Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point Trifecta.
We are to HUMBLE ourselves..No Person is above another.
Maybe this will help, If they want to read it..
Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Hello there, thought I would say hi before I took off, just dropping in for awhile today. Have a Blessed day.

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Hell, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Who has called you a bigot?

Again, same as to Q, please brother don't trivialize the situation, in this case by jokingly calling yourself a bigot. Bigots in society are a huge problem. And there are some people within the faith that are bigots. To make it look like people are calling just anybody a bigot demeans the discrimination that goes on and is insulting to those victimized by it

Do you agree with the Wesboro Baptist Church that put a sign up that says "God hates fags"?

If not and if you understand the serious nature of the problem by some within the faith then this is not a joking a matter and people aren't being called bigots for stupid reasons
I don't agree with anything that church does.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, no substance...ok, want animation? Here's the future you yearn for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
**WARNING-GRAPHIC**
Yikes.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
What are black beauties?
Curious.. I am starting to think you do not have
Google in your part of the world. lol..

Topix- but no other way of finding info??
lol..

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Skombolis wrote:
Fair enough
Personally I think the ad-hominom stuff should be left out anyway. Although I do believe his feelings for IANS is motivating both his posts and coloring his judgements. Although I suppose I could have said that instead
My feelings for IANS provided about 10% or less of the motivation. It was so little that I didn't notice until just now when I thought to quantify it. They (feelings, in case you lost track) didn't and don't color my judgement at all. That part offends me.

Do you really think that I would corrupt my judgement to prop up a friend?

“Which "god"?”

Hell, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry but you are lying again

You said Christians believe they don't need to feel bad about who they hurt because they can ask the sky for forgiveness.

How is that anything but saying Christians don't have empathy and only care about who they hurt for self-serving reasons such as being forgiven?

You just lie and lie and lie some more don't you

Do I have to go search out that post as well? Because that is what you said
I love all this whining about Christians having no feelings coming from people who are here everyday writing horrible, hurtful, insulting posts to Christians. Some say only Christians are hypocrites, I think not.

“Which "god"?”

Hell, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>I understand AJ.....You have a very kind and Loving Heart

>>>H_U_G<<<
She can write some pretty hurtful things too.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

How does Christianity affect empathy in people? From my experience, there's no definite correlation.
So how could anyone make a blanket statement saying Christians don't have to feel bad or make amends to those they hurt because they can be forgiven?

And it wouldn't matter what you have seen in your experience unless one qualifies it as that, which IANS did not, and it would be something nobody could know without knowing the heart of others and knowing the hundreds of millions of Christians just in U.S. alone

It was a broad-brush implication that as long as someone is forgiven (which benefits them) they don't care about the actual damage. Christians who don't believe OSAS believe we still have to repent to receive forgiveness so that wouldn't even be correct since we can't receive forgiveness unless we sincerely repent and how can someone sincerely repent if they don't care about those they hurt. And even for OSAS believers he has no basis to make a universal claim

And his continued tactics of broad-brushing all Christians is one of the things i have been objecting to.

Sometimes the only difference between bigotry and not being bigoted is whether someone keeps their remarks specific to some individuals or labels an entire group

And nobody can make a blanket statement about Christians any more than they can about all Americans or any other group and more so proportionately with the size

As far as how Christianity affects empathy? In practice it absolutely should. We are supposed to feel convicted by Spirit when we sin. Do all Christians feel about about those they hurt or do some only care about forgiveness? I have no idea as I can't know their hearts

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Dim is short for Dimples.
Nah, I'm lying.
I'm calling you Dim to see how you react.
But truthfuly,
It's more of a reflection of who you are..
And how you react.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
LOL
Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with anything that church does.
I don't know much a bout it but these signs and what they have put on them has been a long-standing issue. I would guess I wouldn't be a fan of how they go about others things but don't know how a church like that could properly teach love thy neighbor in light of that

(T) Peace.

“Which "god"?”

Hell, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Someone is.

Skombolis wrote, "
If he said he believes there is a possibility creator gods exist but he would require proof and I repeat that back to him and he denies it because to agree at that point would give ground to a point i was making then that is a deliberate lie"

He didn't deny anything he actually said. He expressed his frustration at your continual failure to represent his words accurately. He never said you were completely off base. You change one word or add in something irrelevant and you create something all your own.

Providing quotes is good. Now when you misunderstand something and provide the quote, we'll know how to help you.

Skombolis wrote, "
I know you look up to IANS and maybe you see all his posts as works of art but I don't need to be IANS to repeat back what he said. And all he needs to do to be honest is not deny things he knows he said. Well...not all, but in this scenario anyway
You can try to spin it any way you like. It is what it is
"

IANS is a talented, insightful, and most of all, a considerate writer. He does not deny things he said. All you have to do is provide a direct quote or link. I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you, if you could muster an apology for your mistakes.

Who would know best what IANS means by IANS' words? I'm guessing that would be IANS. You don't get to decide what other people's words mean. You can assume, then call someone a liar based on that assumption. Then you can continue to hold to that assumption, even when someone who does understand corrects you. This is exactly what you have done. It's not spin.

If you could admit that you were wrong, would you apologize? What would it take to convince you that you were wrong?
A lot of people don't apologise for wrongly and hurtfully assuming the meaning of a post...

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello there, thought I would say hi before I took off, just dropping in for awhile today. Have a Blessed day.
Hi SP..How have you been? I haven't been around topix much lately..I hope you have a great and very blessed week. God Bless You

“Squirrel Shelter”

Since: Dec 06

Smalltown, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Hey Epi, Annie, Skom, Quinn, HFN, Irrira, and Deb. Just looking in, also, G_O_D, Senecus, Serah, and {LeLe and whoever I missed.

Got internet again for today and see the conversations are a bit different lately so will just read a bit.

Almost forgot, Annie. Got the link for the other place from Senecus. May stop in there one day.

Wishing you all a great evening, anyone seen LIT? The sqirrels are missing his weasels.

Peace and pancakes,{got some fresh maple syrup.

J_Dub

JW

“Which "god"?”

Hell, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Where's the quote, Dim?

You got it wrong, again.

This time, I'll paraphrase from memory.

Christians aren't required to feel bad about who they hurt, or make amends to them. The only ultimate requirement is to ask the Jesus to wash their sins away.

I have no doubt that my paraphrasing uses different words than what IANS said, but I think he would agree with my statement, and not with yours.

Skombolis wrote, "
How is that anything but saying Christians don't have empathy and only care about who they hurt for self-serving reasons such as being forgiven?"

Blah blah. Your Crayola version is flawed, Dim.

Skombolis wrote, "
You just lie and lie and lie some more don't you
Do I have to go search out that post as well? Because that is what you said"

Yes. Provide the quote, give us your interpretation, and wait for the actual meaning to be explained to you by the person who wrote the quote.

Then, after communication has been successfully completed, you can have a valid opinion, Dim.
Both versions of IANS' quotes say the same thing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an interesting site on the subject...
http://carm.org/bible-inspired
Thanks.

Inspired wouldn't be good enough for a god. West Side Story is inspired by Romeo and Juliet, The Flintstones were inspired by the Honeymooners, and Clapton's Crossroads was inspired by Robert Johnson's original version.

In each case, the pairs are so dissimilar that you might not have noticed that they were even related. That's how much latitude the word "inspired " allows.

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it so important for gay people to get approval from other people?....
On a similar note, why do so many theists want everyone to follow their religion ?

Are not we, as individuals, allowed to "got to Hell" if that is our choice ?

What if Orthodox Jews (or Muslims) were the majority of the population and were telling you that your eating a pork sandwich was "an abomination" and that God hated your eating habits and that you were going to Hell if you didn't stop eating pork ?" ?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
My feelings for IANS provided about 10% or less of the motivation. It was so little that I didn't notice until just now when I thought to quantify it. They (feelings, in case you lost track) didn't and don't color my judgement at all. That part offends me.
Do you really think that I would corrupt my judgement to prop up a friend?
There is a difference between corrupt and color

Do I think you would intentionally? Probably not although I don't know you well enough to say with a certainty. I do think you are seeing the situation through rose-colored glasses. If we have to know the mind of someone to properly comment on what they write and can't go by their words then there is little point of this forum

And when someone says "nope, not going to keep correcting you" in response to something they have said prior then it is what it is. Especially when it happens a lot and has happened with other posters. Is everybody incapable of understanding the written word?

Again, this is the basis

Skombolis wrote:
"You also said you don't rule out the possibility of a creator god (but would require proof)"

IANS responded
"Nope. I'm not going to continue to correct you any more."

If you want to keep arguing that isn't a denial then that is your right. But it is obvious to me.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, that's the subject of the hilarious letter to Dr. Laura, "Why can't I own Canadians?"
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
On another note, our strange English language:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting, I shed a tear.

19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Just Wondering wrote:
Hey Epi, Annie, Skom, Quinn, HFN, Irrira, and Deb. Just looking in, also, G_O_D, Senecus, Serah, and {LeLe and whoever I missed.
Got internet again for today and see the conversations are a bit different lately so will just read a bit.
Almost forgot, Annie. Got the link for the other place from Senecus. May stop in there one day.
Wishing you all a great evening, anyone seen LIT? The sqirrels are missing his weasels.
Peace and pancakes,{got some fresh maple syrup.
J_Dub
JW
JW!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 468,201 - 468,220 of596,737
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

653 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Sheilaa 110,224
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Dave Nelson 217,887
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min Toby 89,744
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 6 min lovewithin 38,050
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min OldJG 513,194
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Catcher1 682,438
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 11 min -USA-1 36,143
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Aura Mytha 250,647
•••
•••
•••