Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#473058 Dec 29, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Not fictional! Not only in book of Job! Btw, your pic is creepy :p
Why do you find a medieval depiction of God creepy ?

According to the religion of Jesus, the Book of Job is a non-historic allegorical tale. In other words, fictional. Like 'The Old Man and the Sea' or 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. Inspirational and spiritual but fictional none the less.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#473059 Dec 29, 2012
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Sin is a man made concept.
Concept? An idea only? What do you call murder then, if not a sin? Or do you just call it murder? And stealing or raping? Now, we have a group of things, what name would you give these group of things, if not sin?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473060 Dec 29, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore my last post, I misread what you said. I checked John and I see what you mean, but wasn't it 5:7 that was left out? About the record in Heaven?
John added the Greek word Logos to Genesis. While the actual philosophical meaning of Logos makes sense, it something not a single Christian understands and altering Genesis is blasphemy according to the Bible itself.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473061 Dec 29, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
I think it still kind of says what it's meant to, wording is just simpler, could that have been just to make it easier for people to read? Besides, it's not like we can't find originals (you know what I mean) anyway.
Yes, we have the Dead Sea Scrolls which prove that the Christian Bible(s) is full of errors. Meanwhile the Hebrew Scriptures have remained all but unchanged in over 2000 years.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#473062 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you find a medieval depiction of God creepy ?
According to the religion of Jesus, the Book of Job is a non-historic allegorical tale. In other words, fictional. Like 'The Old Man and the Sea' or 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. Inspirational and spiritual but fictional none the less.
Sorry, I meant statnin wasn't fictional and that he wasn't only in the Book of Job.
I don't know, it looks like Conan or something close up but far off it looks like a hunching creature...:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#473063 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law vs Love is the debate between the Pharisees and the Saducees. The Saducees evolved into Rabbinical Judaism of which (it seems) Jesus was a participant.
It is much like the current US debate between a Democracy (popular election) and a Republic (Electoral College).
I was reading an exchange when following up on a verse John posted about being set free. And what I found interesting is prior in the verse it Jesus says those who don't believe He is who He says will die in their sins and that isn't what caused the problem. It was when Jesus said a man who sins is a slave to sin and if they were really his disciples they would hold to his teachings (all that said not to sin btw) and the truth would set them free

John 8

31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said,“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

33They answered him,“We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”

34Jesus replied,“I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

This exchange led to them trying to stone him!

People can take what they will from it but for me personally I found it telling.

(T) Peace

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#473064 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
John added the Greek word Logos to Genesis. While the actual philosophical meaning of Logos makes sense, it something not a single Christian understands and altering Genesis is blasphemy according to the Bible itself.
Well, he may have to pay for that one day..

Location hidden

#473065 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Many are called but few are chosen. <smile>
I understand people are not advocating sin but IMO even excusing it is a form of passive condoning. When verses meant for unbelievers on why they need Christ for salvation are taken instead to essentially tell people it is only human to sin I have a real problem with that

I am not going to pretend I don't sin but the truth is there is no excuse to sin, no justification to sin, and no reason if someone really put their mind to it that they would necessarily have to continue sinning. Especially in light of the fact we are no longer under Mosaic Law but are given the two greatest commandments

I don't believe nobody is capable of sticking to loving their neighbor and loving God. It may not be a high percentage but with God's help and knowing the truth I find it hard to believe that nobody can do it. But in any event what I think is possible doesn't matter. It was most certainly what Christ expected of us, taught us to do, and wanted us to do.

Now was this more of a goal than an expectation? Only Christ knows that. But obviously when teaching people you teach them wrong is wrong all the time. You don't tell them, well it is only natural if you sin once in a while. So the message was clear.

And if obedience was guaranteed we would never sin again. I doubt anybody can tell me any sins they had no choice but to commit. And I doubt anyone was stealing bread to feed a starving family. When we sin we basically do so because we give in to the flesh. We had a choice. Now I think Jesus told us things like we must forgive others for the father to forgive us because he knew what the deal was. But no question the benchmark we are to always be striving for is to be perfect like the father is perfect

To me this in a way isn't even about OSAS. It should be agreed upon by everyone the message was we aren't supposed to sin any more. But because this whole argument has come up about how obedience is a consequence of belief not a choice despite glaring evidence to the contrary as we continue to sin, it has now caused people to actually start to take the approach that Jesus didn't really think we were capable of not sinning or that the message for believers is all men sin and fall short instead of what is clear in John that the message is no man born of God will continue to sin

If we start moving away from anything but Jesus taught us we are not supposed to sin any more then IMHO something is very wrong. Whether there is recourse or what most men can or will do or if the sins are automatically forgiven when we do are totally different conversations. But Jesus taught we are not to sin any more. To me, that just simply is not in dispute

(T) Peace

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473066 Dec 29, 2012
"Being a slave to sin"

That is the problem with sin. "Lies beget more lies" in a sense.

There was a medieval Christian story of a man whose glutony in the form of drinking lead him to rape his mother and murder his father.

It was used to show how what may appear to be a "small sin" leads to greater ones.

"half measures avail us nothing" comes to mind.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reading an exchange when following up on a verse John posted about being set free. And what I found interesting is prior in the verse it Jesus says those who don't believe He is who He says will die in their sins and that isn't what caused the problem. It was when Jesus said a man who sins is a slave to sin and if they were really his disciples they would hold to his teachings (all that said not to sin btw) and the truth would set them free
John 8
31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said,“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33They answered him,“We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”
34Jesus replied,“I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
This exchange led to them trying to stone him!
People can take what they will from it but for me personally I found it telling.
(T) Peace

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#473067 Dec 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand people are not advocating sin but IMO even excusing it is a form of passive condoning. When verses meant for unbelievers on why they need Christ for salvation are taken instead to essentially tell people it is only human to sin I have a real problem with that
I am not going to pretend I don't sin but the truth is there is no excuse to sin, no justification to sin, and no reason if someone really put their mind to it that they would necessarily have to continue sinning. Especially in light of the fact we are no longer under Mosaic Law but are given the two greatest commandments
I don't believe nobody is capable of sticking to loving their neighbor and loving God. It may not be a high percentage but with God's help and knowing the truth I find it hard to believe that nobody can do it. But in any event what I think is possible doesn't matter. It was most certainly what Christ expected of us, taught us to do, and wanted us to do.
Now was this more of a goal than an expectation? Only Christ knows that. But obviously when teaching people you teach them wrong is wrong all the time. You don't tell them, well it is only natural if you sin once in a while. So the message was clear.
And if obedience was guaranteed we would never sin again. I doubt anybody can tell me any sins they had no choice but to commit. And I doubt anyone was stealing bread to feed a starving family. When we sin we basically do so because we give in to the flesh. We had a choice. Now I think Jesus told us things like we must forgive others for the father to forgive us because he knew what the deal was. But no question the benchmark we are to always be striving for is to be perfect like the father is perfect
To me this in a way isn't even about OSAS. It should be agreed upon by everyone the message was we aren't supposed to sin any more. But because this whole argument has come up about how obedience is a consequence of belief not a choice despite glaring evidence to the contrary as we continue to sin, it has now caused people to actually start to take the approach that Jesus didn't really think we were capable of not sinning or that the message for believers is all men sin and fall short instead of what is clear in John that the message is no man born of God will continue to sin
If we start moving away from anything but Jesus taught us we are not supposed to sin any more then IMHO something is very wrong. Whether there is recourse or what most men can or will do or if the sins are automatically forgiven when we do are totally different conversations. But Jesus taught we are not to sin any more. To me, that just simply is not in dispute
(T) Peace
Although I find it challenging to stop myself from sinning more often than I'd like, I agree with everything you just said. Thanks for sharing <3

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473068 Dec 29, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, he may have to pay for that one day..
Maybe not.

I am not judging his soul, just his words.

He may have been just trying to explain Genesis in Greek terms.

The Logos with God before creation is, in Greek philosophy, simply stating that the concept (logos) of creation was with God from the begining.
In common parlance:

God had an idea to create the world.

An idea always precedes an intelligen act.

The word Logos does not mean Jesus regardless of the interpretation of Christianity. Just another erroneous twisting of the word IMHO.

One might as well claim the Red Ridinghood's basket is Ben Franklin.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473069 Dec 29, 2012
Agreed.

It is like driving a car. We know we should obey the laws but sometimes don't. We are still speeding even if we don't get caught. If there were no enforcement of traffic laws then people would follow them even less. If the laws were abandoned completely then there would be a pile of corpses on the highways.

We can't be perfect but we can still strive for progress in that direction.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
(T) Peace

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473070 Dec 29, 2012
A man once asked his Rabbi, "Do I have to stop sinning to be a good person ?"

The Rabbi smiled and said, "When you become good person you won't want to sin."

Location hidden

#473071 Dec 29, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I find it challenging to stop myself from sinning more often than I'd like, I agree with everything you just said. Thanks for sharing <3
Thanks

And believe me, I sin as much as the next guy

But it certainly isn't going to help our walk and progress to take the mindset that it is impossible not to sin and everybody does it and we need to decide sinning doesn't affect our righteousness. IMO that is the argument I would use if I was trying to talk myself into sinning, not out of it.

The goal should be to be sinless

I know people will say that is their goal as well. But how can it be if they don't even think it is possible?

I have found two truisms in life in regards to behavior and those are

1) When we raise expectations, we raise results

2) The more we do the right thing, the easier it becomes

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting anyone wants to sin. I am just saying if the two choices are to think:

1) The best I can hope for is to sin less

or

2) I want to be perfect like the father is perfect, just like Jesus told me to be

I just think the second one is probably going to yield better results more times than not

JMO

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#473072 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
Agreed.
It is like driving a car. We know we should obey the laws but sometimes don't. We are still speeding even if we don't get caught.
To me, losing site of that is probably one of the biggest reasons why we sin

Speeding is still speeding whether caught or not

Sin is still sin regardless of what sin or why we did it or what the consequences were or who saw us do it

My sense of justice unfortunately probably also encourages an eye for an eye rationalization when it comes to sin. Or looking at extenuating circumstances. But bottom line is to God, it is still as simple as a sin is a sin. Regardless of the size of the temptation we have the choice as to whether to sin or not and always have a way not to.

I like the speeding analogy. And if cops have heard every excuse in the book for sinning, I am sure there is no excuse God hasn't heard for sinning. But an excuse is still just an excuse and a sin is still a sin

(T) Peace

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#473073 Dec 29, 2012
Drew H wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, and good morning and belated Christmas wishes to you and your family as well.
Good Morning Drew, Thank you.

#473074 Dec 29, 2012
Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord's day i.e: Lord meaning Adonai from Adonis.
Good Morning CS. Concerning Rev 1:10... that word there in the original greek is actually "kyriakos"

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/l...

Based on that I worship The Lord Jesus... not Lord Adonis. So speaking for myself, I will continue saying Lord as I am relating that to The Son of God.

#473075 Dec 29, 2012
Counter_Strike wrote:
<quoted text>
It is really interesting to see how Helenized especially the NT that we have today has become.
Ancient Greek culture indeed has had a heavy influence upon the world and even the Jews of that time... but despite that or any other cultural influences, heaven and earth will pass away before any of Jesus' Words pass away.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473076 Dec 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
To me, losing site of that is probably one of the biggest reasons why we sin
Speeding is still speeding whether caught or not
Sin is still sin regardless of what sin or why we did it or what the consequences were or who saw us do it
My sense of justice unfortunately probably also encourages an eye for an eye rationalization when it comes to sin. Or looking at extenuating circumstances. But bottom line is to God, it is still as simple as a sin is a sin. Regardless of the size of the temptation we have the choice as to whether to sin or not and always have a way not to.
I like the speeding analogy. And if cops have heard every excuse in the book for sinning, I am sure there is no excuse God hasn't heard for sinning. But an excuse is still just an excuse and a sin is still a sin
(T) Peace
Agreed!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#473077 Dec 29, 2012
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Ancient Greek culture indeed has had a heavy influence upon the world and even the Jews of that time... but despite that or any other cultural influences, heaven and earth will pass away before any of Jesus' Words pass away.
Sadly most of them have already passed away.

If everything that Jesus said were written down you would need a tractor trailor to carry the books.

Forunately, we have access to more of the ascribed words of Jesus than anyone from Paul to Luther ever did.

Sadly, Christains are still told not to read them.

Fortunately, I am not a Christian. <smile>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Joe Fortuna 88,380
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Michael 665,472
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 12 min truth 45,848
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 21 min Peter Ross 625
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 41 min Ricky F 184,769
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min onemale 284,623
Liberals say INCEST marriage is okay 58 min guest 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gabriel 977,432
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 2 hr Lonestar 255
More from around the web