“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#33621 Jan 26, 2013
emlu wrote:
Oh no, Europeans, run, run for the hills!
Europeans? Not worth the powder it would take to blow em up.....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#33622 Jan 26, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, problems do lie within some teachers, not all. My niece for example has the same English teacher that I had when I was in HS...and she was in her 40's when I had her. She must be in her late 60's by now! This lady hasn't taught her much, she constantly forgets to take up class work/homework and very rarely records a grade. My niece even claims the teacher had to ask each student what they made on a test then had to take their word for it because she had already returned the test and most had already discarded them! When it came to EOC time, she gave them the answers! Was this because she failed to teach or was she just trying to protect herself come evaluation time!? When the students/parents complained to administration, their complaints fell on deaf ears.
Now I understand that one bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel but if this isn't an example of teachers first, students second then I'm not sure what is! Call it as you wish but I consider this a "real problem."
Being in the education system, that is the most suspicious post I have ever seen on here. In regard to the EOC, there are a lot of precautions made in test authenticiy, with heavy penalties administered to the Local Education Administration (School Board) for behavior by the teacher as you have described. Very heavy fines are administered, and it is this type of negative publicity that the local administration wants to avoid. The statement that parents complained and the administration "did nothing" is total bull shit. Local administration is subject to the rules of The NC Department of Public Instruction and their ass is on the line...big time. I think you are bull shitting to expand your agenda about public schools. This story is just too far fetched with the way it went down....It is hard to believe that the parents did not take this case directly to a school board member, or directly to NCDPI. This did not happen the way you are presenting it. Total BS. From this story, all of you postings in the future will be suspect by me.

Location hidden

#33623 Jan 26, 2013
Also, with a State Test EOC, they (the teacher and the Class Proctor) sign a statement at the end of administration of the test stating that they did in no way help any student with the testing, by giving direct of indirect answers. There are other things listed that cannot be done.(Students taking bathroom breaks together,for instance) If a test misadministration occurs, teachers are to contact the Principal IMMEDIATELY so he can determine if the testing should be continued, or scheduled for another time. Teachers have to attend training sessions each semester where the testing administration is understood, and made aware that we are liable for any part of the test that is misadminstered and our jobs are on the line for any violation. That is required by NCDPI. I don't think your neice gave you the true facts.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33624 Jan 26, 2013
emlu wrote:
Oh no, Europeans, run, run for the hills!
Calm down.Take a deep breath.Look around.You're already IN THE HILLS!! Good golly, Miss Molly....

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33625 Jan 26, 2013
Beatniks and politics, nothing is new,a yardstick for lunatics, one point of view...

Location hidden

#33626 Jan 26, 2013
John Perazzo wrote:
Black Racism Rampant in America
rense.com/general78/blakcr.htm
Gail, find some new material. You have posted this before. Same old hateful theme. Getting old.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33627 Jan 26, 2013
AZ.......IT'S THE REAL THING...

Location hidden

#33628 Jan 26, 2013
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Being in the education system, that is the most suspicious post I have ever seen on here. In regard to the EOC, there are a lot of precautions made in test authenticiy, with heavy penalties administered to the Local Education Administration (School Board) for behavior by the teacher as you have described. Very heavy fines are administered, and it is this type of negative publicity that the local administration wants to avoid. The statement that parents complained and the administration "did nothing" is total bull shit. Local administration is subject to the rules of The NC Department of Public Instruction and their ass is on the line...big time. I think you are bull shitting to expand your agenda about public schools. This story is just too far fetched with the way it went down....It is hard to believe that the parents did not take this case directly to a school board member, or directly to NCDPI. This did not happen the way you are presenting it. Total BS. From this story, all of you postings in the future will be suspect by me.
All I can tell you is what was told to me by my niece and her mother. I know for a fact that her mother, as well as several other parents, complained to the Principal concerning the teacher's lack of taking class work/homework and recording grades. Because I know this fact to be true, I took their word concerning the EOC's. I personally don't deal with govt schools so I obviously don't know how the EOC's work and with you being in the business, I'll take your word. Are you also saying the same would be true concerning the class work/homework? I know when I was in school administration covered for teachers just as mgt would cover for mgt in business.
Also, when I say "did nothing", I'm sure he said something to the teacher but there was no improvement according to the students/parents.

Location hidden

#33629 Jan 26, 2013
TSF wrote:
That originated with the wisdom that damaging a child's self esteem was always harmful. This came about the same time that the shrinks decided that parents should raise their children as peers rather than subordinates. Then parents were investigated for child abuse if they used corporal punishment, so parents understandably became afraid to discipline their own children. This was in stark contrast to the model under which most parents were raised. My grandpa didn't hesitate to damage my self esteem with a hoe handle and I had no misunderstanding about who was the subordinate or misgivings about following instructions carefully and immediately. If I encounted trouble at school, I was in trouble at home if he found out. I didnt like all my teachers, but I was very hesitant to show any sign of disrespect.
Which system is better? I don't know. Most kids today seem actually well behaved comparativly speaking.
<quoted text>
Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
I agree with the fact if I did something wrong at school or home, I knew what was going to happen when the old man got home....and it wasn't going to be good for me! And you'd better not upset Granny, those hickory switches were the worst! Kids today, with the exception of mine, have no clue. I personally think these self esteem programs are doing more harm than good. In the real world, there ARE winners and losers and these kids aren't being prepared properly. When they lose, and the will lose sooner or later, what is this going to do to there self esteem then?
As far as kids today being well behaved, you must not get out much. Go to any restaurant where kids are present or any shopping mall where teenagers live and just observe, then come back with your findings.

Location hidden

#33630 Jan 27, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
I agree with the fact if I did something wrong at school or home, I knew what was going to happen when the old man got home....and it wasn't going to be good for me! And you'd better not upset Granny, those hickory switches were the worst! Kids today, with the exception of mine, have no clue. I personally think these self esteem programs are doing more harm than good. In the real world, there ARE winners and losers and these kids aren't being prepared properly. When they lose, and the will lose sooner or later, what is this going to do to there self esteem then?
As far as kids today being well behaved, you must not get out much. Go to any restaurant where kids are present or any shopping mall where teenagers live and just observe, then come back with your findings.
Many students fail courses at the high school where I teach. In fact so many kids fail and get behind on their graduation pathway, that with 1700 students enrolled, we have two full time teachers who teach classes called "Course Recovery" to assist them in making those failed courses up on Computer programs that require them to pass with a grade of 85 instead of 70. This is only after they have failed a required curriculum class for the second time. The traditional Summer School make up programs that we have known, have been unfunded by the State Legislature for several years now. I have reviewed the computer courses for English II and US History. These are no easy Mickey Mouse make ups, but extensive programs that require work and knowledge. You make it sound as if there is no responsibility of work to earn a high school degree in the public school system. You are very wrong and uninformed on the requirements, as well as EOC test security. You need to educate yourself more on the truth of the matter, instead of listening to the general public's misconceptions.

Location hidden

#33631 Jan 27, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>All I can tell you is what was told to me by my niece and her mother. I know for a fact that her mother, as well as several other parents, complained to the Principal concerning the teacher's lack of taking class work/homework and recording grades. Because I know this fact to be true, I took their word concerning the EOC's. I personally don't deal with govt schools so I obviously don't know how the EOC's work and with you being in the business, I'll take your word. Are you also saying the same would be true concerning the class work/homework? I know when I was in school administration covered for teachers just as mgt would cover for mgt in business.
Also, when I say "did nothing", I'm sure he said something to the teacher but there was no improvement according to the students/parents.
I can believe the teacher's incompetance in the classroom, but the Principal's reaction to them about the EOC, makes him liable for not reporting to NCDPI if the story is true, as well as making the school district highly liable for a huge fine that you, the taxpayers of that district, would absord if found guilty of letting a teacher reveal answers on an EOC. What you have revealed is not what is typically done throughout the state. If the parent wants action, they need to take the case over the Principals head to the Chairman of the School Board and the Superintendent of the Schools in that district. This action is highly illegal with consequences. This is one of the standards of public education not taken lightly or dealt with in a passive manner.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33632 Jan 27, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
If my mother wanted to whip me, she had to ambush my little ass....
OMG Waco that is too funny. If I had run I don't think I would have lived to tell about it. LoL. The apple tree sprouts were bad but daddy used to cut what he called a double fisted brush. That is a whole bunch of switches twisted together. We laugh about it today but it was certainly no laughing matter then. If one of us did something and did not own up to it or the others did not tell, we all got a whipping. He made sure he got the right one.

Location hidden

#33633 Jan 27, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG Waco that is too funny. If I had run I don't think I would have lived to tell about it. LoL. The apple tree sprouts were bad but daddy used to cut what he called a double fisted brush. That is a whole bunch of switches twisted together. We laugh about it today but it was certainly no laughing matter then. If one of us did something and did not own up to it or the others did not tell, we all got a whipping. He made sure he got the right one.
Dogwood trees were my mother's favorite. We called it the "double dogwooder" because the dogwood limbs sometimes were flimsy and if you got one and it broke, you had to get another one. That's why we called it the "double dogwooder." She also made us play the "sell out who did it or everybody gets a whipping deal." Hate to say it, but we all turned on whoever did it. No honor when it came to the double dogwooder.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33634 Jan 27, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogwood trees were my mother's favorite. We called it the "double dogwooder" because the dogwood limbs sometimes were flimsy and if you got one and it broke, you had to get another one. That's why we called it the "double dogwooder." She also made us play the "sell out who did it or everybody gets a whipping deal." Hate to say it, but we all turned on whoever did it. No honor when it came to the double dogwooder.
OMG! this is how psychological warfare started....!
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33635 Jan 27, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Actually most kids today are a product of the self-esteem generation. Ever since they were little, their parents and teachers have been telling them how well they are doing at everything. Every team they are on gets a trophy no matter how poorly they do. This probably came about for multiple reasons, but one reason was the finding that teenagers with higher self-esteem have higher grades, lower rates of pregnancy, and are less likely to take drugs or get into trouble with the law. This led to funded government programs in the 1980s focused on increasing children’s self-esteem. These campaigns were inspired by the flawed assumptions that if self-esteem and good outcomes are correlated it must be because self-esteem causes those outcomes. In fact, most of the data suggests just the opposite. Getting good grades and producing more at work increase self-esteem, not the other way around.
Pro, I have to agree with your last statement. I observe disgusting table manners, temper tantrums, children who are allowed to run free in stores. I have watched them destroy entire sections of toy departments. The parents just seem to ignore this as if it is normal behavior.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#33636 Jan 27, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
We got it if we even smiled about someone getting it. Of course the favorite "weapon" used at our house was my Dad's army belt.:) I learned at an early age what "At Ease" meant. The whole Platoon had better shut up!

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33637 Jan 27, 2013
My mom got it with her fathers razor strop.I didn't even know what a "strop"was....

Location hidden

#33638 Jan 27, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to kill the Weeping Willow tree in the back yard many, many times, but the damn thing just wouldn't die.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33639 Jan 27, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao, I think with us telling or not depended on who did the bad deed, the oldest or the youngest. Lol. I think we turned out just fine. Our generation that is:)
Allen

Penrose, NC

#33640 Jan 27, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
My mom got it with her fathers razor strop.I didn't even know what a "strop"was....
Again, rof lmao. No wonder you didn't slow down long enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 3 min FastFred 282
Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 15 min xxxx 681
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 22 min wowie 152,171
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 23 min Ari son of Anarchy 155,234
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 28 min xxxrayted 31,462
Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 30 min frilled2b 6,461
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 48 min rename 56,635

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE