The safety police go after Toyota again

The safety police go after Toyota again

There are 6 comments on the Fortune story from Feb 10, 2011, titled The safety police go after Toyota again. In it, Fortune reports that:

The word of the rocket scientists apparently wasn't good enough. The Washington safety lobby wants more proof that Toyotas are free from electronic gremlins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fortune.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#1 Feb 10, 2011
It sounds like xenophobes and rabid pro-union people are doing their best to cripple a company, even after they paid dearly for their wrongs and have been exonerated from further wrong from government experts. Lets not make Ford or GM any better or less expensive (like by disbanding auto unions and enforcing pay caps on execs), but cripple their competitors instead to increase the business sent their way.
wonc

United States

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Xenophobe? Our country did same thing to European maker Audi. How come we should give a break to Asian company? As an Asian man, I am not totally offended. It has nothing to do with my race. It has something to do with company's defective products and their unwillingness to correct problem.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#3 Feb 10, 2011
wonc wrote:
Xenophobe? Our country did same thing to European maker Audi. How come we should give a break to Asian company? As an Asian man, I am not totally offended. It has nothing to do with my race. It has something to do with company's defective products and their unwillingness to correct problem.
Ah, but they already addressed the floor mats and pedals, and are installing fail safe code. They did their share and paid already. And you actually made my point by mentioning a German manufacturer. Anyone who is not GM or Ford, both overpriced pieces of junk made by slackers, is going to get bashed under the Obama administration. NASA already proved electronics is not an issue. These people are not out for safety, but partisanship and blood.

I am not taking up for them because they are Asian. I've have bad experiences with Asians in my town and blame some of them for certain bigoted acts, so I have no reason to take up for them. However, Toyota represents "foreigners" as do Volkswagen/Audi/BMW, and this left-wing administration is sweeping the sins of our own auto makers under the rug, but persecuting those who are not a part of the unions backing the Democratic party or are not one of our big 3. This all just stinks of more takeover. And not finding anything wrong, they decide to turn up the heat on their witch hunt. Maybe it is time for Chris Crocker to do another video - "Leave Toyota Alone! <boo hoo hoo>"
wonc

United States

#4 Feb 10, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but they already addressed the floor mats and pedals, and are installing fail safe code. They did their share and paid already. And you actually made my point by mentioning a German manufacturer. Anyone who is not GM or Ford, both overpriced pieces of junk made by slackers, is going to get bashed under the Obama administration. NASA already proved electronics is not an issue. These people are not out for safety, but partisanship and blood.
I am not taking up for them because they are Asian. I've have bad experiences with Asians in my town and blame some of them for certain bigoted acts, so I have no reason to take up for them. However, Toyota represents "foreigners" as do Volkswagen/Audi/BMW, and this left-wing administration is sweeping the sins of our own auto makers under the rug, but persecuting those who are not a part of the unions backing the Democratic party or are not one of our big 3. This all just stinks of more takeover. And not finding anything wrong, they decide to turn up the heat on their witch hunt. Maybe it is time for Chris Crocker to do another video - "Leave Toyota Alone! <boo hoo hoo>"
Sorry I don't have problem with GM and Ford. Their qualities have no difference with Japanese car makers. I have tried both Nissan Altima and Buick Lucerene, and their interior and road noise are virtually identical. Also I found out that American cars are generally cheaper in used car market, so my choice definitely goes to American.
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#6 Feb 11, 2011
The article written by Forune Magazine (Highly respected rag BTW)isn't too flattering toward the effort by Ditlow and Co. to diss the NTSA's findings.
Frankly, the article poo-poos the whole thing.
Personally I feel the effort these naysayers are flouting is just a publicity grab.
The NTSA's examination of the issue was clearly exhausive, and its decision appears to be unequivocable.
NIno Cruz

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Feb 11, 2011
Toyota Vehicles made a nice come back. It's a tragedy hearing all the heartbreaking accidents in the past.

I'm not trying to prove their credibility - but my effort as a power of The Mind Motivational Speaker and Brain Tumor Survivor, driving a Toyota Blindfolded was to prove they were safer after the fact and how a positive mind can make you over come almost any obsticle in life!

With a "If I Can Do It - YOU Can Do It Attitude: and my Fund Raiser Stunt that caught the attention of all, hopefully will motivate them to get their act together again?

See Here:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2016 Prius Four is a smarter, sleeker version o... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Solarman 1
News Toyota adding 180 jobs at Indiana factory (Sep '14) Jan '15 Sirmixalot 2
News Toyota to donate $1 million to the Detroit Inst... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Kevin 3
News Eric Holder blasts Toyota's "shameful" deceptio... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Far Away 1
News Toyota gives Muppets a lift to Tinseltown (Mar '14) Mar '14 Root 4
News Auto review: 2014 Toyota Corolla gets its S tog... (Mar '14) Mar '14 david_J 1
News Toyota Corolla Japanese Pig Lips (Aug '13) Feb '14 Devilsadvocate 103
More from around the web