Vet

Fayetteville, GA

#84639 Jun 19, 2013
the scarlett pimpernel wrote:
<quoted text>
To some he is an icon for me he isn't.
He was a great actor who made great movies that for the most part, children could enjoy. He was nothing more than that to me. He seems to be of great importance to OA though.
dblq

UK

#84640 Jun 19, 2013
dai uy, you are fubar. Miss your daily-daily?
dblq

UK

#84641 Jun 19, 2013
How many combat missions did you do in Nam again Vet?
really

United States

#84642 Jun 19, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey OT, here is another thing we disagree on. I was born and raised in East Tennessee and my father and grandfather farmed tobacco. Anyone living in this area can probably remember the old tobacco warehouses on Roan St. in Johnson City and all the tobacco farms in Telford, Limestone, Jonesboro, Boones Creek, etc. Tobacco benefited this area for a long time, but that does not justify smoking and the ill effects from smoking. Smoking has killed more people than all the wars combined and costs exponentially more in terms of health and money. There simply is no justification for smoking. Yes, there is obesity, car accidents and many other things that harm people. Just because there are other things that harm people doesn't mean smoking is ok. Ideally, we would engage in nothing that degrades our quality of life. Smoking is not a political thing either. There are liberals who smoke, conservatives who smoke, libertarians who smoke, etc. Smoking affects everyone of all denominations disastrously.
The Bloomberg edict is a completely different issue than smoking. Conservatives realize this edict won't work. Why? Because anyone wanting a super size soft drink can just as easily purchase two of the smaller sizes and get the exact same quantity. People can purchase the smaller size and keep getting refills of the smaller size and ingest the exact same quantity. Edicts that produce real benefits are supported by all. Wasteful or political edicts are unnecessary.
Tobacco farmers in East Tennessee who wanted to keep farming simply changed their crop. Corn is pretty lucrative these days as is cattle. My father now raises cattle and sells hay to farms in Georgia. He now makes more off of farming than he ever did. Over time, things change. The people who change with it do better than those who are reluctant to change.
My two cents of course.
Pete, what a refreshing change -someone actually posting information. No vulgar names, no spelling and/or punctuation remarks, no childishness. I actually read a post, a civil post. I'll have to mark this on my calendar.

Seriously, it is admirable what your father has done. Changing his crop shows someone who is willing to turn what he was comfortable with into something more beneficial for everyone else. Enjoyable post.
dblq

UK

#84643 Jun 19, 2013
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>He was a great actor who made great movies that for the most part, children could enjoy. He was nothing more than that to me. He seems to be of great importance to OA though.
It is strange that An old war hero such as yourself. Only thinks of John Wayne as an actor.
You never served in Nam did you?
dblq

UK

#84644 Jun 19, 2013
RIP Slim Whitman.
Thanks for saving us from Mars.
ACK !
really

United States

#84645 Jun 19, 2013
dblq wrote:
<quoted text>
It is strange that An old war hero such as yourself. Only thinks of John Wayne as an actor.
You never served in Nam did you?
Expect some advice on your spelling and grammar. I bet 10:1 this is going to happen. After he straightens you out, an answer to your question may follow. My 2 cents.
really

United States

#84646 Jun 19, 2013
dblq wrote:
RIP Slim Whitman.
Thanks for saving us from Mars.
ACK !
One of my favorite comedies ever. Now who is going to blow up the martians' heads if they come back? Slim Whitman, no one could yodel and sing like him. RIP sir.
really

United States

#84647 Jun 19, 2013
I just remembered. Didn't they blow up congress in that movie?
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#84648 Jun 19, 2013
Birds of a Feather, Flock Together

In the hallowed halls of Columbia University, a nest of ex-cons — who have served time for murder, attempted murder, robbery and assault — hold court on their unique brand of social justice for admiring students enrolled in the school's social work program .....

The ex-cons work for or with the Criminal Justice Initiative (CJI), co-founded in 2009 by former Weather Underground operative and Columbia adjunct professor Kathy Boudin, who pleaded guilty to felony murder for her role in an infamous 1981 armed robbery that left two police officers and a security guard dead.

Boudin was a member of radical leftist group the Weather Underground, which was responsible for numerous bombings in the 1960s and 1970s, including ones at the Pentagon, Capitol Building and New York's police headquarters.

The group was co-founded by William Ayers and his wife Bernadine Dohrn, who themselves went on to long careers in academia in Chicago. The couple was appointed the legal guardians of Boudin's son while she was in prison and has been linked to the early days of President Obama's political career.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#84649 Jun 19, 2013
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the Scarlet Pimpernel, I caught you like a fish.
Yes, sitting in a boat your son bought for you.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#84650 Jun 19, 2013
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>That's fair enough for me too, OA, though I will be here to remind you of your post, "Proving that I am probably where most of the rest of the country is, and that labels like beauty are in the eye of the beholder!"
Most conservatives don't post under the name "The Socialist," and most of the rest of the country is not anywhere close to socialism.
OA?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#84651 Jun 19, 2013
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>He was a great actor who made great movies that for the most part, children could enjoy. He was nothing more than that to me. He seems to be of great importance to OA though.
I'm not the one defending his "lack of character."
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#84652 Jun 19, 2013
While two brothers motivated by Islamic fundamentalism were carrying out the Boston Marathon bombing, the city was hard at work planning a mass casualty terrorism-training exercise in which the perpetrators were American militiamen whose logo includes Uncle Sam hats.

The Boston Globe revealed the plot of “Operation Urban Shield,” a simulation by the Department of Homeland Security costing $200,000. The program was slated to take place last weekend to train local Boston law-enforcement agencies to work together to thwart a terrorist threat.

The Boston newspaper reported officials from a dozen agencies had been meeting for months to plan the simulation and had already recruited students from Northeastern University and the Boston Police Academy to play the parts of terrorists and witnesses.

While the vast majority of all terrorist attacks worldwide are carried out by Muslims, the DHS program decided to train for a different set of antagonists.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#84653 Jun 19, 2013
dblq wrote:
<quoted text>
It is strange that An old war hero such as yourself. Only thinks of John Wayne as an actor.
You never served in Nam did you?
He claimed he did years ago, but then denied that he made such a claim sometime afterwards.
dblq

UK

#84654 Jun 19, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
He claimed he did years ago, but then denied that he made such a claim sometime afterwards.
Caught that. No credibility at all.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#84655 Jun 19, 2013
In front of an audience of about 2,000 young people, including many Catholics, Obama claimed that Catholic education divides people and blocks peace, according to the Scottish Catholic Observer.

Of course he is strangely quiet concerning the muslim religion as encouraging division and causing fear and resentment to harden.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#84656 Jun 19, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey OT, here is another thing we disagree on. I was born and raised in East Tennessee and my father and grandfather farmed tobacco. Anyone living in this area can probably remember the old tobacco warehouses on Roan St. in Johnson City and all the tobacco farms in Telford, Limestone, Jonesboro, Boones Creek, etc. Tobacco benefited this area for a long time, but that does not justify smoking and the ill effects from smoking. Smoking has killed more people than all the wars combined and costs exponentially more in terms of health and money. There simply is no justification for smoking. Yes, there is obesity, car accidents and many other things that harm people. Just because there are other things that harm people doesn't mean smoking is ok. Ideally, we would engage in nothing that degrades our quality of life. Smoking is not a political thing either. There are liberals who smoke, conservatives who smoke, libertarians who smoke, etc. Smoking affects everyone of all denominations disastrously.
The Bloomberg edict is a completely different issue than smoking. Conservatives realize this edict won't work. Why? Because anyone wanting a super size soft drink can just as easily purchase two of the smaller sizes and get the exact same quantity. People can purchase the smaller size and keep getting refills of the smaller size and ingest the exact same quantity. Edicts that produce real benefits are supported by all. Wasteful or political edicts are unnecessary.
Tobacco farmers in East Tennessee who wanted to keep farming simply changed their crop. Corn is pretty lucrative these days as is cattle. My father now raises cattle and sells hay to farms in Georgia. He now makes more off of farming than he ever did. Over time, things change. The people who change with it do better than those who are reluctant to change.
My two cents of course.
Well "Pete" we do disagree again, and this time on everything in this post ! Since tobacco is a legal product, sold everywhere, outsourcing production did nothing to curtail use, it just transferred the income from Tennessee farmers to Brazilian and Argentinian farmers, meanwhile, the price of cigarettes went up, and regulatory control of what is used on leaf by those farmers is no longer under USDA purview. Destroying the Tn. tobacco farmer, if it had saved some lives would be a good trade off, but it didn't save a single one. It just made RJR and Phillip Morris more money, and that was their plan.
Ask your dad how many acres of corn it would take to generate the income from one acre of tobacco, and how many calves it takes to replace the income from a 10,000 pound tobacco base. I already know, but then you will too.

Smoking isn't any different than drinking in my opinion. Both introduce a drug into the body, although, come to think of it, I haven't ever heard of any deaths from a driver who had sucked down a few cigarettes, at least not ones made with American tobacco.
HeHe

North Augusta, SC

#84657 Jun 19, 2013
Bayless wrote:
While two brothers motivated by Islamic fundamentalism were carrying out the Boston Marathon bombing, the city was hard at work planning a mass casualty terrorism-training exercise in which the perpetrators were American militiamen whose logo includes Uncle Sam hats.
The Boston Globe revealed the plot of “Operation Urban Shield,” a simulation by the Department of Homeland Security costing $200,000. The program was slated to take place last weekend to train local Boston law-enforcement agencies to work together to thwart a terrorist threat.
The Boston newspaper reported officials from a dozen agencies had been meeting for months to plan the simulation and had already recruited students from Northeastern University and the Boston Police Academy to play the parts of terrorists and witnesses.
While the vast majority of all terrorist attacks worldwide are carried out by Muslims, the DHS program decided to train for a different set of antagonists.
Does a terrorist's religion have any effect on how dead their victims are?
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#84658 Jun 19, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Well "Pete" we do disagree again, and this time on everything in this post ! Since tobacco is a legal product, sold everywhere, outsourcing production did nothing to curtail use, it just transferred the income from Tennessee farmers to Brazilian and Argentinian farmers, meanwhile, the price of cigarettes went up, and regulatory control of what is used on leaf by those farmers is no longer under USDA purview. Destroying the Tn. tobacco farmer, if it had saved some lives would be a good trade off, but it didn't save a single one. It just made RJR and Phillip Morris more money, and that was their plan.
Ask your dad how many acres of corn it would take to generate the income from one acre of tobacco, and how many calves it takes to replace the income from a 10,000 pound tobacco base. I already know, but then you will too.
Smoking isn't any different than drinking in my opinion. Both introduce a drug into the body, although, come to think of it, I haven't ever heard of any deaths from a driver who had sucked down a few cigarettes, at least not ones made with American tobacco.
You say you disagree with everything in Pete's post. Apparently you disagree with his statement: "Smoking has killed more people than all the wars combined and costs exponentially more in terms of health and money."

Now, it is irrelevant if you disagree or not - that part, at least, is fact. That said, I don't advocate cigarettes being banned outright - it still is a choice to smoke or not...no matter how bad it is for a person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who's got your vote for Congress in Kentucky's ... 1 hr Voter 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 hr fitness-guru 75,498
Election Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Old Guy 35,060
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 3 hr OMTE 63,851
Election Who's got your vote in the Tennessee Senate rac... 3 hr Mississippi gurl 4,632
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 4 hr NO SHRILLary in 2016 100,947
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr fart 794
More from around the web