Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#491907 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution doesn't stop public prayer, dude. In fact, it protects it.
It only prevents the government from establishing a national religion.
The U.S. Supreme Court is charged with interpreting the Constitution.

With regard to the First Amendment, you are incorrect.

The issue is whether there is government "entanglement" with religion.

Whether there is or isn't depends on the specific circumstances of a situation: school prayer, when, how and by whom; religious texts on public buildings; use of public school facilities for religious programs. These are just examples.

The bottom line is that there is no simple answer like the one you have given. It's a series of complex legal issues in an evolving world.

You are entitled to your personal view of how things should be, but you should stay tuned and maintain an open mind, willing to learn and understand.

Is it going to warm up around here, or what?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#491908 Feb 21, 2013
edit HFN....responding here for space. I agree people can be if not brainwashed at least influenced and desensitized. In fact I was just talking to someone saying I never thought Id be an adult saying video games are a bad influence but the games today are nothing like when I was a kid and I cant see how a kid spending 10 hrs a day beating women with bats and shooting people on the street isnt having a harmful desensitizing effect and creating a lack of empathy. I wasnt disagreeing that seeing a message driven home repeatedly on tv cant have an influence, I simply didnt understand how he was assigning gender roles to watching a crime show. But I hear what you are saying and agree probably in a lot of cases at least to an extent (T) PEACE

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#491909 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate?! You consider it hate that a 4 year old told another 4 year old about Jesus?
.. you know that's not what I meant ..

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#491910 Feb 21, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
For at least 2000 years. <smile>
Evening D, there is more truth behind that than you may know.
Doctor REALITY

North Little Rock, AR

#491911 Feb 21, 2013

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#491912 Feb 21, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Did you feel his unsolicied post to me today lined with sarcasm and insults was meant to foster good will?
I have read all the posts today, I think.

And that's precisely my point, good will is lacking.

That's why it made me feel bad that my attempt at lighthearted humor was used to further disharmony.

I won't pursue it further.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#491913 Feb 21, 2013
Connie22 wrote:
WOW, someone said I'm clueless, because I believe in why Jesus loves you and for he had died on the cross for you!! Thanks for whoever it was!
Hello Christian, welcome.

You are not clueless, there are a lot of unbelievers and some atheist on here, it looks like.

Some don't believe Jesus died for their Sins, but seem to like to talk about the Bible.

Glad to have you in here, I am quite new also, and don't get to come on a lot.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#491914 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe your son was sort of reverent for the image of Jesus.
That's not a bad thing, Jesus was a good man with good teachings.
Would you be upset at all if your son wanted to go to church or learn more about Jesus? Honestly, please.
hahaa...

No, Ar Ar. As a matter of fact I've mentioned we live in a religion saturated society.

If I wanted to keep my son away from Church, etc..., I'd have to eliminate all of his friends. So, no. When he visits a friend, say to spend the night or hang out, whatever, often on a Saturday, the next morning he will go and attend a church service with that friend.

He doesn't spend the night so much anymore. The age, you know.

But when he was about 10 I'm guessing. He came home(best friend lives down the road) walked in. I asked how his buddy was and all, the Dad, Mom etc... regular stuff, riding bikes, kids.

He up and says: "Hey, do they really think they're talking to someone when they're praying and all that at church? They think it's real?"

I said: "Yes they do, what do you think?"

He just smiled and sorta rolled his eyes. Wasn't mentioned again.

He soon after that, on his own, quit going on Saturday nights to sleep over - if there was gonna be church the next day. I didn't catch on or notice that at first, and then one day I overheard him asking his buddy if they were gonna be going to church tomorrow, and I guess his friend said they were, because he just said:

"Nah, I'll come over after you guys get out if you're gonna be there"
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#491915 Feb 21, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Sister Friend!
"Free will is what we were given...
it takes...
it gives...
it's everything...
As 'free' as the Truth which sets all free.
>>>HUGS<<< filled with Blessings, and Ja... even a smile when we can fall back on this one...
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
&#8213; Alan Greenspan
I trip up all the time!
But to try is at least to reach a goal.
LuvU2 PW
Hey PW,
I’m not sure what you are saying here. But I think it is akin to give peace a chance.:) I’m realizing this is not accomplishing much so if peace is the jest of it, maybe a little for peace (just being honest here) but a lot for the not liking to argue when nothing comes of it. I agree.

Thank you for the hug and blessings my sweet Sister and for being a calm voice in the storm.
Lots of hugs ((((Ira)))) and many Blessings to you.
HFN

Location hidden

#491916 Feb 21, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not worrying...
I just love you!
Take Care
:)....Glad u are here sister

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#491917 Feb 21, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Evening D, there is more truth behind that than you may know.
Agreed.

“Painters Find Beauty in Life ”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#491918 Feb 21, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Seraphine.
I agree.
Do you believe those to be human traits we are born with?
Or are these traits cultivated within somehow..
Ego apathy and pride..
Let's hope we aren't born w these.. but, who knows?
Bonsoir Le_Le I believe they are cultivated from within, I believe. They manifest themselves from within us and radiate out, therefore these sins are the most dangerous. They are the root of our human problems.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#491919 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the whole quote, you're taking it out of context.
He was trying to dispel any doubts that having "intelligence briefings" every morning could affect his leadership.
Remember that this is the time of the year when the president traditionally tells jokes, and this was one. He was playing the part for the day.
And that was a spin off of Lincoln:
“You may fool all of the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.”
But, as a typical atheist, cherry picking is one of your qualities.
"People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Location hidden

#491920 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why it made me feel bad that my attempt at lighthearted humor was used to further disharmony.
Honestly I was reading backwards and didnt even read the post it was in response to. If it was a post trying to infuse some light-heartedness that I can say in hindsight I wish I had picked a diff post

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#491921 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. Supreme Court is charged with interpreting the Constitution.
With regard to the First Amendment, you are incorrect.
The issue is whether there is government "entanglement" with religion.
Whether there is or isn't depends on the specific circumstances of a situation: school prayer, when, how and by whom; religious texts on public buildings; use of public school facilities for religious programs. These are just examples.
The bottom line is that there is no simple answer like the one you have given. It's a series of complex legal issues in an evolving world.
You are entitled to your personal view of how things should be, but you should stay tuned and maintain an open mind, willing to learn and understand.
Is it going to warm up around here, or what?
Woah....

RR stumped Catcher.

I'm praying for warm weather :)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#491922 Feb 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you know that's not what I meant ..
I'm sorry, that's how I took it.

What did you mean?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#491923 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No!

RR hereby commands you to keep making jokes!

So be it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#491924 Feb 21, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>hahaa...
No, Ar Ar. As a matter of fact I've mentioned we live in a religion saturated society.
If I wanted to keep my son away from Church, etc..., I'd have to eliminate all of his friends. So, no. When he visits a friend, say to spend the night or hang out, whatever, often on a Saturday, the next morning he will go and attend a church service with that friend.
He doesn't spend the night so much anymore. The age, you know.
But when he was about 10 I'm guessing. He came home(best friend lives down the road) walked in. I asked how his buddy was and all, the Dad, Mom etc... regular stuff, riding bikes, kids.
He up and says: "Hey, do they really think they're talking to someone when they're praying and all that at church? They think it's real?"
I said: "Yes they do, what do you think?"
He just smiled and sorta rolled his eyes. Wasn't mentioned again.
He soon after that, on his own, quit going on Saturday nights to sleep over - if there was gonna be church the next day. I didn't catch on or notice that at first, and then one day I overheard him asking his buddy if they were gonna be going to church tomorrow, and I guess his friend said they were, because he just said:
"Nah, I'll come over after you guys get out if you're gonna be there"
If that story is true, you are an awesome Papa!

I tip my hat to you, brother.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#491925 Feb 21, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I agree sister. Not only people can see his hate and bigotry and complete self-blindness but they can see those who rush to his aid either are not capable of seeing it or will hypocritically judge others while ignoring his actions that quite frankly are as hateful as anything I have seen on Topix as a bigot is a bigot. His occasional subtlety when it comes to this hate isnt fooling many.(T) PEACE
:)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#491926 Feb 21, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
RR will take that as your concession....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 min RiccardoFire 97,969
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 578,835
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min lightbeamrider 817,366
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 8 min WasteWater 5,682
News Sarah Palin going on 'Oprah' (Oct '09) 8 min lightbeamrider 706
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Pegasus 270,020
College No Longer School Of Higher Learning? 20 min Edthirty 3
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Clearwater 176,199
More from around the web