Indiana poised to enter right-to-work era as unions prep protest amid Super Bowl festivities

Full story: The Washington Post

State lawmakers were poised Wednesday to pass legislation that would make Indiana the Rust Belt's first right-to-work state and prohibit labor contracts requiring workers to pay union representation fees.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Unbelievable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is ofrced pay for a job. Union members pay for the benefits their democratically elected leaders negotiate for them. The rest of society benefits from the floor union work places provide.
The right to work crowd fall into three groups: The execs who don't want to deal with unions, 2: Those so ignorant they will work against their own best interest, and 3) Freeloaders.
Unless you have the "Right To Work" you can not get a job where there is a union unless you pay union dues.. That's called FORCED to pay for your job. In a "Right To Work" state you have the option to either join the union BY CHOICE or not join the union BY CHOICE. If Liberals are so Pro-Choice then are you so against choice of joining a union or not? We're not trying to take your right away from joining.. so why should you take our right away from NOT joining?

FYI.. I'm not ANY of the three you listed above.. Thank the Lord I have the Right to choose!
Unbelievable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if I don't accept claims from a ardical Reich-wing 'think tank' dedicated to destroying Unions.
NRTWC spent $1,440,000 on lobbying in 2007, and $930,000 in 2008, according to its lobbying disclosure reports.[7] In its 2007 financial report to the IRS, NRTWC reported $4,871,212 in "lobbying and political expenses.
NRTWC opposes the Employee Free Choice Act, calling it "forced unionism" and claiming that it would "empower union bosses to force a business's employees to accept a union as their exclusive bargaining agent solely through the acquisition of signed union authorization cards from employees in a particular bargaining unit." [3]
NRTWC opposed the nomination of then-Congresswoman Hilda Solis as President Barack Obama's Labor Secretary. NRTWC's Mark Mix called Solis "a die-hard forced unionism activist who apparently believes that all workers should be gathered into union collectives whether they like it or not." [4] An NRTWC press release stated, "The U.S. Department of Labor is not supposed to be the U.S. Department of Big Labor. The Labor secretary should be on the side of workers, not union bosses who seek to trample workers' rights." [5]
Card check taking away a persons right to cast a "PRIVATE" ballot! That sir is Un-American!

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who uses the propaganda term "forced union states' doesn't deal in facts. There is NO SUCH THING as a "forced union state.' No one is forced to join a union to get a job. They just can;t freeload on the befits the union wins for all workers.
BTW: I can't find any link to support your assertions.
I posted the link and on that page there are references and data info is cited and verifiable, look it up yourself. I was raised in a multiple member union family as was my husband's family. I know how they operate and it's real effect at the plant levels. My dad alone paid tens of thousands of dollars in union dues to an organization that politically lobbied against his own political interests and beliefs. Heck, they did and still do endorse the man and administration that has stripped a huge faction of the UAW under the auspices of Government Motors, members retirement benefits and could still lose up to 70% of their pensions pending final outcomes in bankruptcy court. We didn't strip unions of collective bargaining rights, but giving workers a chance to opt out sure does require the unions to become something employees WANT. Accountability to the people. Very American in my thinking.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Oh and Placitas, you left out a 'category', though lumping folks into groups with insulting labels shows an insecurity in your position; but you left out business owners. Who employ people.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Now they'll have to sell it to more than just elite politicians....
DENG

Chengdu, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

part of the crony capitalism

SAY, REAL INDEPENDENT UNIONS. AND OF COURSE THIS IS WHERE THE REAL LIBERAL POLITICAL PARTY WILL ORIGINATE TOO, AND THAT'S VERY WELL UNDERSTOOD BY THE ANTI-ORGANIZED LABOR IDEOLOGUES THERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

BUT EVEN A CRONY UNION IS BETTER THAN NO UNION AND DOES EMBELLISH THE UNION WITH A LEGAL RESPECTABILITY THAT DOES GIVE THE UNION SOME CREDIBILITY BY LAW.

UNIONS RAISE WAGES, GIVES LABOR MORE OF THE SHARE OF WHAT THEY PRODUCE WITH THEIR INDIVIDUAL LABOR, THIS IS WHAT'S NEEDED IN THE UNITED STATES NOW, NOT MORE CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENT PROFITS BUT MONEY CIRCULATING THROUGH THE ECONOMY THAT COMES FROM PRODUCTIVE JOB WAGES.

DENG wrote:

Indiana poised to enter right-to-work era as unions prep protest amid Super Bowl festivities

WORLD HISTORY IS FULL OF SLAVE REBELLIONS AND THE UNITED STATES LOOKS LIKE IT IS NEXT ON THE LIST

That would be wonderful, and long overdue; but the big unions are not part of the answer, they have become part of the crony capitalism that needs to be addressed.
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>That would be wonderful, and long overdue; but the big unions are not part of the answer, they have become part of the crony capitalism that needs to be addressed.

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you have the "Right To Work" you can not get a job where there is a union unless you pay union dues.. That's called FORCED to pay for your job. In a "Right To Work" state you have the option to either join the union BY CHOICE or not join the union BY CHOICE. If Liberals are so Pro-Choice then are you so against choice of joining a union or not? We're not trying to take your right away from joining.. so why should you take our right away from NOT joining?
FYI.. I'm not ANY of the three you listed above.. Thank the Lord I have the Right to choose!
I don't give a damn if a worker joins a union or not. They just have to pay their fair share for all the benefits the union provides. Right-wingers on the other hand want to be freeloaders.

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>
Card check taking away a persons right to cast a "PRIVATE" ballot! That sir is Un-American!
No more than registering to vote does.

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>I posted the link and on that page there are references and data info is cited and verifiable, look it up yourself. I was raised in a multiple member union family as was my husband's family. I know how they operate and it's real effect at the plant levels. My dad alone paid tens of thousands of dollars in union dues to an organization that politically lobbied against his own political interests and beliefs. Heck, they did and still do endorse the man and administration that has stripped a huge faction of the UAW under the auspices of Government Motors, members retirement benefits and could still lose up to 70% of their pensions pending final outcomes in bankruptcy court. We didn't strip unions of collective bargaining rights, but giving workers a chance to opt out sure does require the unions to become something employees WANT. Accountability to the people. Very American in my thinking.
That link goes to a Reich-wing propaganda site.

So your old man was too gutless to go find a non-union employer? He wanted to suck on the tit without paying his fair share.

My dad was depreciation era dust-bowl FDR Democrat and then a union member (UAW & Chicago Flats Janitor) for 40+ years.

Had Romney and the other Reich-wingers had their way GM and over a MILLION jobs would have disappeared. Auto Bailout Saved More Than 1 Million Jobs, Study Says http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2010/11/17/gm-ipo-...
cjrian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
No more than registering to vote does.
????????

Were you referring to REGISTERING voters, which we've been doing for many decades, or to Voter ID?

Lack of Voter ID laws, like Card Check, debases the individual vote.
Voter ID helps assure that ONLY legitimate voters cast ballots
Card Check subjects voters to intimidation and abuse to gather votes

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
So your old man was too gutless to go find a non-union employer? He wanted to suck on the tit without paying his fair share.
My dad was depreciation era dust-bowl FDR Democrat and then a union member (UAW & Chicago Flats Janitor) for 40+ years.
Had Romney and the other Reich-wingers had their way GM and over a MILLION jobs would have disappeared. Auto Bailout Saved More Than 1 Million Jobs, Study Says http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2010/11/17/gm-ipo-...
He had plenty of non-union work on the side, and very successfully supported and raised a large family of successful kids. They didn't bail it out, silly.
Your ASSumptions and your need to insult people who don't agree with you destroys any and all credibility your voice may have had with any thinking mind reading this, including mine.
I have been respectful of you, while stating my position and my thinking.
I can see why you're intimidated, though.
From here on out, you're on ignore, troll. Poof! Gone.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

My whole family belongs to one union, or another. You can't get a good job in Illinois unless you join a Union. First you pay an initiation fee to the leadership under the table. Then you pay quarterly for the rest of your life. You work very hard, and cover for the drunks protected by the brotherhood. You cannot fire them. If you die before you retire your family doesn't get one dime retirement. It is a crime what they do.
Paul Revere

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Saved lazy azz morons jobs. They should have let the auto makers go under. How many times do we need to save a failed business model? Time for them to either make it or not. Im sick of bailing out stupid union employees with my personal and business taxes!
Unbelievable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't give a damn if a worker joins a union or not. They just have to pay their fair share for all the benefits the union provides. Right-wingers on the other hand want to be freeloaders.
Oh.. there we go with the "Fair Share" BS!! Dude, I pay more then my "Fair Share" and I refuse to be FORCED to pay ANYONE for my job or to speak for me! No thugs are going to FORCE me into paying them just to work!
Unbelievable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Cat74 wrote:
My whole family belongs to one union, or another. You can't get a good job in Illinois unless you join a Union. First you pay an initiation fee to the leadership under the table. Then you pay quarterly for the rest of your life. You work very hard, and cover for the drunks protected by the brotherhood. You cannot fire them. If you die before you retire your family doesn't get one dime retirement. It is a crime what they do.
Unions are the legalized Mafia now-a-days!

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
Saved lazy azz morons jobs. They should have let the auto makers go under. How many times do we need to save a failed business model? Time for them to either make it or not. Im sick of bailing out stupid union employees with my personal and business taxes!
Or instead of forcing our auto companies to compete with foreign companies that had no EPA restrictions, no benefits for their employees and not even a minimum wage, we could've imposed tariffs on those foreign companies and leveled the playing field for AMERICAN workers, duh. If you're bitching about subsidizing a company, you and I pay the medical benefits and food subsidies for most of Wal Mart's employees, it's called Medicaid and AFDC....
GM and Ford made and still make the best trucks on earth, a little protection in the form of tariffs would've gone a long way. Free trade agreements were designed to bankrupt domestic production and cause companies to move overseas.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

WHERE were the UNIONS when NAFTA was signed?
Paul Revere

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>Or instead of forcing our auto companies to compete with foreign companies that had no EPA restrictions, no benefits for their employees and not even a minimum wage, we could've imposed tariffs on those foreign companies and leveled the playing field for AMERICAN workers, duh. If you're bitching about subsidizing a company, you and I pay the medical benefits and food subsidies for most of Wal Mart's employees, it's called Medicaid and AFDC....
GM and Ford made and still make the best trucks on earth, a little protection in the form of tariffs would've gone a long way. Free trade agreements were designed to bankrupt domestic production and cause companies to move overseas.
I want to cut them off also. I am sick of stupid poor people popping out kids they cannot afford. They all seem to have money for their cigs, beer, big screen tvs and other crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories - Super Bowl Discussions

Search the Top Stories - Super Bowl Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Seahawks, Broncos favorites for Super Bowl rematch May '14 kentuc 1
Teens as Young as 13 Rescued From Super Bowl Se... Feb '14 Jace 1
On black quarterbacks and the Super Bowl Feb '14 Betsy Ross 1
Arnold Schwarzenegger Drinks Bud Light for $3M ... (Jan '14) Feb '14 Governator 2
Unknown school boasts more Super Bowl players t... Feb '14 Laughing bear Fan 2
Groundhog Day and Super Bowl Coincide for 1st Time Feb '14 Deep sandhu 15
Bill Oa Reilly to interview Obama on Super Bowl... (Jan '14) Feb '14 independent common sense 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••