Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Serah wrote:
But we don't know time according to GOD do we?
We know what a day is. A day includes one evening and one morning:

"God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day."

"God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters ... And the evening and the morning were the second day."

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your boy here is dishonest. Popper recanted the comment Gish attributes to him. But being a quote miner, he chooses to reproduce the earlier comment and censor the revised opinion. You only get to do something like that once, and your reputation is permanently blemished. Character matters.
Gish also misrepresents the place of observation in science. We have no requirement to observe the past. We observe the present and deduce what came before. If you see a human corpse, you may conclude that somebody was once born, lived a life, and then died. He wants to say the equivalent of, "If you didn't see it happen, you can't know that it did." Yes you can.
Gish is a notoriously unethical debater: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop
How do you believe the world as we know it started? Which theory suits your ideals/ideas more?

“I write too fast”

Since: Mar 11

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I've missed you, hon.
Where you been?
Hey. I'm...ok...ish. In Tokyo, supposedly doing research, kind of falling behind. I find Topix insanely boring now and only come on here when I'm purposefully avoiding doing something else more fun :)

I kind of like the exchange with other atheists, but I find the creationists to be utterly worthless, stupid people who hate education and all that is good, true and honest in this world.

Some of the Christians on this thread are nice, though, and I hate to be mean to them. I only came on here b/c we seem to have mass moved from the damaged Prove thread to here.

Uhm...how are you?

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol lol what is this about ...? Are we code talkin,sending up smoke signals,lol lol Where you been hidin cause this is all that can be found ....?lol lol.
I couldn't understand a word you wrote. Sure, it was in English and I read English, but you didn't say anything I could make sense of.

Uhm...hi back?

Hey, hummingbird right back at you?

How do I respond to whatever it was that you wrote???

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Shhh shhhh not so loud.
There here to get away from satan.
Wondered if you was mia there.
There's no such thing as satan.

Now, have a glass of rum, watch some [censored] and do some [censored]ing.

:)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

<quoted text>
"God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day."
"God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters ... And the evening and the morning were the second day."
Yes, I am aware of how it is written;

***Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.***

This was the 4th day.... and how do we know how many hours as we know it were in day 3? How long would it take as such to create 4 Seasons? And to fit these 4 seasons into a year?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think God would have explained that in his book. ROFLMAO
Glad you are rolling on the floor laughing, G, you must be feeling very happy about something :)

It is my belief that GOD has explained it in HIS Best Selling Book.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

<quoted text>
In the original Henrew the word used is "Yom" which simply means a period of time. In everyday usage that would be a day but not always.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you believe the world as we know it started? Which theory suits your ideals/ideas more?
Neither real means a sh!t.

"How you got here is never as important as where you are." - Me

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, but I find the multiverse theory most appealing. It seems that at least one thing has always existed or else bootstrapped itself into existence. What is the simplest thing that will do this? A singularity is. If a spot self-created, then expanded, we might have this universe.

But there is a problem, the one called the fine tuning argument. The universe seems to be unlikely. An eternal multiverse producing an infinite number of universes, each with its own first moment and with different parameters physical laws would account for what we find without having to invoke the added complexity of a god, which hypothesis adds unnecessary complexity - a violation of Occam's Razor.

A multiverse can conceivably be a relatively featureless and amorphous substance, whereas the god has to be infinite, immortal, sentient, volitional, omniscient, omnipotent, and perfectly moral. That's orders of magnitude less likely, and adds nothing that the multiverse couldn't do. In the words of the philosophy of science, the god hypothesis is not sufficiently parsimonious:

"Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in logic and problem-solving. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Glad you are rolling on the floor laughing, G, you must be feeling very happy about something :)
LOTR or Tale of Two Cities ?

You need to check facts instead of believing propaganda.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
*** The Nature of Science and of Theories on Origins
by Duane Gish, Ph.D.Creation is in every sense as scientific as evolution.
http://www.icr.org/article/nature-science-the... ***
Notice that the nonsense that you posted was not published in an academic journal, but a fake academic academic journal?

Notice again that what you posted has nothing to do with scientific research whatsoever - and isn't even scientific opinion?

It's just somebody with a PhD writing for "international creationist research" - a website that promotes religion, not science, and misrepresents their writing as science to fool people like you.

So, no, you did not produce a scientific research paper that invokes creationism in its theoretical framework.

Do you want to try again or do you just want me to explain to you how science works, what "theory" means, and how sciences generates testable, disprovable hypotheses?

I apologize if I have little patience for the fraud that is produced by creationists to dupe otherwise nice people like yourself. I have tried long and hard on these threads to explain science to the religious, but it seems as though your religious worldviews cannot be reasoned with. Therefore, my patience has worn to threads - but I will try with someone as nice as you are.

Here are some academic journals. You can do a search on them for creationism if you like:

The American Journal of Human Biology:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.100... (ISSN)1520-6300

The Journal of Biological Chemistry:

http://www.jbc.org/

Paleoanthropology:

http://www.paleoanthro.org/journal/contents_d...

The Journal of Biology:

http://jbiol.com/

Finally, a list of academic biological science journals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biology_...

If you want to know how science works, read science. Don't read lies by religious organizations.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Glad you are rolling on the floor laughing, G, you must be feeling very happy about something :)
Why does a deity need to sell a book?

Why not just write His/Her message in the sky in shocking pink?

"HI EVERYONE. I AM GOD. I AM REAL. NOW ANSWERING PRAYERS."

or something?

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>...
"Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in logic and problem-solving. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Uh oh!
By which Creationism wins. There is only one assumption: "God did it".

LOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I don't know, but I find the multiverse theory most appealing. It seems that at least one thing has always existed or else bootstrapped itself into existence. What is the simplest thing that will do this? A singularity is. If a spot self-created, then expanded, we might have this universe.
But there is a problem, the one called the fine tuning argument. The universe seems to be unlikely. An eternal multiverse producing an infinite number of universes, each with its own first moment and with different parameters physical laws would account for what we find without having to invoke the added complexity of a god, which hypothesis adds unnecessary complexity - a violation of Occam's Razor.
A multiverse can conceivably be a relatively featureless and amorphous substance, whereas the god has to be infinite, immortal, sentient, volitional, omniscient, omnipotent, and perfectly moral. That's orders of magnitude less likely, and adds nothing that the multiverse couldn't do. In the words of the philosophy of science, the god hypothesis is not sufficiently parsimonious:
Yes ~ assumptions have a bit of a reputation LOL...

***A widely held misconception is that dingoes arrived in Australia with Aborigines.

In fact, Aboriginal people arrived in Australia 50,000 years ago while dingoes arrived just 5,000 years ago.

Evidence for the "recent" arrival of the dingo came in 2004 from DNA analysis of dingoes published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

A team of scientists analysed DNA from 211 dingoes from all over Australia, 676 dogs from other continents, 38 Eurasian wolves, and 19 pre-European archaeological dog samples from Polynesia.

The analyses showed dingoes share a high proportion of their DNA with dogs from East Asia. Differences in the DNA between dingoes and East Asian dogs indicated the dingo arrived in Australia 5,000 years ago.

The scientists concluded that dingoes are descendents of domesticated dogs from East Asia. All Australian dingoes may have arisen from a small number of dogs, possibly just one male and one female, that arrived in Australia in a single event.

The East Asian dog and hence the dingo (Canis lupus dingo) probably descended from the Indian Wolf (Canis lupus pallipes). Studies of dingo skeletons suggest they are very similar to Indian pariah dogs and wolves. Australian dingo skulls are between those of dogs and wolves.

Dingoes appear to be somewhere between wolves and dogs. This makes it possible that dingoes are the descendants of one of man's early attempts to domesticate wolves.

http://dingo.livingin-australia.com/australia... ***

Not sure if it is a fact that Aborigine's arrived here 50,000 years ago, but they came when Australia was linked to other land, so it would be interesting to figure out how the dingoes got here, as it appears they came after the land separated, or why we have platypus's or why certain seeds only burst into life after a bushfire.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Dear All:

You may find this interesting. I was at an asthma patient's meeting yesterday, in Tokyo, and met a woman who told me "I used to be a Christian, but I have since become a Shintoist, as the Shinto gods are more powerful than the Christian God."

I thought that was pretty funny, from my atheist perspective.

She then included that, since she is a Shintoist now, she can celebrate Christian Christmas, Buddhist New Year's and Shinto New Year's Day, Christian Easter, Shinto Spring, Buddhist Thanksgiving - b/c Shinto is polytheistic.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am aware of how it is written;
***Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.***
This was the 4th day.... and how do we know how many hours as we know it were in day 3? How long would it take as such to create 4 Seasons? And to fit these 4 seasons into a year?
It's simply not credible to me that the biblical author meant anything other than an ordinary day, the period from sunset to sunset.

SCIENCE DIGRESSION

Did you know that the first days of the earth were much shorter than 24 hours? The moon used to be closer to the earth, but has been corkscrewing away from the earth since its formation. As it does, like a spinning ice skater extending her arms, the rate of earth's rotation slows. From http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm... :

"In the early Carboniferous period some 350 million years ago an Earth year was around 385 days, ancient corals indicate, meaning not that it took longer for the planet to revolve around the sun, but that a day–night cycle was less than 23 hours long.

"Sedimentary rocks such as sandstone also testify to the quicker days of yore. As moon-spawned tides wash over rocks they deposit mineral specks, layer upon layer. In southern Australia, for example, these vertically accumulating tidal "rhythmites" have pegged an Earth day at 21.9 hours some 620 million years ago."

It's not clear if we can extrapolate this rate of deceleration back 4.5 billion years, but if we can shave off an hour for every 300-350 million years as the above data suggest, we get about twelve to fourteen hours less per day for the original days, making them some ten to twelve hours long each.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Dear All:
You may find this interesting. I was at an asthma patient's meeting yesterday, in Tokyo, and met a woman who told me "I used to be a Christian, but I have since become a Shintoist, as the Shinto gods are more powerful than the Christian God."
I thought that was pretty funny, from my atheist perspective.
She then included that, since she is a Shintoist now, she can celebrate Christian Christmas, Buddhist New Year's and Shinto New Year's Day, Christian Easter, Shinto Spring, Buddhist Thanksgiving - b/c Shinto is polytheistic.
Reminds me of a Vietnamese friend who told me his way of life was Buddhist, his philospohy was Taoist and his religion was Christiainity.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice that the nonsense that you posted was not published in an academic journal, but a fake academic academic journal?
Notice again that what you posted has nothing to do with scientific research whatsoever - and isn't even scientific opinion?
It's just somebody with a PhD writing for "international creationist research" - a website that promotes religion, not science, and misrepresents their writing as science to fool people like you.
So, no, you did not produce a scientific research paper that invokes creationism in its theoretical framework.
Do you want to try again or do you just want me to explain to you how science works, what "theory" means, and how sciences generates testable, disprovable hypotheses?
I apologize if I have little patience for the fraud that is produced by creationists to dupe otherwise nice people like yourself. I have tried long and hard on these threads to explain science to the religious, but it seems as though your religious worldviews cannot be reasoned with. Therefore, my patience has worn to threads - but I will try with someone as nice as you are.
Here are some academic journals. You can do a search on them for creationism if you like:
The American Journal of Human Biology:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.100... (ISSN)1520-6300
The Journal of Biological Chemistry:
http://www.jbc.org/
Paleoanthropology:
http://www.paleoanthro.org/journal/contents_d...
The Journal of Biology:
http://jbiol.com/
Finally, a list of academic biological science journals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biology_...
If you want to know how science works, read science. Don't read lies by religious organizations.
I'll stick with Francis Collins.....

***After his book The Language of God was published in 2006, Collins says that he received thousands of e-mails from individuals seeking to explore the relationships between scripture and science. Collins established the BioLogos Foundation to provide responses to these questions and promote a view of harmony between science and faith.

The foundation promotes theistic evolution, but maintains separation from the label to avoid being associated with atheism in some religious communities.[5] Evangelicals are the foundation's primary audience, however, Collins says that he hopes that skeptics, seekers and believers of other faiths will find the website to be helpful.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioLogos_Foundat... ***

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
In the original Henrew the word used is "Yom" which simply means a period of time. In everyday usage that would be a day but not always.
Thanks. I had heard that before. And "day" can mean era in English, as with the phrase "back in the day."

But that is atypical, and context makes it clear. If I say that I went to the car dealer one day in the morning, and bought a car in the evening, it's not realistic to think that I meant anything other than a 24 hour day. The reference to morning and evening make that clear.

Also, Jehovah took a day of rest and command us to do the same. How long do I get to be off work?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

581 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 4 min hotel to hotel 437
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Krackerjacks 115,641
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min feces for jesus 722,231
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 533,618
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Buck Crick 224,656
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Charlie Sheen 256,983
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 17 min drDouchebag 38,485
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 58 min rahx 124
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••