Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486477 Feb 10, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>It is not the gifts or "fruits" that one holds, but how one uses those "fruits" that determines one's legacy...the meaning of the "stored" wealth parable.
Amen <3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#486478 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm
He called me "dim" quite a few times
Hypocritical judging
Puts you in a bad light
Wish they would stop calling you "Dim"..
You are anything but, and they know this..

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#486479 Feb 10, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point Trifecta.
We are to HUMBLE ourselves..No Person is above another.
Maybe this will help, If they want to read it..
Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
funny you should reference these verses.

Because when I see another believer thinking they have the right to decide that another believer is not part of the body of Christ or that believer not up to they standards of a jesus follower, those [woes] to the pharisees you write about, that first thing come to my mind.

You get it. and you understand.

Excellence to you Grace.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#486480 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit; liitle IANS wannabe with bleach....I also never claimed to be quoting him on the lacking empathy part. I said several times based on his original statement that is what it infers or implies.
What is the minimum requirement for being a Christian? Whatever that is, people don't need to go beyond that to get the promised reward. They don't need to. They might feel like it, or not. Whether they do or not has nothing to do with whether they are a Christian or not. It depends on their cultural conditioning.
Skombolis wrote:
Would someone with empathy not care about those they hurt just because God forgave them? Looks like my 'crayola' reasoning works pretty well
They have the option to relieve their guilt by praying for forgiveness. If the shame dissipates after the prayer, there is much less motivation to seek forgiveness for those you have wronged.

To answer your question, yes. Someone with empathy can hurt someone and not care about it as long as they can get forgiveness from the authority figure they believe in. The perception of forgiveness from a god must be even more relieving than the forgiveness from a person, or at least it can be.

How does Christianity affect empathy in people? From my experience, there's no definite correlation.

Location hidden

#486481 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Hmmm
He called me "dim" quite a few times
Hypocritical judging
Puts you in a bad light
Dim is short for Dimples.

Nah, I'm lying.

I'm calling you Dim to see how you react.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#486482 Feb 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Thanks for that list!
IMHO one should accept them [abominations] all or reject them all.
Also, what exactly does "abomination to God" mean anyway ?
Are these guidelines or hard and fast rules.
For example:
How many Christian women are wearing pants ?
How many Christians are banking with other Christians ?
How many Christians have divorced and remarried ?
How many Christians commit adultery ?
The same arguement that Christianity has used to 'get around' those "abominations" could be used to 'get around' atheism and homosexuality.
Of course, that's the subject of the hilarious letter to Dr. Laura, "Why can't I own Canadians?"
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486483 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>riiiight

Skombolis wrote:
"You also said you don't rule out the possibility of a creator god (but would require proof)"

IANS responded
"Nope. I'm not going to continue to correct you any more."

Since that is exactly what he had said in a prior post and then denied it how is that not a lie?

And since he does this over and over again it is a pattern. Just like he claimed I paraphrased him all wrong when I said he wants to limit the church's influence on society and politics. And just like he told Juicy she paraphrases him all wrong when she said he believes all or most Christians have been indoctrinated and then went on to tell brother Lee Christians think how they do because of their church

But I assumed some would come running try to justify it
I've noticed they always tackle you as a group Skom. You must be so powerful ;)

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#486484 Feb 10, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like Q is a preacher..huh?
Yes - Amen.. Amen to the bs. he preaches on here.
Hi Le_Le..
He tries hard to be a preacher. If a preacher preaches more about "me, you, us,him or them and never lifts up the Name Jesus...He failed to preach the Gospel.. Read what Billy Graham's grandson has to say about his preaching..I love it..
SermonCentral: How can pastors evaluate their sermons to see if they're really preaching Jesus + nothing? What kind of litmus test can we take to make sure we get grace right in our preaching?
Tullian: The litmus test that I use for myself is that if people walk away from my sermons thinking more about what they need to do than what Jesus has already done, I’ve failed to preach the Gospel. The Gospel is the good news that Jesus has done for me what I could never do for myself. And a lot of preaching these days is “do more, try harder,” like you said. It’s behavior modification. We come to church expecting God to give us a to-do list or the preacher to give us a to-do list. As long as we are given a to-do list, we maintain some measure of control over our lives. Just tell me what to do.
This message of radical grace, that "it is finished," is difficult for the human heart, the sinful heart to grasp because we’re so afraid of control being wrestled out of our hands.
So my job at the end of every sermon—and this is the grid by which I preach—I preach God’s law, and then I preach God’s Gospel. Both are good. The law diagnoses my need and shows me that my best is never good enough. So I’m always trying to help our people realize that they’re a lot worse than they realize and they’re a lot more incapable than they think they are. But the good news is that God is more than capable, that He’s already done everything we need for Him to do. He’s already secured in Christ everything we long for. So my job at the end of every sermon is to, in some way, shape, or form, encourage our people by saying,“Cheer up. You’re a lot worse off than you think you are, but God’s grace is infinitely larger than you could have ever hoped or imagined. It is finished.”
And what I’ve discovered is that the people who lean on "it is finished" most are the ones who end up being the most free and whose lives change the most. It’s the people who constantly demand to-do lists and then preachers who capitulate to that demand and give them to-do lists, those are the people who get worse. I’ve realized, and I’m only 39 years old, but I’ve realized the more I try to get better, the worse I get. I’m just realizing I am a narcissist. I think way too much about how I’m doing, if I’m doing it right, have I confessed every sin. In other words, I’m thinking much more about me and what I need to do than Jesus and what He’s already done. And as a result, I’m not getting better. I’m getting worse.
I’ve come to the realization that when I stop obsessing over my need to improve, that is improvement. When I stop obsessing narcissistically over my need to get better, that is what the Bible means by getting better. That’s why Paul was able to say at the end of his life,“I’m the worst guy that I know, and the work of grace in my life is that I’m free to tell you that.” I think the whole notion of what it means to progress in the Christian life has been radically misunderstood. Progress in the Christian life is not "I’m getter better and better and better…" Progress in the Christian life is, "I’m growing in my realization of just how bad I am and growing in my appreciation of just how much Jesus has done for me."

Location hidden

#486485 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
LOL
Pass
Good call.

You might be the third...no... second sharpest crayon in the box.

Feel free to quote me on that any time you want.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#486486 Feb 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. why name specific churches when the problem is nearly universal? Do you think Rick Warren, Pope Benedict or Thomas Monson have no influence ??..
.. do you know Evangelists active in Uganda are responsible for inspiring the 'Kill The Gays" legislation by comparing homosexuality to pedophilia, buying politicians and influencing public policy? How many congregants see the big picture? Do you know what occurs behind the walls at Vatican City ??..
.. which is more important - starving children in Africa or one work of art ??..
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_Catholic_Chu...
"If just one painting (at the Vatican) was sold to a rich collector - one out of the countless thousands they have - and the money given to the poor, say, in Africa, the money raised would equal or surpass the total amount of aid given to Africa for the whole of Europe last year."
<quoted text>
.. yes. And, that's appreciated ..
<quoted text>
.. that's why naming churches is futile. You must look behind closed doors, the funding of twilight organizations, lawsuits ..
<quoted text>
.. what a church's mission is and, what the leaders say the mission is, are usually two different things ..
I understand your point and I am not trying to hold someone to what is tantamount to an impossible standard of proof such as listing all the individual churches so long as they acknowledge there are also many members and churches within sects that don't rise to the level of bigotry.

In 2007 there were 320,000 Christian churches officially listed in the United States

http://churchrelevance.com/qa-how-many-us-chu...

I just don't want to see anything broad-brushed

Yes the problem is wide-spread. But there are also many, many members who don't teach that way or believe in singling out sins

And I agree, just because someone doesn't include a bigoted agenda in their mission statement doesn't mean they don't teach one

But hopefully we are coming closer to common ground here on how we would define the problem. I would say far-reaching but definitely not universal

(T) Peace

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486487 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>This has nothing to do with being PC or winning a debate for the sake of winning it. These are people's lives being affected Q and rights being denied. This isn't like the use of an improper term. All due respect brother please don't trivialize my opinions by reducing them to nothing more than trying to be politically correct. I find it morally offensive for a society to withhold rights based on something that is legal because a particular religion says it is wrong and find that a dangerous precedent

Now does the Bible condemn homosexuality? Well it is mentioned one time in the NT by Paul under a list of sins of the flesh. It doesn't condemn it any more than..

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

..but I have never said it isn't considered a sin. So are 667 other sins.

Are any sins you commit less offensive in God's eyes in your opinion? And if not, how does someone who probably will admit to sinning every day target one particular sin (one he knows he will never commit because he has no interest to) instead of viewing all sins as equal?

Should anyone who lies be able to get married? What about someone who has already had a divorce? What about someone marrying for money like on a show "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire"?

Where is the sanctity of marriage in this country?

Someone could have said at one point legal marriage has always been between a white man and a white woman and allowing black people to marry is destroying the institution of marriage. Being black isn't illegal. Being gay isn't illegal. But some groups find being black to be an abomination and consider blacks to be animals. Why should the KKK not being to deny marriage based on race but Christianity should be able to deny it based on sin?

If this was a theocracy I might agree. Not in a secular democracy.

My argument isn't whether the bible says it is a sin. My argument is what does that have to do with someone's legal right to get married? What is a "sin" is for Christians. We can't force that on anyone just like we wouldn't want Muslims forcing Sharia law on us.

Homosexuality is not illegal. That should be the end of the conversation imo. Especially when civil rights are involved to the secular legal act of getting married. The church doesn't have to marry two people before God in a spiritual sense but society has no right to deny it imo
I agree. I also think it's not for us to judge.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#486488 Feb 10, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point Trifecta.
We are to HUMBLE ourselves..No Person is above another.
Maybe this will help, If they want to read it..
Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Hello there, thought I would say hi before I took off, just dropping in for awhile today. Have a Blessed day.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486489 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Who has called you a bigot?

Again, same as to Q, please brother don't trivialize the situation, in this case by jokingly calling yourself a bigot. Bigots in society are a huge problem. And there are some people within the faith that are bigots. To make it look like people are calling just anybody a bigot demeans the discrimination that goes on and is insulting to those victimized by it

Do you agree with the Wesboro Baptist Church that put a sign up that says "God hates fags"?

If not and if you understand the serious nature of the problem by some within the faith then this is not a joking a matter and people aren't being called bigots for stupid reasons
I don't agree with anything that church does.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#486490 Feb 10, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, no substance...ok, want animation? Here's the future you yearn for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BfJZ6nwxD38XX
**WARNING-GRAPHIC**
Yikes.

Location hidden

#486491 Feb 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
What are black beauties?
Curious.. I am starting to think you do not have
Google in your part of the world. lol..

Topix- but no other way of finding info??
lol..

Location hidden

#486492 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Fair enough
Personally I think the ad-hominom stuff should be left out anyway. Although I do believe his feelings for IANS is motivating both his posts and coloring his judgements. Although I suppose I could have said that instead
My feelings for IANS provided about 10% or less of the motivation. It was so little that I didn't notice until just now when I thought to quantify it. They (feelings, in case you lost track) didn't and don't color my judgement at all. That part offends me.

Do you really think that I would corrupt my judgement to prop up a friend?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486493 Feb 10, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry but you are lying again

You said Christians believe they don't need to feel bad about who they hurt because they can ask the sky for forgiveness.

How is that anything but saying Christians don't have empathy and only care about who they hurt for self-serving reasons such as being forgiven?

You just lie and lie and lie some more don't you

Do I have to go search out that post as well? Because that is what you said
I love all this whining about Christians having no feelings coming from people who are here everyday writing horrible, hurtful, insulting posts to Christians. Some say only Christians are hypocrites, I think not.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#486494 Feb 10, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>I understand AJ.....You have a very kind and Loving Heart

>>>H_U_G<<<
She can write some pretty hurtful things too.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#486495 Feb 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

How does Christianity affect empathy in people? From my experience, there's no definite correlation.
So how could anyone make a blanket statement saying Christians don't have to feel bad or make amends to those they hurt because they can be forgiven?

And it wouldn't matter what you have seen in your experience unless one qualifies it as that, which IANS did not, and it would be something nobody could know without knowing the heart of others and knowing the hundreds of millions of Christians just in U.S. alone

It was a broad-brush implication that as long as someone is forgiven (which benefits them) they don't care about the actual damage. Christians who don't believe OSAS believe we still have to repent to receive forgiveness so that wouldn't even be correct since we can't receive forgiveness unless we sincerely repent and how can someone sincerely repent if they don't care about those they hurt. And even for OSAS believers he has no basis to make a universal claim

And his continued tactics of broad-brushing all Christians is one of the things i have been objecting to.

Sometimes the only difference between bigotry and not being bigoted is whether someone keeps their remarks specific to some individuals or labels an entire group

And nobody can make a blanket statement about Christians any more than they can about all Americans or any other group and more so proportionately with the size

As far as how Christianity affects empathy? In practice it absolutely should. We are supposed to feel convicted by Spirit when we sin. Do all Christians feel about about those they hurt or do some only care about forgiveness? I have no idea as I can't know their hearts

Location hidden

#486496 Feb 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Dim is short for Dimples.
Nah, I'm lying.
I'm calling you Dim to see how you react.
But truthfuly,
It's more of a reflection of who you are..
And how you react.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr PadMark 673,073
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Sky Writer 31 184,617
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr Chris Rather 104,609
Obama Pays Muslim Brotherhood Yearly Membership... 7 hr Chris Rather 2
Do women think men with blue eyes are more attr... (Dec '08) 7 hr Chris Rather 98
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 8 hr Rider on the Storm 4,049
News Michael Jackson's doctor: 'I told the truth' (Aug '09) 9 hr Holy Child Jehova... 395
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 9 hr blkguylooking 471
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 hr Holy Child Jehova... 981,223
More from around the web