Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#481120 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
Yes ~ assumptions have a bit of a reputation LOL...

***A widely held misconception is that dingoes arrived in Australia with Aborigines. In fact, Aboriginal people arrived in Australia 50,000 years ago while dingoes arrived just 5,000 years ago. Evidence for the "recent" arrival of the dingo came in 2004 from DNA analysis of dingoes published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. A team of scientists analysed DNA from 211 dingoes from all over Australia, 676 dogs from other continents, 38 Eurasian wolves, and 19 pre-European archaeological dog samples from Polynesia. The analyses showed dingoes share a high proportion of their DNA with dogs from East Asia. Differences in the DNA between dingoes and East Asian dogs indicated the dingo arrived in Australia 5,000 years ago.

The scientists concluded that dingoes are descendents of domesticated dogs from East Asia. All Australian dingoes may have arisen from a small number of dogs, possibly just one male and one female, that arrived in Australia in a single event. The East Asian dog and hence the dingo (Canis lupus dingo) probably descended from the Indian Wolf (Canis lupus pallipes). Studies of dingo skeletons suggest they are very similar to Indian pariah dogs and wolves. Australian dingo skulls are between those of dogs and wolves. Dingoes appear to be somewhere between wolves and dogs. This makes it possible that dingoes are the descendants of one of man's early attempts to domesticate wolves.
http://dingo.livingin-australia.com/australia... ***
I'm not certain why you shared this with me at this point on in our discussion, but I'm guessing that you are questioning the validity of hypotheses in general, and showing one that was later revised. Is that correct?
Serah wrote:
it would be interesting to figure out how the dingoes got here, as it appears they came after the land separated, or why we have platypus's or why certain seeds only burst into life after a bushfire.
The biology of Australia is a potent argument for evolution and natural selection. The marsupials there were cut off from the eutherian mammals when the Austalian continent separated from a larger land mass - Gondwana - some eighty to a hundred million years ago, and evolved independently. The adaptive radiation to fill the existing niches parallels something analogous that happened with the placental mammals.From http://txtwriter.com/backgrounders/evolution/... :

"In the best known case of convergent evolution, two major groups of mammals, marsupials and placentals, have evolved in a very similar way, even though the two lineages have been living independently on separate continents ... Marsupials in Australia resemble placental mammals in the rest of the world. They evolved in isolation after Australia separated from other continents."

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481121 Jan 28, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Francis Collins wrote "anyone who does not believe in evolution is not educated."
Also, please note that the above is - again - not a theoretical basis for creationism, nor is it used in scientific research. It is, at best, theological argument.
Once again, creationism is not part of science. Thus far, you have not demonstrated that it is part of science.
***As someone who's had the privilege of leading the human genome project, I've had the opportunity to study our own DNA instruction book at a level of detail that was never really possible before.

It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.

I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that.

But I have no difficulty putting that together with what I believe as a Christian because I believe that God had a plan to create creatures with whom he could have fellowship, in whom he could inspire [the] moral law, in whom he could infuse the soul, and who he would give free will as a gift for us to make decisions about our own behavior, a gift which we oftentimes utilize to do the wrong thing.

I believe God used the mechanism of evolution to achieve that goal. And while that may seem to us who are limited by this axis of time as a very long, drawn-out process, it wasn't long and drawn-out to God. And it wasn't random to God.

[He] had the plan all along of how that would turn out. There was no ambiguity about that.

That's a question that troubles so many Christians who in many ways are very open to science. What would you say to Christians who feel that the randomness or the chaos that evolution can sometimes imply flies in the face of their most cherished beliefs?

I would say that I understand that and I'm sympathetic with how jarring that realization can be. I would say that the stance that some believers take, which is simply to reject evolution, is also to reject the information that God has given us, the ability to understand. I believe God did intend, in giving us intelligence, to give us the opportunity to investigate and appreciate the wonders of His creation. He is not threatened by our scientific adventures.

The answer to that sense of concern about randomness and chaos is to try to think beyond our own human limitations of time and space.

http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Science-Religio... ***

I believe that Creationism is a part of Science and believe that Francis Collins has proven that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#481122 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
And it is credible to me that time as we know it might not be time as GOD knows it!
Your bible says so explicitly. Its god apparently has no sense of time if some days feel like a thousand years and some millennia pass like a day.

But who was he writing to? Was the god smart enough to communicate to people who didn't think like he did?

Again, arguments against six literal days of creation just aren't credible. They sound like revisionism intended to minimize the damage done by modern scientific discoveries that contradicts the biblical creation story and undermine its authority.
Serah wrote:
It is also hard to work out how they can figure out 620 million years ago when not all appears to make sense?
If you'd like to know, you need to study.
Serah wrote:
***It is thought that the Moon was formed when a proto-planet about the size of Mars collided with the early Earth around 4.5bn years ago. The debris left over from impact coalesced to form the Moon. Computer simulations of such an impact are consistent with the Earth Moon system we see in the 21st Century. Without the Moon, the Earth could slow down enough to become unstable, but this would take billions of years and it may never happen at all.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment... ***

If Earth needs the Moon, how did Earth not only survive, but populate itself (to a degree) with whatever was living then?
Why do you think that the earth needs the moon? Life on earth almost certainly would be less evolved or nonexistent without it, but the earth would be fine.

Nothing was living on the earth following the moon forming impact.
Serah wrote:
And if Earth survived before, why is it questionable that it won't survive again?
Survive what? Another impact?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#481123 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
***As someone who's had the privilege of leading the human genome project, I've had the opportunity to study our own DNA instruction book at a level of detail that was never really possible before.
It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.
I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that.
But I have no difficulty putting that together with what I believe as a Christian because I believe that God had a plan to create creatures with whom he could have fellowship, in whom he could inspire [the] moral law, in whom he could infuse the soul, and who he would give free will as a gift for us to make decisions about our own behavior, a gift which we oftentimes utilize to do the wrong thing.
I believe God used the mechanism of evolution to achieve that goal. And while that may seem to us who are limited by this axis of time as a very long, drawn-out process, it wasn't long and drawn-out to God. And it wasn't random to God.
[He] had the plan all along of how that would turn out. There was no ambiguity about that.
That's a question that troubles so many Christians who in many ways are very open to science. What would you say to Christians who feel that the randomness or the chaos that evolution can sometimes imply flies in the face of their most cherished beliefs?
I would say that I understand that and I'm sympathetic with how jarring that realization can be. I would say that the stance that some believers take, which is simply to reject evolution, is also to reject the information that God has given us, the ability to understand. I believe God did intend, in giving us intelligence, to give us the opportunity to investigate and appreciate the wonders of His creation. He is not threatened by our scientific adventures.
The answer to that sense of concern about randomness and chaos is to try to think beyond our own human limitations of time and space.
http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Science-Religio... ***
I believe that Creationism is a part of Science and believe that Francis Collins has proven that.
Uhm...you are using what seems to be an expanded version of "creationism." Quite clearly, Collins doesn't believe that humans were specially created - he knows that humans evolved from earlier hominin. He does, however, believe that God created the universe billions of years ago to become what it is now.

That's not a scientific statement. Collins is not doing science when he declares his religious belief for these things. He also doesn't include creationism in his theoretical framework for understanding DNA - he uses evolution for that.

So, yes, Collins infers a divine plan. However, he doesn't base his scientific research on that. Rather, he draws his inference from his religion and uses it to understanding the observations that science provides us.

I disagree with him for two reasons:

1. There are tons of religions, most of which made mutually exclusive claims.
2. Religious claims are not testable, nor supportable by evidence. People believe them because they grew up in a certain religion, in a certain culture, speaking a certain language.

Of course your religious belief is real to you. That doesn't make it objectively real, though. Quite clearly other believers of other religions "know" their religion is the "one, true religion" just like you do. Your declaration is not any stronger than their declaration - and neither is Collins', though I'm glad he wrote a book about evolution.
uIdiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace

United States

#481124 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think GOD needs to sell a book at all....
Do u agreed or not with this...your thought on this?

That this is possible may not be denied in a world where hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people voluntarily submit to celibacy, obligated and bound by nothing except the injunction of the Church. Should the same renunciation not be possible if this injunction is replaced by the admonition finally to put an end to the constant and continuous original sin of racial poisoning, and to give the Almighty Creator beings such as He Himself created?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#481125 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
***As someone who's had the privilege of leading the human genome project, I've had the opportunity to study our own DNA instruction book at a level of detail that was never really possible before.
It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.
I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that.
But I have no difficulty putting that together with what I believe as a Christian because I believe that God had a plan to create creatures with whom he could have fellowship, in whom he could inspire [the] moral law, in whom he could infuse the soul, and who he would give free will as a gift for us to make decisions about our own behavior, a gift which we oftentimes utilize to do the wrong thing.
I believe God used the mechanism of evolution to achieve that goal. And while that may seem to us who are limited by this axis of time as a very long, drawn-out process, it wasn't long and drawn-out to God. And it wasn't random to God.
[He] had the plan all along of how that would turn out. There was no ambiguity about that.
That's a question that troubles so many Christians who in many ways are very open to science. What would you say to Christians who feel that the randomness or the chaos that evolution can sometimes imply flies in the face of their most cherished beliefs?
I would say that I understand that and I'm sympathetic with how jarring that realization can be. I would say that the stance that some believers take, which is simply to reject evolution, is also to reject the information that God has given us, the ability to understand. I believe God did intend, in giving us intelligence, to give us the opportunity to investigate and appreciate the wonders of His creation. He is not threatened by our scientific adventures.
The answer to that sense of concern about randomness and chaos is to try to think beyond our own human limitations of time and space.
http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Science-Religio... ***

I believe that Creationism is a part of Science and believe that Francis Collins has proven that.
Collins contradicts your opinion in your citation:

"The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.
I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that ... I believe God used the mechanism of evolution"

Why do you suppose that Collins, "would not necessarily wish that to be so"? It is because Creationism posits that the origin of the species inhered in an act of abrupt creation of the "kinds" more or less as we find them today, not their gradual evolution over deep time from a singe ancestral population by natural selection.

Science contradicts the biblical creation story, and Collins is acknowledging that.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481126 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not certain why you shared this with me at this point on in our discussion, but I'm guessing that you are questioning the validity of hypotheses in general, and showing one that was later revised. Is that correct?
<quoted text>
The biology of Australia is a potent argument for evolution and natural selection. The marsupials there were cut off from the eutherian mammals when the Austalian continent separated from a larger land mass - Gondwana - some eighty to a hundred million years ago, and evolved independently. The adaptive radiation to fill the existing niches parallels something analogous that happened with the placental mammals.From http://txtwriter.com/backgrounders/evolution/... :
"In the best known case of convergent evolution, two major groups of mammals, marsupials and placentals, have evolved in a very similar way, even though the two lineages have been living independently on separate continents ... Marsupials in Australia resemble placental mammals in the rest of the world. They evolved in isolation after Australia separated from other continents."
Yes... to a degree.

Actually, I find all of this fascinating, and enjoyed science at school. It is much easier to keep up with things these days, as the world is at our fingertips, and there has been much progress and understanding of how our DNA activates and accordingly, why!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481127 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bible says so explicitly. Its god apparently has no sense of time if some days feel like a thousand years and some millennia pass like a day.
But who was he writing to? Was the god smart enough to communicate to people who didn't think like he did?
Again, arguments against six literal days of creation just aren't credible. They sound like revisionism intended to minimize the damage done by modern scientific discoveries that contradicts the biblical creation story and undermine its authority.
<quoted text>
If you'd like to know, you need to study.
<quoted text>
Why do you think that the earth needs the moon? Life on earth almost certainly would be less evolved or nonexistent without it, but the earth would be fine.
Nothing was living on the earth following the moon forming impact.
<quoted text>
Survive what? Another impact?
I was referring to the info and link that I posted on the moon....
uIdiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace

United States

#481128 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think GOD needs to sell a book at all....
The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481129 Jan 28, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm...you are using what seems to be an expanded version of "creationism." Quite clearly, Collins doesn't believe that humans were specially created - he knows that humans evolved from earlier hominin. He does, however, believe that God created the universe billions of years ago to become what it is now.
That's not a scientific statement. Collins is not doing science when he declares his religious belief for these things. He also doesn't include creationism in his theoretical framework for understanding DNA - he uses evolution for that.
So, yes, Collins infers a divine plan. However, he doesn't base his scientific research on that. Rather, he draws his inference from his religion and uses it to understanding the observations that science provides us.
I disagree with him for two reasons:
1. There are tons of religions, most of which made mutually exclusive claims.
2. Religious claims are not testable, nor supportable by evidence. People believe them because they grew up in a certain religion, in a certain culture, speaking a certain language.
Of course your religious belief is real to you. That doesn't make it objectively real, though. Quite clearly other believers of other religions "know" their religion is the "one, true religion" just like you do. Your declaration is not any stronger than their declaration - and neither is Collins', though I'm glad he wrote a book about evolution.
I have no religion.... and I too am glad that Francis Collins wrote his books and also that he understands our DNA.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481130 Jan 28, 2013
uIdiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>Do u agreed or not with this...your thought on this?
That this is possible may not be denied in a world where hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people voluntarily submit to celibacy, obligated and bound by nothing except the injunction of the Church. Should the same renunciation not be possible if this injunction is replaced by the admonition finally to put an end to the constant and continuous original sin of racial poisoning, and to give the Almighty Creator beings such as He Himself created?
I don't think GOD needs to sell a book but I believe we need to buy it :)

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481131 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Collins contradicts your opinion in your citation:
"The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.
I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that ... I believe God used the mechanism of evolution"
Why do you suppose that Collins, "would not necessarily wish that to be so"? It is because Creationism posits that the origin of the species inhered in an act of abrupt creation of the "kinds" more or less as we find them today, not their gradual evolution over deep time from a singe ancestral population by natural selection.
Science contradicts the biblical creation story, and Collins is acknowledging that.
It is my thought that having a common ancestor enhances GOD as the common Factor as such. Francis Collins also believes that our DNA is too miraculous to have been the result of circumstance.... which is why of course, he refers to our DNA as the Language of GOD.

***Enter Dr. Francis Collins, current director of the National Institutes of Health, the key player in the 2003 completion of the Human Genome Project, the man who should know all there is to know about human genetics. His list of accomplishments in the field of genetics is impressive, including elucidation of the genetic cause of cystic fibrosis. Dr. Collins is a professing Christian, much to the vocal horror of many in the secular scientific community.

Dr. Collins’s 2006 book, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief, told the world that all members of the human species “descended from a common set of founders, approximately 10,000 in number, who lived about 100,000 to 150,000 years ago”(page 126 of the book). Along with a later book co-authored with Dr. Karl Giberson, The Language of Science and Faith, Collins tells us that the concepts of the ancestral “first couple” and the “Genesis time frame” do not “fit the evidence.” He attempts to comfort us with his idea that the Genesis story is a nice allegory explaining how God gave human beings “a spiritual and moral nature.” Indeed, in his book, he makes it clear that it is only a moral nature and a yearning to search for God which distinguish the human from the animal.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2011... ***

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.....

I don't think all will be upset when Francis Collins talks of other common Ancestors, about 10,000 of them, because there is indication that GOD created more than just Adam and Eve.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#481132 Jan 28, 2013
uIdiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will.
Which is why we need the Bible, but we also need to understand the Bible, if it is to have meaning. IMO of course.
uIdiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace

United States

#481133 Jan 28, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think GOD needs to sell a book but I believe we need to buy it :)
I wash my hand of it, you no not what that passage came from --- i though you well educated woman with wisdom and with virtue of moral and human ethics, i guest not, you so easily taken to cleaners,. You just fallen into a trap - that you buying into Neo_multusian castrophe.... a NAzi 'Mein Kempf' book and Hitler use of bible to do his dirty deeds, his aagendas Racial purity -a superior race. you are nincompoop, you are another Hiltlerian NAzi-style supporting fool Caught u!. BWHHAHHAHAHAAAAAAA

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#481134 Jan 28, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>I couldn't get your video to work...but I watched another one...My goodness that is bad.....You weren't the lady that they had to rescue...were you?.

Hope it calms down a little and starts going down...
No, thankfully I haven't needing much rescuing. It should start moving down in the next two days. Blessings Epi <3

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#481135 Jan 28, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging Words....

And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

Colossians 3:15

K-Love
Amen <3

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#481136 Jan 28, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Luci in the sky, with diamonds ..
.. would you like to chat with Catcher & myself ??..
.. or, would you prefer Tide ??..

.. abuse? Heavens !! NO. We can chat about whatever your heart desires - the flood, economics, the meaning of life, sex. Conversation is always stimulating ..

Poetic License Taken

Come to me tonight, come to me tonight,
We've taken everything in sight,
Except for the strings on your kite.
Lol... I'm not sure I can come up with anything interesting to say today. Floods bad, no power bad, slow Internet on my phone, bad. Lol... That's about it really, I'm very tired...
<3

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#481137 Jan 28, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning JLU, I am doing well my friend, I think that the best way of dealing with this person is to simply ignore her. Wish there were a way to get you to send some of that warm air here in chilly South Carolina, lol..........anyway I wish you a Blessed SONday IN the Lord Jesus.
Thanks L, when it returns I shall try :)

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#481138 Jan 28, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen <3
Good morning J-LU (here at least) how're you today?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#481139 Jan 28, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning JLU, I am doing well my friend, I think that the best way of dealing with this person is to simply ignore her. Wish there were a way to get you to send some of that warm air here in chilly South Carolina, lol..........anyway I wish you a Blessed SONday IN the Lord Jesus.
I meant the warm air. Just rain at the moment and you're right, it is best to just ignore some people. Bless <3

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
phonetique et phonologie 2 min mounir moon 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Clearwater 87,923
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 min X Pendable 184,670
Electing a president.......with NO POLITICAL EX... 11 min Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min Michael 665,160
Where can i buy ecstasy in dundee?? ASAP (Feb '13) 34 min Doctor REALITY 4
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 37 min Seentheotherside 45,792
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr crucifiedguy 284,491
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Gabriel 977,198
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 7 hr Liamm 453
The Future of Politics in America 18 hr Insults Are Easier 176
More from around the web