OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, Sta...

OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Question 756

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 11, 2010

1,604 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Marcus

United States

#40478 May 21, 2013
Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, who is not seeking reelection in 2016, says his tornado-ravaged state shouldn't receive federal disaster without offsetting budget cuts.

CQ Roll Call reports that Coburn said he would "absolutely" demand offsets for any federal aid that Congress provides. Coburn, a doctor, added that it is too early to guess at a damage toll.
Marcus

United States

#40479 May 21, 2013
A good place to start the offset is coburn salary and defense.
Marcus

United States

#40480 May 21, 2013
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) said just hours after a major tornado ravaged his state that he would use the federal relief funds as a cudgel to force Democrats into accepting more spending cuts to programs like Social Security and Medicare.

The Oklahoma Republican revealed his plans Monday night, speaking to a reporter for CQ.com , a subscription-only service. CQ’s public-facing side reported on the comments later that night, saying Coburn will “absolutely” demand spending cuts to offset his state’s need for federal aid after Monday’s devastating tornadoes.

Coburn is one of 36 Republican members of the Senate who voted against disaster relief aid after Superstorm Sandy engulfed most of the eastern seaboard. A total of 67 Republicans in the House joined Coburn and his Senate colleagues in voting against funding Sandy relief aid. Coburn also notably tried to block a bill in 2010 that helped 9/11 first responders pay their lingering medical bills from the pollution they inhaled after that disaster.

FEMA says that only two states in the union with more emergency delcarations on record than Oklahoma are Texas and California, two of the most populous regions of the country. By contrast, Oklahoma has just over 3.8 million people, whereas Texas has over 26 million, and over 38 million live in California.
——
Packing Heat

United States

#40481 May 21, 2013
How about offsetting it with cuts from unwarranted oil tax breaks like depletion allowances and excess drilling deductions.

Let's see what the senator from Exxon/Mobil has to say about that offset.
JAG

United States

#40482 May 21, 2013
Republican Congress people all want to dump FEMA until their state has an emergency declarations. Then it is send the federal money and cut from other programs.
Jesse

United States

#40483 May 21, 2013
Here we have the Good Senator from Oklahoma standing on a pile of children's corpses (dead children in Oklahoma, offspring of his constituents!) and playing Republican politics rather than simply doing his job to represent Oklahoma in the Senate and look out for their interests. I guess it's obvious that Mr. Coburn is more concerned with the interests of the Koch Brothers, and their fellow One Percent weasels, than he is in his own constituents...

Driftglass used to say, "You can be a good American, or a good Republican, but you can't be both."

I think Coburn proves that you can be a good Oklahoman, or a good Republican, but you can't both...
TAMARA

United States

#40484 May 21, 2013
My recommendation: Coburn should support disaster relief for tornado-ravaged Oklahoma only if it's offset by spending cuts to disaster relief for tornado-ravaged Oklahoma. A perfect storm!
So What

Mcloud, OK

#40485 May 21, 2013
Bluebird wrote:
<quoted text>
Any FEMA building is open to public use in a emergency is it not?
Yes. that is why it would not be allowed in heavily populated areas.
Mandy

United States

#40486 May 21, 2013
He said he's going to retire in 2016. There's nothing the voters can do to him. He'll probably get a cushy job lobbying for whatever group approves of that kind of heartlessness enough to line his pockets with silver. God knows there are plenty of them.
Stephen

United States

#40487 May 21, 2013
Why would his constituents necessarily care? It sounds like he wants to cut spending AFTER Oklahoma gets theirs, not before. Don't get me wrong: send them every penny they need. It isn't their fault Coburn is a grade-A asshole (well...a little. At least some of them voted for this prick). But really, I have learned to lower my expectations when it comes to people's long-term memory or sense of irony.
Justic

United States

#40488 May 21, 2013
OK Senator, I'm with you. No aid for Oklahomans. Glad to see you are willing to let your constituents suffer and do without housing, clothing, medical care and the basic nessecities because of your idealogue. At least you aren't a hypocrite.
But you can keep your lousy hands off my social security. Why don't you tax the rich and wealthy contributors of your campaigns, then you wouldn't have to touch my social security to help your voters.
PS:I hope they vote your stupid ass out of office the next chance they get. You aren't worth spit in my opinion. Just another ignorant TeaBagger.
Donnie

United States

#40489 May 21, 2013
He also voted repeatedly for unbridled spending on a fake war. Coburn's priorities are character revealing.
Bluebird

United States

#40490 May 21, 2013
he Dems should go along with this idiot but they won't. They have to much empathy for those that need help. Not so for the Cold Republican tEaBaggers who I question that they even have a heart.
Dems should not vote for aid until the taxes are reinstituted on the wealthy who haven't been paying their fair share for many years. I don't want to hear the canard that they are paying most of the taxes. Paul Harvey momment. They receive most of the money and it doesn't have a thing to do with how much they work. They lie cheat and steal to get that money because of the tax code that is written just for them in the first place.
Dempsey

United States

#40491 May 21, 2013
He doesn't 'cut just to cut'. If he did, we wouldn't still be in Iraq and Afghanistan, or anywhere else in foreign countries.
Jimbo

United States

#40492 May 21, 2013
I wonder if he realizes that many of the people on SS that are on disability went through some kind of tragady to get to be disabled, maybe not as horrific but still a tragady of some kind. Maybe he should wait to get our money to help his people when all the people of Sandy have been helped first, you the saying first come first serve or maybe they can set up a tent or trailor city and he move into one of them to show he is on the level field as the ones he supports better yet serves
Jangles

United States

#40493 May 21, 2013
they get more federal aid in Oklahoma than any other states not named California and TExazz(Rick Perry sure knows how to hold his hand out and talks about seceding? what a buffoon and texans are even dumber for listening to that idiiot)so I think they should go it alone and pay for their own misfortunes.

Dems need to be as heartless as these lousy TeaBaggers. They need to learn how to play that game.
So What

Mcloud, OK

#40494 May 21, 2013
Marcus wrote:
A good place to start the offset is coburn salary and defense.
Did someone say cut DEFENSE? We only spend 60% of federal funds on defense, do you really think we should cut it anymore?
Dawn

United States

#40495 May 21, 2013
I'd like to see the Senator PERSONALLY tell those affected by the tornado that he's sorry, but unless spending cuts can be found, they are shit out of luck !!! Perhaps a local gym that's still standing would be available for that discussion.

He doubt he has the guts unless he had protection detail covering his ass.
Zane

United States

#40496 May 21, 2013
Really, citizens of Oklahoma, this is the person you want to represent you ? because from the coverage of the tornado on tv you all seem so caring and empathetic for your neighbors and fellow citizens, I can't believe that those feeling stop at the state line of Oklahoma and he will be your senator until 2017
Dr Jones

United States

#40497 May 21, 2013
impossible to remove an oil funded Senator. Impossible. They leave when the energy sector has finished with them.
If you look real close, you can see the strings attached to his mouth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Julia 289,294
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 59 min ChicknButt 112,334
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 hr Another Damn Liberal 101,928
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) 9 hr FedUp 1,087
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) Sep 22 mEAT me in st louie 110,171
Election Who's got your vote for Congress in Kentucky's ... (Dec '14) Sep 21 Katie 10
Election Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) Sep 21 Curious 8,714
More from around the web