|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
90% or more of the population believes in a higher power.
But, how many of these 90% are sincere believers?

I ask, because it troubles me that this is factual, and yet our world is engulfed in chaos and hatred on every side. But, let's get to the heart of the matter.

Of this 90%, the majority are affiliated with, at least, one of the many denominations of Christendom. "Christianity," as we know it, boasts of the most members of any religion and philosophy, even combined and rightly so. But, where's her fruit? Why does the world not profit from her presence as it should? So, now I ask...

Of all those that claim membership in, at least, one of the many denominations of Christendom, how many are sincere believers and how many are hypocrites?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Edit Brother Lee....I can solve ur phone problem. Just get your car broken into and your phone stolen and have a backup thats such a piece of crap that it doesnt even give you the full 4000! LOL...and to be serious for a second. Why would people spend more time on trivial things than searching for the perfect faith? My guess is because they are convinced they have it much in the same way the emperor thought he had the perfect outfit.People will tell you what you want to hear, especially if you seek them out. And the ones that disagree and say nothing? More concerned with offending man than God. I'd tell a story but dont wanta get into specifics but basically it was me correcting someone in private and taking crap for it and being accused of embarrassing them. Heaven forbid someone who preaches should learn past what is probably a belief set that hasnt changed in 30 years. Sigh..but thats the world we live in where our identity and self-worth is based on all the wrong things thanks to misplaced pride. part 1

“Painters Find Beauty in Life ”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
On the social responsibility side of things, I'm very comfortable with my performance.
I have been fortunate to be successful in times very difficult for many others, and I do what I can, financially and by participation, to assist those who haven't been as lucky as I have been.
But I don't need a god to tell me it's the right thing to do. I know, very clearly, what's right and wrong.
Bonsoir mon ami, as do I. Sora and I assist people daily and we take pride in this. We do not see the wealth we have as evil but it becomes so when it is not used for the benefit of others, what do you think? Do you consider yourself a Freethinker or an Agnostic? What do you think of people who are such? We have both as neighbors and they are very interesting people.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Sora wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonsoir Monsieur. Your beliefs are intriguing to us and we would like to know more. We enjoy learning from all people, nonbelievers are entitled to their beliefs whether one likes it or not. What are your opinions regarding Christians Monsieur?
I don't lump Christians together.

I only care about the person. It doesn't matter his or her beliefs.

One of the very few people I place in the greatest esteem as an example of what a human being can achieve, was a Christian. He was the Chaplain at a major east-coast university I attended for my four-year undergraduate education. A wonderful man.

But there is a different type of Christian, the type that think they own this country; that they know the truth; that if we don't accept their faith, we're going to roast forever in a horrific hell that their god has all ready for us heathens.

Unfortunately, we have fair share of these ones.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Edit Lee part 2. If you were walking down the street and saw someone fall and went to help them up..what are the odds they would tell you go F yourself or think you were implying they were not capable of getting up on their own or not smart enough or didnt know how? But try to help from the heart not even through correction but by witnessing to what you believe and suddenly you are the enemy. Sure everybody is gonna have times where they come across beliefs of others and think "man that is just ridiculous" and in those cases their prob wont be much to learn. But for the most part it supposed to be a body of believers with the same goal..to help each other and themselves to get as close to as much of the truth as we can. Even if we disagree..why the animosity and accusations so often? i have a lot of reasons for why I believe this happens but will keep them to myself.(T) PEACE

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
BROTHER LEE...I am afraid I am going to have to refer you to Topix terms of service, paragraph 4, sub-section 3a "scriptual differences"...which reads "Here on Topix we realize some of our most popular threads have to do with Christianity. It is foreseeable that differences in interpretation will arise. We strongly encourage our posters to maintain a (2) scripture limit. Anything more may constitute context and lead to a greater understanding and this is an entertainment site not an educational one. Please try to keep replies along the lines of "you're belief is of the devil" or "you will burn in hell". The more incendiary the better as revenue is proportionate to traffic due to advertising.And the lower the discourse, the more participants. If you dont know an answer NEVER admit it. Simply tell the other person that God has blinded them. And if you come across scripture you cant offer any interpretation for just keep repeating your prior response. And copy and paste as much as possible. Thx Sincerely Topix.
Awwwww, SHUCKS!

Okay...okay...

Hold on there, fella...

How 'bout everyone zooms their screen to maximum level? Then, we'll only be able to see on verse at a time?!

C'mon, man. Will that work?

Puh-leeeeeeeeez!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Seraphine wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonsoir mon ami, as do I. Sora and I assist people daily and we take pride in this. We do not see the wealth we have as evil but it becomes so when it is not used for the benefit of others, what do you think? Do you consider yourself a Freethinker or an Agnostic? What do you think of people who are such? We have both as neighbors and they are very interesting people.
I am by nature a skeptic. I tend to question everything. I use critical thinking, examine evidence, and decide for myself. For me, the critical word is EVIDENCE.

I have seen no evidence of a god, or of two, three or more gods. In fact, you and I are very close in our atheism. You are an atheist, when it comes to any of the tens of thousands of gods people have believed in. You believe in only one of them. Well, I'm with you on all the thousands of gods you reject, and I'll reject yours as well. So you end up believing in in just one more god than I do. Out of thousands of gods, we're pretty close!

Yaaaay!!

“Painters Find Beauty in Life ”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>But, how many of these 90% are sincere believers?
I ask, because it troubles me that this is factual, and yet our world is engulfed in chaos and hatred on every side. But, let's get to the heart of the matter.
Of this 90%, the majority are affiliated with, at least, one of the many denominations of Christendom. "Christianity," as we know it, boasts of the most members of any religion and philosophy, even combined and rightly so. But, where's her fruit? Why does the world not profit from her presence as it should? So, now I ask...
Of all those that claim membership in, at least, one of the many denominations of Christendom, how many are sincere believers and how many are hypocrites?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Bonsoir mon ami, my soulmate and I have asked ourselves this same question. The simple reason I believe is arrogance many Christians I feel believe they are better than other people or more superior, observe this thread for instance. How can we proclaim to stand for Christ when we blacken His name with our actions? Waht do you believe the problem is mon ami?
Sora

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't lump Christians together.
I only care about the person. It doesn't matter his or her beliefs.
One of the very few people I place in the greatest esteem as an example of what a human being can achieve, was a Christian. He was the Chaplain at a major east-coast university I attended for my four-year undergraduate education. A wonderful man.
But there is a different type of Christian, the type that think they own this country; that they know the truth; that if we don't accept their faith, we're going to roast forever in a horrific hell that their god has all ready for us heathens.
Unfortunately, we have fair share of these ones.
Bonsoir mon ami, the problem with fundamentalism is the fact that they are blinded by their ego, they have no understanding of what real Christianity is nor do they understand compassion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

If there is only one true God then someone either believes in him or they do not but there are not millions of other gods. Anyone can create an arbitrary number and claim someone doesnt believe in say 9,999 out of 1000 and the other doesnt believe in 1000 so they are only one off from each other out of a 1000. If there is only 1 then everything in the world seperates the lack of belief in the one.Whats more we can be even more general in our approach and go conceptual. Either someone believes there is a power (being) greater than themselves or they do not. Or someone believes the universe basically farted one day and the ripple created life from non-life and in perfect working reproducing order or they believe a higher intelligence created us. There is a huge difference between believing and not believing IMO. And in my experience easily as much arrogance exists from unbelievers. Although I bare them no ill will per se. People should be judged as individuals

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Awwwww, SHUCKS!
Okay...okay...
Hold on there, fella...
How 'bout everyone zooms their screen to maximum level? Then, we'll only be able to see on verse at a time?!
C'mon, man. Will that work?
Puh-leeeeeeeeez!
Lol..as to your question as to how many hypocrites?This may sound callous or at best indifferent but dont know and dont care. I have no use for any person in my life that doesnt enhance it be it believer or unbeliever, hypocrite or not, man or woman, or any other classiification. My goal is to give help when needed and accept help when needed and try to make myself a better neighbor, a better friend, a better family member, a better believer, and a better human being. Anybody whose goals dont allign with mine or worse wish to make my goals harder to achieve can go their way and I will go mine. I just need to remind myself of that at times.(T) PEACE

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
90% or more of the population believes in a higher power. I guess when someone is in a group of ten people it is easier to tell themselves it is the other 9 people that are weird not them! I pity those who cant believe in anyone greater than themselves
You reminded me of a saying that my father used to say, back in the day.

He would say, "There's always one odd one on the bus/train." And if you can't find them, that's because it's you!"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>You reminded me of a saying that my father used to say, back in the day.
He would say, "There's always one odd one on the bus/train." And if you can't find them, that's because it's you!"
Haha...probably more true than anyone wants to admit!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Sora wrote:
<quoted text>fundamentalism is the fact that they are blinded by their ego,
Well I am not disagreeing but would just say keep in mind their numbers are not nearly as high as it seems. The lunatics today are the ones rising to power and getting the press and its because they appeal to the lowest common denominator and use faith to manipulate people. And the Dems use a lot of minority issues to manipulate people. But at the end of the day have any of these people made the faith better or the plight of minorities better? Or better in a way I should say that stands up to scrutiny? Most ppl that vote cant even allign the top 5 platform issues under the correct candidcate. But thump the Bible or go on Jerry Springer and chant "U.S.A...U.S.A" and people will hoot and holler right along side. People want to feel good and feel superior while knowing and doing as little as possible. These people are all fake imo and dont represent the vast majority, they are just the loudest.(T) PEACE

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Red Apples wrote:
Red Apples wrote:
Meekness and Humility.
God's Cure for Pride, Haughtiness, and Egotism.
Why should people be meek and humble? What problems are caused by pride, arrogance, ego, self-exaltation, haughtiness, and self-will? Should you learn self-assertiveness, or should you learn not to be proud and haughty? What does the Bible teach about meekness, humility, gentleness, and lowliness in contrast to pride, selfishness, self-will, and arrogance?
Introduction:
Two of the greatest characters in the Bible possessed in common the qualities we want to study in this lesson.
Numbers 12:3 - Moses was very meek, above all men on face of the earth.
Matthew 11:29,30 - Jesus said, "I am meek and lowly in heart."
These men were two of the greatest characters who ever lived. Both were chosen by God to be givers of His law. Jesus was the Divine Son of God. Surely we should seek to be like these men.
Other verses emphasize the importance of these qualities
Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are the meek (gentle - NKJV), for they shall inherit the earth. Jesus declares a "blessing" (happiness) on those who are meek.
Galatians 5:22,23 - Meekness is one of the fruits of the Spirit - qualities that we must possess if we are led by the Spirit.
Proverbs 16:18,19 - Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly.
If we seek to be happy, to be led by the Spirit, to avoid destruction, and to be like great people such as Moses and Jesus, we need to possess meekness and humility.
It is the purpose of this lesson to study these qualities, what they are, and how they will affect our lives. As we study, we will frequently note Moses and Jesus as examples who teach us about meekness and humility.
http://www.gospelway.com/christianlife/meekne ...
Counter Strike wrote:
I must say I am quite astonished by you and your 180. I never knew you were this way unless you've always been this way but hid it from us. Please reexamine the post I am responding to and be mindful of the accusations you veil so subtly.
So please, don't create an issue where there should be none.
Andrew (Counter_Strike): So it is written, so let it be done.
Red Apples wrote:
Wow, rather ironic response considering you just got done saying quote: "Classic case of stone the messenger".
I just posted the message as the messenger Andrew. And you're reaction ties right in with what the message was.
Your bull in a China shop attitude of "I have the truth, why aren't you people listening" sure isn't being meek and humble Andrew. It's being very prideful and egotistical.
And as far as me doing a 180 goes, I think if you go back and follow my posts you'll see that I haven't changed at all when it comes to this subject and with hypocrisy. In fact I would say it's you that's changed and should look at yourself and how you've changed.
Oh I have changed,but instead of stagnancy I grow, I learn and grow some more. If you want to call it hypocrisy that's your business, has nothing to do with me. If you had bothered too read even a portion of my posts, you would see that I say repeatedly that I'm still learning, but at least I learn. I seek the Kingdom of the Most High rather than sit on my rump waiting for it to be taught to me in church. I want it, so I go and get it. People who wanted to see Yashua (barack be He) walked for miles, even days to come see Him and hear Him teach. They went and they sought.

Really, you can join the line of accusers, that's fine by me RA, but at least you can say you never heard the truth, no excuse for you friend. I have my faults and plenty, but you need to read the scripture you post about others and check if they apply to you first. I never had a problem with you before, always spoke to you with respect, concern and sincerity. I would rather ignore you than to take your aggressive stance as serious.

Andrew (CS).

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been waiting for someone to admit something along the lines of:
"I know that English didn't exist 2000 years ago but it is the only language I understand and I have been calling Him Jesus so long it is difficult to change. BTW, I can't use Hebrew characters on Topix so even 'Yeshua' isn't correct.<smile>"
LOL x 20

Andrew (CS).

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I have changed,but instead of stagnancy I grow, I learn and grow some more. If you want to call it hypocrisy that's your business, has nothing to do with me. If you had bothered too read even a portion of my posts, you would see that I say repeatedly that I'm still learning, but at least I learn. I seek the Kingdom of the Most High rather than sit on my rump waiting for it to be taught to me in church. I want it, so I go and get it. People who wanted to see Yashua (barack be He) walked for miles, even days to come see Him and hear Him teach. They went and they sought.
Really, you can join the line of accusers, that's fine by me RA, but at least you can say you never heard the truth, no excuse for you friend. I have my faults and plenty, but you need to read the scripture you post about others and check if they apply to you first. I never had a problem with you before, always spoke to you with respect, concern and sincerity. I would rather ignore you than to take your aggressive stance as serious.
Andrew (CS).
And you wonder why I posted what I did? Re-read what you just said in your post. In particular the following from you.

Quote: "you can join the line of accusers, that's fine by me RA, but at least you can say you never heard the truth, no excuse for you friend."

Now tell me, you can't see how ego driven that one statement alone is? You act as if you have the truth and nobody else does. And there's no excuse for anyone to say they haven't heard it because by God you're the one preaching it.

This post from you plus many of your other posts are purely ego driven. Full of self pride and no humility at all. And because your ego is driving you you are unable to see why I posted what I did. Which I'll post again.

If you honestly re-read what you posted, than re-read the message I posted (that was written by someone else), that you decided to shoot down rather than looking at what it says, and than looked at what you've been posting and did it with an open mind and an open spiritual heart that's open to correction I think you'd see how it applies to you Andrew.
_______

Meekness and Humility.

God's Cure for Pride, Haughtiness, and Egotism.

Why should people be meek and humble? What problems are caused by pride, arrogance, ego, self-exaltation, haughtiness, and self-will? Should you learn self-assertiveness, or should you learn not to be proud and haughty? What does the Bible teach about meekness, humility, gentleness, and lowliness in contrast to pride, selfishness, self-will, and arrogance?

Introduction:
Two of the greatest characters in the Bible possessed in common the qualities we want to study in this lesson.

Numbers 12:3 - Moses was very meek, above all men on face of the earth.

Matthew 11:29,30 - Jesus said, "I am meek and lowly in heart."

These men were two of the greatest characters who ever lived. Both were chosen by God to be givers of His law. Jesus was the Divine Son of God. Surely we should seek to be like these men.

Other verses emphasize the importance of these qualities

Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are the meek (gentle - NKJV), for they shall inherit the earth. Jesus declares a "blessing" (happiness) on those who are meek.

Galatians 5:22,23 - Meekness is one of the fruits of the Spirit - qualities that we must possess if we are led by the Spirit.

Proverbs 16:18,19 - Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly.

If we seek to be happy, to be led by the Spirit, to avoid destruction, and to be like great people such as Moses and Jesus, we need to possess meekness and humility.

It is the purpose of this lesson to study these qualities, what they are, and how they will affect our lives. As we study, we will frequently note Moses and Jesus as examples who teach us about meekness and humility.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
Andrew (CS).
THAT..........was a very well thought out and sensible post, as well as respectful, I hope he appreciated it.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
If there is only one true God then someone either believes in him or they do not but there are not millions of other gods. Anyone can create an arbitrary number and claim someone doesnt believe in say 9,999 out of 1000 and the other doesnt believe in 1000 so they are only one off from each other out of a 1000. If there is only 1 then everything in the world seperates the lack of belief in the one.Whats more we can be even more general in our approach and go conceptual. Either someone believes there is a power (being) greater than themselves or they do not. Or someone believes the universe basically farted one day and the ripple created life from non-life and in perfect working reproducing order or they believe a higher intelligence created us. There is a huge difference between believing and not believing IMO. And in my experience easily as much arrogance exists from unbelievers. Although I bare them no ill will per se. People should be judged as individuals
Exactly, and that's the wonderful thing about it, we serve a JUST God who will judge everyone individually and not as a group.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

GOoD Morning....

“Blessed are they, That can laugh at themselves,
For they will never cease to be amused.”

Thought for the Day

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

335 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 min UidiotRaceMakeWorldPEace 172,602
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min River Tam 722,580
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min ocxz 115,849
**** jesus loves you **** (Aug '07) 22 min Truths 48,600
reason topix is GOING OUT OF STYLE 32 min Why because u 12
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 53 min Patrick 224,740
Same -sex marriages are of OF THE DEVIL 1 hr passing by 16
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Commander Bunny 257,179
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Liam 533,887