Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Carolina in 2010?

Posted in the Citizen Sound-Off Forum

Comments (Page 1,622)

Showing posts 32,421 - 32,440 of49,298
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Try”

Since: May 12

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

AZ.......IT'S THE REAL THING...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Being in the education system, that is the most suspicious post I have ever seen on here. In regard to the EOC, there are a lot of precautions made in test authenticiy, with heavy penalties administered to the Local Education Administration (School Board) for behavior by the teacher as you have described. Very heavy fines are administered, and it is this type of negative publicity that the local administration wants to avoid. The statement that parents complained and the administration "did nothing" is total bull shit. Local administration is subject to the rules of The NC Department of Public Instruction and their ass is on the line...big time. I think you are bull shitting to expand your agenda about public schools. This story is just too far fetched with the way it went down....It is hard to believe that the parents did not take this case directly to a school board member, or directly to NCDPI. This did not happen the way you are presenting it. Total BS. From this story, all of you postings in the future will be suspect by me.
All I can tell you is what was told to me by my niece and her mother. I know for a fact that her mother, as well as several other parents, complained to the Principal concerning the teacher's lack of taking class work/homework and recording grades. Because I know this fact to be true, I took their word concerning the EOC's. I personally don't deal with govt schools so I obviously don't know how the EOC's work and with you being in the business, I'll take your word. Are you also saying the same would be true concerning the class work/homework? I know when I was in school administration covered for teachers just as mgt would cover for mgt in business.
Also, when I say "did nothing", I'm sure he said something to the teacher but there was no improvement according to the students/parents.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
That originated with the wisdom that damaging a child's self esteem was always harmful. This came about the same time that the shrinks decided that parents should raise their children as peers rather than subordinates. Then parents were investigated for child abuse if they used corporal punishment, so parents understandably became afraid to discipline their own children. This was in stark contrast to the model under which most parents were raised. My grandpa didn't hesitate to damage my self esteem with a hoe handle and I had no misunderstanding about who was the subordinate or misgivings about following instructions carefully and immediately. If I encounted trouble at school, I was in trouble at home if he found out. I didnt like all my teachers, but I was very hesitant to show any sign of disrespect.
Which system is better? I don't know. Most kids today seem actually well behaved comparativly speaking.
<quoted text>
Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
I agree with the fact if I did something wrong at school or home, I knew what was going to happen when the old man got home....and it wasn't going to be good for me! And you'd better not upset Granny, those hickory switches were the worst! Kids today, with the exception of mine, have no clue. I personally think these self esteem programs are doing more harm than good. In the real world, there ARE winners and losers and these kids aren't being prepared properly. When they lose, and the will lose sooner or later, what is this going to do to there self esteem then?
As far as kids today being well behaved, you must not get out much. Go to any restaurant where kids are present or any shopping mall where teenagers live and just observe, then come back with your findings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
I agree with the fact if I did something wrong at school or home, I knew what was going to happen when the old man got home....and it wasn't going to be good for me! And you'd better not upset Granny, those hickory switches were the worst! Kids today, with the exception of mine, have no clue. I personally think these self esteem programs are doing more harm than good. In the real world, there ARE winners and losers and these kids aren't being prepared properly. When they lose, and the will lose sooner or later, what is this going to do to there self esteem then?
As far as kids today being well behaved, you must not get out much. Go to any restaurant where kids are present or any shopping mall where teenagers live and just observe, then come back with your findings.
Many students fail courses at the high school where I teach. In fact so many kids fail and get behind on their graduation pathway, that with 1700 students enrolled, we have two full time teachers who teach classes called "Course Recovery" to assist them in making those failed courses up on Computer programs that require them to pass with a grade of 85 instead of 70. This is only after they have failed a required curriculum class for the second time. The traditional Summer School make up programs that we have known, have been unfunded by the State Legislature for several years now. I have reviewed the computer courses for English II and US History. These are no easy Mickey Mouse make ups, but extensive programs that require work and knowledge. You make it sound as if there is no responsibility of work to earn a high school degree in the public school system. You are very wrong and uninformed on the requirements, as well as EOC test security. You need to educate yourself more on the truth of the matter, instead of listening to the general public's misconceptions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>All I can tell you is what was told to me by my niece and her mother. I know for a fact that her mother, as well as several other parents, complained to the Principal concerning the teacher's lack of taking class work/homework and recording grades. Because I know this fact to be true, I took their word concerning the EOC's. I personally don't deal with govt schools so I obviously don't know how the EOC's work and with you being in the business, I'll take your word. Are you also saying the same would be true concerning the class work/homework? I know when I was in school administration covered for teachers just as mgt would cover for mgt in business.
Also, when I say "did nothing", I'm sure he said something to the teacher but there was no improvement according to the students/parents.
I can believe the teacher's incompetance in the classroom, but the Principal's reaction to them about the EOC, makes him liable for not reporting to NCDPI if the story is true, as well as making the school district highly liable for a huge fine that you, the taxpayers of that district, would absord if found guilty of letting a teacher reveal answers on an EOC. What you have revealed is not what is typically done throughout the state. If the parent wants action, they need to take the case over the Principals head to the Chairman of the School Board and the Superintendent of the Schools in that district. This action is highly illegal with consequences. This is one of the standards of public education not taken lightly or dealt with in a passive manner.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
If my mother wanted to whip me, she had to ambush my little ass....
OMG Waco that is too funny. If I had run I don't think I would have lived to tell about it. LoL. The apple tree sprouts were bad but daddy used to cut what he called a double fisted brush. That is a whole bunch of switches twisted together. We laugh about it today but it was certainly no laughing matter then. If one of us did something and did not own up to it or the others did not tell, we all got a whipping. He made sure he got the right one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG Waco that is too funny. If I had run I don't think I would have lived to tell about it. LoL. The apple tree sprouts were bad but daddy used to cut what he called a double fisted brush. That is a whole bunch of switches twisted together. We laugh about it today but it was certainly no laughing matter then. If one of us did something and did not own up to it or the others did not tell, we all got a whipping. He made sure he got the right one.
Dogwood trees were my mother's favorite. We called it the "double dogwooder" because the dogwood limbs sometimes were flimsy and if you got one and it broke, you had to get another one. That's why we called it the "double dogwooder." She also made us play the "sell out who did it or everybody gets a whipping deal." Hate to say it, but we all turned on whoever did it. No honor when it came to the double dogwooder.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogwood trees were my mother's favorite. We called it the "double dogwooder" because the dogwood limbs sometimes were flimsy and if you got one and it broke, you had to get another one. That's why we called it the "double dogwooder." She also made us play the "sell out who did it or everybody gets a whipping deal." Hate to say it, but we all turned on whoever did it. No honor when it came to the double dogwooder.
OMG! this is how psychological warfare started....!
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
Pro, I have to agree with your last statement. I observe disgusting table manners, temper tantrums, children who are allowed to run free in stores. I have watched them destroy entire sections of toy departments. The parents just seem to ignore this as if it is normal behavior.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
We got it if we even smiled about someone getting it. Of course the favorite "weapon" used at our house was my Dad's army belt.:) I learned at an early age what "At Ease" meant. The whole Platoon had better shut up!

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

My mom got it with her fathers razor strop.I didn't even know what a "strop"was....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to kill the Weeping Willow tree in the back yard many, many times, but the damn thing just wouldn't die.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao, I think with us telling or not depended on who did the bad deed, the oldest or the youngest. Lol. I think we turned out just fine. Our generation that is:)
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
My mom got it with her fathers razor strop.I didn't even know what a "strop"was....
Again, rof lmao. No wonder you didn't slow down long enough.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao, I think with us telling or not depended on who did the bad deed, the oldest or the youngest. Lol. I think we turned out just fine. Our generation that is:)
I recieved two corporal punishments in high school, and the Principal used a regular size boat paddle.(It only took 3 licks and I was done and left in tears). When I relate this in class today, the kids always say, "I bet he wouldn't have spanked me".....Yeah right...You wanna bet? Years later everytime I would see him in public, I would automatically bend over a desk. We both would laugh.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to kill the Weeping Willow tree in the back yard many, many times, but the damn thing just wouldn't die.
And the willow wasn't the only one weeping, right? Willow, apple, dogwood and hickory, dang we were hard on the landscape. Nothing like a good belly laugh first thing in the morning.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I recieved two corporal punishments in high school, and the Principal used a regular size boat paddle.(It only took 3 licks and I was done and left in tears). When I relate this in class today, the kids always say, "I bet he wouldn't have spanked me".....Yeah right...You wanna bet? Years later everytime I would see him in public, I would automatically bend over a desk. We both would laugh.
I can only remember one lick from a paddle. It was for talking out of turn, first grade. They used to drill holes in paddles, too. I feared my teachers as much as I did my daddy. Get a whipping at school you got one at home.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>We got it if we even smiled about someone getting it. Of course the favorite "weapon" used at our house was my Dad's army belt.:) I learned at an early age what "At Ease" meant. The whole Platoon had better shut up!
One of my uncles was an army dad. I feared that man more than a cocked gun.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

I knew if I took an ass whipping, it was gonna be a running M@@@@R F@@@@R !

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
I never wondered or worried about educational standards globally because I was under the impression that education was supposed to educate and not a competition. Not to mention everyone wants our money.
If our benchmarks are so terrible, then how about we start with one test and if you don't pass, you just don't pass? No claims of gender or racial biases.
And if our standards are so weak, then shouldn't be any problem revoking all educational visas till we improve or educational qualities, right? Clean up our own backyard before we clean up others. I dig it.
Well in capitalism, an educated populous is a competion. Arguing if it is a right or a privilege is not helping in this competion.
Ask most any teacher about the testing Bush put in place. I am sure they will tell you it is more counterproductive than productive.
Yes, I understand it sounds counter intuitive, but not all things intuitive are best.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 32,421 - 32,440 of49,298
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Search the Citizen Sound-Off Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Fed Up Again 138,381
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 10 min LIBERALS ARE WORTHLESS 92,017
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 11 min Dying wage 2,078
Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 14 min Ron Is an idiot Johnson 6,879
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 25 min lol 123,407
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 28 min George 43,267
OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 29 min TAMARA 62,131
•••
•••
•••
•••