Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#476987 Jan 15, 2013
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question, I wonder if the Lord realised that when He gave John a shout to do just that?
<smiles>
Hi Quin and how's it go...?
But of course as you pointed out in another post this is allegorical, a vision- though it presents visual representation of something which John would be familiar,the Temple in Jerusalem, which ,I propose, existed concurrently with the writing of Revelation. And John unquestioning goes to the task,silence on the matter is deafening,"Measure, What Temple..?"
Now, it has been theorised John being in exile may not have know the Temple was destroyed, but wait...25 yrs. later?(If ones goes by a late date of 95 A.D.) Was John thrown into solitary confinement in 69 A.D.? Doesn't wash.
That's another aside, in what I term "Christian folklore" Patmos is made out to be a barren penal colony, yet archaeological evidence suggest it was anything but. Seems Patmos was a place of commerce and a convenient stop over for those traveling from Rome to places like Ephesus- which was an epicenter of Caesar worship(Gordon Franz, "The King and I:The Historical Setting of Revelation and the Apostle John on Patmos").
I once held to the common eschatological view in most evangelical circles, that of Dispensationalism, but in my course of studies and questioning some of that 'folklore'-my views have changed. Many a believer just accepts what the preacher or Bible teacher espouses and it becomes their 'Christian worldview'. And why not, hey "He's the preacher he's gotta be in the know,right...?"
I don't write this to disparage any with a differing view, this is a "in house debate",after all:)
I also normally don't publicly discuss specifics of eschatology as of late for I found it to 'upset' the sensibilities of some(except for Campingites;),and is not an 'essential'- unlike the efficacy of Christ.Only broached it for a response to Drew. Those that wish further discussion could contact privately.
Hope your evening is going well - Jack
I'm doing good Jack, thanks for the shout. Hope everything is well your way.

As far as Patmos, it was inhabited initially and yes, it was a source of commerce also The original inhabitants left and it later became a prison mining colony for a long while. Ships still did go back and forth to pick up quarry work and such.

Have a good one.

#476988 Jan 15, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how you try to discredit one's reputation.
Something one of your internet friends shared with me a while back...
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Dare to speak up to a "little wanna be internet preacher"
Will you please stop punching my ankles?
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
as yourself and the lies and slander come out..
You are seriously one troubled human being..
<<<heavy, long sigh while typing>>> I'm fine Le le... May truly receive Salvation one day before it's too late. Bye bye for now.

#476989 Jan 15, 2013
Edit (Le le): "May you truly receive Salvation one day before it's too late. Bye bye for now."

#476990 Jan 15, 2013
Welp, not too much to respond to back there. I saw a few pirahnas who were at the height of having a little feeding frenzy back there but that's about it... didn't want to disturb their mealtime, now lol.

Sending out a new Rev study... Have a good one...

:D

#476991 Jan 15, 2013
REVELATION Study

I. Rev 1:11 (Part 3 bridged with Rev 2:8-11)

"Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, SMYRNA..."

Rev 1__________TTTTTTTTTTTTT\_____ ____ Rev 2

II. Jesus: "I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich!"

A. First off, Smyrna means "Myrrh". Myrrh has many uses and healing properties but is also biblically symbolic of suffering, bitterness of soul or even death. The word "myrrh" itself means "was bitter". Myrrh was also very, very expensive back then but it's uses was much sought after.

B. Though Smyrna is the 2nd church to be mentioned by Jesus... it was the first church to have praise and commendation by Him without rebuke. Smyrna was a suffering church... but it appears that they were not only rich in God's Grace but rich in faith and good works as well... and appears they have been steadfast in the faith... undeterred. Praise God. Why does God "allow" His People to suffer and/or be vexed... especially when they are seemingly in the Will of God? Is it God's Will for His People to suffer? Yes, if "myrrh", I mean "suffering" would help mortify our fleshly members, make us more spiritually obedient to The Spirit of God AND would yield forth "precious faith" that is more purer than Gold then the answer is a resounding Yes! God is more interested in our faith and us continually drawing closer to Him then us being rich and drawn to the things of the world. Hmmmm... interesting.

C. So, that is what suffering is... bitterness of soul. And that is what myrrh symbolically represents here. The good news is, Jesus was aware of their suffering. Btw, Smyrna was a darling of Rome also.... the people (not the Christian Believers) strongly adhered to Emperor worship. In being such, it was a rich city so how did these Christians become poor?(And when I say Christian here I mean Jews and Gentiles who trust in Jesus as their Messiah) They became poor because of their faith... being a true Christian was extremely dangerous back then.... probaly just as close to dangerous as being a Christian in Pakistan today. They were purposely being excluded from the community, mocked in derision and hated especially by the Jews with intense hatred. But isn't it funny though, that when you contrast this poor church with some churches in the USA today with some of them having grandiose designs that one may suspect that THAT is the will of God... material blessing... but it was this little, insignificant church at Smyrna which was commended? See, God is more interested in their spiritual well-being rather than the desires of material wealth and a "show me" the money attitude. Btw, part of the fruit of the Spirit is long-suffering also.

D. James 5:10-11... I Peter 2:19... Philippians 2:8

* " Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone would come after Me, he must DENY HIMSELF and TAKE UP HIS CROSS and follow Me."

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#476992 Jan 15, 2013
Seraphine wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonsoir mon ami, an intersting acronym, my soulmate and I have sweaters that are matching that read SWAG, can you guess the meaning?
Saved
With
Amazing
Grace....Thats a good one :) God Bless

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#476993 Jan 15, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Good early morning JLU, that is a very good description of the fruits of the spirit.
Blessings.
Thanks Lawest :)
Good morning to you, eve for me, I often have to keep going back to the fruits as I had many to work through, still do. How are you? You got snow too? I know, I keep babbling about snow, it just fascinates me, the first and last time I saw it was in Bathurst when I was a girl. When my kids grow up and leave I'm gonna go visit penguins or something...
Anyway, God Bless and have a great day :D
<3

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#476994 Jan 15, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>The quick and simple answer would be yes but there is more to that wonderful situation...
Hi Qu :) Hope you have a lovely day :D
Now, as I've read somewhere on topix, when you're ready of course,'I'm listening'...
<3

Location hidden

#476995 Jan 15, 2013
Seraphine wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonsoir mon ami, not quite. It says Santified With Amazing Grace. Sora and I are currently debating about the life and death of Vincent Van Gogh. Sora believes that he suffered from a form of mental illness more than likely schizophrenia, we have read all of his letters I believe that as a person who works with paint on a daily basis to me it was lead poisining. What do you believe was the cause of his erratic and often disturbing behavior? An example would be what happened with Paul Gaguin.
Hello Seraphine..

Sanctified
With
Amazing
Grace.. I really like that. Thank You maam. Have a wonderful day

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#476996 Jan 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Love is giving yes,God give Jesus.
How is that giving? What use is that to me? I didn't request anybody's torture or death.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#476997 Jan 15, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Hey JLU, the Jewish people are God's chosen but now that choice have been extended to the entire human family through the shedded blood of Jesus Christ our lord and saviour, beginning with the house of Cornelius as outlined in the 10th chapter of the book of Acts, but as you probably know regardless of race, creed or color one must still put Christ on through obedience to his Word by repentance and remission of sins.
So, now, in addition to the Jewish people whose names are in the Book because of God's promise to Abraham, there are chosen Christians through Jesus as well? So Jewish people (is it rude to say Jews?) and Christians or people who Follow Jesus are family? If I'm wrong please do tell me...if you want to.
<3

Fennario

#476998 Jan 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
the fact that I know you will have to face God in judgment, say what you want writer.
The fact is that there is no such thing as a perfect god that makes mistakes.

Another fact is that you have no special senses or faculties that allow you to know what isn't known or knowable to man.

Another fact is that when you claim to know what is unknowable, you define yourself as unreliable.

Location hidden

#477000 Jan 15, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> But keep in mind what Qu, Skom, myself and others have been telling you..........that faith without works is DEAD. Right?????
Thank You for your response..I will keep that in mind. The point is, we cannot work our way to heaven, but because we have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, we will have good works - not to be saved, but because we are saved.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#477001 Jan 15, 2013
MORNING....

“Success, in a generally accepted sense of the term, means the opportunity to experience
and to realize to the maximum
the forces that are within us.”

~ David Sarnoff

Thought for the Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#477002 Jan 15, 2013
Today's Prayer

Dear Father in Heaven, There are so many couples who long to have children of their own, but they just have not been able to do so. I pray for these families, that you will anoint them and bless the desire of their hearts. On the other hand, there are many children who long to have parents and a stable family to love and care for them. I pray that you will give them hope and bless the desire of their hearts. Please join together those parents and children into loving families. Meet their needs and show your hand in their lives. Thank you for hearing and for working in these special situations. In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.

Prime Time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#477003 Jan 15, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be you

Mark 11:24

K-Love

Fennario

#477004 Jan 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
you not seem to understand the concept of free moral agents. is not God job to stop that evil man from going into a school and kill children.
It's all of our jobs to stop such a thing if we can, your god included.

What use is your god if it can't be bothered to save children? Why should I respect such indifference, let alone worship it?

And why would I try to make my morals conform to those of your god? Mine are already better than that. What would you think of me if I had the power to save those children and didn't bother?

And what should I think of the enablers who define goodness by whatever their god is said to do, however repugnant it may be?

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#477005 Jan 15, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
So Heaven and Earth were not created for man to live and then be saved ?
Sorta kills that whole "Before Adam was I" theory all to Hell.
Come, now, G_O_D.

First, the citation said that heaven and earth were created, specifically, for James. Not "man." There is a difference.

Secondly, heaven and earth were created for man to live, but not to be saved. Nothing in the bible even suggests that man was created with any foreknowledge that he would one day fall. That's preposterous.

I might have just opened a huge can of worms, but hey. Somebody's gotta do it.

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#477006 Jan 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Hey,Dumbo,why would a REAL saved person want to 'constantly' commit those kinds of acts?? Stop trying to make excuses for your own state of 'stupidity by choice'.
I'll not go so far as to resort to name-calling and what-not, as I can't imagine anyone that's truly saved to want to act so juvenile, but as to your question...

Why did Ham want to commit the atrocious act he did?

Point #1: Ham was fully aware of what's righteousness and what's not, i.e., what's acceptable behavior and what's not.

Point #2: Ham was fully aware of the reason the inhabitants of the earth were destroyed.

Point #3: Ham was, in the most literal sense, saved, or passed over.

Why did the nation of Israel want to commit the atrocious acts they did?

Point #1: Israel witnessed all the plagues in Egypt.

Point #2: Israel was fully aware of the reasons the inhabitants of Egypt were destroyed.

Point #3: Israel, while at the base of Sinai, had just heard the decalogue from the very mouth of "God."

Point #4: Israel was, in the literal sense, saved, or passed over.

Fennario

#477007 Jan 15, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 10:1
This is atheophobic hate speech.

Some Christian on this thread was just complaining about not being shown enough respect. This is why you will never get it from me.

Teaching this filth makes the repudiating your church a moral obligation. We have a legitimate interest in seeing it atrophy, weaken, and lose its voice.

If you don't understand what the objection is here, how about if we skeptics make this our mantra as well: You Christians are all fools. You're all corrupt, every single one of you. Not one of you is good. You are all abominations.

How do you like that? That's what you just told me via your fictional mouthpiece. The days of this argument being one-sided are over. We have a voice now, and you will hear what we think of your filthy church and its hateful scriptures that you wield like weapons. Respect is mutual or not at all.

Let me share a few words about respect from Pat Condell:

"So yes, maybe I could show a bit more respect. The only fly in the ointment is I don't actually feel any respect. I have tried, I really have, and I feel just terrible about it, but it just isn't there ... My conscience knows that there's no earthly reason for anybody on this planet to respect religion in any way.

"Indeed, purely on the evidence religion itself provides in such regular abundance, there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere.

"So, if you are a religious person, and if you're thinking of demanding more respect for your beliefs, please try to bear in mind that you and your religion are already getting way more respect than you’ve have ever deserved. Your faith is a joke. Your god is a joke. He's so absurd he's an embarrassment even to people who don't believe in him."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Darwins Stepchild 28,346
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min onemale 280,469
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 22 min spinosaurus baryonyx 104,195
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 31 min Highest Comandmen... 44,107
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 36 min VIKING 968,672
Play "end of the word" part 2 39 min ImFree2Choose 1,429
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 49 min MUQ2 4,739
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 53 min Praise Jesus 637,231
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr truth 37,988
More from around the web