Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#485421 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Why wouldnt it be? It was my post and I said I didnt care so what would bother your conscience? Is it the deperate pretext you are searching for to start a fight where it doesnt look like you are once again feeling the practically involuntary need to rush to Ians defense when anybody makes an unflattering post about him that is bothering you? That I could understand. Read your last two posts to me over and see if even you believe there was any reason to make them
OMG

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#485422 Feb 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG
YMCA

Since: Jan 11

Waco, KY

#485423 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I agree there is a split between radical and mainstream. But then people being targeted would be those espousing radical ideas.
The ideas are being targeted. "Radical" and "mainstream" are subjective values. They won't mean the same to me as they will to you. I intend to target every idea that I think is faulty, whether those ideas are held by nice people or mean people, regardless of how those ideas are viewed by the religious.
Skombolis wrote:
There is no way to seperate the two as ideals dont exist on their own or have any impact unless someone is adhering to them.
How lost are you?

It is essential to separate ideas from the people that hold them if you want a civil discussion about those ideas. I'd rather it not get personal. I'd rather not invite prejudice. I'd rather stick to addressing the root of the problems as I see them, which are ideas.
Skombolis wrote:
I disagree you will ever see religion gone but what will happen imo is over the years it will work better in conjuction. Just like believers within the faith disassociate with radicals, ppl outside the faith are capable of distinguishing. It will result in a more loving church and thats a good thing but Jesus and those who believe in him arent going anywhere nor should they. Simply some of the extremist who hide behind the Bible and misuse it are being called on it. Thats good too. Less hypocrisy, more accountability, more love.
I never asserted that religion will be gone. Religiosity will lose majority status, and sociopolitical power in America. There will still be people who cling to religion for several generations at least.

Right now, mainstream Christians are still enabling the extremists simply by following the same book. The only difference between the extremists interpretation and the mainstream interpretation is cultural conditioning. African Christians are killing people as witches right now. They don't have the benefit of humanist tempering or secular law, like we have here. I think when people notice how much better Christianity is when you remove most of it, they'll realize that at base, it's just a myth created by ignorant superstitious bigots.

Expect a big rise in Deism too.

Since: Jan 11

Waco, KY

#485424 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Tide...btw all I wanted from Ians was essentially the same acknowledgement and hopefully the same distinction. That the people he would target are the radicals and he knows there is a diff between radical and mainstream.
Not people. Ideas.

Not people. Ideas.

There is absolutely no need to target radicals, even if you were targeting people. They are self sustaining billboards for anti-theism.
Skombolis wrote:
You cant shut anyone down for exercising their right to free speech but you can target them with your own. I really dont care who exposes hypocrite radicals such as preachers raging against homosexuality calling them abominations and then found having sex with young boys.Obviously an extreme example but people who promote hate are not promoting anything Christ taught.
Christ was just a mechanism for creating a slightly more palatable myth. I'm not saying, definitively, that the creators of Christianity knew they were doing that. Social movements often occur without intent or insight. They probably really did believe in the Jesus, but they would have believed in magic beans too.
Skombolis wrote:
Ppl have a right to feel however they do and for the most part to say it. What they cant do is say it in God's name if their words are not supported by his teachings.
Who's going to stop them?
Skombolis wrote:
And just as how maainstream disassociates with radical, many mainstream want the radical gone just as much. So it is fine to target ppl you disagree with. what someone cant do and be justified imo is to target by association
Well, I target ideas, and I don't care who holds them.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#485425 Feb 7, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LuAqOzeueFYXX
The 60's were chock full of singing nuns weren't they ?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#485426 Feb 8, 2013
karl44 wrote:
many christians express their desire to watch the torments of hell as entertainment. Such morality condemns the belief system, when other christians do not correct them, thus is condemned the church itself.
It's an ugly thing to witness.

[1] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

[2] "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones." - KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

[3] "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." - Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#485427 Feb 8, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
One of the best songs ever..........
I agree. The lyrics were just right for answering Lil Whispers lyrics.

Common ground. I'm glad we found some.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#485428 Feb 8, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Tide...btw all I wanted from Ians was essentially the same acknowledgement and hopefully the same distinction. That the people he would target are the radicals and he knows there is a diff between radical and mainstream. You cant shut anyone down for exercising their right to free speech but you can target them with your own. I really dont care who exposes hypocrite radicals such as preachers raging against homosexuality calling them abominations and then found having sex with young boys.Obviously an extreme example but people who promote hate are not promoting anything Christ taught. Ppl have a right to feel however they do and for the most part to say it. What they cant do is say it in God's name if their words are not supported by his teachings. And just as how maainstream disassociates with radical, many mainstream want the radical gone just as much. So it is fine to target ppl you disagree with. what someone cant do and be justified imo is to target by association
I agree entirely with this sentiment. And often here people make the distinction between fundies and ordinary Christians. Personally I cannot see the benefit in bursting the bubble of ordinary Christians. To me I think it can be harsh to say to people "what you believe is rubbish" when they may be getting consolation during loss of a loved one, or comfort during a difficult time in their life. However the wingnut fundie "God hates gays" evilution types are fair game imo.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#485429 Feb 8, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
..Expect a big rise in Deism too.
I think many Christians today (including ones here) already have interpretations which are closer to Deism than orthodox Christianity. For example the lack of belief in hell, miracles, angels, demons, etc. Cherry picking beliefs from the Bible or generally a less Bible centered view of their beliefs, in the knowledge of bible errors and contradictions. So that the belief system is more focused on giving people comfort and hope, rather than preaching salvation/damnation. Just my personal view on the current trends.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#485430 Feb 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
[1] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers
What is interesting is that some these batshit crazy types are themselves heretics, for one reason or another. So according to orthodox church teaching they will be suffering the torments of hell as well. But in their breath-taking arrogance, they they ASSUME that they will be saved.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#485432 Feb 8, 2013
Good

Morning~

“The vast possibilities of our great future
will become realities only
if we make ourselves responsible
for that future.”

~ Gifford Pinchot

Thought For The Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#485433 Feb 8, 2013
Today's Prayer

Oh, how I praise You Lord! You heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds. You count the number of the stars and call them all by name. Great are You, Lord, and mighty in power. Your understanding is infinite. You lift up the humble, and cast the wicked down to the ground. I praise you Lord, you who covers the heavens with clouds and prepares rain for the earth; you who makes grass to grow on mountains and gives food to beasts of the earth. Praise you Lord, the One whom I trust to heal my hurts and bind up my wounds...and provide my needs. Bless you, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Prime Time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#485434 Feb 8, 2013
Encouraging WOrds.....

But Lord, be merciful to us, for we have waited for you. Be our strong arm each day and our salvation in times of trouble.

Isaiah 33:2

K-Love

“John 3:seventeen”

Since: Feb 07

God BELIEVES in YOU~

#485436 Feb 8, 2013
~ H A P P Y ~ B I R T H D A Y ~

~^~^~^~ to ~^~^~^~

((((((Drew))))))!!!

Love,Deb~

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#485437 Feb 8, 2013
^^^I'll join in to wish Drew a Happy Birthday Also!!^^^

H_A_P_P_Y

B_I_R_T_H_D_A_Y

D_R_E_W.....

:-)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#485438 Feb 8, 2013
To Mike.....

No...It doesn't matter what I say...What matters is if GOD is glorified...

John 3:30 &#9658;

He must become greater; I must become less.

Bye Everyone!!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#485439 Feb 8, 2013
One more thing....

Remember the Golden Rule.....

Whomever has the Gold...Makes the Rules

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#485440 Feb 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an ugly thing to witness.
[1] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
[2] "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones." - KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
[3] "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." - Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF...
"They aren't 'Real Christians'" in 3.... 2... 1...

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#485441 Feb 8, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Today's Prayer
Oh, how I praise You Lord! You heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds. You count the number of the stars and call them all by name. Great are You, Lord, and mighty in power. Your understanding is infinite. You lift up the humble, and cast the wicked down to the ground. I praise you Lord, you who covers the heavens with clouds and prepares rain for the earth; you who makes grass to grow on mountains and gives food to beasts of the earth. Praise you Lord, the One whom I trust to heal my hurts and bind up my wounds...and provide my needs. Bless you, in Jesus' name. Amen.
Prime Time with God
Amen.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#485442 Feb 8, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
"They aren't 'Real Christians'" in 3.... 2... 1...
Its difficult to say what real ChristiansTM are, as different groups believe different things concerning salvation, the Bible, the Eucharist and other things. And individuals within the groups have different ideas. A pick and chose of what bits suit their personal belief systems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 5 min DENG 38,030
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min spinosaurus baryonyx 30,048
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min good advice 43,918
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Rider on the Storm 181,954
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min pusherman 968,889
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min Just Think 638,055
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 26 min Joe Fortuna 4,778
More from around the web