somewhere

#492756 Feb 23, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I am sure your finger paintings are very pretty
Nah. I'm about the worst painter in the world. Most children do better. Don't know why. 2-D has ever been a problem for me. I can do sculptures and pottery - my potter teacher calls me a 'tensai'- but not painting.

It's ok. I've come to accept that.

Location hidden

#492757 Feb 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
We aren't having a meaningful discussion here. It's because you're under the illusion that Jesus is a real deity, and that the Christian pantheon is the "one, true religion."
I don't think I can explain my position on enculturation any clearer than I did. But, hey, on the bright side, you're a perfect example.
Maybe you are allowing your bigotry to influence the discussion?

It is a shame your hatred of those of faith runs so deep that you can't even have a meaningful conversation with someone of faith because they believe in Christ

Do a little mental exercise just for fun

Read part of your post here to IANS

Hiding wrote

"Wow - wake up call! I never thought of it that way, but wow.
How true. Religion is organized stigma and hatred of the marginalized."

and then the next conversation you have with a Christian go into with even 1/100th of the same open-mindset to learning something and the possibility of being double wowed with a wake-up call to boot

It takes a combination of pride and ignorance to enter discussions assuming you can't learn anything because someone believes different than you. If nothing else it may at least help your bigotry by making an effort to find some common ground when talking to people of faith. Or I guess don't bother and stay on your tennis court and complain Christians don't leave you alone. But doing both just seems silly.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#492758 Feb 23, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Jesus died 2000 years ago!
AND..........was resurrected three days later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the REAL REASON Ron Goldman was stabbed...64 TI... (Aug '15) 2 min pearlofagirl 16
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min PELE78 56,218
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Seraphima 649,839
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 16 min WasteWater 2,297
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min YOUR FATHER LOVES... 972,397
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 23 min EBMWCS 500
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr DENG 39,054
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web