Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virginia in 2010?

Posted in the Citizen Sound-Off Forum

Comments (Page 507)

Showing posts 10,121 - 10,140 of53,451
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Monroe

Summersville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

There IS a "compelling moral case for sustained US backing" of Israel.
C O A L

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Monroe wrote:
GREAT another guy with proof. So maybe -- pick apart that article. Even just a paragraph. I know you can beat that Harvard dude I got faith LOL.
hope

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

C O A L wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very long - I'll just give you a snip. They tried to publish this in US but had to go to England ...
THE ISRAEL LOBBY AND U.S. FOREIGN POLICY
John J. Mearsheimer
University of Chicago
Stephen M. Walt
Harvard University
March 2006
RWP06&#8208;011
An edited and reworked version of this paper was published in the London Review
of
Books Vol. 28, No. 6 (March 23, 2006), and is available online at www.lrb.co.uk
THE ISRAEL LOBBY AND U.S. FOREIGN POLICY
The U.S. national interest should be the primary object of American foreign
policy. For the past several decades, however, and especially since the Six Day War in 1967, the centerpiece of U.S. Middle East policy has been its relationship
with Israel. The combination of unwavering U.S. support for Israel and the
related effort to spread democracy throughout the region has inflamed Arab and
Islamic opinion and jeopardized U.S. security.
This situation has no equal in American political history. Why has the United
States been willing to set aside its own security in order to advance the intere
sts of another state? One might assume that the bond between the two countries is
based on shared strategic interests or compelling moral imperatives. As we
show below, however, neither of those explanations can account for the
remarkable level of material and diplomatic support that the United States
provides to Israel.
Instead, the overall thrust of U.S. policy in the region is due almost entirely
to U.S. domestic politics, and especially to the activities of the “Israel Lobby.”
Other special interest groups have managed to skew U.S. foreign policy in directions
they favored, but no lobby has managed to divert U.S. foreign policy as far from
what the American national interest would otherwise suggest, while
simultaneously convincing Americans that U.S. and Israeli interests are
essentially identical.1
In the pages that follow, we describe how the Lobby has accomplished this feat,
and how its activities have shaped America’s actions in this critical region.
Given the strategic importance of the Middle East and its potential impact on
others, both Americans and non&#8208;Americans need to understand and address the
Lobby’s influence on U.S. policy.
Some readers will find this analysis disturbing, but the facts recounted here are not in serious dispute among scholars. Indeed, our account relies heavily on the
work of Israeli scholars and journalists, who deserve great credit for shedding
light on these issues.
THE GREAT BENEFACTOR
Since the October War in 1973, Washington has provided Israel with a level of
support dwarfing the amounts provided to any other state. It has been the
largest annual recipient of direct U.S. economic and military assistance since 1976
and the largest total recipient since World War II. Total direct U.S. aid to Israel
amounts to well over $140 billion in 2003 dollars.2 Israel receives about $3 billion
in direct foreign assistance each year, which is roughly one&#8208;fifth of America’s
foreign aid budget. In per capita terms, the United States gives each Israeli a
direct subsidy worth about $500 per year.
3 This largesse is especially striking
when one realizes that Israel is now a wealthy industrial state with a per capita
income roughly equal to South Korea or Spain.4 ....
This extraordinary generosity might be understandable if Israel were a vital
strategic asset or if there were a compelling moral case for sustained U.S.
backing. But neither rationale is convincing.
A STRATEGIC LIABILITY ..... MUCH MORE ...
lol i love the terms "spreading democracy" and "compelling moral imperatives" how sick.

thanks for this post, it's riveting (no sarcasm)
hope

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

MindlessFoxBot wrote:
I think I will leave our security to our military leaders who know Israels strategic importance to our country. We have many "armchair generals" who think they know what is best, yet they have no inside knowledge and usually no military experience. That so called "study" is anti-Semite "wanna be general" nonsense.
you're stupid! ahaha! you don't know anything, especially about US foreign policy/military.

antisemitism means hating on people(jews) based on their ethnicity or religious beliefs. Israel is not a person or group of people. it is a nation state and can be hated without antisemitic notions.
C O A L

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

hope wrote:
<quoted text>
you're stupid! ahaha! you don't know anything, especially about US foreign policy/military.
antisemitism means hating on people(jews) based on their ethnicity or religious beliefs. Israel is not a person or group of people. it is a nation state and can be hated without antisemitic notions.
Yep - the article was on loving America !!!!
You know since the 1960 just about the only terrorism I can find (Arafat - plane hijackings, Lebanon Barracks, 911 etc etc etc) against the USA has often been as a protest against Palestine treatment (in part). We didn't have the IRA, the Red Brigade -- how many TRILLIONS have we spent on JUST THE USAs' security for terrorism. Frankly my money could be put to better things?
wow

Kermit, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

interesting info
hope

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Monroe wrote:
lets hear this moral case you speak of? I really want to know what you think, the absurdities astound me.
hope

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

C O A L wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep - the article was on loving America !!!!
You know since the 1960 just about the only terrorism I can find (Arafat - plane hijackings, Lebanon Barracks, 911 etc etc etc) against the USA has often been as a protest against Palestine treatment (in part). We didn't have the IRA, the Red Brigade -- how many TRILLIONS have we spent on JUST THE USAs' security for terrorism. Frankly my money could be put to better things?
yeah...education or health care or solving poverty/world hunger, alas, it is going into the pockets of some bourgeois a-holes.

have you read any Chomsky on the USA and terrorism? it's all nonsense. the USA has been using the term to manipulate the american citizens into passively accepting this "war on terror" and the slaughtering of people in the Middle East.

1986- Reagan/Libya bombing >>check it out

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Keep whining about Israel all you want, USA support isnt going anywhere. Go Israel!
truth2

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Horsesh!t,let's call it the way it is. It's the religious right. See the belief is that when God returns to earth he will touch down in Israel and the jews want the entire territory to be under the flag of his 'chosen people'. The religious fools are mostly in the southern bible belt. The crooked politicians have jumped on the bandwagon strictly to get the bible belt votes. In other words they have sold us out in order to keep their fat cat jobs.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

hope wrote:
good news everyone! Israel is finally being told to get out of Palestine!
http://rt.com/news/un-israel-remove-settlemen...
And this means what to you? Are you Palestinian? Idiot. Blab, Blab, Blab. You don't even know what you are talking about, you watch too much news...
wow

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Obama
C O A L

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I saw in another thread the "Soros" threat mentioned --

I also worry when ANY big money works to sway opinion. However is it possible that unlike "The Brothers" - who have been around 'hidden' for 30 years funding things like Heritage, Cato and making huge donations --
Sorros funds nothing big or well know, has maybe been doing it 10 years and spends pennies compared to the Brothers. Also Soros documents and publishes what he supports and doesn't hide - he gives interviews. Like comparing Apples and Oranges isn't it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
C O A L

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

In case this bad weather has people staying indoors here is an hour show. I love to learn so if anybody has anything like this on Soros -- don't be shy -- share?

Since: Jan 13

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text> What a joke. You tell me to read the news and then you say the newtown killer didn't use an assault rifle? http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/newto... . You don't even believe the truth. The medical examiner said every victim was hit multiple times with rounds from that weapon. I hope you break gun laws because a nut job like you doesn't need a gun.
No, he said he didn't know at first. He also had done "thousands" of autopsies like that (in a small town doubtful) but couldn't answer the simplest questions about the incident. You're an idiot who believes anything mass media puts out there but when they've all come out and retracted the fact he even used it, that it was shown on camera being pulled from the trunk of a car not even registered to him, you outright lie. NBC reported a couple days after the shooting and the rest did as well. It's pretty clear you're either a anti-gun anti-individual liberties nazi and possibly mentally disabled. I serve my country in the Army while you sit on your little computer probably in your Mom's basement trolling on Topix. A "gun law" is something I can't break moron, I get to use the good stuff EVERY day and always will even under the new nazi laws IF they even get passed. Chew on that a bit dummy til it sinks in how foolish you are.
C O A L

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

C O A L wrote:
In case this bad weather has people staying indoors here is an hour show. I love to learn so if anybody has anything like this on Soros -- don't be shy -- share?
IF I recall correctly - Bloomberg Business Reporter Al Hunt said the Brothers made Soros look like a PIKER?
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/70603974-charl...
Ignorance

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

daDookieJew wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he said he didn't know at first. He also had done "thousands" of autopsies like that (in a small town doubtful) but couldn't answer the simplest questions about the incident. You're an idiot who believes anything mass media puts out there but when they've all come out and retracted the fact he even used it, that it was shown on camera being pulled from the trunk of a car not even registered to him, you outright lie. NBC reported a couple days after the shooting and the rest did as well. It's pretty clear you're either a anti-gun anti-individual liberties nazi and possibly mentally disabled. I serve my country in the Army while you sit on your little computer probably in your Mom's basement trolling on Topix. A "gun law" is something I can't break moron, I get to use the good stuff EVERY day and always will even under the new nazi laws IF they even get passed. Chew on that a bit dummy til it sinks in how foolish you are.
Unlike you I will post facts. I will then cite my sources. I won't disrespect the families that lost children.

"State police seized four guns when they responded to the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December, according to state police.

Police released a news release on Tuesday, saying they provided details in news conferences but wanted to eliminate any confusion or misinformation.

Police said they found a Bushmaster .223 caliber model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips, a Glock 10-mm handgun and a Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun inside the school.

Police identified Adam Lanza as the gunman who shot and killed 20 first graders and six staff members.

Police also searched Lanza’s car, which was
in parking lot, and found an Izhmash Canta-12 12-gauge shotgun." -- http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Sand ...

* http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.a ...

THE GUN IN THE TRUNK WAS A SHOTGUN! I thought you knew everything about guns. How could you be SO wrong? Also, note that the report was from the CT State Police, not "the mass media". If you really are military, then you have a different mindset than the civilian does. I respect your service, but death is a big deal in this country. Just because our government has made you what you are doesn't mean your opinion is the only important one. If you really serve this country, then why are you so hateful to the people for whom you are ready to lay down your life? Seriously, do you love guns more than you love America and her people?
truth2

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

daDookieJew wrote:
<quoted text>
I need to inform you that I have been accused of 'sitting at my little computer in my mom's basement and posting all day' that I had the phrase patented. It now belongs to me and you have infringed on my patent. May have to take you to court. Sorry.
Ignorance

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Ignorance

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

connecticut-lanza-guns/index.h tml

newtown.asp

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,121 - 10,140 of53,451
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••