U.S. regulators to seek $16.4m Toyota...

U.S. regulators to seek $16.4m Toyota fine

There are 8 comments on the CNN story from Apr 6, 2010, titled U.S. regulators to seek $16.4m Toyota fine. In it, CNN reports that:

US transport regulators are seeking to fine Toyota $16.4m -- the maximum allowed -- for not telling them sooner about defects in its cars that caused them to accelerate out of control, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#1 Apr 6, 2010
It's a drop in the bucket for Toyota, they need to pay the fine immediately and move on as quickly as possible.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#2 Apr 6, 2010
U.S. regulators to seek $16.4m Toyota fine

they should have made it 60 million...end of story

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#4 Apr 11, 2010
US regulators should be fired because they failed to do their job. If the european countries knew about this, then the US regulators should have been all over this problem. Where were they? Sitting on their lazy asses collecting a paycheck from the middle class americans that provide them with most of their income. Arent they suposed to be helping to protect americans by regulating? Just more corruption, they'll cover their butts by blaming Toyota for the lack of interest in doing their jobs properly.Toyota will survive.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#5 Apr 11, 2010
Toyota is just liberal trash anyway!!!

“I Believe in Christ”

Since: Nov 08

Grand Prairie, TX

#6 Apr 11, 2010
They should have made it $16.4 M for every person who lost a family member riding around in those deathtraps. Or,$16.4 M per faulty car. I was disgusted to see such a low number. That is all a multi-billion dollar company gets fined for KNOWINGLY putting those cars on the road?? They have made it awfully apparent that the American people are no longer our government's concern...I hope the many civil cases against Toyota produce better results...

“I Believe in Christ”

Grand Prairie, TX

#7 Apr 11, 2010
Vance1 wrote:
Toyota is just liberal trash anyway!!!
I agree. I'm a Ford girl, myself. I've always liked Fords, but they sealed the deal with me when they rejected the stimulus money and then managed to squirt out the biggest gross profit last year of the American car companies. Excellent cars, increasing quality, and smart business. It is unfortunate that lives were lost in Toyota's ordeal, but the many people who have lost faith in Honda and Toyota have started buying American cars, which stimulates our economy. Silver lining...

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#8 Apr 11, 2010
what about lives lost in the ford pinto problem. or the crown vic deal, effecting a lot of law enforcement vehicles. wake up, this is about US regulators trying to cover up the fact they didnt do their job, so lets blame it on the japanese.

“I Believe in Christ”

Grand Prairie, TX

#9 Apr 11, 2010
When Ford recognized the problem, they fixed it without any outside pressure. Toyota's problem is that they KNEW these cars had problems, and they pushed on with production. The problem lies in the fact that the faulty cars passed inspection. Brand new, there was nothing wrong with them. The US Regulators don't see the supposedly rigorous testing/building of the vehicles. They see the finished products and the blueprints. If all goes well on that diagnostic test, the car is good to go. Toyota knew back before these cars were released that there would eventually be problems with the accelerator, but they didn't do anything about it. Prototypes and parts are tested rigorously before mass production, and they found that the accelerator had problems after about 35,000 miles. They just figured that it wasn't important enough to fix right then because it wouldn't be noticeable right away. Toyota kept the bad reports and sent only the good reports to the US Regulators. Toyota is the only one to blame in this situation. They knew, they lied, and now that they've been caught they are trying to pass the blame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toyota headquarters in Torrance sold for $270 m... Oct '17 Raydot 4
News Toyota bets on sprawling Kentucky plant with $1... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Solarman 1
News 2016 Prius Four is a smarter, sleeker version o... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Solarman 1
News Toyota adding 180 jobs at Indiana factory (Sep '14) Jan '15 Sirmixalot 2
News Toyota to donate $1 million to the Detroit Inst... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Kevin 3
News Eric Holder blasts Toyota's "shameful" deceptio... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Far Away 1
News Toyota gives Muppets a lift to Tinseltown (Mar '14) Mar '14 Root 4
More from around the web