<quoted text>
Them 900 numbers really add up fast. LOL
now THAT'S "Keepin' it REAL!"

;)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#485410 Feb 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
The extremists will seem more and more extreme as time passes, prompting mainstream believers to disassociate with them, allowing them to adopt even more progressive humanist values.
I agree there is a split between radical and mainstream. But then people being targeted would be those espousing radical ideas. There is no way to seperate the two as ideals dont exist on their own or have any impact unless someone is adhering to them. I disagree you will ever see religion gone but what will happen imo is over the years it will work better in conjuction. Just like believers within the faith disassociate with radicals, ppl outside the faith are capable of distinguishing. It will result in a more loving church and thats a good thing but Jesus and those who believe in him arent going anywhere nor should they. Simply some of the extremist who hide behind the Bible and misuse it are being called on it. Thats good too. Less hypocrisy, more accountability, more love.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#485411 Feb 7, 2013
How many have prayed for more than this:

"Accepting God's will.
Daily food.
Forgiveness.
Proetection from 'evil'.
Removal of temptation."

If so I refer you to what Jesus said to pray for in Matthew 6:9–13

Location hidden

#485412 Feb 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
(Portions of your post omitted.)
I think physical exercise absolutely is necessary.
There are so many positives just from being in an exercise state.
I dont care if u ommit parts of posts unless it changes the meaning, just for future reference. And yeah I agree, physical exercise is a positive. I am not sure the point as I wasnt inferring a monopoly on positive states. I agree a variety of things can be a good state to be in

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#485413 Feb 7, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Touché
:)
Hope your night is a good one ,Scott...
Lol..........hey there John, had a pretty goid day and looking forward to a restful night before heading out for work in the morn, hope you have a Blessed night likewise.(:

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#485414 Feb 7, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Gotta be honest with you, Brother. I've been warned many times before..."Don't ever expect Doctor REALITY to answer...." But, I'm the type to always expect change in people. Even Doctor REALITY. And besides, I thought it was only fair that as long as he keeps telling people that they're going to face judgment and this and that, then he might as well explain why they're going to face judgment, according to what he believes. And another thing. He was the one that was so bold as to declare, before us all, that that one verse, 1John 2:19, shuts us all up. Well, I addressed it with, not only my interpretation of that verse, but the surrounding verses that I believe made my interpretation unnecessary.
You know what it is, right? I think I made the mistake of saying publicly that if he admitted that he's wrong, that that verse doesn't mean what he believed it meant, then that would mean he would have to, or at least should, reconsider his beliefs regarding all the other verses he believes shuts us up. And by other verses, I mean Romans 2:14 (pg 23286), Romans 3:21-22 (pg 23288), Romans 4:14-16 (pg 23326), Hebrews 7:11-14 (pg 23363), and Romans 9 (pg 23343). My bad, right? Not a peep, though. Not a single, solitary peep. But, he keeps it real, though.
Ever see the Dave Chappelle skits, "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong"?
I know , you've that 'persistent' streak(smiles).

And sure, he could change, but I believe he derives a certain pleasure in the run-a-round.

Thing is , if you go check out other threads he posts on, a few comments are quite lucid and surprising,even. Though I may break his chops here, I believe him to be a guy one could sit on a dock with and fish.

But to get deep theologically, ah, better off going fishin'
;)

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#485415 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Seldom ?
You are too generous.
Hahahaha..........

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#485416 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I dont care if u ommit parts of posts unless it changes the meaning, just for future reference. And yeah I agree, physical exercise is a positive. I am not sure the point as I wasnt inferring a monopoly on positive states. I agree a variety of things can be a good state to be in
I did go out of my way, at the very start, to disclose that I snipped part of your post.

I hope my conscience can be clear.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#485417 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
How many have prayed for more than this:
"Accepting God's will.
Daily food.
Forgiveness.
Proetection from 'evil'.
Removal of temptation."
If so I refer you to what Jesus said to pray for in Matthew 6:9–13
Remember this?

Location hidden

#485418 Feb 7, 2013
Edit Tide...btw all I wanted from Ians was essentially the same acknowledgement and hopefully the same distinction. That the people he would target are the radicals and he knows there is a diff between radical and mainstream. You cant shut anyone down for exercising their right to free speech but you can target them with your own. I really dont care who exposes hypocrite radicals such as preachers raging against homosexuality calling them abominations and then found having sex with young boys.Obviously an extreme example but people who promote hate are not promoting anything Christ taught. Ppl have a right to feel however they do and for the most part to say it. What they cant do is say it in God's name if their words are not supported by his teachings. And just as how maainstream disassociates with radical, many mainstream want the radical gone just as much. So it is fine to target ppl you disagree with. what someone cant do and be justified imo is to target by association

Location hidden

#485419 Feb 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did go out of my way, at the very start, to disclose that I snipped part of your post.
I hope my conscience can be clear.
Why wouldnt it be? It was my post and I said I didnt care so what would bother your conscience? Is it the deperate pretext you are searching for to start a fight where it doesnt look like you are once again feeling the practically involuntary need to rush to Ians defense when anybody makes an unflattering post about him that is bothering you? That I could understand. Read your last two posts to me over and see if even you believe there was any reason to make them

Hermosa Beach, CA

#485420 Feb 7, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LuAqOzeueFYXX
Who could not like that?

Hermosa Beach, CA

#485421 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Why wouldnt it be? It was my post and I said I didnt care so what would bother your conscience? Is it the deperate pretext you are searching for to start a fight where it doesnt look like you are once again feeling the practically involuntary need to rush to Ians defense when anybody makes an unflattering post about him that is bothering you? That I could understand. Read your last two posts to me over and see if even you believe there was any reason to make them
OMG

Location hidden

#485422 Feb 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG
YMCA

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#485423 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I agree there is a split between radical and mainstream. But then people being targeted would be those espousing radical ideas.
The ideas are being targeted. "Radical" and "mainstream" are subjective values. They won't mean the same to me as they will to you. I intend to target every idea that I think is faulty, whether those ideas are held by nice people or mean people, regardless of how those ideas are viewed by the religious.
Skombolis wrote:
There is no way to seperate the two as ideals dont exist on their own or have any impact unless someone is adhering to them.
How lost are you?

It is essential to separate ideas from the people that hold them if you want a civil discussion about those ideas. I'd rather it not get personal. I'd rather not invite prejudice. I'd rather stick to addressing the root of the problems as I see them, which are ideas.
Skombolis wrote:
I disagree you will ever see religion gone but what will happen imo is over the years it will work better in conjuction. Just like believers within the faith disassociate with radicals, ppl outside the faith are capable of distinguishing. It will result in a more loving church and thats a good thing but Jesus and those who believe in him arent going anywhere nor should they. Simply some of the extremist who hide behind the Bible and misuse it are being called on it. Thats good too. Less hypocrisy, more accountability, more love.
I never asserted that religion will be gone. Religiosity will lose majority status, and sociopolitical power in America. There will still be people who cling to religion for several generations at least.

Right now, mainstream Christians are still enabling the extremists simply by following the same book. The only difference between the extremists interpretation and the mainstream interpretation is cultural conditioning. African Christians are killing people as witches right now. They don't have the benefit of humanist tempering or secular law, like we have here. I think when people notice how much better Christianity is when you remove most of it, they'll realize that at base, it's just a myth created by ignorant superstitious bigots.

Expect a big rise in Deism too.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#485424 Feb 7, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Tide...btw all I wanted from Ians was essentially the same acknowledgement and hopefully the same distinction. That the people he would target are the radicals and he knows there is a diff between radical and mainstream.
Not people. Ideas.

Not people. Ideas.

There is absolutely no need to target radicals, even if you were targeting people. They are self sustaining billboards for anti-theism.
Skombolis wrote:
You cant shut anyone down for exercising their right to free speech but you can target them with your own. I really dont care who exposes hypocrite radicals such as preachers raging against homosexuality calling them abominations and then found having sex with young boys.Obviously an extreme example but people who promote hate are not promoting anything Christ taught.
Christ was just a mechanism for creating a slightly more palatable myth. I'm not saying, definitively, that the creators of Christianity knew they were doing that. Social movements often occur without intent or insight. They probably really did believe in the Jesus, but they would have believed in magic beans too.
Skombolis wrote:
Ppl have a right to feel however they do and for the most part to say it. What they cant do is say it in God's name if their words are not supported by his teachings.
Who's going to stop them?
Skombolis wrote:
And just as how maainstream disassociates with radical, many mainstream want the radical gone just as much. So it is fine to target ppl you disagree with. what someone cant do and be justified imo is to target by association
Well, I target ideas, and I don't care who holds them.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#485425 Feb 7, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LuAqOzeueFYXX
The 60's were chock full of singing nuns weren't they ?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#485426 Feb 8, 2013
karl44 wrote:
many christians express their desire to watch the torments of hell as entertainment. Such morality condemns the belief system, when other christians do not correct them, thus is condemned the church itself.
It's an ugly thing to witness.

[1] "God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment." - Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

[2] "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones." - KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

[3] "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." - Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#485427 Feb 8, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
One of the best songs ever..........
I agree. The lyrics were just right for answering Lil Whispers lyrics.

Common ground. I'm glad we found some.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#485428 Feb 8, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Tide...btw all I wanted from Ians was essentially the same acknowledgement and hopefully the same distinction. That the people he would target are the radicals and he knows there is a diff between radical and mainstream. You cant shut anyone down for exercising their right to free speech but you can target them with your own. I really dont care who exposes hypocrite radicals such as preachers raging against homosexuality calling them abominations and then found having sex with young boys.Obviously an extreme example but people who promote hate are not promoting anything Christ taught. Ppl have a right to feel however they do and for the most part to say it. What they cant do is say it in God's name if their words are not supported by his teachings. And just as how maainstream disassociates with radical, many mainstream want the radical gone just as much. So it is fine to target ppl you disagree with. what someone cant do and be justified imo is to target by association
I agree entirely with this sentiment. And often here people make the distinction between fundies and ordinary Christians. Personally I cannot see the benefit in bursting the bubble of ordinary Christians. To me I think it can be harsh to say to people "what you believe is rubbish" when they may be getting consolation during loss of a loved one, or comfort during a difficult time in their life. However the wingnut fundie "God hates gays" evilution types are fair game imo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min here 64,104
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min marge 654,113
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 23 min MUQ2 45,245
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 30 min ImFree2Choose 2,588
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min Jake999 281,883
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 36 min Lumatrix 973,845
Talk to Demi Lovato (Jul '08) 50 min Demilove 730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,542
More from around the web