1,527 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

#41222 May 24, 2013
My business is a known Red Cross acceptance site. You have no idea. I see Red Cross funding all the time. When you get a couple that have lost their home to a fire, they use vouchers way longer than a month. The hotel next door is 1/2 short term vacancy and 1/2 long term (indeterminate stays.) If something happens in SW OKC, the Red Cross puts them up there.

So long term Red Cross acceptance by a business requires the business to be able to accept the shortage in cash flow since your just being paid once a month. Not every business can do that or WILL do that. In fact usually the Red Cross is so grateful that you will accept their terms. That's why they will use you over and over.
Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

#41223 May 24, 2013
Because it's not only Red Cross that you only get paid once a month. My business has gone to over 1/2 debit and credit card charges. You also only get the money once a month. And you have to pay them. So it' kinda of touchy when your payroll and food cost supplies are once a week. So really a disaster likes this puts a strain on not just the people that lost homes, it puts strains on people that service the area.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41224 May 24, 2013
Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just saying that people give in the first heat of a disaster but lose interest later. We're not talking about even a month. We're talking really long term. So that SNAP funding, and all other funding for people that may be on the edge of poverty have fully gone over the edge.
I'm not sure what SNAP has to do with it, but I'll be more than happy what The American Red Cross did for my family in our time of need.

We were hit by the May 10th tornado 3 years ago, the one that flattened the Loves on I-40 and Choctaw Rd. We live on only two acres of land, and we bulldozed at least 25 county dump trucks full of damage to the curb, and that didn't include our house.
We were without electric power for about 10 days. The reason I brought up electric is because that is the day RC showed up.
They pulled up in my driveway in there $80,000 truck and gave me a pair of gloves and two trash bags (they where the good ones I'll give them that). That was the LAST I saw of them. But I'm not complaining, because I'm not big on excepting charity, but if I had to do it over again, I would have told them to keep it, because if that is all you are giving out, someone else needs it more than I do.

Know my point about them as a charity is; I'll be willing to bet that someone donated well over $100 so that they give $8 worth of stuff, and it would not surprise me if that stuff was donated to them.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41225 May 24, 2013
I'm sorry ACCEPTING not EXCEPTING.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41226 May 24, 2013
Oh and Thank you Oklahoma County for the help!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#41227 May 24, 2013
Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew these areas there's not a lot of pools there in the first place. The homes that were more upscale that were wiped out were around SW 145th starting at May Ave. They have extra large lots with larger homes built on them. The guys that own the Mama Lou's restaurants had homes there that were wiped out. But the ones directly impacted in Moore were older homes. The people living there didn't have much money to start with. The rebuilt homes that were taken out a second time were in the $120's price range but originally cost in the $50 thousand or $60 thousand price range.
==========
My idea was a combining of pool and shelter for those who have pools and those like Tamara alluded to who will put in a pool and then later wish they had put in a shelter or cellar instead.

Don't know how many pools Tamara is talking about but my idea requires an existing pool or obviously someone wanting a pool who is able to install one.

I'm open to improvements on ideas or new ones to solve the shelter problem.
Maddy

United States

#41228 May 24, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure what SNAP has to do with it, but I'll be more than happy what The American Red Cross did for my family in our time of need.
We were hit by the May 10th tornado 3 years ago, the one that flattened the Loves on I-40 and Choctaw Rd. We live on only two acres of land, and we bulldozed at least 25 county dump trucks full of damage to the curb, and that didn't include our house.
We were without electric power for about 10 days. The reason I brought up electric is because that is the day RC showed up.
They pulled up in my driveway in there $80,000 truck and gave me a pair of gloves and two trash bags (they where the good ones I'll give them that). That was the LAST I saw of them. But I'm not complaining, because I'm not big on excepting charity, but if I had to do it over again, I would have told them to keep it, because if that is all you are giving out, someone else needs it more than I do.
Know my point about them as a charity is; I'll be willing to bet that someone donated well over $100 so that they give $8 worth of stuff, and it would not surprise me if that stuff was donated to them.
Maybe that's why MistyGirl said she and her husband picked up supplies donations with their flatbed trailer and took it to a truck that was going to OKC on the very same day the tornado hit. When she posted that I thought to myself she must like the extra work or something because it would be soooo much easier just to text or go on RC's website and donate.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#41229 May 24, 2013
Maddy wrote:
Russia hit by a 8.2 earthquake.
8.3 far East Russia in Sea of Okhotsk about 4400 miles East of Moscow. No damage reported.
Maddy

United States

#41230 May 24, 2013
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
My idea was a combining of pool and shelter for those who have pools and those like Tamara alluded to who will put in a pool and then later wish they had put in a shelter or cellar instead.
Don't know how many pools Tamara is talking about but my idea requires an existing pool or obviously someone wanting a pool who is able to install one.
I don't understand, how would you combine a storm shelter and a pool? Wouldn't think that would be a very capable pairing, lol?
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41231 May 24, 2013
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
My advise is to plan for the future. I know that being underground is the best, but you might be or may be come unable to get underground. We chose above ground for that reason, and it makes a great safe too.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41232 May 24, 2013
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
8.3 far East Russia in Sea of Okhotsk about 4400 miles East of Moscow. No damage reported.
Get your surf boards ready.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41233 May 24, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that's why MistyGirl said she and her husband picked up supplies donations with their flatbed trailer and took it to a truck that was going to OKC on the very same day the tornado hit. When she posted that I thought to myself she must like the extra work or something because it would be soooo much easier just to text or go on RC's website and donate.
I'm not saying don't give to them, and for some people it may be the only way they can give, but if you want your money to be used the best way it can, there are better choices.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#41234 May 24, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand, how would you combine
a storm shelter and a pool?
Okies are being instructed to carry pockets
full of rocks for protection against tornado winds.
Combined with jumping into a swimming pool
when a tornado is sited, it will be effective.

Oklahoma becomes a better place with each tornado.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41235 May 24, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>

Oklahoma becomes a better place with each tornado.
Yes it does. Because Oklahomans learn how to care of their own.
Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

#41236 May 24, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure what SNAP has to do with it, but I'll be more than happy what The American Red Cross did for my family in our time of need.
Donated cars? Really? This is the early days. You not only have those homes that were obliterated. You have homes in the surrounding area with lots of damages too. Plus we just had those nasty hail storms last week that had a lot of car and roof and house damage..

Plus I have roof damage and a lot of hail damage. So I don't know anyone that doesn't have some kind of claim waiting. Plus you have employers scrambling right now to fill those employee slots that are not working while they shift through the debris and deal with all the things necessary to get some kind of order in their life. As well as covering their pay as well as paying another employee to fill their shift.

Plus you can bet a certain percentage of those living in the homes in Moore are going to be on welfare if they weren't already.

So those saying that the state can handle it are crazy. The State didn't handle your disaster. It takes the combined forces of the Federal Government.

Heck, we just got notified by the insurance company that carries the insurance on the restaurant. They want to do an audit of our sales since party of the policy is to replace sales for a certain period of time if we were no longer operational. You can bet we are getting a premium increase.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#41237 May 24, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does. Because Oklahomans learn how to care of their own.
That's the point ' how to care of their own '
ain't right English. No wonder Okieland is
a backward place.

It would have been better left to the Indians.
Zane

United States

#41238 May 24, 2013
Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>

Heck, we just got notified by the insurance company that carries the insurance on the restaurant. They want to do an audit of our sales since party of the policy is to replace sales for a certain period of time if we were no longer operational. You can bet we are getting a premium increase.
Why are you surprised they want to do an audit? How else would you suggest they 'replace' lost sales if your business is closed due to a storm damage?

Guess you were looking for a blank check like the federal government wants from all taxpayers with no boundaries?

"Here's your sign!"

*B.E., Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

#41239 May 24, 2013
Zane wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you surprised they want to do an audit? How else would you suggest they 'replace' lost sales if your business is closed due to a storm damage?
Guess you were looking for a blank check like the federal government wants from all taxpayers with no boundaries?
"Here's your sign!"
*B.E., Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Your a dip. In case you didn't notice gas prices are up. They charge for supplies being delivered by the cost of gas. All of these things force businesses to raise prices. You know we have fixed costs. Have to pay the bills...not a charity.

My husband read that we have some of the highest gas prices in the Nation..wonder why? LOL

The insurance company is not going to just single me out...no siree...You all will pay too...with insurance premiums.. costs of food and other purchases...and kicking in with some state tax money...How long has it been since you got a raise?
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41240 May 24, 2013
Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
Donated cars? Really? This is the early days. You not only have those homes that were obliterated. You have homes in the surrounding area with lots of damages too. Plus we just had those nasty hail storms last week that had a lot of car and roof and house damage..
Plus I have roof damage and a lot of hail damage. So I don't know anyone that doesn't have some kind of claim waiting. Plus you have employers scrambling right now to fill those employee slots that are not working while they shift through the debris and deal with all the things necessary to get some kind of order in their life. As well as covering their pay as well as paying another employee to fill their shift.
Plus you can bet a certain percentage of those living in the homes in Moore are going to be on welfare if they weren't already.
So those saying that the state can handle it are crazy. The State didn't handle your disaster. It takes the combined forces of the Federal Government.
And if you don't agree with what they want to pay. You will have to do what they refer to as, arbitration before you can file suit against them. Check your policy. It is a stall tactic, because the longer they can hold on to YOUR money, the more they make off of it. When it happens to you call Dokes and ask him why Oklahoma allows this practice, because they have the power to stop it. If he is honest he will tell you it is because Big Insurance donates to our politician's election campaigns.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#41241 May 24, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the point ' how to care of their own '
ain't right English. No wonder Okieland is
a backward place.
It would have been better left to the Indians.
I is sorry Mr. I don't know what quotation marks looks like. You should sue The University of Craig James.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Hillary 2016 168,516
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 9 min Stupid Democrats 4,545
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 13 min Another Damn Liberal 68,800
Who's got your vote in the Tennessee Senate rac... 39 min Pete 3,366
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Obama Bitches 99,956
California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr Blazing 420 All Day 16,014
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 3 hr Aggie23 59,851
More from around the web