Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Scarlett Pimple wrote:
Thereís no question that small town retailers are hurt when a Walmart comes in. Those that cannot find a way to compete, often go out of business. But thatís the way itís supposed to be.
Do you say the same thing when a McDonalds is built in a small town? How many small restaurants have been put out of business by McDonalds, or Burger King, or Wendyís?
Small businesses are definitely hurt when this happens. A lot of small businesses do go out of business when this happens. However, those that want to remain in business end up doing the exact same thing Walmart is doing to stay in business. Now instead of having one large retailer providing cheap goods at low wages, you now have a whole community doing it. The remedy - don't purchase from those retailers - large or small. They will get the message and start offering U.S.A. made goods.

I saw once where someone stated we should simply tariff China on all incoming imports to increase the costs of these goods so that U.S. brands can compete better. This has been tried numerous times and is being done today on a lot of goods. Any tariff, at least in my industry, is levied on specific factories in China, not the entire country. When a Chinese factory gets a tariff levied on it, the manufacturer simply moves the factory to another country, i.e. Viet Nam, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. It takes a long time to get a tariff initiated. After successfully obtaining tariff approval for some Chinese factories, there wasn't a lot of initiative left to go after factories in Viet Nam and the rest Asia. To this point, all tariffs do is move the factory to another foreign location. I guess you could simply tariff the rest of the world, but then our goods would be tariffed in their country. Works both ways.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with your assessment of the Wal-mart business model, but in addition to the damage they have done to American manufacturing and independant retailers, they have also institutionalized the subsidizing of their worker's low pay with taxpayer dollars in the form of healthcare, food stamps, HUD housing etc. MANY Wal-mart employees qualify for these programs and the company tacitly accepts the fact, even as they destroy the jobs that would provide a living wage with benefits. This becomes a win/win for the retail giant and American workers and the taxpayers pay the price.
OT, allow me to add to what you have already stated;
Now I remember reading an article about farmers and Wal-mart. I can't remember all of the details but it goes something like this.
Say a farmer has 100 acres of good producing land and Wal-mart comes in and states that they will buy as much corn(or whatever) from him at a very good price. The farmer grows whatever on his 100 acres and Wal-mart buys it at a very good price.
So for the next year the farmer buys extra equiptment to get his other land ready to harvest for the next year. He digs deeper into debt to produce a harvest that Wal-mart will buy.
But when it comes time to sell to Wal-mart, they say they will buy it, but this time at a very low price(knowing he is in debt).
So word gets out to many farmers not to fall for this little trick.
People I can't remember where I read this but it does sound possible.
Bottom line, don't do business with Wal-mart!

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
They are still in Chapter 11. They have basically sold off most of their assets, but I think they still have some assets from which to operate. However, what they are I don't know. I can't imagine anything they are doing that would have anything to do with helicopters, but I could be wrong. I have been gone from Nortel for about 11 years. They could have got into things they weren't participating in while I was there. But helicopters seems a bit of a reach for them.
Thanks for the info, Pete. Referencing the Helicopters, I wondered if it could be something in the communications system of the Helicopter. I didn't ask any questions because, if it's something Gov't. contracted in a time of War, in a Country involved in that War, I do not want to put the Person in a position of perhaps saying something they shouldn't. My curiousity is not that important, but the Country and the People involved in protecting us in any way, in a time like this, are of utmost importance, IMO.

I kinda go by that ole WWII famous saying..."Loose Lips Sink Ships"...and I don't want to be responsible for something like that, not even in an extremely minor way, so I didn't ask. Actually, that's why I didn't ask for the Name of the Co. to be repeated, when it was mentioned very quickly in a sentence, and I wasn't sure I heard it correctly.
j bear

Hurst, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

roxyb wrote:
How long does it take for ecstasy to wear off completely?someone put some n my water last night n it's lessened but I still feelin it
bb meat me n tha bdrom et mke u go oll dy n nite.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

On the subject of Walmart, since the Lazy Moderators had rather make idiotic comments , instead of doing their job and posting my registered Posts...I'll shorten my previous Post that didn't get posted.

I have been reading numerous Reports that Walmart is losing Customers by the droves because they won't employ enough People to keep the shelves stocked and because their prices are going up so much, so fast, for the same very low-quality items that Customer can purchase at the other Chain Retailers, cheaper and MUCH cheaper, in some cases.
Online shopping is becoming very popular and gives Customers access to those Lower Prices, even if there isn't a Store nearby.
Greed has taken over Walmart and it's taking them down fast, according to these same Reports. If something doesn't change, I predict Walmart will be the Retailer that it once was, in another year. Costco is fast becoming very popular, as well as Target, and several others that are making great strides, while Walmart is falling behind, quickly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Just alittle side-line comment, Folks...if you have trouble getting your Posts , posted, as a Registered User, try Unregistering. That seems to take away a lot of the ability of the Control Freak Moderators, if not all of it, to NOT post your comments, for no good reason!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
On the subject of Walmart, since the Lazy Moderators had rather make idiotic comments , instead of doing their job and posting my registered Posts...I'll shorten my previous Post that didn't get posted.
I have been reading numerous Reports that Walmart is losing Customers by the droves because they won't employ enough People to keep the shelves stocked and because their prices are going up so much, so fast, for the same very low-quality items that Customer can purchase at the other Chain Retailers, cheaper and MUCH cheaper, in some cases.
Online shopping is becoming very popular and gives Customers access to those Lower Prices, even if there isn't a Store nearby.
Greed has taken over Walmart and it's taking them down fast, according to these same Reports. If something doesn't change, I predict Walmart will be the Retailer that it once was, in another year. Costco is fast becoming very popular, as well as Target, and several others that are making great strides, while Walmart is falling behind, quickly.
That sounds about right. At least one of our family usually go in Walmart at least every 3 days and lately they never have what we need anymore.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>OT, allow me to add to what you have already stated;
Now I remember reading an article about farmers and Wal-mart. I can't remember all of the details but it goes something like this.
Say a farmer has 100 acres of good producing land and Wal-mart comes in and states that they will buy as much corn(or whatever) from him at a very good price. The farmer grows whatever on his 100 acres and Wal-mart buys it at a very good price.
So for the next year the farmer buys extra equiptment to get his other land ready to harvest for the next year. He digs deeper into debt to produce a harvest that Wal-mart will buy.
But when it comes time to sell to Wal-mart, they say they will buy it, but this time at a very low price(knowing he is in debt).
So word gets out to many farmers not to fall for this little trick.
People I can't remember where I read this but it does sound possible.
Bottom line, don't do business with Wal-mart!
Dunlapian, I saw a very similar Documentary on "Frontline" a few years ago, pertaining to "Rubbermaid" and Walmart. It said that Walmart would walk in and say, we'll pay you "x" amount for your product, take it or leave it.
Well, that would work when Walmart hugely dominated the Retail Market, World-wide, but that's not as much the case as it used to be for Walmart. Other Chain Retailers are making fast gains on that dominance and Customers are leaving Walmart and going to them, for cheaper prices and shelves kept stocked, with the same items. So, we'll see what happens, if Walmart doesn't get the Consumer Message and get out of the "Greed" Mode that's causing their downhill slide.
I've noticed a LOT of NEW different Brands , appearing constantly, on Walmart shelves, and recognized Brands disappearing, almost on a weekly basis. That is NOT a good sign for Walmart's competitiveness.
And Walmart is carrying more and more of their own Brands, which are usually pretty good, but the prices have gone up to just a few pennies below the Name Brand, while the quality has gone down, very rapidly! Again, that is NOT a good sign for Walmart.
Tired

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
Good, I hope people are starting to see the light where Walmart in concerned. Because of all the reasons posted previously and more, I do not like Walmart. I stopped shopping there a long time ago. They are a cheap junk retailed that has shoddy work practices, and I wish all Americans would boycott them. I will pay more to purchase something at a local drug store or grocery store before I would step foot on walmart property. And to OT and Pete's point, I will always pay more for American made if I can find it. I might pay more, but it will probably last 5 times longer than the cheap China junk that costs a few dollars less...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

I have come to the conclusion that alot of the Foreign Manufacturers are sending Walmart their "seconds" either because Walmart is paying less than their other Customers, or because Walmart has agreed to accept their "seconds" for a cheaper price.
It'll will be a Name Brand product in the Grocery Dept., but if you buy a Multi-pak, very seldom will all the Packs be first quality. Ther'll be, at least, one of two, in that Multi-Pak that should have been discarded as an inferior "First-Quality" Item. It won't hurt you, as far as I know, but it won't be up to the Manufacturer's Standards of a First Quality Item, in some way, like color, consistency, etc., and you won't find that except in Generic or Off-Brand Items, at Chain Grocery Stores. That's what Major Brands do with their "Seconds" in quality, they package and sell them as the Off-Brand and Generic Labels, even though they are all made in the same Plant , in almost every case.
But, at Walmart, they will be part of a Multi-pak all carrying the Name Brand Label.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Let me give you a specific example of what I'm talking about.
I knew somebody very well, who was the Head Quality Inspector at a "Hunt's" Pudding Manufacturing Plant. There would be nothing wrong with the Hunt's Pudding that would harm you, but occasionally the color or the consistency of a batch of pudding would not be up the Hunt's Standards.
So, that batch of Pudding would be labeled and sold in the Stores as "Del Monte" Pudding, NOT Hunt's", even though it was all made in the same Plant, by the same People.
I could also tell you some things that would make you never another canned or pre-packaged product, including Pudding, too...but just remember that it's all sterilized, so it might disgust you, but it will not harm you and we have to eat, so I'll leave it at that. I wouldn't want you to starve to death because it's all the same throughout the Food Manufacturing Industry.:)
TIMMY!

Cleveland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that alot of the Foreign Manufacturers are sending Walmart their "seconds" either because Walmart is paying less than their other Customers, or because Walmart has agreed to accept their "seconds" for a cheaper price.
It'll will be a Name Brand product in the Grocery Dept., but if you buy a Multi-pak, very seldom will all the Packs be first quality. Ther'll be, at least, one of two, in that Multi-Pak that should have been discarded as an inferior "First-Quality" Item. It won't hurt you, as far as I know, but it won't be up to the Manufacturer's Standards of a First Quality Item, in some way, like color, consistency, etc., and you won't find that except in Generic or Off-Brand Items, at Chain Grocery Stores. That's what Major Brands do with their "Seconds" in quality, they package and sell them as the Off-Brand and Generic Labels, even though they are all made in the same Plant , in almost every case.
But, at Walmart, they will be part of a Multi-pak all carrying the Name Brand Label.
It is true. Certain manufacturers make special "Walmart only" products. I saw a special about that on TV.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Oh, one more thing, this was when our Food Industry was all here in the U.S....I wonder what it's like now that it's manufactured in Foreign Countries! THAT does concern me, since I don't know if the U.S Regulations apply in those Countries, like they used to here.
I would say , "NO" since there has recently been so much publicity about "Horse Meat" being found in Name Brand Products that we've always been familiar with here in the States, instead of Ground Beef.
And BTW, if you didn't read any of the Links that I put up about the Horse Meat, the Ban on Horse Meat being used in Food Products in the U.S, expired in 2007, if memory serves, and it has NOT been renewed. So, think about that the next time you're eating your Chef-Boy-R-Dee, which was one of the Brands found to contain Horse Meat, in other Countries...among several other popular Brands here in the U.S.A.
Bon Appetit!:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="TIMMY!"]<quo ted text>
It is true. Certain manufacturers make special "Walmart only" products. I saw a special about that on TV.[/QUOTE]

Well, that pretty much answers the question I was wondering about, doesn't it? Thanks, TIMMY!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, I hope people are starting to see the light where Walmart in concerned. Because of all the reasons posted previously and more, I do not like Walmart. I stopped shopping there a long time ago. They are a cheap junk retailed that has shoddy work practices, and I wish all Americans would boycott them. I will pay more to purchase something at a local drug store or grocery store before I would step foot on walmart property. And to OT and Pete's point, I will always pay more for American made if I can find it. I might pay more, but it will probably last 5 times longer than the cheap China junk that costs a few dollars less...
Well, let me tell you something about that...because there are very few things made in the U.S., anymore, if anything, other than very large and extremely expensive Items, usually for places like Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, and NASA.
Now, to tell you something that I'll bet you didn't know. Let's take a Clothing Item, for instance...if something as small and insignificant as a button, zipper, or even the Thread that's used to make that Item, is made in the U.S., the Manufacturer can stick a Label on that Item that says, "Made in the U.S.A" and it's perfectly Legal!
If the Law has been changed on that, I don't know it...I just think that most Manufacturers see no reason to attempt to deceive the American People anymore because we all know that our Manufacturing Industry is almost completely gone to Foreign Markets. What I have noticed is that most Labels now, won't even tell you the Country the Item was made in. Instead the Label will say, "Made in U.S. and Foreign Countries"...or some variation of that statement. I'll betcha the Button or the Zipper, is the only thing Made in the U.S.
Even the dyes in everything from our Clothing to our Writing Pens is made in Foreign Countries, and it's of such inferior quality that I just get so frustrated doing laundry or writing a note, that I could scream! LOL!
It's the little things that drive me crazy, as you can tell.:)
If you've got any old Writing Pens that use Red Ink (Paper-mate, etc.), look at the difference in the color, as opposed to faded out Red, in any Pen of today.
BTW, if anybody knows of a good smooth-writing, bold color Wring Pen Brand, let me know. I've got a hundred of every Pen on the Market, as far as I know...and I hate all of them. But, I'm still looking for a good One and I don't care about the price...unless I have to mortgage my House to buy it. I just want a good Writing Pen, with Bold Colors, like all of them used to be...is that too much to ask? Lol!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

...Writing Pen...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

I even bought some Writing Pens that were supposed to be what Astronauts use, that were supposed to write upside-down, in any Degree of Cold Temperature...just any condition you want to Name and write well under any condition. THEY LIED! They're not worth squat. Lol!
They will write , if you put the paper up against a wall or some such, IF you work with them long enough and write a short text. Those Suckers were expensive , too. Like I said, it's the Little things that drive me Nuts.
But, I'm still searching.:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

If you're heavily invested in the Stock Market and can't afford to lose it, you really need to read this and consider it's information. The Original Source is "The Associated Press", reprinted by Yahoo.
----------
"Central Bank Group Warns Markets 'Under A Spell'."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/central-bank-group-warn...

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

On The Road Again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let me tell you something about that...because there are very few things made in the U.S., anymore, if anything, other than very large and extremely expensive Items, usually for places like Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, and NASA.
Now, to tell you something that I'll bet you didn't know. Let's take a Clothing Item, for instance...if something as small and insignificant as a button, zipper, or even the Thread that's used to make that Item, is made in the U.S., the Manufacturer can stick a Label on that Item that says, "Made in the U.S.A" and it's perfectly Legal!
If the Law has been changed on that, I don't know it...I just think that most Manufacturers see no reason to attempt to deceive the American People anymore because we all know that our Manufacturing Industry is almost completely gone to Foreign Markets. What I have noticed is that most Labels now, won't even tell you the Country the Item was made in. Instead the Label will say, "Made in U.S. and Foreign Countries"...or some variation of that statement. I'll betcha the Button or the Zipper, is the only thing Made in the U.S.
Even the dyes in everything from our Clothing to our Writing Pens is made in Foreign Countries, and it's of such inferior quality that I just get so frustrated doing laundry or writing a note, that I could scream! LOL!
It's the little things that drive me crazy, as you can tell.:)
If you've got any old Writing Pens that use Red Ink (Paper-mate, etc.), look at the difference in the color, as opposed to faded out Red, in any Pen of today.
BTW, if anybody knows of a good smooth-writing, bold color Wring Pen Brand, let me know. I've got a hundred of every Pen on the Market, as far as I know...and I hate all of them. But, I'm still looking for a good One and I don't care about the price...unless I have to mortgage my House to buy it. I just want a good Writing Pen, with Bold Colors, like all of them used to be...is that too much to ask? Lol!
As I have stated here before. I have picked up loads from packaging companies for export to other countries. The Loads are freshly printed boxes for products that are made in these countries. During loading of these boxes I had the opportunity to read the labeling. All of the boxes were clearly marked "Made in the USA". When I questioned them about the markings, I was told that the labeling was allowed because the boxes were truly made in the USA so it made no difference about the product inside that box.
SSS

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Judged:

I've had a long talk with myself. I've decided I may vote Republican in the next election. I've been ignorant far to long concerning the democrap agenda. I've seen the light.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••