Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#492129 Feb 22, 2013
Serah wrote:
Which Christians are you calling bastards? The Missionaries?
The ones killing people as witches, and any Missionaries whose action, or inaction, contributed to that behavior.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#492130 Feb 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"I would ask you re-read the post I quoted you from IANS and tell me in your opinion is that post indicative of someone who feels Christians are indoctrinated?"
I just read your post, which is indicative that you believe such a thing:
"I don't deny those who start in the faith from an early age are subject to at least some indoctrination."
I don't know if I have made this claim explicitly like you have or not, but I wouldn't argue with it. Nor have I ever contradicted it.
You also wrote, "That doesnt mean however when becoming adults they aren't capable of shaping their own beliefs and feelings that can be very different than what they were first taught."
It also doesn't mean that they are capable of doing that. A few toss it all out and break free.
If you remain a Christian, by definition, you cannot have shaken off all of your indoctrination. Just look at the word "indoctrination." It means doctrine coming in, as in doctrine being downloaded into your young and impressionable head. And millions of other heads, too.
Those of you that don't escape the religion seem to largely agree on many central theses of Christianity, such as the nihilism, pessism and misanthropy that characterizes Christian doctrine. That's the in-doctrine of indoctriantion, the most pessimistic aspects being embodied in its doctrine of man's ineluctable sin nature (i.e., its hamartiology), its doctrine of his need for rescue and his abject inability to help himself (soteriology), and its doctrine of apocalypse (eschatology).
Anyway, I still don't know what you claim I said before - what you think it meant - or what your problem with it is. You seem to be saying that all Christians are indoctrinated yourself.
This caught my eye b/c the poster you write to was replying to me. That clears everything up and I will await Skom's reply with the post of yours that has troubled him so.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Into this world we're thrown

#492131 Feb 22, 2013
Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
(((((((RIDER)))))))))) <3
Thank you for sharing this ! It made me cry happy tears.
~~~~~~~~~~
this one? Maybe not (c:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rkOGMqoILR8XX
Hi Debra.........

Cute....
:o)
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#492132 Feb 22, 2013
<quoted text>
... These are all examples of Christians killing other Christians.
If you genuinely think Christians are all dangerous killers maybe you should move to a peaceful country like Afghanistan or Iraq.

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#492133 Feb 22, 2013
How would that have helped the Jews? The Nazis were almost exclusively Christians. It didn't help anybody but Hitler.
In case you missed it, I reiterated my response to you, realizing that my initial statements might not have explained my position enough and figuring I left enough for you to exploit. And again, I was responding to the statement regarding Christians and courageousness. In any case, Christians wouldn't have committed such atrocities against anyone, regardless of race, so forth and so on. If Christians were present, Hitler would have never have had the opportunity to murder so many people. And this would have helped the Jew-ish people drastically.
And Christians are more than happy to kill other Christians. What were the Poles and Czechs that Hitler conquered?
You've no doubt heard of the American and English civil wars. How many times have the British and French fought, or either of them against the Dutch or Spanish? Or the Irish amongst themselves. These are all examples of Christians killing other Christians.
Incorrect. People that call themselves "Christians" are more than happy to kill one another. You've only given examples of one group that believe they're Christian warring against another group that believes they're Christian. Such hypocrisy says nothing against the bible or Christianity, but against the claimants alone.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#492134 Feb 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Obviously, I agree, although from the other side of the dispute. I also believe in drawing a line in the sand and taking a stand.
Of course, I am often called angry and militant for it, whereas the believer tends to call himself a "Christian soldier" girt in "the full armor of God" who has "come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"
(Smiles)

I can have respect for one who holds to a position unwaveringly, though I may disagree with said position.

Reminds me of something said to me as a boy trying out for a ball team. While playing in a lackadaisical fashion, had a team captain confront me with - "If you're going to play a position ..PLAY IT.. or let someone else who will..." (could translate 'or get off the team.').

Just curious, and if you don't feel comfortable answering I'll understand(though I do accept Tmail),in what denomination were you raise? I always like to ask of those who claim to be ex-Christian(and others who are and read, feel free)- kind of a survey (unscientific) I've been compiling.

You have a good day....

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#492135 Feb 22, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> We'll haft'a toast it there though! Gits real crusty, Y'know?! LOL!
Feathers ain't real dirty ...cept the mites!
I could spray forst though...
Aye. Pizza and beer isn't too shabby in this dark maelstrom called Topix. Leave some crumbs for the bige rats mate.

..and don't ferget da garlic bread Mr. Funder.

LOL x 8

Andrew (CS).

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#492136 Feb 22, 2013
Counter_Strike wrote:
This is wrong. Sexual intercourse with the same sex whether it be many times or on teh odd occasion is still homosexual.
No. You are entirely wrong here. Apparently you don't know history as well as you believe. Karl Maria Kertbeny invented the words homosexual, heterosexual, monosexual, heterogenit, and normalsexualitat to describe what he saw of sexual behaviour in the late 1800s.

The origin of the word "homosexuality" lies in German sexology and it specifically meant "one who has too much sex with the same sex."

You have a biased understanding of reality - it's religiously and culturally biased and you fail to realize this. You mistakenly believe that sexuality comes in homo and hetero and sometimes bi. That's just your culture's way of doing sex, sexual identity and sexuality. Other peoples in other times and cultures didn't and don't think about it as you do.

Hence, when I write to you, I know because of your limitations as a thinker, you will not understand what I write.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#492137 Feb 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. never stopped. You'll always be my cute little born-again Christian curmudgeon ..
<quoted text>
.. rarely watch TV ..
<quoted text>
.. sorry, except for a few programs, I find television rather boring. I do enjoy Survivors and a few PBS specials ..
.. what programs do you enjoy watching ??..
".. sorry, except for a few programs, I find television rather boring"

this may be why you're not as negative as some of the rest of us!:)

i can't say that i "enjoy" watching much of anything, but like most of america, i do it cuz it's available when there's nothing else to do. i'm getting so very tired of the tired scripts and acting that i'm actually watching much more sports these days than i ever thought i would be.

you handled my venting very graciously, thanks!

Location hidden

#492138 Feb 22, 2013
Serah wrote:
What about the rich robbing the poor? Don't you think it might be wise to mention they are Bastards for starving the poor in one of the richest countries in our one world world? Ah, what the heck, you probably don't see the starving - you are too busy looking for something else. Don't even know why I bothered replying, really :(
I haven't gone on a tirade against the inequities of human existence in quite some time.

The reason is, it is very complex and takes a long time to cover everything that I think is relevant.

I bring up the "witch" killings in Africa by Christians to illustrate the point that they are following a Biblical command. They probably believe they are doing the right thing when they burn a little kid to death. They don't know any better because they haven't had hundreds of years of humanist tempering.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#492139 Feb 22, 2013
Connie22 wrote:
Jesus loves you, because he died on the cross and sacrificed his life for yours!
hi Connie - i'm the self-appointed welcome-wagon of this site for (hot) people like you;)
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#492140 Feb 22, 2013
there are wolves within and sheep without, just look at this forum...

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#492141 Feb 22, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Because I address ten pounds of manure in a two pound post.
Same reason I am not responding to most of this assinine post of yours.
Judging by your recent responses and apparently, the pressures of Topix are too much for you to bear. I'll keep that mind when approaching you.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#492142 Feb 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Whats ur point? First you claim watching the tv show Criminal Minds proves women are the weaker sex. Even ignoring the sexism how is someone so insecure in their masculinity that they think watching a crime show is indicative of anything? Then you claim they showed the criminal more sympathy than they ever have in any other episode. How would you know that to compare unless you have seen them all? So apparently your wife must make u watch it every week dcespite you hating it and shes the weaker sex? sounds like she wears the pants in ur relationship! Lastly you completely misrepresented what happened in the show. And there have been some 'conversion camps' that have done some heinous things and the show was based on one in particular, it never indicated they r all like that. You seem like you are overcompensating. Your manhood is safe watching a tv show! LOL
my point was that the entire scenario was an exagerated & biased representation of any possible events and usually the serial perp gets the blame, but of course not in the case when they're 'gay' and when there was a 'christian' organization involved.

stereotypical hollywood brainwashing & hate propoganda at it's best!

“ Xue Rengui”

Khitan extraordinaire

#492143 Feb 22, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi Connie - i'm the self-appointed welcome-wagon of this site for (hot) people like you;)
Hey Waaasssuup! Are you really Jimmy Swaggart incognito?

;)

“ Xue Rengui”

Khitan extraordinaire

#492144 Feb 22, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Judging by your recent responses and apparently, the pressures of Topix are too much for you to bear. I'll keep that mind when approaching you.
Hello Brother, see you're back for a bit, wanted to extend 'Hellos' lest I miss you again. Can't 'live' on here as much as before:)

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#492146 Feb 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
"The spirit is serious as a heart beat or the blink of a eye.
God is not be mocked and His Book is not to be mocked either."
Why not? I thought God was bigger than that!!
Go on, let's hear it!!
Hmm...Interesting.

“ Xue Rengui”

Khitan extraordinaire

#492147 Feb 22, 2013
Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...Interesting.
Hello Andrew,

Cross paths occasionally here, just a shout and hope things are well on the home front...

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#492148 Feb 22, 2013
Senecus wrote:
Hello Brother, see you're back for a bit, wanted to extend 'Hellos' lest I miss you again. Can't 'live' on here as much as before:)
And a hearty greetings, salutations, and shalowm, to you, my Brother!

I was only gone briefly this time. I had a family member come to visit, from my great home-town of Boston! We had a lot to catch up on. In any case, it's good "seeing" you again, Brother. And I know what you mean by the inability to "live" in Topix. My time, now, is quite limited. But, I'll make due.

Until next time, Brother.

May the shalowm of our 'Elohiym remain with you and yours.

Location hidden

#492149 Feb 22, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Wow - wake up call! I never thought of it that way, but wow.
How true. Religion is organized stigma and hatred of the marginalized.
Religion organizes society and the people in it reflect society. There are two ways to take this. First, religion isn't corrupt, but it's practitioner are. That's the message so many Christian leaders give, but it seems like illusion. It seems like illusion because of the fiction required for religion, the imagined reality that so neatly covers up discrimination and social inequalities - thereby furthering, if not promoting, them.
Second, religion itself promotes stigma to further itself. This point combines my append above, plus a reification of religion. That's dangerous, since religion has no separate existence from humans - but what it is about social performance of rituals that so unites people to discriminate against others, if not openly hate them?
I think it can only be that what we call religion is an organizing feature of humans "tribes" or groups. It unites them in common understanding against an "evil" other. It is then subsequently used by the charismatic and elite to produce social hierarchy. If true, the only solution is education and legal freedoms that promote equality.
Bravo!

When I became a rational skeptic, I was alarmed to discover that not only was I opposed to religion, I was opposed to all forms of tribalism. I didn't even know what that was before. That was a big step for me. The next big step was learning about free will and responsibility. I had always, at least as far back as I can remember, been aware that other cultures had their own way of living, that worked for them, and was right for them. So knowing what it means to live a subjective existence is also really important.

(I have to give the seminar next month! HELP!!!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 1 min Your Ex 125
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 6 min ImFree2Choose 3,030
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 12 min ET Proxima 76
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Aura Mytha 974,734
Please send me nude pics humans 18 min ET Proxima 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 23 min Aura Mytha 70,878
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 29 min Johnny 5,015
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 37 min Michael 658,713
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 55 min onemale 282,986
More from around the web