Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23597 Aug 29, 2013
pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>WHERE DID THE PHRASE "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" ORIGINATE?
The phrase originates in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut. Jefferson was responding to the Danbury Baptists' complaints that Connecticut's law was oppressive to their religion (among other things, Connecticut's law allowed towns to levy taxes for the support of a religion designated by the majority of voters; since Connecticut was overwhelmingly Congregationalist, the law effectively forced Baptists throughout the state to support Congregational churches). The Baptists, who knew of Jefferson's advocacy of separation, "honored [Jefferson] as an apostle of religious liberty. Much of their address sounded like [Jefferson's] bill for establishing religious freedom in Virginia, and they hoped that the sentiments of their 'beloved President' would prevail so that 'hierarchy and tyranny' would vanish from the earth" (Dumas Malone, Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, p. 109).
While Jefferson was powerless to change Connecticut's law (the First Amendment did not yet apply to the states), Jefferson used the occasion to express his belief that no such law could be implemented on the federal level. Observed Jefferson:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
Separationists have long taken Jefferson's "wall" metaphor as an accurate and historically significant summary of the intent of the First Amendment. Indeed, we take the metaphor so seriously that we are sometimes accused of worshipping Jefferson, as if the only reason we think the Constitution requires the separation of church and state is because Jefferson wrote his letter. But this is nonsense; the history of the Constitution and the First Amendment is well documented, and it suggests beyond doubt that the framers wanted to put as much distance between government and religion as possible. Jefferson's metaphor is simply a handy way of stating the obvious. If Jefferson had never written his letter, we would still be defending the wall, since the wall exists in the Constitution itself.
Great post.
Calling bs

Adel, GA

#23598 Aug 29, 2013
pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>
WHERE DID THE PHRASE "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" ORIGINATE?
The phrase originates in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut. Jefferson was responding to the Danbury Baptists' complaints that Connecticut's law was oppressive to their religion (among other things, Connecticut's law allowed towns to levy taxes for the support of a religion designated by the majority of voters; since Connecticut was overwhelmingly Congregationalist, the law effectively forced Baptists throughout the state to support Congregational churches). The Baptists, who knew of Jefferson's advocacy of separation, "honored [Jefferson] as an apostle of religious liberty. Much of their address sounded like [Jefferson's] bill for establishing religious freedom in Virginia, and they hoped that the sentiments of their 'beloved President' would prevail so that 'hierarchy and tyranny' would vanish from the earth" (Dumas Malone, Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, p. 109).
While Jefferson was powerless to change Connecticut's law (the First Amendment did not yet apply to the states), Jefferson used the occasion to express his belief that no such law could be implemented on the federal level. Observed Jefferson:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
Separationists have long taken Jefferson's "wall" metaphor as an accurate and historically significant summary of the intent of the First Amendment. Indeed, we take the metaphor so seriously that we are sometimes accused of worshipping Jefferson, as if the only reason we think the Constitution requires the separation of church and state is because Jefferson wrote his letter. But this is nonsense; the history of the Constitution and the First Amendment is well documented, and it suggests beyond doubt that the framers wanted to put as much distance between government and religion as possible. Jefferson's metaphor is simply a handy way of stating the obvious. If Jefferson had never written his letter, we would still be defending the wall, since the wall exists in the Constitution itself.
There is and never was a wall as you like to call it. Your pesky facts rely heavily upon opinion. However please do look and read what you posted and look at it closely. One denomination was unfairly treated when Connecticut adopted an official state denomination. Being fresh from release from the Church of England, I suspect and fully believe the idea was to prevent the state from adopting a state denomination. The idea was to treat all denominations fairly and equally, not to remove all religion from this country.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#23599 Aug 29, 2013
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
While I am just working on a Veterinary degree, I do find myself talking with horses, dogs and cats. I find that they make much more sense than you and I.O. When I want to discuss politics, I just walk to the rearmost portion of the horse and speak to you directly.
Funniest (and most truthful) post of the day!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#23600 Aug 29, 2013
pesky facts wrote:
<quoted text>
High ranking Repugs have been calling for action in Syria for months!!! Wake up, its daylight outside and your dark mind needs a break. I personally think we should do nothing, but you are wrong trying to make this about Obama, it ain't.
Oh yes this IS about Obama. He has been shooting from the mouth again and drew a line in the sand. NOW he has to back it up. That idiot NEVER knows when to keep his meddling mouth shut. NEVER. He will lose face if he doesn't follow through on his threat. So, YES THIS IS ABOUT OBAMA.
Where

Jefferson, GA

#23601 Aug 29, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
To all my liberal Global Warming believers out there. That especially means I.O. and Oh My.
This is the latest report that should put sink stoppers in your mouths.
I am laughing so hard right now that I can barely contain myself. My you people look like gullible fools. BTW I still have that bridge for sale.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/28/global-...
Thanks for the post.
Climate change supporters have created another economic engine of how "to fleece the public."

Location hidden

#23602 Aug 29, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
Damn, if they can get $15.00 an hour for flipping burgers, I am coming out of Retirement and going to work at my neighborhood Burger King.
The Unions have a lot of stupid people to work with but all that is going to happen is fast food business's are going to close or these employees are going to lose their jobs. That will leave many of those ignorant, unskilled employees out of work. Let them shuffle around in the unemployment lines awhile and see just how much they like that. They will soon see how much the unions will pay and support them since they lost their jobs. Nope, will not happen.
Yep! Wonder if McDonald's "took" her management position or if she "lost" it for a reason. She didn't elaborate. Wonder where her baby daddy is? Wonder why he isn't helping financially? I guess they didn't know what to expect when they made particular decisions earlier in their lives.
Yeah, they are really helping Detroit NOW. Perhaps the young people watching this unfold will reevaluate their future plans and further their education. By then, maybe some decent jobs(any jobs?) will be available.

Location hidden

#23603 Aug 29, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
To all my liberal Global Warming believers out there. That especially means I.O. and Oh My.
I am laughing so hard right now that I can barely contain myself. My you people look like gullible fools. BTW I still have that bridge for sale.
Sink stopper???? I am laughing out loud. Good one. Too funny.
On a serious note, you'll NEVER get those two clueless wonders to admit to being wrong about ANYTHING. That's why they relate to Obama so well. He is so narcissistic, he simply WILL NOT be wrong. Pathetic.

Location hidden

#23604 Aug 29, 2013
Too Bad wrote:
<quoted text>
What's yer point there, little booby?
You didn't get the point? Heck! A CAT could get the point. No offense, Loopy.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23605 Aug 29, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Just more of your delusional lies, I'm sure. Say bye bye. The guys with the white jackets are coming for you.
"Just more of your delusional lies, I'm sure. Say bye bye. The guys with the white jackets are coming for you."

Almost, almost, you almost, attempted to rebut the facts presented.

Well not really. Since you can't rebut indisputable facts, and you can't admit you've been "owned", you resort to childish insults.

If only Right Wing Wackos were capable of experiencing "shame" - so much that has been lost would have been saved.

Ah well..... That's why we call them Wackos.
Calling bs

Adel, GA

#23606 Aug 29, 2013
Where wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the post.
Climate change supporters have created another economic engine of how "to fleece the public."
They continually do things that bring hardship to those they profess to care about. I can't decide whether they are really that inept or just that dishonest.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23607 Aug 29, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
Obama's Affordable Care Act Looking a Bit Unaffordable

For the vast majority of Americans, premium prices will be higher in the individual exchange than what they're currently paying for employer-sponsored benefits, according to a National Journal analysis of new coverage and cost data. Adding even more out-of-pocket expenses to consumers' monthly insurance bills is a swell in deductibles under the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy ...
Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Another deadbeat freeloading Right Winger whining that he might have to pay for his own way, instead of stealing my hard-earned money.

Waaaaaahhhhhh !

Please President Obama, don't make me buy insurance. I want to keep forcing taxpayers and neighbors to carry me and my family on their shoulders.

If only Right Wing Wackos could feel "Shame."

Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23608 Aug 29, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
Damn, if they can get $15.00 an hour for flipping burgers, I am coming out of Retirement and going to work at my neighborhood Burger King.
The Unions have a lot of stupid people to work with but all that is going to happen is fast food business's are going to close or these employees are going to lose their jobs. That will leave many of those ignorant, unskilled employees out of work. Let them shuffle around in the unemployment lines awhile and see just how much they like that. They will soon see how much the unions will pay and support them since they lost their jobs. Nope, will not happen.
Typical Right Winger.

Doesn't work;
enjoys all the government benefits he can slurp up;

and is terrified some working American, somewhere, might enjoy a decent life.

Why do Right Wingers hate their fellow citizens so much ?
Where

Jefferson, GA

#23609 Aug 29, 2013
Our court Jester on the World Stage
has been called upon by the U.N. Security Council to do his clown tricks regarding Syria....

"Russia calls urgent meeting of Security Council
August 29, 2013"

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Russia_calls_u...
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23610 Aug 29, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:

Those damn liberal glaciers are intentionally melting just be be politically correct.

Well - we Right Wingers ain't buying it.

Forget what that dope smoking wild and crazy folks at the USGS report :

WHY ARE THEY MELTING? Glaciers, by their dynamic nature, respond to climate variation and reveal the big picture of climate change. Unable to adapt, like living creatures, GNP’s relatively small alpine glaciers are good indicators of climate, the long-term average of daily weather conditions. While occasional big winters or frigid weeks may occur, the glaciers of GNP, like most worldwide, are melting as long term mean temperatures increase. Glaciers are like a visual checking account of the status of the cold part of the ecosystem. Analysis of weather data from western Montana shows an increase in summer temperatures and a reduction in the winter snowpack that forms and maintains the glaciers. Since 1900 the mean annual temperature for GNP and the surrounding region has increased 1.33°C (Pederson et al. 2010), which is 1.8 times the global mean increase. Spring and summer minimum temperatures have also increased (Pederson et al. 2010), possibly influencing earlier melt during summer. Additionally, rain, rather than snow, has been the dominant form of increased annual precipitation in the past century (Selkowitz et al. 2002). Despite variations in annual snowpack, glaciers have continued to shrink, indicating that the snowpack is not adequate to counteract the temperature changes.

In conjunction with the past century’s long-term temperature increase, ocean-driven climate trends (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) influence GNP’s regional climate. Tree-ring based climate records reveal PDO effects that have resulted in 20-30 year periods of hot, dry summers coupled with decreased winter snowpack (Pederson et al. 2004). These periods have induced rapid recession, as high as 100 m/yr between 1917-1941, and influence the current rate of recession. Even during cooler phases of the PDO cycle, glaciers have continued to shrink, albeit at a slower rate.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#23611 Aug 29, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't get the point? Heck! A CAT could get the point. No offense, Loopy.
You are perhaps a "cat" could understand your post.

Unfortunately for you, Earth,(unlike Right Wing Wacko Planet- which apparently contains an abundance of felines), is inhabited by humans.

A
HaHaGoodOne

Alpharetta, GA

#23612 Aug 29, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
"Just more of your delusional lies, I'm sure. Say bye bye. The guys with the white jackets are coming for you."
Well not really. Since you can't rebut indisputable facts, and you can't admit you've been "owned", you resort to childish insults.
If only Right Wing Wackos were capable of experiencing "shame" - so much that has been lost would have been saved.
You presented no facts. Just more of your delusional rantings. Hope you look good in white jackets with straps. They are coming for you.

Location hidden

#23613 Aug 29, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
lol Facts???? You make it up as you go. If you weren't such a traitor, you "might" actually post something with some relevance. Nahhhhhh.....won't happen.

Location hidden

#23614 Aug 29, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
You are perhaps a "cat" could understand your post.
Unfortunately for you, Earth,(unlike Right Wing Wacko Planet- which apparently contains an abundance of felines), is inhabited by humans.
A
Give it up. I owned you. Traitors like you always get bested. ALL you do is repeat your same old delusional ramblings. We normal people on planet Reality just shake our heads and laugh.

Location hidden

#23615 Aug 29, 2013
HaHaGoodOne wrote:
<quoted text>
You presented no facts. Just more of your delusional rantings. Hope you look good in white jackets with straps. They are coming for you.
Poor thing. He keeps listening to the voices in his head. Those voices need to tell him to hush because he is sounding like a crazy man.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#23616 Aug 29, 2013
Calling bs wrote:
<quoted text>
They continually do things that bring hardship to those they profess to care about. I can't decide whether they are really that inept or just that dishonest.
The dishonest ones are guiding the inept ones around by their rings in their noses.
No telling how many bridges the inept ones have bought from the dishonest ones.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 47 min Well 279,542
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 3 hr deals 101,390
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 5 hr Rattlesnake Pete 924
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 8 hr Trump Art of the ... 110,055
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Illinois... (Oct '10) 16 hr NavalHistory 55
Election Who's got your vote for Congress in New York's ... (Nov '14) Jul 20 Searching 2
Election OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Muck 83,990
More from around the web