|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
You're aware that as a citizen residing overseas, that you maintain your last area of US residence as your de facto residency for a host of boring administrative things (university tuition, child support, taxes if applicable, loads of boring things!) up until or if you return to a new area in the US?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for. Or that you understand the process. Generally, folks doing administrative tasks in the US from overseas either use their current, overseas address plus their last US address for identification purposes, or they keep a US address (like a parent or close friend) for business in the US (which is pretty common). You don't really just get to pick a state and decide to register there, for overseas. I couldn't really register to vote from Maine or Texas if I wanted to, I'm stuck with my last place of residence.
Overseas voters are legally allowed to vote in federal and most local elections. There was a special act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformed_and_Ov... set by executive order outlining and protecting our rights to vote. It's pretty cool.
Like most folks getting outraged on here, I think you just fail to fully understand the processes which are upsetting you.
I said I THINK it should be illegal if you didn't have a residence, a bill utility bill paid, or an existing license that proves you were living in ohio. That or I THINK that they should ge rid of the electoral college. I am aware of many of our stupid laws, you're welcome.
titonton divaunte pants

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

woo-boy wrote:
sorry I'm not real up to speed on wisconsin state politics. LOL! Hey but at least you don't get distracted by all the voter fraud purposely reported on to distract us from what the corporate puppets are really up to.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

titonton divaunte pants wrote:
<quoted text> I said I THINK it should be illegal if you didn't have a residence, a bill utility bill paid, or an existing license that proves you were living in ohio. That or I THINK that they should ge rid of the electoral college. I am aware of many of our stupid laws, you're welcome.
I can't really see a way you would legally prove state of last residence without...well, proof of the state of last residence!

So you would like to make registering without proof of last residence illegal, despite the fact that it wouldn't currently be possible to register legally without proof of your last state of residence?

And your initial complaint was that a woman was helping overseas residents gain this proof, which you feel should be required?

I am simply in awe of both your knowledge of voting processes and your enlightened commentary on them.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

As manufacturing bounces back from recession, unions are left behind
By Jim Tankersley, Published: January 16

Last July was a good month for factory workers in Anderson, Ind., where a Honda parts supplier announced plans to build a new plant and create up to 325 jobs. But it was a grim month in the Cleveland suburbs, where an industrial plastics firm told the state of Ohio it was closing a plant and laying off 150 people.

Nearly all of the Ohio workers belonged to a labor union. Workers at the Indiana plant don’t. Their fates fit a post-recession pattern: American factories are hiring again, but they’re not hiring union members.

U.S. manufacturers have added a half-million new workers since the end of 2009, making the sector one of the few bright spots in an otherwise weak recovery. And yet there were 4 percent fewer union factory workers in 2012 than there were in 2010, according to federal survey data. On balance, all of the job gains in manufacturing have been non-union.

The trend underscores a central conundrum in the “manufacturing renaissance” that President Obama loves to tout as an economic accomplishment: The new manufacturing jobs are different from the ones that delivered millions of American workers a ticket to the middle class over the past half-century.

It used to be that factory jobs paid substantially better than other jobs in the private sector, particularly for workers who didn’t go to college. That’s less true today, especially for non-union workers in the industry, who earn salaries that are about 7 percent lower than similar workers who are represented by a union.

By one measure — average hourly earnings — a typical manufacturing worker now earns less than a typical private-sector worker of any industry. Throughout the 30 years before the recession, the reverse was the case.

The changes have very likely allowed U.S. manufacturers to compete better in the global economy, and in the process, to start hiring again. Conservative economists say that as U.S. companies pay workers less, the firms’ costs go down and they become more attractive to investors.

Unions, contends James Sherk, a senior policy analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation, have not been able to sell themselves as a “value proposition” in the manufacturing sector.“Unionized firms are not getting the investment,” he said.“Where investors see the opportunity is non-unionized firms.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...
titonton divaunte pants

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't really see a way you would legally prove state of last residence without...well, proof of the state of last residence!
So you would like to make registering without proof of last residence illegal, despite the fact that it wouldn't currently be possible to register legally without proof of your last state of residence?
And your initial complaint was that a woman was helping overseas residents gain this proof, which you feel should be required?
I am simply in awe of both your knowledge of voting processes and your enlightened commentary on them.
no. You can't read. I said she helped them obtain identification and the laws are too easy to break and get away with no investigation.
Millions of out of state citizens abuse californias medical cannabis laws the same way. Probably their election laws too. Or maybe there is an investigation....
titonton divaunte pants

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
As manufacturing bounces back from recession, unions are left behind
By Jim Tankersley, Published: January 16
Last July was a good month for factory workers in Anderson, Ind., where a Honda parts supplier announced plans to build a new plant and create up to 325 jobs. But it was a grim month in the Cleveland suburbs, where an industrial plastics firm told the state of Ohio it was closing a plant and laying off 150 people.
Nearly all of the Ohio workers belonged to a labor union. Workers at the Indiana plant don’t. Their fates fit a post-recession pattern: American factories are hiring again, but they’re not hiring union members.
U.S. manufacturers have added a half-million new workers since the end of 2009, making the sector one of the few bright spots in an otherwise weak recovery. And yet there were 4 percent fewer union factory workers in 2012 than there were in 2010, according to federal survey data. On balance, all of the job gains in manufacturing have been non-union.
The trend underscores a central conundrum in the “manufacturing renaissance” that President Obama loves to tout as an economic accomplishment: The new manufacturing jobs are different from the ones that delivered millions of American workers a ticket to the middle class over the past half-century.
It used to be that factory jobs paid substantially better than other jobs in the private sector, particularly for workers who didn’t go to college. That’s less true today, especially for non-union workers in the industry, who earn salaries that are about 7 percent lower than similar workers who are represented by a union.
By one measure — average hourly earnings — a typical manufacturing worker now earns less than a typical private-sector worker of any industry. Throughout the 30 years before the recession, the reverse was the case.
The changes have very likely allowed U.S. manufacturers to compete better in the global economy, and in the process, to start hiring again. Conservative economists say that as U.S. companies pay workers less, the firms’ costs go down and they become more attractive to investors.
Unions, contends James Sherk, a senior policy analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation, have not been able to sell themselves as a “value proposition” in the manufacturing sector.“Unionized firms are not getting the investment,” he said.“Where investors see the opportunity is non-unionized firms.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...
the same thing happens here too. Corporations close union plants in say, tennessee, and open a non union plant for the same production in ohio. 10 years later it moves to china ( on our dollar if they are big enough for a govt. bailout.)
See, the snow brush made in china is 10 dollars less than the one "made" in the usa ( usually the whole thing is made in china anyway and we "insource" an awesome job for an american. Like putting a sticker on every snow brush from the china plant that says made in the usa.)
That's the corporate plan for the world. China.
titonton divaunte pants

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. ;-)
are you thanking them for getting their id.s in a swing state this time?
I wouldn't care at all how its done if there weren't an electoral college. President Gore and first lady Tipper agree, for other reasons too.
nichyha

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

33A
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text> the same thing happens here too. Corporations close union plants in say, tennessee, and open a non union plant for the same production in ohio. 10 years later it moves to china ( on our dollar if they are big enough for a govt. bailout.)
See, the snow brush made in china is 10 dollars less than the one "made" in the usa ( usually the whole thing is made in china anyway and we "insource" an awesome job for an american. Like putting a sticker on every snow brush from the china plant that says made in the usa.)
That's the corporate plan for the world. China.
You can't blame corporations. Instead, blame the American consumer.

Companies only manufacture what they can sell. An American is not going to buy a snow brush for $10.00 if he can get the same brush for $4.00 made somewhere else. Americans don't care, as long as they can get it cheap.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't blame corporations. Instead, blame the American consumer.
Companies only manufacture what they can sell. An American is not going to buy a snow brush for $10.00 if he can get the same brush for $4.00 made somewhere else. Americans don't care, as long as they can get it cheap.
You nailed it. And some people wonder why so many jobs have gone overseas. What choice does 98% of the intelligent consumers have? Especially in these sad times.
Justitia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Not cool to make people and their children suffer this is not ok. Let the powers that be decide if this is ok. It is not ok to make people suffer. It is not ok to make money off of another persons suffering.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You nailed it. And some people wonder why so many jobs have gone overseas. What choice does 98% of the intelligent consumers have? Especially in these sad times.
So true. If we (as some suggested) have an import tax, that means Americans--especially poorer Americans, will have to do with less. So are we better off with Americans having less in product or Americans having less in employment?
titonton divaunte pants

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You nailed it. And some people wonder why so many jobs have gone overseas. What choice does 98% of the intelligent consumers have? Especially in these sad times.
why? What are we supposed to do, spend money we don't have? Is it our fault gas costs so much too? I blame our stupid set of corporate laws that give huge corporations an unfair advantage and leave any real us competition that would maybe compete, drowning in red tape.
Stupid in Mansfield

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Hey Pants! Corporations are "people" too! mit said so!
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. If we (as some suggested) have an import tax, that means Americans--especially poorer Americans, will have to do with less. So are we better off with Americans having less in product or Americans having less in employment?
But, if you only consider price, what prevents a "race to the bottom", where the poorest, most oppressed workers set the pay standard for the rest of us?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>why? What are we supposed to do, spend money we don't have? Is it our fault gas costs so much too? I blame our stupid set of corporate laws that give huge corporations an unfair advantage and leave any real us competition that would maybe compete, drowning in red tape.
I think the EPA has saddled our refineries with so many regulations that it has to effect the price we pay at the pumps. Add to that the devaluing of our US dollar, the price of gas will never go below $3.00 per gallon again until we get some real leadership in this country.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the EPA has saddled our refineries with so many regulations that it has to effect the price we pay at the pumps. Add to that the devaluing of our US dollar, the price of gas will never go below $3.00 per gallon again until we get some real leadership in this country.
thank Nixon for that.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.. same reason corn will never drop below 5 bucks ever again now. More so to the devaluation of the dollar.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Justitia wrote:
Not cool to make people and their children suffer this is not ok. Let the powers that be decide if this is ok. It is not ok to make people suffer. It is not ok to make money off of another persons suffering.
I understand your words but I'm not sure that I understand the msg.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

UdintBuildThat wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.. same reason corn will never drop below 5 bucks ever again now. More so to the devaluation of the dollar.
yeap and we can thank the Liberal G.W. Bush too just like Bruce Bartlett said In the Imposter, How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy and if go to Chapter 9 and he Starts out and say "George W. Bush's best known domesitc policy may be his relentless effort to cut taxes. Yet Ironically, he may ultimatelly be responsible for enactment of the largest tax increase in American history. It may not come on his watch, but it is inevitable and will be the direct results of Bush's Polices"

if you goto Chapter 5, which is titled "The Worst Record on Trade since Hoover" made things worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••