|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too funny...
First you indicate that there is disagreement, now you declare that there is none.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
there is some dispute
some scholars
the usually agreed upon translation
Ummm, this is my post to which you are responding:

"You really need to stop straining so hard to try and make the motivations behind the phrases equivalent. They are not and anyone reading the two SHOULD readily see the difference."

And you are now claiming that I am saying there is no disagreement. Do you know what "equivalent" means?
Or are you arguing with the translation - yes, I stated that some scholars believe the translation is very strained to come up with anything approaching a "golden rule" parallel. However, conceding that such a (somewhat) similar adage exists, I used the translation that is commonly used.
This is the translation you used: "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you." It still contains the motivation of "do something to get something" rather than "do something because it is what you would wish done". One has a selfish motivation, one has an empathetic motivation - which I believe is a term you have recently used in regard to this discussion.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
While I am just working on a Veterinary degree, I do find myself talking with horses, dogs and cats. I find that they make much more sense than you and I.O. When I want to discuss politics, I just walk to the rearmost portion of the horse and speak to you directly.
+1 Thank you for the best laugh of the day (so far).

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>
High ranking Repugs have been calling for action in Syria for months!!! Wake up, its daylight outside and your dark mind needs a break. I personally think we should do nothing, but you are wrong trying to make this about Obama, it ain't.
The last time I checked, President Obama was still President of the U.S. and Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States. How about lighting a little match to put some light on that!

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for this submission which confirms the findings of the study. You've been a tremendous help.
So when are you going to buy my bridge?

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Damn, if they can get $15.00 an hour for flipping burgers, I am coming out of Retirement and going to work at my neighborhood Burger King.
The Unions have a lot of stupid people to work with but all that is going to happen is fast food business's are going to close or these employees are going to lose their jobs. That will leave many of those ignorant, unskilled employees out of work. Let them shuffle around in the unemployment lines awhile and see just how much they like that. They will soon see how much the unions will pay and support them since they lost their jobs. Nope, will not happen.

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Link for post above

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/local-...

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

To all my liberal Global Warming believers out there. That especially means I.O. and Oh My.
This is the latest report that should put sink stoppers in your mouths.
I am laughing so hard right now that I can barely contain myself. My you people look like gullible fools. BTW I still have that bridge for sale.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/28/global-...
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
This is the translation you used: "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you." It still contains the motivation of "do something to get something" rather than "do something because it is what you would wish done". One has a selfish motivation, one has an empathetic motivation - which I believe is a term you have recently used in regard to this discussion.
I suspect that you are serious...

So let's see,
"Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you."

is somehow different from

"Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you."

Looks to me like each phrase is a statement of "do something to get something", the only difference being the use of cause and wish.

Do something = be civil to others

Get something = civility from others

In either case, your action (extending cooperation, civility) is not a guarantee that an equal reaction will result, regardless of whether you think your efforts will CAUSE the desired result, or that you WISH for the desired result.

Would you like to go around again?
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>WHERE DID THE PHRASE "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" ORIGINATE?
The phrase originates in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut. Jefferson was responding to the Danbury Baptists' complaints that Connecticut's law was oppressive to their religion (among other things, Connecticut's law allowed towns to levy taxes for the support of a religion designated by the majority of voters; since Connecticut was overwhelmingly Congregationalist, the law effectively forced Baptists throughout the state to support Congregational churches). The Baptists, who knew of Jefferson's advocacy of separation, "honored [Jefferson] as an apostle of religious liberty. Much of their address sounded like [Jefferson's] bill for establishing religious freedom in Virginia, and they hoped that the sentiments of their 'beloved President' would prevail so that 'hierarchy and tyranny' would vanish from the earth" (Dumas Malone, Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, p. 109).
While Jefferson was powerless to change Connecticut's law (the First Amendment did not yet apply to the states), Jefferson used the occasion to express his belief that no such law could be implemented on the federal level. Observed Jefferson:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
Separationists have long taken Jefferson's "wall" metaphor as an accurate and historically significant summary of the intent of the First Amendment. Indeed, we take the metaphor so seriously that we are sometimes accused of worshipping Jefferson, as if the only reason we think the Constitution requires the separation of church and state is because Jefferson wrote his letter. But this is nonsense; the history of the Constitution and the First Amendment is well documented, and it suggests beyond doubt that the framers wanted to put as much distance between government and religion as possible. Jefferson's metaphor is simply a handy way of stating the obvious. If Jefferson had never written his letter, we would still be defending the wall, since the wall exists in the Constitution itself.
Great post.
Calling bs

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>
WHERE DID THE PHRASE "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" ORIGINATE?
The phrase originates in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut. Jefferson was responding to the Danbury Baptists' complaints that Connecticut's law was oppressive to their religion (among other things, Connecticut's law allowed towns to levy taxes for the support of a religion designated by the majority of voters; since Connecticut was overwhelmingly Congregationalist, the law effectively forced Baptists throughout the state to support Congregational churches). The Baptists, who knew of Jefferson's advocacy of separation, "honored [Jefferson] as an apostle of religious liberty. Much of their address sounded like [Jefferson's] bill for establishing religious freedom in Virginia, and they hoped that the sentiments of their 'beloved President' would prevail so that 'hierarchy and tyranny' would vanish from the earth" (Dumas Malone, Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, p. 109).
While Jefferson was powerless to change Connecticut's law (the First Amendment did not yet apply to the states), Jefferson used the occasion to express his belief that no such law could be implemented on the federal level. Observed Jefferson:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
Separationists have long taken Jefferson's "wall" metaphor as an accurate and historically significant summary of the intent of the First Amendment. Indeed, we take the metaphor so seriously that we are sometimes accused of worshipping Jefferson, as if the only reason we think the Constitution requires the separation of church and state is because Jefferson wrote his letter. But this is nonsense; the history of the Constitution and the First Amendment is well documented, and it suggests beyond doubt that the framers wanted to put as much distance between government and religion as possible. Jefferson's metaphor is simply a handy way of stating the obvious. If Jefferson had never written his letter, we would still be defending the wall, since the wall exists in the Constitution itself.
There is and never was a wall as you like to call it. Your pesky facts rely heavily upon opinion. However please do look and read what you posted and look at it closely. One denomination was unfairly treated when Connecticut adopted an official state denomination. Being fresh from release from the Church of England, I suspect and fully believe the idea was to prevent the state from adopting a state denomination. The idea was to treat all denominations fairly and equally, not to remove all religion from this country.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
While I am just working on a Veterinary degree, I do find myself talking with horses, dogs and cats. I find that they make much more sense than you and I.O. When I want to discuss politics, I just walk to the rearmost portion of the horse and speak to you directly.
Funniest (and most truthful) post of the day!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>
High ranking Repugs have been calling for action in Syria for months!!! Wake up, its daylight outside and your dark mind needs a break. I personally think we should do nothing, but you are wrong trying to make this about Obama, it ain't.
Oh yes this IS about Obama. He has been shooting from the mouth again and drew a line in the sand. NOW he has to back it up. That idiot NEVER knows when to keep his meddling mouth shut. NEVER. He will lose face if he doesn't follow through on his threat. So, YES THIS IS ABOUT OBAMA.
Where

Toccoa, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
To all my liberal Global Warming believers out there. That especially means I.O. and Oh My.
I am laughing so hard right now that I can barely contain myself. My you people look like gullible fools. BTW I still have that bridge for sale.
Thanks for the post.
Climate change supporters have created another economic engine of how "to fleece the public."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
Damn, if they can get $15.00 an hour for flipping burgers, I am coming out of Retirement and going to work at my neighborhood Burger King.
The Unions have a lot of stupid people to work with but all that is going to happen is fast food business's are going to close or these employees are going to lose their jobs. That will leave many of those ignorant, unskilled employees out of work. Let them shuffle around in the unemployment lines awhile and see just how much they like that. They will soon see how much the unions will pay and support them since they lost their jobs. Nope, will not happen.
Yep! Wonder if McDonald's "took" her management position or if she "lost" it for a reason. She didn't elaborate. Wonder where her baby daddy is? Wonder why he isn't helping financially? I guess they didn't know what to expect when they made particular decisions earlier in their lives.
Yeah, they are really helping Detroit NOW. Perhaps the young people watching this unfold will reevaluate their future plans and further their education. By then, maybe some decent jobs(any jobs?) will be available.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
Sink stopper???? I am laughing out loud. Good one. Too funny.
On a serious note, you'll NEVER get those two clueless wonders to admit to being wrong about ANYTHING. That's why they relate to Obama so well. He is so narcissistic, he simply WILL NOT be wrong. Pathetic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Too Bad wrote:
<quoted text>
What's yer point there, little booby?
You didn't get the point? Heck! A CAT could get the point. No offense, Loopy.
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Just more of your delusional lies, I'm sure. Say bye bye. The guys with the white jackets are coming for you.
"Just more of your delusional lies, I'm sure. Say bye bye. The guys with the white jackets are coming for you."

Almost, almost, you almost, attempted to rebut the facts presented.

Well not really. Since you can't rebut indisputable facts, and you can't admit you've been "owned", you resort to childish insults.

If only Right Wing Wackos were capable of experiencing "shame" - so much that has been lost would have been saved.

Ah well..... That's why we call them Wackos.
Calling bs

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Where wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the post.
Climate change supporters have created another economic engine of how "to fleece the public."
They continually do things that bring hardship to those they profess to care about. I can't decide whether they are really that inept or just that dishonest.
Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

General Robert E Lee wrote:
Obama's Affordable Care Act Looking a Bit Unaffordable

For the vast majority of Americans, premium prices will be higher in the individual exchange than what they're currently paying for employer-sponsored benefits, according to a National Journal analysis of new coverage and cost data. Adding even more out-of-pocket expenses to consumers' monthly insurance bills is a swell in deductibles under the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy ...
Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Another deadbeat freeloading Right Winger whining that he might have to pay for his own way, instead of stealing my hard-earned money.

Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Please President Obama, don't make me buy insurance. I want to keep forcing taxpayers and neighbors to carry me and my family on their shoulders.

If only Right Wing Wackos could feel "Shame."

Informed Opinion

North Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
Typical Right Winger.

Doesn't work;
enjoys all the government benefits he can slurp up;

and is terrified some working American, somewhere, might enjoy a decent life.

Why do Right Wingers hate their fellow citizens so much ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••