Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#491409 Feb 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a word to tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate your contribution.
Well, thank you sir! And, likewise.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491410 Feb 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a socioeconomic problem, complicated by stigma and hatred. That is exactly what we see in Africa, and to a lesser degree right here in the US. Until these problems are addressed, we will not overcome these deterrents to society.
No truer words.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#491411 Feb 20, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I don't see the pay-off for me here.
Are you married or have children ?

Sometimes the "pay off" isn't for ourselves.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#491412 Feb 20, 2013
scaritual wrote:
"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe—I believe what I believe is right."— G. W. Bush
"They misunderestimated me." -GWB

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#491413 Feb 20, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
He's right though - I need to stop being mean. For one thing, mean people suck!
You, mean?

How do think that makes the rest of us look?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491414 Feb 20, 2013
Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a smart man, but at times when things are boring he may try to get under your skin alittle bit. Most of the times he means no harm, but he will challenge you to think outside the box. Of course, like the rest of us, he also has his flaws and I'm sure they get the best of him too. I sense you will both move past teh misunderstandings and the ugliness.
Yup.
Ok, so you're not accomplished, but I don't believe you should be calling yourself a loser either.
Hang out with me for a weekend and find out the secret truth.
As well you should.
<quoted text>
What does it stop learning?
Dogmatic belief entails the ignoring of contradictory evidence. Dogmatic knowledge is commanded rather than researched.
What is 'it'?
If it were dogma, I would probably be inclined to agree with you, but it isn't dogma, at least that's not teh way I view what I understand to be true.
'it' was learning in that sentence. Here it is, with 'it' substituted:

"Hidingfromyou wrote:
Dogma destroys learning, provides misleading, easy answers for you rather than real knowledge."
What do you deem "real knowledge"? Not because you haven't seen or experienced something doesn't mean it isn't real.
Knowledge that is evidence based and subject to revision, provided new evidence comes to light. "real" was a poor word on my part. Perhaps non-subjective or something like "objective." Efficacious works in certain kinds of knowledge - medical knowledge based on evidence and evidence testing is more efficacious than dogmatic knowledge.

Dogma promotes ignorance by eliminating knowledge testing - and therefore eliminates the production of new and refined knowledge. Hence, good science isn't dogmatic - but bad scientists can be.
What are these illusions in what I believe? I don't think you understand. Don't you believe it is better you ask questions first rather than assume?
CS.
I don't know. I'm guessing that you believe personal experience equates to objective reality, since you have a religious belief system.

Perhaps you'd be better to answer that question, though. What are your illusions?
mike

AOL

#491415 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God doesn't use people.
Faith is like a muscle: It can be strengthened. It can be weak or it can be strong, depending on how much you use it.
God builds your faith using a very predictable pattern. If you understand it, you can cooperate with Him in developing greater faith.
The first thing God does to build your faith is give you a dream.
When God wants to work in your life, he always gives you a dream — about yourself, about what he wants you to do, about how he’s going to use your life to impact the world.
Thanks Riv.neck

I perfer to use my own imagination, once again you're making claims that can't be substantiated by anyone, or thing but your word only.

At this point, we're back where we started.

I understand a GOD will never show up, lets see if your dreams will saved the world.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#491416 Feb 20, 2013
@HIDING...I dont deny those who start in the faith from an early age are subjedt to at least some indoctrination. That doesnt mean however when becomming adults they arent capable of shaping their own beliefs and feelings that can be very different than what they were first taught. But thats neither here nor there as far as the particular topic at hand. I would ask you re-read the post I quoted you from IANS and tell me in your opinion is that post indicative of someone who feels Christians are indoctrinated?It talks about typical Christian thinking and thinking what they do because of how their church taught them and several other things that are basically Imo the definition and what the result of indoctrination would be. Do you agree?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#491417 Feb 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of Judaisma nd Christianity's assumptions about angels are based on sources outside of the Scriptures.
If you want to really get a dose of "angelic nonsense" investigate Christian or Judaic Kabbalah.
There is little in the Bible itself about angels. There are tons of babblings ...err.. doctrines from all Abrahanic religions available to choose from regarding anglels. From redifining words to total fabrications.
Thanks that a start for me.I gonna see what I can find out cause of the conversation I listen to today about this.I trying to figure out if this is a regilion of sorts.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#491418 Feb 20, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image 9 or any likeness 10 of anything 11 that is in heaven above or that is on the earth beneath or that is in the water below. 12 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, 13 for I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous 14 God, responding to 15 the transgression of fathers by dealing with children to the third and fourth generations 16 of those who reject me, 17 20:6 and showing covenant faithfulness 18 to a thousand generations 19 of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Exodus 20:4-5).
Here's a bunch of takes on that:
http://bible.cc/nahum/1-2.htm
God tells you to kill false prophets:
If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.(Zechariah 13:3 NAB)
God's not nice:
"The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt. In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.(Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)"
I don't know, dude, what more do you want? Your deity is evil.
That is the recounting of nuclear war and it's fallout, which was documented by the Sumerians...and in that very location...only the "old" account is even more specific.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#491419 Feb 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
I would have laughed if it wasn't so perfect an allegory.
I will have nightmares, not about witches.
Did you ever hear Kaitlin's story?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491420 Feb 20, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
1. True to an extent. I was a believer in Siddharta Gautama, until I started to question the atheistic beliefs of Buddhism and then it was not enough, there a huge void.
And where did that void come from? Why don't other Buddhists experience it?
2. Thanks for sharing what atheists and freethinkers think about sex and what japanese think about sin. <shrugs> But it still no have anything to do with you point that just because a person is encultered or raised in a in a culture they have to stay with they culture they whole life. Christinity is a Religion, a Western Religion. Hinduism is from the East, Islam Africa and the middle East.
But many from those cultures are Jesus followers. There are many Christians that are not Jesus followers. But they are many Hindus that are not Christians, but do follow Jesus. So your original point is off.
I must not have been clear. My point about enculturation was not to argue that, once encultured, people are incapable of change. My point is that people are encultured to perceive their worldview is objectively real and to fail to understand that a majority of the ways in which they interpret and experience the world are actually subjective and not objective.

My example of this was sexuality. Western culture divides it into homo/hetero (w/a nod to bi), but most cultures do not share in this division. Sex, gender and sexuality are deeply meaningful ways of centering identity in the West - they are less meaningful, and so more blurred, in other cultures.

Likewise, even atheists in Christian culture retain tacit, Christian ways of understanding the world around them. Hence, American atheists find discussions about the nature of the universe, it's origins, and so on interesting. Japanese atheists don't - but Japanese atheists will still perform religious rituals as a public display without caring about belief.
3. Agree the The Spirit of YHWH referenced by Jesus Christ is not objective. If it was objective, faith not necessary. And YHWH states Faith must be the prime ingredient in following Jesus. It does not need to be objective, all is needed is for the Jesus follower to subjectively experience YHWH Spirit. The Jesus follower should be primarily concerned with saving themselves, the Jesus follower cannot save anyone, nor was the Jesus follower instructed by Jesus to save anyone. That job belongs to YHWH God. And that fine you no think Jesus Christ is the only way to YHWH God. As I say that not up to the Jesus follower to make you believe, that not our business.
That's like a perfect sales pitch! What a lovely explanation - kind of like the psychic's "you have to believe for this to work" etc.
4. I no know if the experience of the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ has [evolved]. Actually the early church in Acts as read in the bible reveals they had a more substantive and more powerful experience with the Holy Spirit. I no think spiritual experience [evolved]. That like saying YHWH has evolved. And YHWH no change. People might think the bible outdated, but YHWH word still mean what it say. So I no agree with you [evolve] statement about all spiritual experiences.
You aren't using the definition of evolution I'm using, so we're not actually talking about the same thing here. You're more correctly talking about development - and there's nothing wrong with that. I was specifically talking about biological evolution and that would have nothing to do with Jesus Christ or the Holy spirit, but the underlying human experience of spirituality. Anyways, no worries. It's all good.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#491421 Feb 20, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Be glad to open the door for ya.What is the difference between a human angel and a angel human? I listen too ladies at the Grocery store today talk to me about this.Was way over my dumb head.Do you know anything about this.
Here is what they were talk'n 'bout LW.

http://www.merudi.net/cgi-bin/cl/index.pl...

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#491422 Feb 20, 2013
scaritual wrote:
That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. Did everyone get that?
"We're slashing prices...and other things...don't worry about it."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491423 Feb 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
True, HIV is only one of several auto-immune diseases.
No!

Oh...wait. Yup, you're right.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491424 Feb 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dragon, who is the Devil, or Satan, was bound to the Abyss for a thousand years, but now he is free to deceive nations, and gather forces, which will be as numerous as the grains of sand on the beach, and will bring forth a Dark Army, which may or may not include a unicorn cavalry. And there will be merchandising. Amen.
Christians...any Christians care to comment?!?

Tide!!!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491425 Feb 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo.
I am lucky I only got Hep C froma transfusion. It could have easily been AIDS.
The world is easier to face if you can put groups of people in neat little boxes. Realistically though, people don't fit in neat little boxes unless they are dead.
Geeses!!! I hope you're ok.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491426 Feb 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you married or have children ?
Sometimes the "pay off" isn't for ourselves.
I don't think that poster qualifies as my children.

But nope! And if I had either, I don't think my posting to him would actually benefit the kiddies or daddie.

The thing is, he keeps telling me to be nice to him so that I can get to know him. And he couches that in a bunch of insults. So...not really worth my time.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#491428 Feb 20, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
@HIDING...I dont deny those who start in the faith from an early age are subjedt to at least some indoctrination. That doesnt mean however when becomming adults they arent capable of shaping their own beliefs and feelings that can be very different than what they were first taught. But thats neither here nor there as far as the particular topic at hand. I would ask you re-read the post I quoted you from IANS and tell me in your opinion is that post indicative of someone who feels Christians are indoctrinated?It talks about typical Christian thinking and thinking what they do because of how their church taught them and several other things that are basically Imo the definition and what the result of indoctrination would be. Do you agree?
Skom...he didn't use the word indoctrination. He said you were taught by your religion. Given IANS meticulous nature and precise vocabulary, if he wanted to write "you are indoctrinated" he would have.

Given that he did not, in fact, use that word while you claim he did and base your opinion of his honesty on that interpretation, don't you think you'd better re-position your stance here? I mean, you're calling a man a liar based on your interpretation of his words rather than his actual words that are written down. I apologize, but that doesn't make him a liar. That makes your use of the word "liar" creative.

It's possible indoctrination isn't the wrong word here. From an atheists point of view, I see creationism as indoctrination. It's misleading, promoting of ignorance and dangerous when applied to medical science, destructive when applied to science.

And, so, would it bother you more if he wrote "Skom, you're indoctrinated"? I'm sure if we ask IANS "Hey, do you believe that Christians are indoctrinated?" He will answer.

Hey! IANS! Are Christians indoctrinated?
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#491429 Feb 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got that reversed.
<quoted text>
That's kind of my point, isn't it? He has forgiven himself.
<quoted text>
LOL.
So you say because he doesn’t care what you think he forgave his self. Where you got that from I don’t know.

My point is more like he isn’t asking you for forgiveness or permission. He doesn’t have to please you. None of us do nor do we have to worry about what you like or don’t like. After all you are doing to us what you complain about us doing. Most of what I have read from you is you claiming things are that aren’t. Get over yourself and realize that others are not as interested in your having thing be your way like you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Clearwater 855,466
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 54 min God Blessed Holy ... 444,357
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Just Think 596,520
Poll Which is the Best SAP ABAP institute in hyderab... (Nov '12) 1 hr Surendra varma 38
"What's UP wit all dat 'ol BULLS - - T??!" 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 2 hr TITUS 7,339
The Christian Atheist debate 2 hr Edthirty 1,036
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Clearwater 177,212
More from around the web