Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mil...

Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 7, 2010

6,421 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2309 Oct 26, 2010
Pam wrote:
The Humane Society actually started by in the late 1800's. It is no longer the wonderful benevolent society that it once was. It has become a non profit power money machine that does not do what its original intent. Ask any shelter.
You are right in almost everything except it is definatly NOT a not for profit. I really hope the IRS is truly looking into them!!
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2310 Oct 26, 2010
if you havent lived it wrote:
quuphoop wrote.....
They don't know that I don't breed my females until they are 1 1/2 years old and they retired on their 6th birthday. They don't know I give a 3 year guarantee, they don't know that I don't sell puppies until they are atleast 10 weeks old and if they are tiny, they don't leave my home for another month or so.
But how often do you breed your females?? They don't leave YOUR home or their cage that is 3 feet off the ground. Do you sell to famlies or to brokers? Do you allow people come to your home and check out your dogs and how they live WITH you.
My bet is your not a Breeder...your a greedy little...
How many of you have ever been to a puppy mill or helped rescue dogs from mills... How many of you have help put to sleep the babies that have come from these places...you want to keep. how many of have seen the toothless moms..the puppies who legs go through the wires they have to live on..then they can't move or get out of the way from other puppies...so the leg gets broken...
BUT THIS BILL DOES NOT ADDRESS ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS!!!! You people keep spreading this nonsense and try to get sympathy, but tell NO ONE that this bill does NOTHING to help this! THIS IS ALL READY ILLEGAL!! Call Bark Alert and report it!!! This bill regulates the number of DOMESTIC ANIMALS one person can have PERIOD!!! That is what this bill accomplishes!! The HSUS has already destroyed other states agriculture and no the are gunning for Missouri. People like you, that have no idea what this bill is going to do to our economy and think it is to "save the puppies" are the reason the HSUS thinks they can take over our state.
dog

Greenbrier, AR

#2311 Oct 26, 2010
THE HUMANE SOCIETY kool-aid jar is almost gone no more kool-aid. People will will just stare at the sky and say to themselves animals and our little kids are not equal!!
The HUMANE SOCIETY of the US will soon be in the history books.

I will vote no on prop B
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2312 Oct 26, 2010
Are you crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I, unlike a lot of people on here, can read & process what I read and that is why I will vote YES! I don't believe it is all an evil plan to stop farmers from producing food and that if this law which is only about dogs, passes that eggs will cost $24 & meat will be $18 per pound.
You need to research what the HSUS did to the hog farmer in Florida and what they did to the egg farmer in California. Line #9 defines pets as domestic animals!!! It is absolutly a ruse by the HSUS to go after agriculture!!! PLEASE look at the current laws MO. has on the books!! This prop. LOWERS the standards!! The HSUS has to get vets from OUT OF STATE to back this bill. WHY IS THAT?????
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2313 Oct 26, 2010
skiesrblue wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a breeder who takes care of his dogs the way they should be cared for & you keep your kennels cleaned & up to state standards, then you should have nothing to worry about & I'd think that you'd want the puppy mills who are in it for the money shut down & give respectable breeders back there good name!
It is all ready illegal to own a puppy mill in Missouri!!!! This bill goes after the LAW ABIDING kennels!! If this bill passes, puppy mills will flourish, because the demand will be WAY higher for pure bred dogs! PLUS over 100,00 dogs will HAVE to be put down, because it will be illegal for their owners to keep them!!! HOW DOES THAT SAVE THE PUPPIES!!!
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2314 Oct 26, 2010
Are you crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you crazy? The definition of pet pertains only to make clear the use of pet as used here: Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person having custody or ownership of more than ten female covered dogs for the purpose of breeding those animals and selling any offspring for use as a pet shall provide each covered dog. So unless your dog gives birth to a goat, chicken, pig, cow, cat or goldfish, you should not have a problem. There should be an IQ test prior to voting
You are the one who is crazy if you do not see the writing on the wall!! Check out what the HSUS did in Florida and California! This is DELIBERATE wording, that they were hoping no one would realize!! They are 100% against agriculture!!! Check out Ray Pacelle's quote's and how he feels about agriculture, hunting, fishing and animals in zoo's!! He wants EVERYONE in our country to be vegan. NO Sea World, no Zoo's, no circus, no animals used for agriculture, no hunting!!! CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELVES!! I also heard today on the radio that the HSUS paid Tony Larussa $2,000,000 to do the commericials for them. If he was so for it, WHY did they pay him that much money!!! AND where would a NOT FOR PROFIT get $2,000,000. You could save ALOT of puppies with that money!! What a crock!!!!
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2315 Oct 26, 2010
skiesrblue wrote:
<quoted text>If you aren't doing anything wrong as a breeder, why are you worried?
THIS BILL LIMITS YOU TO 50 DOMESTIC ANIMALS!!! If you have a large kennel and 100's of acres and 50 people on your pay roll that depend on you to make a living, that take care of the animals 24 hours a day. It DOESN"T matter. You can still only own 50 DOMESTIC ANIMALS!!! It I own all of this property, and can take care of all of these animals, and giving them a loving home, THAT IS MY RIGHT!!!!
HSUS and PeTA vs ASPCA

Dexter, MO

#2316 Oct 26, 2010
Vote Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone needs to be educated on bills prior to making decisions. HSUS is not the ASPCA, it is a bogus radical animal movement, similar to PETA. Although they sound like they mean well, they are not the USDA, they are not licensed veterinarians and to me they do more harm than good…
So it is your job to pass them. If that’s the case I know of about 12 puppy mills (breeders) in MO that are subpar. You must be a luck person. These puppies are 6 to 8 weeks old when you see them and they stay in the homes or in separate well kept facilities. Puppies are well kept. I support better regulations for dog owners/breeders. Not the same as pet store and it’s strange how you deduce that. As for resting a bitch, it’s just logic that a body human or not breaks down with breeding. Oh but wait, I’m sure they all get the exercise they need in their 4x8 cage. They are not decreasing the number of feedings, they said at a minimum…and seriously…the government WILL fine you if a piece of dog food gets in their water bowl.
Prop B is not going to put people out of a job, it would actually put kennel owners to work. They should already be doing this at a minimum.
You must be the population at large, but it’s not PeTA that’s deceiving you.
I suppose you exercise your dog everyday? They are decreasing to once a day and breeding/lactating/pregnant females need more calories therefore more frequent feedings. I find it absurd that a piece of food in a water dish is a fine...seriously, there are better things to worry about.

I agree there is a puppy mill problem, this bill is not the answer. It is only targeted to those who are ALREADY licensed. If you know of these mills then REPORT them instead of complain about how you know of them.
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2317 Oct 26, 2010
To ALL of you that say yes to this bill, please think about this. Between 100,00 and 160,000 dogs will have to be put down in the state of Missouri if this bill passes. Dogs that all ready have loving homes, but their owners will no longer be able to keep them because of the limits of this law! Then, puppy mills, that already operate outside of the law, will FLOURISH because the liscenced breeders will be put out of business, and the demand for pure bred puppies will be higher!! THINK ABOUT IT!!! How about the $300 REHOMING fee some of the "rescue people" charge??? That is ONE of the reasons these "rescue people" want this to pass. OOHHH but they have EXCLUDED themselves from this bill!!! If they REALLY cared, and REALLY believed the crap they are spitting out, they would follow the law too!!! I think if this bill passes, I am going to start 'RESCUING" dogs too. Especially pure bred ones! My kids are getting ready to start college!!
Anonymous

United States

#2318 Oct 26, 2010
ALERT --- ALERT, if you are for PROP B please go to www.lucascattlecompany.com -- our help is on the way!!!!!

AGAIN, anyone AGAINST Prop B- we need to ALL come together NOW.

Forrest Lucas, is a prominent business man not only in the Cattle Business but also in the oil business ALL OVER THE WORLD.....He has seen what HSUS does all over the world and the impact it has made on California residents, because his head quarters are located there. But he owns a large ranch here in Missouri. Please post his link to everyone in your address book.
Anonymous

United States

#2319 Oct 26, 2010
Numerous other agribusinesses and connected industries have been subsequently crippled and have been dragged down alongside.

This bill forces breeders to limit the number of dogs they can own – regardless of care.

Think about this a minute ....

Should the government have the right to limit the number of houses a realtor can sell? Or the number of cattle a rancher can raise?

These new regulations will put almost every breeder in Missouri out of business forcing the price of dogs to sky rocket and allowing pet ownership only for the very wealthy.

Abolishing Animal Ownership: One Step at a Time… HSUS spends less than 0.5% of their revenue on the care of animals.

The goals of their organization have been made clear by numerous statements by their President, Wayne Pacelle, a radical animal rights activist.

“We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals.”-Wayne Pacelle, President, HSUS
When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, "If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.”" - Wayne Pacelle quoted in Blood Ties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p 266

“Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as cock fighting and dog fighting. We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States.”-Wayne Pacelle, President, HSUS

Prop B and Our Economy
As families in Missouri struggle to make ends meet, radical animal rights activists are using emotional ballot language to push economy crippling legislation.

If Prop B were to pass:
Blue Ribbon Kennels will be forced to close due to excessive regulation and penalties Jobs will be lost at pet stores, kennels, and food producers who employ tens of thousands of Missourians statewide Hundreds of thousands of tax dollars a year will be wasted enforcing needless regulations on Missouri’s respected, licensed dog-breeders, while the unlicensed problem-breeders remain unchecked.

While unemployment rates continue to rise, Proposition B will cause more small businesses to go under and put many Missourians out of their jobs.

“The defense of freedom begins at home, and the price of freedom is vigilance and courage.”
In this country, freedom is never stolen from us by a thief in the night. It gets handed away, one piece at a time, by those of us who are weak, cowardly, uncaring, or unknowing.- Jeane Kirkpatrick, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations
quuphoop

Lubbock, TX

#2320 Oct 26, 2010
Whom ever is tagging my name on the bogus posts, leave me the hell alone. I am a legal licensed breeder in this state. I love and care for my dogs as I do my children. This proposition will only close the legal licensed breeders. This bill does not touch the substandard kennels who are illegal. The HSUS don't give a damn about Missouri's puppies. This is about control. I thought we lived in a democracy, but listening to all of you, I see Hitler has his wish. People use to help each other and care about their neighbors. We have lost track to what we once stood for. God is watching and he knows............For all of you souls that are speaking out in our defense, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Anonymous

United States

#2321 Oct 26, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
To ALL of you that say yes to this bill, please think about this. Between 100,00 and 160,000 dogs will have to be put down in the state of Missouri if this bill passes. Dogs that all ready have loving homes, but their owners will no longer be able to keep them because of the limits of this law! Then, puppy mills, that already operate outside of the law, will FLOURISH because the liscenced breeders will be put out of business, and the demand for pure bred puppies will be higher!! THINK ABOUT IT!!! How about the $300 REHOMING fee some of the "rescue people" charge??? That is ONE of the reasons these "rescue people" want this to pass. OOHHH but they have EXCLUDED themselves from this bill!!! If they REALLY cared, and REALLY believed the crap they are spitting out, they would follow the law too!!! I think if this bill passes, I am going to start 'RESCUING" dogs too. Especially pure bred ones! My kids are getting ready to start college!!
ME TOO!!!!! I think I will turn mine into a rescue or a shelter, and adopt them out for $1000, since there will be NO BREEDERS left, we can get them from the large sub-standard kennels that will not be affected by this bill. Really think about it, the price of dogs will go up, so I guess the price of adopting one will to!!!
Anonymous

United States

#2322 Oct 26, 2010
ALERT --- ALERT, if you are for PROP B please go to www.lucascattlecompany.com -- our help is on the way!!!!!

AGAIN, anyone AGAINST Prop B- we need to ALL come together NOW.

Forrest Lucas, is a prominent business man not only in the Cattle Business but also in the oil business ALL OVER THE WORLD.....He has seen what HSUS does all over the world and the impact it has made on California residents, because his head quarters are located there. But he owns a large ranch here in Missouri. Please post his link to everyone in your address book.

Numerous other agribusinesses and connected industries have been subsequently crippled and have been dragged down alongside.

This bill forces breeders to limit the number of dogs they can own – regardless of care.

Think about this a minute ....

Should the government have the right to limit the number of houses a realtor can sell? Or the number of cattle a rancher can raise?

These new regulations will put almost every breeder in Missouri out of business forcing the price of dogs to sky rocket and allowing pet ownership only for the very wealthy.

Abolishing Animal Ownership: One Step at a Time… HSUS spends less than 0.5% of their revenue on the care of animals.

The goals of their organization have been made clear by numerous statements by their President, Wayne Pacelle, a radical animal rights activist.

“We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals.”-Wayne Pacelle, President, HSUS
When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, "If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.”" - Wayne Pacelle quoted in Blood Ties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p 266

“Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as cock fighting and dog fighting. We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States.”-Wayne Pacelle, President, HSUS

Prop B and Our Economy
As families in Missouri struggle to make ends meet, radical animal rights activists are using emotional ballot language to push economy crippling legislation.

If Prop B were to pass:
Blue Ribbon Kennels will be forced to close due to excessive regulation and penalties Jobs will be lost at pet stores, kennels, and food producers who employ tens of thousands of Missourians statewide Hundreds of thousands of tax dollars a year will be wasted enforcing needless regulations on Missouri’s respected, licensed dog-breeders, while the unlicensed problem-breeders remain unchecked.

While unemployment rates continue to rise, Proposition B will cause more small businesses to go under and put many Missourians out of their jobs.

“The defense of freedom begins at home, and the price of freedom is vigilance and courage.”
In this country, freedom is never stolen from us by a thief in the night. It gets handed away, one piece at a time, by those of us who are weak, cowardly, uncaring, or unknowing.- Jeane Kirkpatrick, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations
quuphoop

Lubbock, TX

#2323 Oct 26, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT THIS BILL DOES NOT ADDRESS ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS!!!! You people keep spreading this nonsense and try to get sympathy, but tell NO ONE that this bill does NOTHING to help this! THIS IS ALL READY ILLEGAL!! Call Bark Alert and report it!!! This bill regulates the number of DOMESTIC ANIMALS one person can have PERIOD!!! That is what this bill accomplishes!! The HSUS has already destroyed other states agriculture and no the are gunning for Missouri. People like you, that have no idea what this bill is going to do to our economy and think it is to "save the puppies" are the reason the HSUS thinks they can take over our state.
Hmmmm I did not write this someone else is using my name. I am with you 100%
Minuteman

Canada

#2324 Oct 26, 2010
Are you crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you crazy? The definition of pet pertains only to make clear the use of pet as used here: Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person having custody or ownership of more than ten female covered dogs for the purpose of breeding those animals and selling any offspring for use as a pet shall provide each covered dog. So unless your dog gives birth to a goat, chicken, pig, cow, cat or goldfish, you should not have a problem. There should be an IQ test prior to voting
Then please enlighten us great wise one.
Please give us definition of the following wildlife and domesticated.
Please post them here.
Here is the definition of Pet; an animal that is domesticated and kept as a companion; a person treated with particular indulgence kept or treated as a pet; especially liked; showing fondness.
Please tell us again who is crazy? Who needs an IQ test? When many of us have commonsense!
Voting NO on Prop B is the right thing for all Missourians.
hmmmm

Wentzville, MO

#2325 Oct 26, 2010
quuphoop wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm I did not write this someone else is using my name. I am with you 100%
Ohh, don't worry, EVERYONE on here knows who is doing it!
Cookie

Saint Louis, MO

#2326 Oct 26, 2010
original wrote:
<quoted text>
The Humane Society donated less than one half of one percent of its income in 2008 to animal welfare. HSUS spends more than $5 million each year on travel expenses alone. Travel for animals? I don't think so. The HSUS is not associated with your local Humane Society shelter.
The HSUS is sponsoring Prop B with money that could probably save the lives of 1000's of dogs. If Prop B passes, what will dogs get? More laws... exactly what a homeless dog wants. Not.
So who wins if Prop B passes? HSUS. Who loses? Dogs.
Keep the current laws, step up enforcement. Vote No on Prop B.
Hello? There are no current laws on puppy mills they are Regulations. The USDA (our wonderful feds) are still in control and aren't doing a darn thing to help these poor dogs & puppies.
Cookie

Saint Louis, MO

#2327 Oct 26, 2010
As stated before wrote:
Everyone needs to be educated on bills prior to making decisions. HSUS is not the ASPCA, it is a bogus radical animal movement, similar to PETA. Although they sound like they mean well, they are not the USDA, they are not licensed veterinarians and to me they do more harm than good.
I have inspected breeding kennels are they far surpass the USDA regulations. Why should these people who do their jobs quite well be forced to restrict their sales? These dogs are well taken care of, vaccinated, properly dewormed and meet regulated health requirements. I have seen animals bought from these breeders and the owners are quite happy with their animals. I have done physical examinations on these puppies prior to their journey across the states and they are in general good health, have no parasites and generally have no genetic deformities.
On the flip side I have seen pet store facilities and are appalled at their conditions. I have seen puppies purchased from pet stores, and on average these are the animals that need deworming, contract parvovirus and are of poor health.
If you support pet store puppies than you support Prop B. These are your real "puppy mill" dogs. These dogs are not included in the proposition.
As far as limiting the number of breeding a bitch can undergo, it is more humane, in my professional opinion, to allow her to breed every time she comes into heat. If not, these dogs are susceptible to pyometras (infections of the uterus, which can be a surgical emergency due to its life threatening conditions) and false pregnancies. There is no benefit to resting the bitch. If you are going to rest her, than neuter her (neuter is general, spay is for
bitches, castration is for males).
Decreasing the number of feedings to at least once a day is subpar. Dogs contaminate their water all the time, is this a problem? According to Prop B it is. My dogs contaminate their water with their food (I feed them twice a day) all the time.
Our licensed breeders are not only inspected by veterinarians but by the USDA. Your so called "hobby breeders" and pet shop suppliers are not. Yes, there are some licensed breeders who are probably bad apples, but that happens with everything. Some of the dogs I have seen are probably taken care of better than some of the children living on your block.
Instead of now having people go out and arrest licensed breeders for contaminated water dishes, more funding should go into locating the actual puppy mills that are in Missouri.
Only 150 veterinarians support prop B. There are way more than that in our state. The Missouri Veterinary Medical Association is against Prop B. We are the people who see these animals day in and day out, know what is going on. People hear "Puppy Mill" and think "BAD!" but please be more informed and don't allow the HSUS do what it did to California. We already have a problem with people finding jobs, let us not put others out of jobs on a vote.
HSUS and PETA are both animal right activists. They are against the "exploitation" of animals such as raising and slaughtering of livestock for human or animal consumption, hunting, using animals for any medical or veterinary research, zoos, ciruses, rodeos, horseshows, dogshows, etc.
The HSUS has been very effective in deceiving the population at large, and most think they are a humane society and the direct opposite of groups like PeTA. The truth is the HSUS is a big part of the same animal rights movement as PeTA, and holds the same ideals, only the tactics differ.
Do you know what the HSUS and PeTA said about the Vick dogs? That they were beyond rehabilitation and recommended euthanasia. Thankfully the ASPCA stepped in and saved 50 of the 51 dogs. Just think about what the HSUS will do with the dogs in Misssouri...
Vote NO!
The ASPCA is behind Proposition B. Call them & ask.
Cookie

Saint Louis, MO

#2328 Oct 26, 2010
FactsFirst wrote:
<quoted text>
3. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person having custody or ownership of more than ten female covered dogs for the purpose of breeding those animals and selling any offspring for use as a pet shall provide each covered dog:...
"(9)”Pet” means any domesticated animal normally maintained in or near the household of the owner thereof."
So, if anyone has over 10 dogs and sells ANY offspring for use as a pet, this law applies to them. ANY offspring could be the offspring of your goat, chicken, pig, cow, cat, goldfish... where does it stop?
If you think I'm reading too far into this, think about how lobbyists and lawyers could interpret this law. It's their job to interpret laws in ways that could benefit themselves or their company.
Vote NO on Prop B. Protect dogs, and protect animal agriculture.
OMG you have got to be kidding I've never seen a goat or a cow at a pet store. Folks, read the entire bill! Also, if you go to the definitions in the main laws of the State of Missouri, "farm animals" are described. So chickens, cows, pigs ... are excluded from this

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 4 min River Tam 103,499
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 34 min General Robert E Lee 118,292
Election Who's got your vote in the Illinois State Compt... (Oct '14) 6 hr Kiddo 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 16 hr Bob 107
Election Who's got your vote for Congress in Arkansas's ... (Oct '14) Fri Jonduey Phillips-... 17
Election Who's got your vote in the Illinois Senate race? (Oct '14) Fri A Serial Killer 15
Election Who's got your vote for Congress in Illinois's ... (Dec '14) Fri My Azzhole 5
More from around the web