Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#492304 Feb 22, 2013
Serah wrote:
Do you pay tax?
Yes.
Serah wrote:
Who are you feeding?
Tonight, my bridge mentor and her husband. They will be meeting us here at my home for the first time in about forty minutes for wine and hors d'oeuvres, then it's off to the lake for dinner on me for the four of us.

This gal, a former school teacher, has a photographic memory and an encyclopedic knowledge of bridge. And she has adopted me as a student. She thinks I'm an apt pupil. Teachers like somebody who respects knowledge and who can learn.

She taught me two-over-one, forcing no trump, fourth suit forcing, new minor forcing, and Bergen raises. This month. And I will show her my gratitude - and her husband, her usual partner, as well. Treating teachers thusly is an ethic I acquired from my medical training and the Hippocratic oath:

"Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panacea and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant: To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but to no one else."

Oh, and she wears a cross around her neck. Notwithstanding Dim's and RiversideRedneck's protestations to the contrary, I really don't hate Christians as Christians. The Christians I dislike have earned it personally and individually for their behavior, not their faith.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#492305 Feb 22, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Failed flesh?
We outlive our vessels but that does not mean our vessel has failed! My experiences, and also experiences of many others that I have shared, indeed support your feeling of connectivity.
So, we agree on something then, along with our love of animals :)
Maybe IANS looks in the mirror & sees "failed flesh"..........

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#492306 Feb 22, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me give you an example:
A Christian will say something like "Jesus said "X"." then I ask "where did Jesus say 'X'?" and the reply is usually one of the following:
1. A verse where Jesus said "Y"
2. A verse where Paul said "X"
3. A Christian commentary/apologetic on how "Y" is actually "X"
4. An off-topic rambling response.
5. I am called a liar.
6. I am called an antichrist
7. I am told I deserve to be tortured for eternity
8. I am told that only "real Christians" can see the 'magic words' or some similar line of crap.
Do you really care that people are calling you names? I have been called plenty of names, myself, G, as you would probably recall, and yet I don't blame GOD, the Bible, or in fact, really care too much at all.

It is between each of us and GOD on how we perceive HIM; we are linked to HIM and HE knows our intentions, thoughts and purposes.

What does hurt though, is when one calls our deceased loved ones names ~ that is like a stab to the heart, if you ask me; but then again in saying that, my Sister, who was struck by the car and should have been killed when she was 2.5 years has been called shocking names all of her life. That hurts too.

But, her inner strength is amazing; this lady that should have died from her injuries recovered; she went on to walk when they said she would remain a 'vegetable' and now, she owns her own home and lives by herself, apart from 2 dogs.

She walks with her walker to the chemist and the shops for the elderly around her; and she also went out into the middle of the main road and picked up her dead doggy (quite a few years ago now) and carried that doggy back across the road to her home so he didn't get hit again, even though she knew he was dead.

Her Faith is astounding :)

#492307 Feb 22, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
In order for me to accept your "peer review" I would need proof that you are indeed a peer.
Sorry Sera, there are quite a few here of whom I take corrective criticism and even give credence to their insults.
You do not happen to be one of them.
I like you but you are now playing out of your league (IMHO).
G, you have told me many times what you think of me ~ and my life goes on. No need to apologise, we are who we are and happy with the result, or else we should be working on it to fix it.

#492308 Feb 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. my post was about balance ..
.. I understand what you are trying to say. When you become misty-eyed about Queen Puggy, read D&C 77, 1-4 ..
.. your spirit is gentle ..
Thank you HL; it is something that I am working on :)

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#492309 Feb 22, 2013
scaritual wrote: He apologized, and in a subsequent post became upset that I didn't accept the apology with class.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Dim is such a class act himself that he demands no less from others.
Well, when your method of argumentation is to paraphrase incorrectly the words of a person you are debating, and then argue against those Straw man constructs, then yeah, not a lot of class there, beyond the fallacious arguments. Then, when pressed to supply actual verbatim quotes,linking to what you did say -*a simple thing to do* and definitive - suddenly he declares that he's over it and it isn't worth pursuing<<<—> >>then throws out a bunch of red herring and other fallacious arguments or statements. That makes it frustrating, because it's accusation after straw man after red herring after (insert fallacious argument here).

But that has been the process or method within Christianity at large for centuries, and any voice that doesn't fall in line or submit itself to the "authority" of Christian doctrine must be depicted inaccurately, vilified, attacked and subdued - or eliminated.

Location hidden

#492310 Feb 22, 2013
It so happens that right now atheists are the focus of Christianity at large, and it really isn't only atheists, but it's anyone who; Considers they may not be a theist - a person who isn't the type of theist they approve of,- or the "IMMORAL ONES" - those people who don't fall into those broad categories mentioned above. As atheists know, atheists are all of the above, or we're often said to be the origin of those departures from Christianity.

About the only variation Christianity is willing to tolerate is an official "brand" of theism(the major theistic religions/beliefs) that Christianity has decided they approve or must get along with, due to "territoriality".
Agreed. That is a problem for us, although as a result of our growth and growing unwillingness to be defined that way by anybody, it will become a problem for the church.
Yeah, and it's happening pretty quick. People are abandoning "approved" Christianity, and while they still may say they are Christian, it's a "cobbled" together Christian, and the belief of each individual is so varied from one to the next it's began to resemble a purely and personal spiritual semi religious belief. That's good. That means the belief is retreating back into the conceptual mind, and that's where the belief(whatever it may be) has the most freedom and power for the individual.

Mainstream Christianity hates that.

That's what is losing the authority. It doesn't like the authority relegated to the individual. Individuality, in essence, is the biggest concern and perceived threat to the umbrella term of "Christianity". Often called the Church - Catholicism, Protestantism, and all of those differing denominations - "The Church".
On that basis alone, I feel that I have the right to describe that church in derogatory terms.
Agreed.
Of course, that makes me a bigot to these people. Double standard.
Yeah, because the conditioning is such that no matter what the observation is made in reference to the institution of Christianity, many see it personally directed at them, individually. Hive mind mentality.
Dim doesn't mind the hordes that come out of the woodwork to criticize my words in defense of him, just those who do the opposite. Double standard.
Well, yeah, I notice that he's trying to depict any atheist participating on this thread right now as a "Secular Humanist". Then he's attaching those people he's termed as "The Secular Humanists", to you, or, in some way or somehow following you. As if you speak for us all, since, we have taken the time to point out that the things you've been accused of are not accurate, or warranted, because you have been consistent in those positions you hold, that he thinks you're waffling around in.

Just for the record, I'm not a secular humanist, nor humanist.

I'm not a democrat, nor republican, liberal nor conservative etc... That doesn't mean I may not embrace a portion or principle within any of those, but it also means I don't embrace any as a whole.

Here's the thing; None of the people that he needs to attach to you are "Real Christians™".

Ain't that the way of the "Church"?

Yeah, it is.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#492311 Feb 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the KKK demeans black people, we must point this out because it is wrong.
Similarly, if a church demeans homosexuals, we must point this out because it is wrong.
This should be simple to understand.
And what exactly is YOUR definition of "demeaning homosexuals"?........is it the church standing on God's Word which condemns homosexuality?......is God himself who created all men and women himself a bigot or a racist?.........too bad your eyes are so blinded, God is going to see to it that his Word goes out and accomplishes either one or two things......... to either save or condemn, but it will accomplish one or the other.

And BTW, please stop comparing black people to homosexuals as I find that highly offensive.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#492312 Feb 22, 2013
Good evening everyone.

Location hidden

#492313 Feb 22, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
For anyone..........But seriously, if our eternal lives depend on this book and the christian God wants us in heaven, shouldnt it be a whole lot easier then that?
I know if I had friends I wanted to invite for dinner, I wouldn't make them cross the forest of darkness to get them there..........Jus sayin.........
If a perfect god created a perfect message for the beings it desired to perfectly worship it.

The perfect god would ensure the message was perfectly conveyed, since, according to the perfect stories, the perfect god desires all the beings that it desires to worship it, in deed and action, to worship it perfectly.

It wouldn't allow the message to be imperfectly understood. The perfect message would be perfectly clear.

It wouldn't allow the perfect message to be misunderstood, since the perfect god desires all beings to perfectly worship it based on the perfect message it provided, perfectly.

If there are multiple conflicting and divergent understandings and misunderstandings of the supposedly perfect message of the perfect god, then the message isn't the message of a perfect god, or there isn't a perfect god, since there has never been a perfectly understood message from a perfect god.

If this perfect god existed, I can't imagine it would allow its desires be thwarted by an imperfect trickster god that the perfect god created perfectly imperfect.

But, that is the case with most god mythologies. And that seems odd.

Since a perfect god can only create perfection, according to the allegedly perfect books, that the allegedly perfect god left for us to perfectly follow.

That are nowhere to be found.

#492314 Feb 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you, like Counter_Strike, call homosexuals perverts, or "pervies"?
No

#492315 Feb 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike CS, I don't judge people and call them perverts for their sexual orientation.
That is all.
Perhaps then, now that you have made your point of view very clear to all, you might be able to let the topic drop. Let us just be people...... that is all.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#492316 Feb 22, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone deserves some R & R >>>LAWEST<<< after hard work! How do you like best to relax?
I don't have to tell you how much I love music. I just have a problem with it these days... I believe I 'turned the other cheek' too often in Africa, and the result is permanent damage with no cure. I probly should regret doing so for the beatings my head has taken both physically and mentally... but there's something about Truth when God rules the airwaves!
Love always my Friend in His Peace and Love and trust you have a good and rested week-end coming up. I must have lost track of time 'last night/morning' with 'TUES', because I woke up and it was FRIDAY! Now THAT is worth a >>>smile<<<
It's 12 noon now...
Indeed ((((IRRIRA)))), you can pick up that spirit in whatever music you listen to if you are not careful, I personally hate the loud hip-hop rapping lyric's of today's youth, I much perfer the glorifying music of our Lord Jesus Christ, and I admit that I still like some of the old school R&B music of the 60's, 70's and some 80's that I grew up with, but try not to listen to that too often as it is best to soothe your soul with hymns and praises of Christ.

Hope you have a Blessed weekend my friend.

Location hidden

#492317 Feb 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Gays don't need to feel bad or make amends to people they have given aids to as their medical records are protected unless there is proof they did so knowingly which is almost impossible to prove
Oh, someone thought that was a negative implication towards gay people? I know I made it look like everyone by listing them in a group and gave an example something only a terrible person would do but I wasn't actually doing any of that. I am simply describing the law and the fact that I am sure some don't feel bad.
This is how IANS operates
Ugly from the other side isn't it?
That isn't another side, since, being homosexual or "gay", isn't a faith supported belief and doesn't adhere to any sort of doctrine - chosen, selected from, or otherwise.

All you've done is make a bad analogy.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#492318 Feb 22, 2013
@Scaritual...you keep saying things like you think I wanted an apology and that I got upset you didnt accept mine with class. What possible reason would there be for me to be upset? I barely know you and someone being classless in accepting an apology in a reflection on them. It makes no difference to me how you wish to come off. And even though you blamed your reaction to my earlier post and disregarded your original contact with me was argumentative I not only accepted your apology for what you called having a case of the ass and even said I understood how my post could have impacted your response. Yet despite that you want to keep making some issue out of it despite a corgial exchange after. That doesnt surprise me since it has become a pattern for some of you to display poor ethics in your zeal to rush to IANS defense. Again, a reflection on you not me. I am sure a pattern not lost on many in here

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#492319 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's why a lot of people have chosen to be gay, it's an easier choice.
Right, because being homosexual in this society is sooooooo much easier. I commend you for choosing the harder road. Can you ever forgive me for being a weak girl and taking the easy way?

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#492320 Feb 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but I can't tell when you're joking.
Can you tell when I'm joking?

Location hidden

#492321 Feb 22, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians get flack for saying anything. Christians get flack for saying nothing.
That's sort of the problem though, isn't it?

Christianity will say anything when it suits itself, and end up saying nothing when something really needs to be said.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#492322 Feb 22, 2013
Sora wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonsoir Monsieur, yes it is that but she fought and died for her beliefs there is no greater courage than this, how many of us here can say we can do the same? She knew that she was going to die when she was caught it was only a matter of when. However her death inspired others to do likewise and rise against evil and tyranny. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing.
Good evening monsieur Sora, how are you doing tonight?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#492323 Feb 22, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>And what exactly is YOUR definition of "demeaning homosexuals"?........is it the church standing on God's Word which condemns homosexuality?......is God himself who created all men and women himself a bigot or a racist?.........too bad your eyes are so blinded, God is going to see to it that his Word goes out and accomplishes either one or two things......... to either save or condemn, but it will accomplish one or the other.
And BTW, please stop comparing black people to homosexuals as I find that highly offensive.
Calling homosexuals perverts, or in CS's case, "pervies," is demeaning.

I can't respond to the rest of your post: I don't believe in a god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Aura Mytha 30,956
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Aerobatty 987,299
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Robert F 687,246
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min RADEKT 286,555
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,315
8.1 Earthquake Off the Coast of Mexico 4 hr Concerned 3
skype usernames for dirty skyping;) and usernam... (Aug '14) 8 hr Jack Pitan 9
More from around the web