Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutional Amendment Question 1

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 7, 2010

3,447 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

and meanwhile

Junction City, KS

#4920 Jan 19, 2013
three people are injured at a gunshow when a gun is accidentally discharged. Fortunately no serious injuries.
Door King

Corpus Christi, TX

#4921 Jan 19, 2013
rod

Waverly, KS

#4922 Jan 19, 2013
Never walk around with a round in the chamber dumba$$.

Since: Sep 07

Drearyville KS

#4925 Jan 20, 2013
Sheeple
regulate morality

Independence, KS

#4926 Jan 20, 2013
Walter E. Williams Column: Erosion of Traditional Values, Not Guns, to Blame for Senseless Violence

When I attended primary and secondary school — during the 1940s and '50s — one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on the subways and, upon arrival, turned them over to their homeroom teacher or the gym coach and retrieved their rifles after school for target practice. Virginia's rural areas had a long tradition of high-school students going hunting in the morning before school and sometimes storing their rifles in the trunks of their cars that were parked on school grounds. Often a youngster's 12th or 14th birthday present was a shiny new .22-caliber rifle, given to him by his father.
Today's level of civility can't match yesteryear's. Many of today's youngsters begin the school day passing through metal detectors. Guards patrol school hallways, and police cars patrol outside. Despite these measures, assaults, knifings and shootings occur. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2010 there were 828,000 nonfatal criminal incidents in schools. There were 470,000 thefts and 359,000 violent attacks, of which 91,400 were serious. In the same year, 145,100 public-school teachers were physically attacked, and 276,700 were threatened.
What explains today's behavior versus yesteryear's? For well over a half-century, the nation's liberals and progressives — along with the education establishment, pseudo-intellectuals and the courts — have waged war on traditions, customs and moral values. These people taught their vision, that there are no moral absolutes, to our young people. To them, what's moral or immoral is a matter of convenience, personal opinion or a consensus.
During the '50s and '60s, the education establishment launched its agenda to undermine lessons children learned from their parents and the church with fads such as "values clarification." So-called sex education classes are simply indoctrination that sought to undermine family and church strictures against premarital sex. Lessons of abstinence were ridiculed and considered passé and replaced with lessons about condoms, birth control pills and abortions. Further undermining of parental authority came with legal and extralegal measures to assist teenage abortions with neither parental knowledge nor consent.
Customs, traditions, moral values and rules of etiquette, not laws and government regulations, are what make for a civilized society. These behavioral norms — transmitted by example, word of mouth and religious teachings — represent a body of wisdom distilled through ages of experience, trial and error, and looking at what works. The importance of customs, traditions and moral values as a means of regulating behavior is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. Police and laws can never replace these restraints on personal conduct so as to produce a civilized society. At best, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. The more uncivilized we become the more laws that are needed to regulate behavior.

regulate morality cont

Independence, KS

#4927 Jan 20, 2013
Many customs, traditions and moral values have been discarded without an appreciation for the role they played in creating a civilized society, and now we're paying the price. What's worse is that instead of a return to what worked, people want to replace what worked with what sounds good, such as zero-tolerance policies in which bringing a water pistol, drawing a picture of a pistol, or pointing a finger and shouting "bang-bang" produces a school suspension or arrest. Seeing as we've decided that we should rely on gun laws to control behavior, what should be done to regulate clubs and hammers? After all, FBI crime statistics show that more people are murdered by clubs and hammers than rifles and shotguns.
Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University. To find out more about Walter E. Williams and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com .

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4928 Jan 20, 2013
regulate morality cont wrote:
Many customs, traditions and moral values have been discarded without an appreciation for the role they played in creating a civilized society, and now we're paying the price. What's worse is that instead of a return to what worked, people want to replace what worked with what sounds good, such as zero-tolerance policies in which bringing a water pistol, drawing a picture of a pistol, or pointing a finger and shouting "bang-bang" produces a school suspension or arrest. Seeing as we've decided that we should rely on gun laws to control behavior, what should be done to regulate clubs and hammers? After all, FBI crime statistics show that more people are murdered by clubs and hammers than rifles and shotguns.
Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University. To find out more about Walter E. Williams and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com .
More attempted misdirection / red herring arguments(regulate clubs and hammers my arse) and denial. All you firearm extremists want the rest of us to ignore the evolution in firearms toward more efficient killing machines and to pretend their evolution and the current loose firearm regulations haven't contributed to the current gun tragedies.
The morally honest would admit they have. I try to exist in the here and now, not in some make-believe past time when men were men and ruled the roost, before we gave blacks and women the right to vote. So lets get out of the way back machine and look for some sensible solution to our recent weekly firearms mass murder news cycle, okay?
One sensible solution would be to put minimal restrictions on more efficient human killing firearms and high count magazines. If we pull up the big boy pants and stop giving psychos among you gun extremists free and unfettered access to kiling machine firearms, perhaps it'd make it tougher for them to kill 20 6-year-olds at a time.
By my rough calculations Walter Williams is in his mid-70s to 80s. Oldsters almost always dwell in the past. It's okay for them to do so. They're old and near death, so they have to reminisce on some time in their golden past when they were still vital and alive and where everything was all special and so very Leave it to Beaver-like.
Have large sections of society lost all sense of right and wrong and have little or no regard for human life? Yeah! Are you "have to pry my gun out of my cold dead hands" folks among them? Sadly many of you appear to be. If you believe giving everyone free access to the firearm of their choice would fix that, stop smoking the ditch weed.
You non-retirees who dwell in the past need to invent a time machine and return to the 1940s and 1950s. Us reality-based folks won't miss you. Some of you gun extremists can follow them back in time machine to the 1840s and 1850s. Take your human killing firearms with you please. You might be able to survive that road trip to Dodge City.
what a joke

Junction City, KS

#4929 Jan 20, 2013
The same individuals calling for morality to be regulated piss and moan about "Big Government" and call for less government. You can`t have it both ways.

Since: Sep 07

Drearyville KS

#4930 Jan 20, 2013
We are living in the safest period in our history and the reduction in the rate of firearms deaths is as likely related to the fact that fewer homes have them and better medical care than it is to the proliferation of gun collectors. The latter have a financial stake in an open gun market and care nothing about rights. Fewer and fewer people (rates) own more and more guns. How does that solve anything?

“Conscience of the Hearland”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

#4931 Jan 20, 2013
regulate morality wrote:
Walter E. Williams Column
Yeah, quoting America's #1 Uncle Tom is persuasive, not.
When I attended primary and secondary school — during the 1940s and '50s — one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today.
Translation: Curmudgeonly cognitive dissonance ahead.
Today's level of civility can't match yesteryear's
Yeah, those Klan nightriders were sure "civil" to your ancestors, you mercenary old fart.
For well over a half-century, the nation's liberals and progressives — along with the education establishment, pseudo-intellectuals and the courts — have waged war on traditions, customs and moral values. These people taught their vision, that there are no moral absolutes, to our young people. To them, what's moral or immoral is a matter of convenience, personal opinion or a consensus.
If anyone took him seriously besides the rubes who believe Faux News, they'd take back his doctorate for writing such stupid, simplistic lies.
During the '50s and '60s, the education establishment launched its agenda to undermine lessons children learned from their parents and the church with fads such as "values clarification." So-called sex education classes are simply indoctrination that sought to undermine family and church strictures against premarital sex.
Soulds like poor ole Walt's upset he missed all the fun. He coulda poked several white women if he was young around 1972 and had a full Afro, he's thinking.
Lessons of abstinence were ridiculed and considered passé and replaced with lessons about condoms, birth control pills and abortions.
See above comment.
Further undermining of parental authority came with legal and extralegal measures to assist teenage abortions with neither parental knowledge nor consent.
Sorry, no. Abortion never required parental consent.
Customs, traditions, moral values and rules of etiquette, not laws and government regulations, are what make for a civilized society. These behavioral norms — transmitted by example, word of mouth and religious teachings — represent a body of wisdom distilled through ages of experience, trial and error, and looking at what works. The importance of customs, traditions and moral values as a means of regulating behavior is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. Police and laws can never replace these restraints on personal conduct so as to produce a civilized society. At best, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. The more uncivilized we become the more laws that are needed to regulate behavior.
MORE MAUDLIN CRAPOLA. Poor Walt thinks his cheap, outmoded values were replaced by nothing. Instead they were replaced by other values such as those which see his tomming for what it is.

“Conscience of the Hearland”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

#4932 Jan 20, 2013
regulate morality cont wrote:
Many customs, traditions and moral values have been discarded without an appreciation for the role they played in creating a civilized society
Yeah, traditions like lynching, segregation, and nightriding, whicha re values held by the scum whose rectums Williams gleeful;ly licks.
and now we're paying the price. What's worse is that instead of a return to what worked, people want to replace what worked with what sounds good, such as zero-tolerance policies in which bringing a water pistol, drawing a picture of a pistol, or pointing a finger and shouting "bang-bang" produces a school suspension or arrest.
Like a lot of ignorant asses, Williams confuses the authoritarianism of bargain basement fascists like vice principals with liberalism.
Seeing as we've decided that we should rely on gun laws to control behavior, what should be done to regulate clubs and hammers? After all, FBI crime statistics show that more people are murdered by clubs and hammers than rifles and shotguns.
Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at
More simplistic crap to manipulate the rubes. Williams job is to assauge the hurt widdle feewings of the gunfags as they die out. Well, done, Rochester!

“Conscience of the Hearland”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

#4933 Jan 20, 2013
door king wrote:
We are living in the safest period in our history and the reduction in the rate of firearms deaths is as likely related to the fact that fewer homes have them and better medical care than it is to the proliferation of gun collectors. The latter have a financial stake in an open gun market and care nothing about rights. Fewer and fewer people (rates) own more and more guns. How does that solve anything?
Gun manufacturers and merchants are just the Medellin Cartel of a product even more destructive.
d-oo-b

Junction City, KS

#4934 Jan 20, 2013
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, quoting America's #1 Uncle Tom is persuasive, not.
<quoted text>
Translation: Curmudgeonly cognitive dissonance ahead.
<quoted text>
Yeah, those Klan nightriders were sure "civil" to your ancestors, you mercenary old fart.
<quoted text>
If anyone took him seriously besides the rubes who believe Faux News, they'd take back his doctorate for writing such stupid, simplistic lies.
<quoted text>
Soulds like poor ole Walt's upset he missed all the fun. He coulda poked several white women if he was young around 1972 and had a full Afro, he's thinking.
<quoted text>
See above comment.
<quoted text>
Sorry, no. Abortion never required parental consent.
<quoted text>
MORE MAUDLIN CRAPOLA. Poor Walt thinks his cheap, outmoded values were replaced by nothing. Instead they were replaced by other values such as those which see his tomming for what it is.
The Racial Slur Database ( http://www.rsdb.org/ ) which has been sited in literally thousands of legal cases as prima facie evidence and offering of record demonstrates that the term "Uncle Tom" is akin to the foulest of ethnic slurs.

If The Kangaroo is truly not a racist and misspoke out of frustration then he will retract his disgusting statement. If not, he may as well have used the N word.
Chilli you dumarse

Independence, KS

#4935 Jan 20, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>
More attempted misdirection / red herring arguments(regulate clubs and hammers my arse) and denial. All you firearm extremists want the rest of us to ignore the evolution in firearms toward more efficient killing machines and to pretend their evolution and the current loose firearm regulations haven't contributed to the current gun tragedies.
The morally honest would admit they have. I try to exist in the here and now, not in some make-believe past time when men were men and ruled the roost, before we gave blacks and women the right to vote. So lets get out of the way back machine and look for some sensible solution to our recent weekly firearms mass murder news cycle, okay?
One sensible solution would be to put minimal restrictions on more efficient human killing firearms and high count magazines. If we pull up the big boy pants and stop giving psychos among you gun extremists free and unfettered access to kiling machine firearms, perhaps it'd make it tougher for them to kill 20 6-year-olds at a time.
By my rough calculations Walter Williams is in his mid-70s to 80s. Oldsters almost always dwell in the past. It's okay for them to do so. They're old and near death, so they have to reminisce on some time in their golden past when they were still vital and alive and where everything was all special and so very Leave it to Beaver-like.
Have large sections of society lost all sense of right and wrong and have little or no regard for human life? Yeah! Are you "have to pry my gun out of my cold dead hands" folks among them? Sadly many of you appear to be. If you believe giving everyone free access to the firearm of their choice would fix that, stop smoking the ditch weed.
You non-retirees who dwell in the past need to invent a time machine and return to the 1940s and 1950s. Us reality-based folks won't miss you. Some of you gun extremists can follow them back in time machine to the 1840s and 1850s. Take your human killing firearms with you please. You might be able to survive that road trip to Dodge City.
When it comes down to brass tacks ALL you did was say pretty much the same thing he did! All you did was whine because he is an old! Get your head out of your butt and pay attention! Or are you one of the immorals sociopaths he is talking about in our modern era?
Jim

Oklahoma City, OK

#4936 Jan 20, 2013
Door King wrote:
" Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns."
If you wanted to stop criminals from carrying guns you'd stop insisting you have a right to private sales without background checks. The reason we have the problem is assholes like you selling weapons at gun shows and privately.
Most criminals Steal their Guns why pay the high price of a good gun when you can steal it !
gunowner

United States

#4937 Jan 20, 2013
How about this for a change instead of just regulating the guns that so many of you think is the problem lets start regulating and registering any item that has been used in a violent crime. Would that make everyone happy.

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4938 Jan 20, 2013
Chilli you dumarse wrote:
<quoted text>When it comes down to brass tacks ALL you did was say pretty much the same thing he did! All you did was whine because he is an old! Get your head out of your butt and pay attention! Or are you one of the immorals sociopaths he is talking about in our modern era?
If you actually read his "I remember how great things were way back when" silly revisionist reverie and my post and think we said "pretty much the same thing", you've confirmed your reading comprehension sucks. Thanks for confirming that. Here's your pointy hat. Put it on now and go sit in the corner until I tell you that you can stop.

Since: Sep 07

Drearyville KS

#4939 Jan 20, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Most criminals Steal their Guns why pay the high price of a good gun when you can steal it !
They steal them from you! You are the supplier. If you didn't leave them around unsecured like boxes of popcorn, that wouldn't happen. 500,000 guns are stolen each year because you leave them in gun racks in pickup trucks. You are responsible for the mayhem. You should be responsible for your negligence just as in other civil matter.

“Conscience of the Hearland”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

#4940 Jan 20, 2013
d-oo-b wrote:
<quoted text>
The Racial Slur Database ( http://www.rsdb.org/ ) which has been sited in literally thousands of legal cases as prima facie evidence and offering of record demonstrates that the term "Uncle Tom" is akin to the foulest of ethnic slurs.
If The Kangaroo is truly not a racist and misspoke out of frustration then he will retract his disgusting statement. If not, he may as well have used the N word.
"Uncle Tom" is an appropriate term for Blacks who act against the interests of their race and Williams is without a doubt one. It is no more "racist" than calling someone stoopid. Being called a racist by a scumbag like jerry is a badge of honor.
lol

Junction City, KS

#4941 Jan 20, 2013
Go ahead, George. You know you want to.



Racists can't help themselves. It always comes down to some form of justification. You're a racist, George.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Citizen Sound-Off Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Abe 162,782
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 18 min Freddy Flatus 742
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 22 min hillbilly 62,658
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 35 min miss tuffet 160,503
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr xxxrayted 33,904
OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 2 hr Justaminute 78,404
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 2 hr Not Landrieu 4,182

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE