Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#489117 Feb 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Thanks.
Dim has a horrible habit of substituting his own words and then using them to condemn others. A jab and a slam are very different ideas. There is an order of magnitude of intensity between a poke or a prod, and slamming something or somebody. Dim's thinking simply isn't nuanced enough to discern any distinction.
As you know, I simply got tired of him doing this with my words and asked him to stop. Instead, he redoubled his effort and began slandering me to boot. I don't know why anybody would sit for that. I sure didn't.
But being the Dimwit he is, he did it just as I was developing my argument about the shabbiness of his church's de facto doctrine of self-forgiveness, and stepped right up to the plate to offer himself as exhibit A.
I'm especially pleased that he did this on a principally Christian thread in front of his peers. I'm sure than many of them are unhappy with his choices, and the ammunition that he has given their church's detractors because he is too proud to admit his error or beg forgiveness.
Wile E Coyote, Super Genius.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#489118 Feb 16, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I really can't understand why all the discussion on whether or not people are gay. Let them get married; it is not up to us to say they cannot get married, it is between each of us and GOD how we are Judged.
And we have seen much of many judicial systems, and they fail continually. GOD said simply ~ Judge my people (and we are all HIS people until we are not HIS person) fairly, don't judge him on his wealth, power and accolades. Don't allow the rich to suck the judges in to give him the lighter sentence (I have heard it is due to the fact that they have paid for the lawyer that they often get the lighter fine - so again the poor man is punished for not having money to pay for the lawyer in the first place) and don't let the lawyers dance around like monkeys in a court acting out some wonderful role for the rich and guilty.
If people love each other, with their hearts, then it matter what not piece of paper man(kind) give them, it is what our hearts say when they link with GOD.
And the governments are failing and so are the Churches. And we knew this would happen because it is written in the Book of Revelation; and no real effort has been made to stop what was revealed.
Let us talk about how the gay suffer ~ I know much of that first hand, but let us leave their private sex lives out of it. Let us leave all of our private sex lives out of it; and if one wants/needs to joke about sex, at least make it funny and not seductively offensive or personally directed at individuals.
Cheers, I have probably offended a few people in here because of my feelings, but I really believe some things are very personal, and private, and respectfully deserve the same.
Peace to us all, and let us live to be happy :)
I wish more of the Christian posters here felt as you do.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#489119 Feb 16, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nWVc_jmuf7wXX
Visitors from Space
<quoted text>
I C U like peace 2! >>>BigSmile<< <
<quoted text>
@ Knowledge
@ Lil Whisper
There is more tp Space than meets the eye!
>>>BigSmile<< < 4 U 2!
<quoted text>
Yep sure is and what is amazing is the ones who think they have all the answers.
endtime

AOL

#489120 Feb 16, 2013

----#---- NEXT POPE is ANTICHRIST

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#489121 Feb 16, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I kind of think I'm a loser, to be honest.
Dont sell yourself short, you're very intelligent, funny and interesting, but above all that, a genuinely good person.......... Very refreshing to find on topix..........
mike

AOL

#489122 Feb 16, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion I don't think the homosexual chooses to be that way. I had a gay older cousin who at a young age (probably 6 or 7) remembers being attracted to a sailor in uniform.It had nothing to do with sex...just being attracted to him. He was brought up in a great upper class home...with a strong Father figure (My Uncle was a Policeman)...So I think he was born that way
WoW! what a strange thing to say. Coming from a professing christian who likes to prayers. The good book says not to practice "homosexuality", but yet you fix your face to imply maybe they don't choose to act that way?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#489123 Feb 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS just hates Christians. It's usually best if you don't pay much attention to his rantings, just laugh at them.
I don't hate anybody. I hate that church and its pernicious ideology that teaches people to scapegoat defenseless groups (not any more!), to shirk the duty to apologize or make amends, to distrust and reject science, to detest their own flesh and human nature, to feel like aliens in our common world, to remain stuck in a juvenile state characterized by fear, self-loathing and dependency, and so much more. Your religion is infantilizing. Look at the mess it has made right here on this thread.

I haven't even broached the infantilizing aspect of your religion on this thread yet. Let's take a peek at that:

INFANTILIZING RELIGION

Being childlike is esteemed in Christianity. The model for existence in Christianity is the child's perspective - the need for protection and comforting characteristic of childhood, but not mature adulthood.

The Christian is told that he’s born bad and needs constant guidance and supervision from a Heavenly Father figure, who is to be obeyed and not questioned. A related metaphor is that of the shepherd and his flock, mindless and helpless creatures needing to be watched and led. Jesus admonishes us to be childlike.

The psychology of Christianity perpetuates such subordination and dependency. It esteems unknowing and docility. It's authoritarian, paternalistic, superstitious, ritualistic, mythological, and promotes magical thinking. It encourages concrete and uncritical thought, obedience, fear of the boogie man, the rejection of reason, and a sense of being watched and judged and of being in trouble. Bad boy!

The Christian often fails to mature morally because he grows up with a baby sitter - a cosmic eye in the sky with a paddle of fire that is watching 24/7, always judging, and always tallying rewards and punishments. Would you expect a child to mature in that environment? How many have no clue why we unbelievers don’t go wilding and berserking if we think no baby sitter is watching, or no cop is in the rear view mirror?

Furthermore, the love of the god is infantile. Mature love is done for the sake of the object of love, and is giving. Love of god is done from fear and dependence, and is self-serving. What can you give a god other than your affection - the same as a baby.

And as the Dim and Dimetttes of this thread so beautifully exemplify, as a Christian, you don't need to accept responsibility for your behavior, just like an infant. When you hurt people, instead of going to them, you demand forgiveness from the ceiling fan, thinking that you have received it, then go on.

Consider this comment from Bishop John Spong: "The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up."

Sorry, but we can do much, much better than that. We should be emphasizing integrity, loyalty, justice, courage and compassion, not shame, fear, self-loathing, obedience and submission. We should all want that church to stop cranking out people trained thusly.

Look at your infantile appraisal of my message, encapulated in a dismissive and simplistic 'Aint hates us.'

So, no I don’t hate you. I see you as a victim. I don’t have much hope for you or your generation, but I’d like to see your grandchildren and their descendents get the chance to be better people than that vile church generates.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#489124 Feb 16, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
SP...the ironic aspect of your post...homosexuality was not brought to the forefront of this thread by a homosexual nor by anyone that supports them. If you look back over the history of this thread...most often it is brought up by the very posters that you are saying are against it.
There are some...that in their zeal to talk about sin...most often focus on homosexuality. Since this thread might be of a religious topic it is in actuality an opinion/discussion thread located on "Top Stories" on a secular medium called Topix it is open to any and all...just as the threads with a non-religious topic is open to all Christians.
If someone on this threads condemns any segment of society there is and will be someone to espouse the opposite view. It is common for debates/discussion to get heated. It is the way that works...nature of this game you might say.
One can not assume IMO that all that are against homosexuals for whatever reason are bigots. Most of us oppose something that is legal. Does that make us all bigots...no...just means that we don't agree.
Bigotry doesn't come in to play until one sets out to denigrate a group of people. When someone states, implies, infers that a group of people are less than themselves...that is bigotry.
You can figure out for yourself if your posts putting homosexuals and pedophiles in the same sentence as if they were synonymous was stating, implying, inferring that homosexuals are pedophiles. Others will form their own opinions about your intentions and form an opinion.
Sometimes it would behoove us all to put ourselves in another persons shoes and read our posts from their perspective.
You made a statement in one of your posts...
"Not all homosexuals are pedophiles I suppose" or maybe it went this way..."Not all pedophiles are homosexuals I suppose". Either version leaves the reader with the impression that you are undecided.
What if someone had said...
Not all Christians hate...I suppose.
Not all Christians are bigots...I suppose.
Not all heterosexual men rape women...I suppose.
Not all...not all...not all...I suppose.
Well written observations,as usual,Annie:)

Jump in a mud puddle, splash around a bit;)
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#489125 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
“Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
<quoted text>
I'm sure it is in every religion. What do you suppose the Scientologists teach about doubting L. Ron Hubbard? What do you suppose David Koresh taught about doubting him?
All religions are fakes!

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#489126 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Well thanks for you concern about Christianity. Why you no go and be concerned about your philosophy. I read this from a writer somewhere on topix, and I had to ask him to use it because the writings make some very good claims about your philosophy. some of the links might no work-but you will get the point.

Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the affirmation, but I already knew atheists are closed minded and don't believe in sin, neither moral nor natural.
Many persons seek refuge under the cloak of atheism when their carnal mores put themselves in opposition to moral guidelines. Then there are the simple minded followers that just want to find acceptance in life amongst the so-called "intellgentsia".
However, denying God by this delusion of atheism leads to a more serious problem of mental health. Of course, this would be the expected outcome when people make a terminal error in life decisions by taking a course different than that intented for mankind.
There is considerable amount of scientific evidence that suggest that theism is more conducive to mental and physical health than atheism.
( http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2001-rst/921.ht ...)
( http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/20 ...)
The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:
"In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes."
( http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2001-rst/921.ht ...)
Currently, there is an ongoing debate regarding whether atheism was a causal factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether it was caused strictly by disease.
( http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/hutchison/ ...)
( http://www.ukapologetics.net/truthaboutnietzs ...)
( http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/top/top19 )
( http://books.google.com/books ?)
( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17087793 ...)
"Trying to explain what caused his insanity can only be a matter of speculation. Some people believe it was the result of a physical illness. Others interpret his suffering as that of a true prophet, almost as if he were accepting the punishment on behalf of those who could not see mankind's tendency towards self-destruction so clearly. Still others regard his final fate as a natural outcome of his philosophical outlook."
( http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/top/top19 )
The Russian-born psychoanalyst and writer Lou Andreas-Salomé, who had a brief and tempestuous affair with Nietzsche, believed that Nietzsche's philosophy can be viewed as a reflection of his psychology and that his madness was the result of his philosophizing.
( http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Lou-Salome/dp ...)
In addition, the French historian René Girard asserted that Nietzsche's philosophy led to his insanity.
There are studies which indicate that atheism is a causal factor for suicides.
[[[[
Careful where you throw stone, when your philosophy is a glass house.

Christians no want you sympathy, Christians not no victim. Examine you own immoral philosophy and stop worrying about a religion that no ask for you help and no care what you think freethinker.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#489128 Feb 16, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>?
so you write this to agree with me that in Jesus view unbelief is the worse sin?
thanks I suppose [shrughs].
whoever that mike huben is, he no matter.
Jesus is dead for over 2000 years. There was never such thing like a sin!

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#489129 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
You don't need Jesus for that. All you've done is substituted one mind numbing drug for another.
Skombolis admits to being a convicted felon who had been to prison, something that I have never dangled in his face - something you and all regulars on this thread already know. That kind of person is typically drawn to your Jesus, and why preachers do better on Skid Row and Death Row, where guilt, failure and shame abound, than on Restaurant Row.
I've never even come close to killing myself with drugs, even without Jesus. Nor am I a felon, nor a hobo. Nor do I need self-forgiveness, nor anybody to tell me what to think, nor how to live. The Jesus crutch is of no value to me.
Hi Ians..
You DO realize that you are just as judgemental as the Christians who are judging you..right?? There isn't a whole lot of difference between you and believers except the aspect of God. Take God out of the picture for a minute and Its easy to realize that people are people regardless of their belief or lack of belief. None are any better or any worse. What kind of Doctor are you? Do you care what peoples beliefs are when you are examining them or whatever it is that you do as a doctor. Have you ever had a patient ask you if you believe in God? Would you work harder to save somebody if they were not a Christian? Just asking..But I do have a reason for wondering..Have a great day Ians.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#489130 Feb 16, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he doesn't. He has lots of Christian friends.
I might get this wrong, and IANS can correct me if so, but it's your religion and your religious leaders who lie to you that he's taken a stand against. I might be leaving out some things.
btw, RR, it's good to see you again :)
you talking foolishness.

Christians no need no religious leaders, Christians have the bible.

So stop with you fakeness and hypocrisy lady. Ultimately is what the Bile say that you have a problem with and the Christians that accept the bible as God divine inspired Word.

But you throw this nonsense about religious leaders. Religion is evil, Jesus Christ is salvation. Get a clue or stop elaborate on issues you know nothing about, your ignorance is quite glaringly atrocious.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#489131 Feb 16, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is dead for over 2000 years. There was never such thing like a sin!
thats what you desperately and nervously hoping. good luck.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Since: Mar 11

Mercury

#489132 Feb 16, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh...you're Nihon! Troubled us much in the past on the peninsula , yet during Joseon did not expect to confront the likes of Yi Soon Shin!
But I jest, hello HFY, pleasure,
I followed yours and Duane's dialog in the past, looks a bit like things broke down between Macro and Micro evolution. Not here to get between the debate, I would recuse myself as Duane is a personal friend.
But do have a question for you , from your professional standpoint. What do you see as transitional forms on a macro-evolutionary scale,aside from those attributed to the Homo genus?
Thanks in advance, kiwo tsukete kudasai
Sorry about the war. Entirely our fault, I wish you had entirely disposed of our then government.

Let me repeat: I have always valued Duane's comments about religion and Christianity, and his comments in general.

Where he and I have differed lies in evolution and anthropology. When I correct him on these fronts, he seems to get upset to the point of personally attacking me - though I'm starting to wonder if that interpretation is simply my insecurity; if so, then I attacked him unfairly.

As to your question: I'm an evolutionary anthropologist. I can't really answer your question, as you exclude humans from it. I'm not a paleontologist, zoologist, paleobotanist or whatever. I don't know the specifics of fields of study other than anthropology.

So if you don't mind, I'll answer in a vague sense.

All forms are transitional. Not a single fossil is not transitional between some previous fossil in the same species/genera and some future fossil. Evolution is dynamic, always happening, regardless of whether we can record it's happening (it happens to genes, remember).

We have fantastic fossil lineages for all kinds of transitions.

Perhaps better questions to ask are: what do these larger families mean? Where do we draw the line between species? What does it mean to be for a population to be in one clade while another similar population is in another? Who assigns the definition of "species"? Does nature? Does your deity? Who?

How and why do such things as "species" matter - or are they just another culturally constructed category because we don't fully understand how gene pools work over time?

If you can be more specific with regards to any particular transformation, I can answer your question more fully. The thing is, I specialize in human evolution - if you ask questions about human evolution in particular, then I can answer you in particular.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#489133 Feb 16, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>you talking foolishness.
Christians no need no religious leaders, Christians have the bible.
So stop with you fakeness and hypocrisy lady. Ultimately is what the Bile say that you have a problem with and the Christians that accept the bible as God divine inspired Word.
But you throw this nonsense about religious leaders. Religion is evil, Jesus Christ is salvation. Get a clue or stop elaborate on issues you know nothing about, your ignorance is quite glaringly atrocious.
That's nice. You have a religious belief. And, like every other believer on the planet, you "know" that you've discovered "the one, true god."

So what? Why would I take your personal experience for reality when you haven't demonstrated any of your claims at all?

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#489134 Feb 16, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont sell yourself short, you're very intelligent, funny and interesting, but above all that, a genuinely good person.......... Very refreshing to find on topix..........
<sniffle>

Damnit, I had all kinds of things I wanted to write but forgot them all - thank you, sir, thank you.

:)

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#489135 Feb 16, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Albert Einstein
"Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
:)
You are kind :)

Han Solo: I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#489136 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL. Good luck with that. Why should he apologize? He's not perfect - just self-forgiven.
I've been reading along with interest during this exchange, and it comes to mind that what you point out is something you and I and others have discussed at times - over on the atheist thread.

As a matter of fact, here's something I posted a while back and it speaks to this "state" seen in theism, and Christianity more specifically than most.

This relates to this mentality fostered within theism. The mentality that the believer is only responsible to the god(S) for whatever they do, whether in the name of the god, or not.

Ultimately, under most theistic beliefs you can only be good with the help of the perfect god, and bad because of the trickster gods help. According to believers, we are incapable of no more or less without the intervention of the god(S).

The perfect god(S) and trickster god(S) are given credit for what we do all by ourselves.

This is a flawed and escapist sort of reasoning used by theists. They are able to avoid being truly accountable to their fellow man, and, depending on the circumstance, will claim a type of immunity by divine authority or forgiveness by that divinity, or claim being manipulated by the evil agent, expecting sympathy and leniency due to either circumstance.

Some, even being so bold as to not need to be absolved on any material level since they've been forgiven by the perfect god, and have no need of mans involvement at all.

It negates morals, even those morals claimed by the theist to have been given by the particular deity. A person, whether practicing the religion "correctly", or, "incorrectly", can obtain absolution at all times. No matter the circumstance.

Ultimately, within that framework of skewed theistic moral view and responsibility, no one need ever know about crimes or transgressions. Those things can remain "dirty little secrets". That's not a good thing for a society. Or civilization.

That mentality is dangerous. It amounts to a person muttering under their breath a prayer of forgiveness to the ceiling fan whirring overhead and it's forgiven and forgotten. The ceiling fan will tell no one. The silence of the fan is its acknowledgement of your prayer.

Fortunately, the deity always says it's okay, always~/.

You are forgiven. Right?

Where is the morality in that type of system?

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#489137 Feb 16, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Due to my new academic position, I will be able to get my High School students 'dual entollment' with up to 12 college credits before they even have a H.S. diploma.
What was someone saying about our education system sucking because of bad eductors ?
You are a good teacher, and person, to care about your students thusly. So many teachers don't, it's upsetting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Doctor Justice_ 879,887
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 8 min ggnbot 577
Ask me a trivia question (Oct '08) 9 min Boondog 213,273
The Christian Atheist debate 14 min emperorjohn 3,909
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 25 min Sangollirayanna8958 1,867
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 26 min janeebee 8,249
Best way to play is taught at houston basketbal... 31 min hoopslessons 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr KayMarie 603,311
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 8 hr Moeflow5555 49
More from around the web