Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#33641 Jan 27, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao, I think with us telling or not depended on who did the bad deed, the oldest or the youngest. Lol. I think we turned out just fine. Our generation that is:)
I recieved two corporal punishments in high school, and the Principal used a regular size boat paddle.(It only took 3 licks and I was done and left in tears). When I relate this in class today, the kids always say, "I bet he wouldn't have spanked me".....Yeah right...You wanna bet? Years later everytime I would see him in public, I would automatically bend over a desk. We both would laugh.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33642 Jan 27, 2013
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to kill the Weeping Willow tree in the back yard many, many times, but the damn thing just wouldn't die.
And the willow wasn't the only one weeping, right? Willow, apple, dogwood and hickory, dang we were hard on the landscape. Nothing like a good belly laugh first thing in the morning.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33643 Jan 27, 2013
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I recieved two corporal punishments in high school, and the Principal used a regular size boat paddle.(It only took 3 licks and I was done and left in tears). When I relate this in class today, the kids always say, "I bet he wouldn't have spanked me".....Yeah right...You wanna bet? Years later everytime I would see him in public, I would automatically bend over a desk. We both would laugh.
I can only remember one lick from a paddle. It was for talking out of turn, first grade. They used to drill holes in paddles, too. I feared my teachers as much as I did my daddy. Get a whipping at school you got one at home.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33644 Jan 27, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>We got it if we even smiled about someone getting it. Of course the favorite "weapon" used at our house was my Dad's army belt.:) I learned at an early age what "At Ease" meant. The whole Platoon had better shut up!
One of my uncles was an army dad. I feared that man more than a cocked gun.

“physics is your friend”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#33646 Jan 27, 2013
I knew if I took an ass whipping, it was gonna be a running M@@@@R F@@@@R !

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#33647 Jan 27, 2013
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
I never wondered or worried about educational standards globally because I was under the impression that education was supposed to educate and not a competition. Not to mention everyone wants our money.
If our benchmarks are so terrible, then how about we start with one test and if you don't pass, you just don't pass? No claims of gender or racial biases.
And if our standards are so weak, then shouldn't be any problem revoking all educational visas till we improve or educational qualities, right? Clean up our own backyard before we clean up others. I dig it.
Well in capitalism, an educated populous is a competion. Arguing if it is a right or a privilege is not helping in this competion.
Ask most any teacher about the testing Bush put in place. I am sure they will tell you it is more counterproductive than productive.
Yes, I understand it sounds counter intuitive, but not all things intuitive are best.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#33648 Jan 27, 2013
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
I never wondered or worried about educational standards globally because I was under the impression that education was supposed to educate and not a competition. Not to mention everyone wants our money.
If our benchmarks are so terrible, then how about we start with one test and if you don't pass, you just don't pass? No claims of gender or racial biases.
And if our standards are so weak, then shouldn't be any problem revoking all educational visas till we improve or educational qualities, right? Clean up our own backyard before we clean up others. I dig it.
It is not due to a lack of standards, it is due to a lack of support for higher education from the republican party.
All I see from your team is condemnation of higher education. You guys seem to think it is just a liberal propaganda brainwashing institution.

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#33649 Jan 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well in capitalism, an educated populous is a competion. Arguing if it is a right or a privilege is not helping in this competion.
Ask most any teacher about the testing Bush put in place. I am sure they will tell you it is more counterproductive than productive.
Yes, I understand it sounds counter intuitive, but not all things intuitive are best.
Could of should of would of is your best answer as usual.

Stand defiant and don't believe it's always about the money.

Democrat.

Location hidden

#33650 Jan 27, 2013
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Could of should of would of is your best answer as usual.
Stand defiant and don't believe it's always about the money.
Democrat.
Teaching Civics and US History for many years on the high school level, I wish some Republican would tell me specifically the 'liberal agenda' taught in those subjects. Let's hear it from you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#33652 Jan 27, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>No reason to articulate or elaborate, you're the only one on here that can't read and comprehend. Everyone knows what I mean!
What you "mean" and what is actual truth are two different things. This is why I asked for evidence of your claim. Of course you cannot produce evidence because you are a lying piece of republican.

Location hidden

#33653 Jan 27, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>We got it if we even smiled about someone getting it. Of course the favorite "weapon" used at our house was my Dad's army belt.:) I learned at an early age what "At Ease" meant. The whole Platoon had better shut up!
Same thing at my house. If we snickered about someone else getting it, we'd get it too. Now I never had a whipping with a belt. My dad whipped my brother, not my sick brother, with a belt but he left mom and the dogwood trees to take care of my sister and me. I ought to be ashamed to say this, but there was no honor among siblings when it came to spankings. I remember saying before about my brother that was sick and he used to cry when we got whippings "Why doesn't he get whippings?" That usually was followed by "Do you want to take his for him?" Bless his heart, he never did a thing to deserve one. I don't know about you, but my dad only had to speak one time, not holler and we got the message loud and clear.
Lu, you gonna have to a razor "strop" to keep Waco in line. Looks like he's still has a healthy respect for one.

“Anasasis Xenophontis.”

Since: Dec 08

over there.

#33654 Jan 27, 2013
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
My white half likes to go to NASCAR races,dip smokeless tobacco and drink Budwieser to excess, but my black half knows better and rules.
don't you put that evil on me ricky bobby

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#33655 Jan 27, 2013
Mike, you ever been to the Carolina Theater?

“Anasasis Xenophontis.”

Since: Dec 08

over there.

#33656 Jan 27, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>No but grade, middle, and high school are govt education and the Commucrats have spent many years corrupting the minds of our youth.
uh I'm not dem leaning because of your pub ed conspiraciies, tin hat, I'm this way because of republican policies that have failed at the best of times. You act like we should all just forget your last three republican presidents and blame obama cause he hasn't fixed your presidents problems fast enough. You don't just watch a president tank an entire housing industry induced by predatory lending which your pres. Turned a blind eye too and keep cheering. YOU WILL DIE FROM DIABETES FROM ALL THE CONSPIRACAL KOOL AID BS YOU GARGLE AT US
TSF

Kenly, NC

#33657 Jan 27, 2013
On face value, I would agree that could be evidence that the system is protecting that ineffective teacher. But looking closer, if the EOC student grades are being used as the evaluation of that teacher, that teacher's students would probably have outstanding grades on EOC tests. So, based on that metric, you are advocating the dismissal of one of the system's proven best teachers.
The part of your story that I am having trouble with is this: Since the teachers do not even see the tests until 5 minutes before the test begins, and since the tests come in 5 different alternating versions, and since a typical classroom would have around 30 students, and since the test would last around 1.5 to 2 hours, and since there are monitors in each classroom for each test, and since the tests are collected and turned in immediately following the test, the teacher would not even have time to read that many questions and give out the answers.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, problems do lie within some teachers, not all. My niece for example has the same English teacher that I had when I was in HS...and she was in her 40's when I had her. She must be in her late 60's by now! This lady hasn't taught her much, she constantly forgets to take up class work/homework and very rarely records a grade. My niece even claims the teacher had to ask each student what they made on a test then had to take their word for it because she had already returned the test and most had already discarded them! When it came to EOC time, she gave them the answers! Was this because she failed to teach or was she just trying to protect herself come evaluation time!? When the students/parents complained to administration, their complaints fell on deaf ears.
Now I understand that one bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel but if this isn't an example of teachers first, students second then I'm not sure what is! Call it as you wish but I consider this a "real problem."

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

#33658 Jan 27, 2013
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>Teaching Civics and US History for many years on the high school level, I wish some Republican would tell me specifically the 'liberal agenda' taught in those subjects. Let's hear it from you.
As a history teacher for many years maybe you can answer why anything regarding the Civil War is no longer taught.

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

#33659 Jan 27, 2013
sevenSecrets wrote:
<quoted text>uh I'm not dem leaning because of your pub ed conspiraciies, tin hat, I'm this way because of republican policies that have failed at the best of times. You act like we should all just forget your last three republican presidents and blame obama cause he hasn't fixed your presidents problems fast enough. You don't just watch a president tank an entire housing industry induced by predatory lending which your pres. Turned a blind eye too and keep cheering. YOU WILL DIE FROM DIABETES FROM ALL THE CONSPIRACAL KOOL AID BS YOU GARGLE AT US
"You act like we should all just forget your last three republican presidents and blame obama cause he hasn't fixed your presidents problems fast enough."

WTF. Fast enough? He hasn't "fixed" anything. Please list the mistakes of the past 3 republican presidents and ANY repairs Obama has made.

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#33660 Jan 27, 2013
Emlu I doubt if Mike has ever heard of the"Carolina Theater", but, I do know that Al Gore will be there on January 29th, for a"Night With Al Gore", if you hurry, you might get a ticket!

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#33661 Jan 27, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
Emlu I doubt if Mike has ever heard of the"Carolina Theater", but, I do know that Al Gore will be there on January 29th, for a"Night With Al Gore", if you hurry, you might get a ticket!
Thanks but I know all I need to know about Al Jazeera and "climate change".

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#33662 Jan 27, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks but I know all I need to know about Al Jazeera and "climate change".
Seems to me y'all got enough"climate change"there lately....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 14 min TN Voter 161,047
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min Injudgement 163,207
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 min xxxrayted 34,021
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 20 min Dalai Lama 62,860
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 25 min GOP Ignorance 98,696
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 2 hr Not Landrieu 4,221
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr Jemima 57,872

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE