FEMA prepares for tornado relief

FEMA prepares for tornado relief

There are 101 comments on the The Washington Post story from Mar 5, 2012, titled FEMA prepares for tornado relief. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Unlike last summer, when major weather events nearly drained the federal disaster relief fund, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Monday that it has roughly $3.7 billion for assistance to individual homeowners and to communities affected by all major natural disasters after the agency approves requests for federal aid from state ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Secular Human and AntiParty”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 5, 2012
Just curious, how do the Ron Paul supporters feel about this? If you think FEMA should be eliminated, hot would you propose we deal with this disaster?
Lance Winslow

United States

#2 Mar 5, 2012
Spent Bastard wrote:
Just curious, how do the Ron Paul supporters feel about this? If you think FEMA should be eliminated, hot would you propose we deal with this disaster?
Extraterrestrial aid; no cost to taxpayers.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#3 Mar 5, 2012
FEMA should be eliminated. We are in debt and can not afford more government debt. People should have insurance to cover their damage. Republican Governor Daniels should not ask for government assistance.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 Mar 5, 2012
If the government uses the $3.7 billion in FEMA they should reduce the defense and military budgets to make up the money and pay for it.
Ross

Ocala, FL

#5 Mar 5, 2012
Where the hell is odummy on these tornados? If Bush had waited 5 days without a word or a visit to those who suffered this type of devastation, the press and the luny left would have been screaming.

But the great impersonator gets a pass. What a lazy bastard this president is.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 5, 2012
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>Extraterrestrial aid; no cost to taxpayers.
Awesome!

Since: Dec 07

Clermont, Florida

#7 Mar 5, 2012
Then get with it FEMA...you should already have plans in place for disasters. It shouldn't be a big surprise people need help. Good think the earthquake in San Fran wasn't so bad this morning.

FEMA should be pulled out of Homeland Security and be its own entity as it was in the 90's.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 5, 2012
Tony wrote:
FEMA should be eliminated. We are in debt and can not afford more government debt. People should have insurance to cover their damage. Republican Governor Daniels should not ask for government assistance.
I understand your position, but "should have" is not going to help these people now. What do you propose we do with this particular situation? These people are in a desperate situation. We are the UNITED States of America and have to look out for our own.
appalled

Waynesburg, KY

#9 Mar 5, 2012
FEMA is not wanted.

Location hidden

#10 Mar 5, 2012
Ross wrote:
Where the hell is odummy on these tornados? If Bush had waited 5 days without a word or a visit to those who suffered this type of devastation, the press and the luny left would have been screaming.
Ross, I was hoping that we could have one civil debate. What was I thinking? Is referring to the President in derogatory terms going to advance this discussion? If you want to throw bombs why don't you find another place to do it. These poor people are republicans, democrats and independents, but most importantly they are fellow Americans.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#11 Mar 5, 2012
Ross wrote:
Bush done such a wonderful job with Hurricane Katrina. NOT hehehehe
D Vindice

Sacramento, CA

#12 Mar 5, 2012
Thousands of non-affected welfare recipients already are coming out of the ghettos to put in false claims.
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#13 Mar 5, 2012
The republican play book: All Government is evil, until it affects me.

Get rid of Fema. Let the states figure it out. Maybe they should have better building codes, or buy flood insurance and have house insurance.

Although it maybe tragic, having tornadoes and hurricanes, like having snow storms are NATURAL weather occurances. Deal with it like the Northern States do. Name me one time in the past 10 years that a Northern State has recieved federal disaster money for a winter related incident? Yeah, I can't think of any either.

If Governor Daniels ask for help, than he is no better than the other ones who badmouth the governmnet and yet want the federal taxpayers to bail out your daumba** state.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#14 Mar 5, 2012
I thought Fema was a bone in our arse.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#15 Mar 5, 2012
Spent Bastard wrote:
<quoted text>I understand your position, but "should have" is not going to help these people now. What do you propose we do with this particular situation? These people are in a desperate situation. We are the UNITED States of America and have to look out for our own.
By the Republican views "should have" can go on forever so when does it end? If the money is spent out of FEMA it should be paid for some how. Cut from foreign aide or the defense and military budgets to pay for this disaster.
My view is yes we are the United States but we seem to care more about others countries more than the United States. We should take care of our own first weather they are rich or poor if fallin on rough times.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#16 Mar 5, 2012
Republicans say everyone should provide for themselves so the republicans that were hit by the tornado this is your time to provide for yourself and do not ask for government help or take any government help.

Location hidden

#17 Mar 5, 2012
Well, this thread has quickly degraded into a middle school food fight. I was hoping we could put the partisan talking points aside and have a real ideological discussion. Seems like some aren't interested in an honest debate.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 5, 2012
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
By the Republican views "should have" can go on forever so when does it end? If the money is spent out of FEMA it should be paid for some how. Cut from foreign aide or the defense and military budgets to pay for this disaster.
My view is yes we are the United States but we seem to care more about others countries more than the United States. We should take care of our own first weather they are rich or poor if fallin on rough times.
Tony, thanks for a thoughtful response. As a liberal leaning independent I also think we way outspend and need to make cuts. I'm in agreement with you on the areas of cuts as well. What do we do about this immediate issue?
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#19 Mar 5, 2012
Tony wrote:
If the government uses the $3.7 billion in FEMA they should reduce the defense and military budgets to make up the money and pay for it.
How about they just use your welfare money for it, or, better yet, how about they let their insurance policies cover the loss?
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#20 Mar 5, 2012
Spent Bastard wrote:
<quoted text>Tony, thanks for a thoughtful response. As a liberal leaning independent I also think we way outspend and need to make cuts. I'm in agreement with you on the areas of cuts as well. What do we do about this immediate issue?
I feel we should take care of the American people in need. Like you I think we should help Americans. I know how many of these people feel because I was hit by a tornado and it took the roof off right over my head and destroyed my home. We were very lucky we only had minor injuries and no deaths but many in our neighborhood had severe injuries and a few deaths.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Tornado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Daily 202: How Richard Shelby is trying to ... Feb '16 goonsquad 1
News D.C.-area tornado watch (Jun '15) Jun '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 7
Tornado strikes Los Angeles for first time in a... (Dec '14) Dec '14 RayOne 1
News Storms, possible tornado forecast for metro Det... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Steve 2
News Recent tornado outbreak in South may set new re... (Apr '11) Jun '14 ThomasA 416
News Effective tornado-proof houses and rooms: can t... (May '14) May '14 not Angels harps 1
News Obama to view tornado destruction in Arkansas (May '14) May '14 barefoot2626 52
More from around the web