Top general urges caution on Syria op...

Top general urges caution on Syria options, rebels

There are 54 comments on the courant.com story from Mar 18, 2013, titled Top general urges caution on Syria options, rebels. In it, courant.com reports that:

General Martin Dempsey testifies in Washington on the Defense Department's response to the attacks on US facilities in Benghazi WASHINGTON - The United States has a less clear understanding of Syria's opposition than it did last year, the top U.S. military officer said on Monday, in comments likely to disappoint rebels hoping that America might be ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at courant.com.

check it out

Windsor, Australia

#21 Mar 20, 2013
Oliver cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you get tired of repeating the same Bullshit your Corporate media have fed you?
You are just repeating your side's dogma hoping others will believe your twisted view. Your world is a fairly sad place to be in, apparently. You must lead a poor life, that knows little humour. And so serious. Change the world to your thinking? I don't think so. You want to blame big companies, big governments, Jews, anyone? Sure, good luck to you. It has to be someone else's fault in your side's view. Your side has the inside knowledge you know the REAL truth. Consiracy theories are boundless in your world.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#22 Mar 20, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>I think Assad can do that all by himself. He doesn't need any outside help to trash his country. If he has to kill or terrorize every second Syrian citizen to hold onto his power, than so be it.
I think he believes he is playing some war game like "Battleship" and just loves to blow shit up, what possible reason could he have for killing so many and destroying so much?
mxlplx

United States

#23 Mar 20, 2013
Oh, I don't know. Maybe its like an analog to dreaming up WMD in Iraq, then invading the country and killing a hundred thousand Iraqis.

Your premise is that Assad killed protesting civilians, sparking a civil war and influx of jihadis.

My premise is that that's not much different than invading Iraq on false pretenses and killing protesting civilians, sparking a civil war and influx of jihadis.
check it out

Windsor, Australia

#24 Mar 20, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe its like an analog to dreaming up WMD in Iraq, then invading the country and killing a hundred thousand Iraqis.
Your premise is that Assad killed protesting civilians, sparking a civil war and influx of jihadis.
My premise is that that's not much different than invading Iraq on false pretenses and killing protesting civilians, sparking a civil war and influx of jihadis.
I guess one alternative is the international community do zip in Syria and then we can guess here on this forum how many Syrian citizens will become maimed, homeless, stateless or blown up over that time.
Just like the Rwandan killing fields we can then discuss the international ramifications of doing nothing, saying nothing and turning our backs on victims.
Syrian

New London, CT

#25 Mar 21, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
Exactly!! Fortunately, Obama is no Bush.
Oliver cromwell

Fleetwood, UK

#26 Mar 21, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>I guess one alternative is the international community do zip in Syria and then we can guess here on this forum how many Syrian citizens will become maimed, homeless, stateless or blown up over that time.
Just like the Rwandan killing fields we can then discuss the international ramifications of doing nothing, saying nothing and turning our backs on victims.
Just who exactly is WE? talking of WE and by that i mean You,why didn't WE do anything about South Africa,why are WE not doing anything about Palestine.
mxlplx

United States

#27 Mar 21, 2013
I recently watched a documentary on the Iranian CIA coup. It's very revealing. Apparently, Mosaddegh was not even a communist. It was just a pretext Dulles used to push Eisenhower into authorizing the coup. Zahedi, who had been previously blackballed by the Brits for collaborating with Nazi interests, was chosen to replace Mosaddegh and the Shah, sipping Campari in a Roman square without a clue in the world, was whisked back to Tehran as the regime's figurehead.

This was truly dirty business, initiated by Churchill, refused by Truman and accelerated by Eisenhower. It was, if not the beginning, then a seminal event in a long and violent history of our American interventions by proxy abroad.

And we in America still can't help but wonder how in the world could the nation of Iran have done such a dirty and unprovoked deed as seizing the American Embassy.

Study the Iranian coup and its aftermath to understand the event of today. The weave of its fabric is repeated over and over, with only its time and place changing.
mxlplx

United States

#28 Mar 21, 2013
[QUOTE who="check it out, I'm in Oz"]<quoted text>I guess one alternative is the international community do zip in Syria and then we can guess here on this forum how many Syrian citizens will become maimed, homeless, stateless or blown up over that time.
Just like the Rwandan killing fields we can then discuss the international ramifications of doing nothing, saying nothing and turning our backs on victims.[/QUOTE]

LOL

You still have NO clue as to what motivates decisions in American interventionist circles. Look behind the sequined curtain.
mxlplx

United States

#29 Mar 21, 2013
Lovely description of our promotion of democratic institutions, don't you think?

SAVAK was the secret police, domestic security and intelligence service established by Iran's Mohammad Reza Shah with the help of the United States' Central Intelligence Agency (the CIA). SAVAK operated from 1957 to 1979, when the Pahlavi dynasty was overthrown. SAVAK has been described as Iran's "most hated and feared institution" prior to the revolution of 1979 because of its practice of torturing and executing opponents of the Pahlavi regime. At its peak, the organization had as many as 60,000 agents serving in its ranks.

SAVAK had the power to censor the media, screen applicants for government jobs, "and according to reliable Western source,[11] use all means necessary, including torture, to hunt down dissidents.

In 1961 the Iranian authorities dismissed the agency's first director, General Teymur Bakhtiar; he later became a political dissident. In 1970 SAVAK agents assassinated him, disguising the deed as an accident.

A turning point in SAVAK's reputation for ruthless brutality was reportedly an attack on a gendarmerie post in the Caspian village of Siahkal in February 1971, although it is also reported to have tortured to death a Shia cleric, Ayatollah Muhammad Reza Sa'idi, in 1970. According to Iranian political historian Ervand Abrahamian, after this attack SAVAK interrogators were sent abroad for "scientific training to prevent unwanted deaths from 'brute force.' Brute force was supplemented with the bastinado; sleep deprivation; extensive solitary confinement; glaring searchlights; standing in one place for hours on end; nail extractions; snakes (favored for use with women); electrical shocks with cattle prods, often into the rectum; cigarette burns; sitting on hot grills; acid dripped into nostrils; near-drownings; mock executions; and an electric chair with a large metal mask to muffle screams while amplifying them for the victim. This latter contraption was dubbed the Apollo—an allusion to the American space capsules. Prisoners were also humiliated by being raped, urinated on, and forced to stand naked.

Writing at the time of the Shah's overthrow, TIME magazine described SAVAK as having "long been Iran's most hated and feared institution" which had "tortured and murdered thousands of the Shah's opponents." The Federation of American Scientists also found it guilty of "the torture and execution of thousands of political prisoners" and symbolizing "the Shah's rule from 1963-79." The FAS list of SAVAK torture methods included "electric shock, whipping, beating, inserting broken glass and pouring boiling water into the rectum, tying weights to the testicles, and the extraction of teeth and nails."
George

Red Deer, Canada

#30 Mar 21, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
You do not believe Assad is bombing his own people??? I never said there was Chemical weapons there but I do say Assad is a butcher.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#31 Mar 21, 2013
Oliver cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
Just who exactly is WE? talking of WE and by that i mean You,why didn't WE do anything about South Africa,why are WE not doing anything about Palestine.
Because WE are talking about Syria right now, to the South African forum or the Palestine forum if you want to discuss those, but for now WE would like to discuss the problem of the international community doing nothing in Syria.
oliver cromwell

Fleetwood, UK

#32 Mar 21, 2013
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Because WE are talking about Syria right now, to the South African forum or the Palestine forum if you want to discuss those, but for now WE would like to discuss the problem of the international community doing nothing in Syria.
Just who makes up this International Community? its a little like that other Buzz phrase the Free World,or the coalition of the willing,when i mentioned those other Countries i was pointing out the selective interventions of WE and the total hypocricy of it and your Bullshit.
Chris

Toronto, Canada

#33 Mar 21, 2013
George wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not believe Assad is bombing his own people??? I never said there was Chemical weapons there but I do say Assad is a butcher.
As pro-Wstern wars propagandist, you would call Assad a butcher. Dirty propaganda against one man is CIA designed, and widely practised propaganda method in all Regime Change conflicts manufactured by the West. Such propaganda appeals to lynching mob mentality, which is common among unthinking, and uneducated people. And designers of propaganda scripts count on that mentality, as it is ready to do harm.

Although in all of targeted countries, the governing was collective, the thunder of propaganda isolated one man: Yugoslavia – Milosevic, Iraq - Saddam Hussein; Libya – Gaddafi; Syria – Assad. It is well thought out propaganda method.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#34 Mar 21, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
As pro-Wstern wars propagandist, you would call Assad a butcher. Dirty propaganda against one man is CIA designed, and widely practised propaganda method in all Regime Change conflicts manufactured by the West. Such propaganda appeals to lynching mob mentality, which is common among unthinking, and uneducated people. And designers of propaganda scripts count on that mentality, as it is ready to do harm.
Although in all of targeted countries, the governing was collective, the thunder of propaganda isolated one man: Yugoslavia – Milosevic, Iraq - Saddam Hussein; Libya – Gaddafi; Syria – Assad. It is well thought out propaganda method.
But you did not answer my question!!!!
check it out

Windsor, Australia

#35 Mar 21, 2013
Oliver cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
In "We', I meant all those people who blog on this forum. The West are only debating about providing assistance tto the rebels at this stage.
I know that you and your fellow comrades protested vigoursly against South Africa, Palestine or any other cause that your masters tell that you can complain about. I know that you hope that Assad's regime would use his military might to crush his oppostition. No compromise for peace would be tolerated in cults view.
You complain mightliy about the suffering of Palestine, but silent on their suffering in Syria. You don't care about the Palestinians, only use them to further your cause. As soom as they were against the Syrian regime they would be tossed away by the political left.
check it out

Windsor, Australia

#36 Mar 21, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You still have NO clue as to what motivates decisions in American interventionist circles. Look behind the sequined curtain.
What you suffer from is a disease called paranoia. You should hang out with truth beats lies.
ifbxuscoc

United States

#37 Mar 21, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>You are just repeating your side's dogma hoping others will believe your twisted view. Your world is a fairly sad place to be in, apparently. You must lead a poor life, that knows little humour. And so serious. Change the world to your thinking? I don't think so. You want to blame big companies, big governments, Jews, anyone? Sure, good luck to you. It has to be someone else's fault in your side's view. Your side has the inside knowledge you know the REAL truth. Consiracy theories are boundless in your world.
Sometimes cromwells arguments are wooden but i havent seen fringe conspiracy theories. Why do we support israel? How does israel fit into vital us strategic interests? A trading partner. Egypt s canal is more important. What do we get from this vaunted relationship? Now how much do the israelis consider the us its bread and butter? And this is no conspiracy. The israelis have a log and track every call made in the us. Every call. Israel is a distractor.
Top General

United States

#38 Mar 21, 2013
Caution! Caution! Something smells fishy in Finland! Something's rotten in Denmark. Something's afoot on Fantasy Island. I smell al Qaeda in our midst! LOL
mxlplx

United States

#39 Mar 21, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>What you suffer from is a disease called paranoia. You should hang out with truth beats lies.
What you suffer from is selective "Mother Teresa Syndrome", tainted with a dash of myopia and a dollop of historical amnesia.
mxlplx

United States

#40 Mar 21, 2013
George wrote:
<quoted text>
but for now WE would like to discuss the problem of the international community doing nothing in Syria.
What do you mean,'doing nothing'?

Didn't we single-handedly cut Kofi Annan off at the knees? That seems pretty pro-active to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Syria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bring Syria's Assad and his backers to account now Oct '16 RUSSIAN WAR CRIMES 3
News U.S., Russia Spar Over Syria at U.N. Oct '16 RUSSIAN TERRORISTS 12
News Russia lawmakers mull indefinite military prese... Oct '16 RUSSIA is BANKRUPT 2
News Eye Opener: Possible breakthrough in Syria's br... Sep '16 Ste 1
News PM: ISIS expelled from territory along Syria-Tu... Sep '16 Rockstar 2
News Leaked proposal: US offering Russia military pa... Jul '16 USA Today 1
News Joe Biden fires back at Syria critics Jun '16 Le Jimbo 2
More from around the web